Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Leko has been screwed over by the fact we don't play wingers or wing-forwards. It's his only real position. Change of formation and he may serve a useful function
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    If I had any sense I’d save a tenner on the stream and out it on MKD at their current 7/4 and make a few quid out of our misfortune. I’d feel dirty though. Another tonking by at least 2, probably more. 
  • Options
    I would put the strikers we have available on the bench and play without any. Flood the midfield and tell the midfielders to get in the box when they can.
    Isn’t that what happened on Saturday though?
  • Options
    Don't know where the goals are going to come from.
    Don't know who is going to create the chances.
    Don't know how the defence is going to hold out, knowing that if they concede the forwards aren't going to get them out of trouble.
    Don't know if the manager will ever get them playing like when he was caretaker.
    Don't know if anyone knows what they are doing anymore.
    Comfortable 4-0 home win
  • Options
    I looked at the proposed team selection in the OP and thought we have no chance with that team.

I looked at every other suggested team and thought exactly the same.

A bit of a bugger really!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think we should just roll over and let them tickle our tummies.

Seriously though those players yesterday should nearly all be hurting and determined to give their all on Tuesday because it’s inevitable that some will be in the starting eleven. After all, their professional pride is under scrutiny and for some they need to earn another contract either with us or elsewhere.

Just get back to basics with a 4-3-3 (4-5-1) until we’ve got two senior strikers available for a 3-5-2. If we get beat it shouldn’t be for lack of effort or playing square pegs in round holes. It’s going to be a tall order but keep it tight and we might just nick something from the game. COYRs
  • Options
    If we can sort out our defence, midfield and attack we'll win this. Alternatively we'll lose 4-0.
  • Options
    We have no chance whatsoever and for that reason I am predicting a 5-4 victory for the Addicks. Can't defend but Leko with all of them to bring us 3 points and bring us to within a win of safety. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just common sense and basic human dignity dictate that Matthews, Leko and 'Rudolf bloody Nureyev' Gilbey must not start this fixture.

Pick that ball boy if necessary. He has more spine that those three wasters. 

That's all I care about at this sorry stage. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Mac 
    Lavelle. Pearce. Famewo. 
    Jay Dobson Fraser Morgan Castillo
    Kanu Burstow

At least we will have players playing in their own positions and the kids up front can hardly do any worse.

I’m convinced it will be more like this .  I can’t see how he can change to a back 4- we looked even worse with it .  
  • Options
    I would like to see Jackson take real consideration that as we don’t have anything like a recognised forward, other than Burstow who is still very, very young, he puts the emphasis on not getting beat.  I would love to see a lot of those players dropped after Saturday, but in reality, we don’t have many options going forward.

Mac

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Castillo

Dobson

Morgan Lee Gilbey Leko

Burstow

It’s about the best I can muster up, and I don’t want any of them starting other than Dobson, Burstow, Lavelle & Castillo on the basis that Dobson is good, and the other 3 haven’t pissed me off 

• Options
    My stomach feels weird thinking of this game, then it feels weirder having recalled Saturday.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Ke cabbles said:
    I would like to see Jackson take real consideration that as we don’t have anything like a recognised forward, other than Burstow who is still very, very young, he puts the emphasis on not getting beat.  I would love to see a lot of those players dropped after Saturday, but in reality, we don’t have many options going forward.

Mac

Dobson

Morgan Lee Gilbey Leko

Burstow

It’s about the best I can muster up, and I don’t want any of them starting other than Dobson, Burstow, Lavelle & Castillo on the basis that Dobson is good, and the other 3 haven’t pissed me off 

It’s going to be tough enough with 11 let alone 10 men mate (if Gilbey goes awol again) 😉. I’m with you though.
  • Options
    Got to change the keeper. And bring in the two Prem loan boys. And keep Burstow, Dobbo, Morgan. Add in Lavelle and Famewo. Maybe DJ. And Fraser if fit. That’s 10 of your starting line up. Put Kanu and Campbell on the bench. With Pearce, Gilbey, Lee, Matthews.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Ke cabbles said:

Mac

Dobson

Morgan Lee Gilbey Leko

Burstow

It’s going to be tough enough with 11 let alone 10 men mate (if Gilbey goes awol again) 😉. I’m with you though.
    Maybe check your maths 😉
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    IRedrobo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Ke cabbles said:

