Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 22nd February 2022 | Kick-Off: 19.45pm
Live on Valley Pass

Referee: Sam Purkiss - Previously officiated Charlton on three occasions, all on a Tuesday night. Last time was in our 6-0 win away at Plymouth Argyle, April 2021.

Introduction
Jackson's mentor gave him a schooling on Saturday as his pupils looked towards their summer holidays. I haven't seen a team down tools like that for 11 years and the club has the same feel about it now as it did before the famous Chris Powell summer overhaul. Safety first they say, well we have to get there first before big changes are needed. Everyone will have their own opinions on what is needed, but I think taking a trip down memory line to those 11 years ago could refocus the mind when we are all feeling negative and possibly quite apathetic towards our club right now. Continuity and clarity is needed, and if Jackson is to get the chance to rebuild the club to a level where he was such an integral part of, full autonomy is required. Unfortunately, we have another 14 games to 'look forward to' before we get there. Next up is a club where Jackson's mentor had his greatest success thus far, Milton Keynes. 

Opposition
Manager: Liam Manning (48.7% win rate)
Stadium: Stadium MK
League Position: 3rd | Form: WWWDDW

Milton Keynes played Sunderland away in their previous league game, winning 2-1, their last line-up was:

Cumming
O'Hora | Darling | Lewington
Watson | Coventry | McEachran | Harvie
Twine
Parrott | Eisa

A win away at Sunderland, wow I can barely remember what that feels like even considering the fact I made the trip to the North East for Jackson's first game in charge. Where has that spirit, desire, and determination gone? Milton Keynes seem to have it in abundance right now with an added sprinkle of quality on top. A team in fine form having lost just once this calendar year, incredibly at home to League Two destined Doncaster Rovers, Liam Manning's side have picked up an impressive 22 points in their last 11, conceding only 6 in that time - we have conceded 11 in our last 5...

A team that rarely changes and never deviates from their principles, the side that won at Sunderland differed by only 5 changes to the team that won the reverse fixture in August. That evening (we always seem to play Milton Keynes on a night game), the lively front two of Parrott and Eisa turned the game around and ran out comfortable winners albeit a scoreline that we have been on the wrong end of 8 times this season, 2-1.

Without fail, Scott Twine is Milton Keynes' danger man. 13 goals and 9 assists this season, only ex-Addick Michael Smith at table toppers Rotherham has a greater goal involvement than the man MK signed from Swindon last summer. Goals from outside the box is a bit of a speciality for the attacking midfielder and if afforded the same time and space that we provided Oxford and the likes of Brannagan on Saturday, he's likely to cause us more misery. Behind him are two mobile and comfortable ball players in Conor Coventry and Josh McEachran. Coventry, on loan from West Ham, spent the first half of this season at Peterborough and the 21 year-old will be looking to finish the season strong to get a move back to the Championship and become a regular fixture next term. McEachran seems to have been around forever. The former Chelsea youngster went through the system at the West London club including 5 loan spells before moving down the road to Brentford on a permanent basis. A player who represented England at all the under age levels is one who never really lived up to his potential but is certainly a good and technical player at this level. 

Charlton Team News
With Clare suspended for 3 games, Inniss unable to play Saturday-Tuesday, and the 3 main strikers all out injured, we look weak and unable to pose any kind of threat. A team that changes as much as ours this season, and a defence that changes as often as ours is never going to succeed. When we won promotion in previous years you could name the starting eleven most weeks; you certainly knew who would be in defence such the importance of the position. Unfortunately, we are so far from that it's quite depressing.

A change of shape, and no doubt personnel will be required, and I think switching to the diamond that Jackson did in the second half against Bolton and on Saturday is the way we are likely to go. With Blackett-Taylor injured too, we ought to make the most of the amount of central midfielders we have in the squad.

One player who could potentially return to the squad is former Milton Keynes man, Scott Fraser. The Scot was in attendance on Saturday after recovering from COVID but whether this game comes a little too soon for the playmaker, we will find out Tuesday. If not, I anticipate he will be involved when we make the trip to Sheffield next weekend.

Subs: Henderson, Inniss, Pearce, John, Fraser, Jaiyesimi, Kanu

Prediction
It can't be any worse than Saturday and Jackson is right that maybe a game just a few days later is what is best, go out and put it right, show a bit of fight and passion and attitude that they want to be part of the club moving forward. Milton Keynes are a good side though (how have we fallen so far behind them?) and a draw would be a good result.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Milton Keynes
Burstow

Comments

• edited February 2022
    People may think I am well too optimistic but I think it's important to say I have never left a game early but I did yesterday, I didn't see the fourth, I didn't even see the 75th minute. Something has to change and I hope a point on Tuesday night can restore a little bit of fight going into the last 13 games from Wednesday onwards.
  • edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    Christ, I’m still getting over the last match!
    I am going to Prague this week so got lots to do, needed to find time to get this out. One of the most depressing write ups I have done. 
  • Excellent preview. 
    When you sign injury prone players like Inniss and Aneke you have to accept that they will be missing a fair amount of games. 
    Our problem is that the squad is not good enough and when we pick up a few injuries the players coming in are not what is needed if we want to challenge at the top of the table. 
    I fully expect to get beaten on Tuesday so shall be saving myself for a day out in Sheffield Saturday. 
    Charlton 1 MK 3.
  • edited February 2022
    Do not like the look of our probable forward line, needs a change with pretty much everything, so lets see how our loans do, season is over, lets experiment a little.