Mac

Dobson

Morgan Lee Gilbey Leko

Burstow

Maybe check your maths 😉
    I did, hence the brackets 😉
  • Options
    Clare looks to me like a very decent L1 midfielder, he doesn't convince as a central defender .. assuming that all the recently crocked or ailing 'proper' central defenders are fit and available, this should be a good chance to get back to playing defenders in their right positions and hopefully making our goal less vulnerable .. though as v Oxford, central defenders can do little about brilliant and deadly accurate long range hits on goal .. oh that our midfielders could be as accurate and confident of scoring from well outside the area
  • Options
    I knew this run of games was going to be tough, and the personnel that are missing make it all the harder.
    JJ needs backing and he still has my support, BUT something has happened, don't know what but it is written all over him.
    Can only see another defeat by 2 goals, But as most games i will be there, supporting the club i love.

BUT PLEASE can i see at least some of the players care about pulling on the shirt.

0-3 to the made up team from a made up town.

BUT FROM ME.................COMMON YOU REDS!!!!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would like to see Castillo & Nile John get a start because what was the point of even signing them on loan if we aren’t gonna play them
    They were token signings to fluff up the window to make it look good. In reality we signed a knackered Chucks and Fraser.

Also see Airman’s comments re Castillo, Bowyer did not want him, Chelsea did not want him back so it seems he was forced on us as part of the Chucks deal.
  • Options
    I wonder if JJ is required to select an attacking team by the owner and his son who have FA soccer experience but have vision of what they think soccer should be, even when all your strikers are incapacitated 
  • Options
    Something needs to change after Saturday. Playing two forwards and centre-backs in the centre-back positions would help. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jackson said Fraser had a rough time with covid, so unless it was kidology I’d be surprised if he’s even on the bench unfortunately. 
    I’d try AMB in goal.
    Lavelle had a good enough start to his time at Charlton, so would be happy to see him start today. 
    Doubt we’ll see Inniss after he seemed to be suffering on Saturday, which is a shame. A back three of Lavelle, Inniss and Famewo would be solid combo. 
    I’d play Purrington on the left and Jaiyesimi on the right. 
    I’d also play Burstow on his own up top, with Lee just behind him.
    Still gutted at the way the team folded after such a good start against Oxford. Their heads dropped, and the players, along with the crowd, went very quiet. In the first 20 mins players movement off the ball was excellent, but after they went into their shells it dried up completely. 
    It was good to see Burstow looking quite angry about it.
    1-3 to MKD unfortunately. They have everything to play for, and will love playing on a decent playing surface. 
    I’m almost hoping the trains are disrupted by the storms, so I won’t have to be there. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    MK Dons have a very attractive style of football, one that took over 3 years to cultivate and resulted in rave reviews when it worked and mass criticism when it didn’t. Only this season has it started to really click. 

We’ll most likely lose tomorrow, but before you boo the team off the pitch or moan about the 3-5-2,  remember that our management team took over halfway through this season and are trying to implement their own identity while steering us away from the bottom 4.

I’d highly recommend listening to ex-MK boss Russell Martin talk about the above, it very much reminds me of our situation: https://twitter.com/mkdonsfc/status/1368894275564445696?s=21

• Options
    We've got full live comms on BBC Radio London on Digital (so DAB radios or the Freeview channel but not online)
  • Options
    Just can't see where the goals are going to come from.  Fearing the worst. 
  • Options
    Give KANU and BURSTOW a start and at least it will keep their back line on thre toes, as opposed to bring them on late in the game, real shame about the injury list, why has Deji Elerewe not been given a run in the starting line up unless he is injured?
  • Options
    Not sure I'd play Purrington after the mare he had on Saturday. Even though he was playing out of position he looked slow and is going through one of his down phases.

The game should be a good test of Jackson's motivational and tactical skills - and though I've only followed the club and been a season ticket holder for 16 - 17 years now - I do know that this is the sort of situation where Charlton does spring surprises.  The first goal will be crucial - but if we get it may be Happy Valley again. Just a feeling one of the youngsters will make a name for themselves - they are the ones who tend to have Charlton written on their hearts, rather than some of the injury prone journeymen we seem to recruit at present.

• Options
    Is MacG still the 'best' keeper? After the debacle of Saturday and a few more recent in-decisions, perhaps time to let him continue his paternity leave and give the shout to Harness. Campbell showed well in his cameo too, worth a few more minutes?