McG
    Gunter  Lavelle  Famewo  Castillo
    John Dobson Gilbey
    Fraser  Lee
    Kanu
  • With an even weaker line-up than on Saturday, no need to expect anything more than another solid away win 0-3.
  • Thanks for the preview. 
    I think Matthews is the weak link in our defence. 
    Time for radical change. 
    If Innis can’t do 90 three times a week - give him 20 mins up front on Tuesday, or give Kanu / Campbell a start. 
    Also, when are the Spurs/Chelsea loanees getting a chance ? Could drop Lee or Leko to stay within the loan limit. 

No point in approaching this game in the same way as Oxford - we will just get battered again, and we are going to need a decent goal difference when our relegation battle starts in mid March. 
  • Mac 
    Lavelle. Pearce. Famewo. 
    Jay Dobson Fraser Morgan Castillo
    Kanu Burstow

At least we will have players playing in their own positions and the kids up front can hardly do any worse.

• If Scott Fraser is even three quarters fit he must start in place of Lee or Gilbey (preferably Lee). I don't want to see Matthews involved at all (would even prefer Gunter!!!). I don't think Jackson will change the formation (at least at the start), but think he should change to a back four. We must start to tighten up our defence. It was way too easy for Oxford to carve us open on Saturday.

There needs to be a massive response after the terrible display on Saturday, but I can't see it happening. A tough evening I think and another defeat (and no goals scored).
  • Sponsored links:

• no idea who will be on the bench or what formation we will play after the Oxford game, but pretty sure we will not beat MK Dons.
  • With the same group of players, it will be a miracle for them to change their mindset and to get anything out of this game. If we let in less than Saturday, it will be a good result
  • Harness
    Elewere Lavelle Pearce Famewo 
    Dobson
    DJ Fraser John
    Burstow Kanu

It's left field, but I'm going 4 centre halves, as we have loads of them - I'm assuming Inniss won't make it.. Them randomly chuck some midfielders in there, with a couple if teenagers up front. Can't be any worse than yesterday.

0-3 MK damage limitation, ultimately unsuccessful, but progress. 
  • Astonished at these odds 

• 3-0 to MK
  • Looking forward to it , the stench of miserableness and desperation at the club is a bit of me …
    love it , I’ll be furious if we’re not 0-2 down in the first 20 mins and everyone is foaming at the mouth…..
    i’m all over this , fuck happiness a complete load of fake of shit , this is real life hell and I can’t get enough of it 
    Oh dear.

Think oohaah has finally lost his sh*t !
  • I fully salute you for motivating yourself to write a preview for this game... I'm not even sure I'll be able to watch. The hope has left my body entirely.
  • We’ll see a reaction from the players and I expect two or three changes but it won’t be enough against a well drilled MK because basically we’re not very good. 0 - 2 
  • Sponsored links:

• I am a ST holder, I am not going, for no reason other than how pathetic they are.  Do your worst I couldn’t give a shit, not like they do either, roll on August.  Good preview however fair play for keeping it going.
  • edited February 2022
    I would put the strikers we have available on the bench and play without any. Flood the midfield and tell the midfielders to get in the box when they can.
  • apart from the injuries, something has gone very wrong with the players, they seem clueless and confused, not good .. all we can hope for is that after a 4-0 humiliation at home the chosen few can pull themselves together and get competitive, football wise and leave the petty feuds on the touchline .. MKD are one of the teams in top form .. they were very good when we played them at the start of the season and seem to have got better and better since then..
    A draw would be nice, a win even better .. I'll settle for one point t b h .. 

CAFC 1v Milton Keynes Dons 1
  • Charlton 0 MK Dons ..Fill Ya Boots
  • edited February 2022
    Jackson has lost the plot.  I expect a couple of forced changes, and a chance for this bunch of lackluster brainless footballers to keep the score down.

If Oxford can hit four easily, expect MKD to try and emmulate it.

0-3

• Jackson has lost the plot.  I expect a couple of forced changes, and a chance for this bunch of lackluster brainless footballers to keep the score down.

If Oxford can hit four easily, expect MKD to try and emmulate it.

0-3

If he names a starting line even close to the one on Saturday that will be it for me. He will fully deserve to be gone Wednesday morning 
  • Repeat of Saturday - unless we park the bus. Desparate times. 

• edited February 2022
    This is part 2 of Sandgaard’s Hull and Huddersfield.

4-1 to MK Dons and a lot of talk about why we didn’t go for Twine in the summer.
  • Another game that my season ticket will not get used and I very much doubt I will pay for the stream. 2 goal defeat at least. 
  • unfortunately another tonking incoming 1-4 leaving us glancing over our shoulder, but think that returnees in the next week or two will ease our nerves and give JJ plenty of assessment time. Roll on next season…