Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 Six Nations

Comments

• Options
    Nervy kick but decent start.
  • Options
    Is it just me?  20 years ago I’d have been glued to the six nations and the World Cup. I’ve gradually lost interest over the years. Sitting watching Scotland v England today which I’dhave been pencilling in the diary for weeks ahead and I’m bored shitless. Being an old fart I hate all the stadium pyrotechnics and the lairy announcers. Above all I am struggling to watch with the constantly changing camera angles. Wide angle to close up to semi wide angle to close up to whatever all in the space off three seconds. I’m getting a migraine. And don’t start me with adverts painted on the pitch. And I vaguely remember rugby involving lots of running and throwing the egg to each other. Now it just seems to be big blokes running into other big blokes. Dull as ditchwater. I’m prepared to accept that it may just be me getting old and grumpy. I’m bored watching footy these days too but not nearly so much. Any others?
  • Options
    I think this game has been broken up by this ref wanting to call a penalty or free kick all every phase of play. Bar period in the first half when England wanted to play keep ball the game has been so stop/start. 
  • Options
    Is it just me?  20 years ago I’d have been glued to the six nations and the World Cup. I’ve gradually lost interest over the years. Sitting watching Scotland v England today which I’dhave been pencilling in the diary for weeks ahead and I’m bored shitless. Being an old fart I hate all the stadium pyrotechnics and the lairy announcers. Above all I am struggling to watch with the constantly changing camera angles. Wide angle to close up to semi wide angle to close up to whatever all in the space off three seconds. I’m getting a migraine. And don’t start me with adverts painted on the pitch. And I vaguely remember rugby involving lots of running and throwing the egg to each other. Now it just seems to be big blokes running into other big blokes. Dull as ditchwater. I’m prepared to accept that it may just be me getting old and grumpy. I’m bored watching footy these days too but not nearly so much. Any others?
    You beat me to it. I haven’t bothered watching too much in recent years but I switched over today after the charlton game. Really not too bothered by this game. Can’t understand why some of the pens and free kicks are being given either.
    I think of the Beaumont, Carling and even Martin Johnson eras, it’s like it was a completely different game.
  • Options
    And that’s why I’m going off Rugby Union more & more.

How on earth is that a penalty try & a sin bin?

Absolute garbage.
  • Options
    Like that, that is the most bullshit penalty. England player rolling away, scrum half comes and jumps on him to stop him moving. 
  • Options
    Am I missing something? A player gets sin binned because they decide he knocked forward deliberately? But the neck roll offence is just a penalty? Is knocking forward worse than dangerous play?
    🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Am I missing something? A player gets sin binned because they decide he knocked forward deliberately? But the neck roll offence is just a penalty? Is knocking forward worse than dangerous play?
    🤷🏻‍♂️
    Rubbish isn’t it?
  • Options
    I don't really understand how England lost that, even taking into account the sin-binning, etc.

At one stage, early in the second half the commentary team was talking about how Scotland had spent seven seconds in the England 22 up until then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phew, that was tense. Not often Scotland and Charlton both win
  • Options
    That said, the one thing I take away from the game is that Luke Cowan-Dickie needs to change his name by deed-poll to Luke Cowan-Chicken, just because....
  • Options

Absolute garbage.
    But it was rightly given as a penalty try and a sin bin. Did you think he didn’t deliberately pat the ball forward when he was only man there?
    It was correct call and commentary team didn’t really question it. 

Think this is setting up to be one of the best 6 Nations in years with at least 3 of the teams that will really fancy going all the way. Personally think Ireland should edge it but playing away to England and France is incredibly tough. 
  • Options
    Looking at the sin-binning and penalty try again, I don't think there's an international level official that wouldn't have come to the same decision.

Cowan-Dickie was at full stretch and obviously trying to knock the ball forward, because it was otherwise dropping perfectly for the Scottish winger, without any covering defenders.
  • Options
    Looking at the sin-binning and penalty try again, I don't think there's an international level official that wouldn't have come to the same decision.

Cowan-Dickie was at full stretch and obviously trying to knock the ball forward, because it was otherwise dropping perfectly for the Scottish winger, without any covering defenders.
    I've watched it several times now and he gets both hands to the ball.
    I don't know why he never tried to catch it.
  • Options
    England weren’t able to close the game when it was in their hands. In the end Scotland deserved to win because they stuck to their game plan. England just caved under pressure at vital moments.
    Of the 4 teams who played today I think only Ireland can feel really good about themselves. It looks like a contest between them and France this year.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

100% - definitely a penalty try.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Absolute garbage.
    But it was rightly given as a penalty try and a sin bin. Did you think he didn’t deliberately pat the ball forward when he was only man there?

Think this is setting up to be one of the best 6 Nations in years with at least 3 of the teams that will really fancy going all the way. Personally think Ireland should edge it but playing away to England and France is incredibly tough. 
    I’m not disputing the fact the referee followed the letter of the law.

What I’m complaining about are the rules. The England player went for the ball. His only issue was he didn’t catch it. And therefore it was decided he deliberately patted it forward. The Scottish player made no effort to get the ball, in fact he deliberately went for the England players head.

Bizarre that as pointed out earlier that these decisions get given over foul/dangerous play.

And I’m an Ireland supporter.

• Options
    Excellent win for Scotland - the Charlton/Scotland double is a rare thing! 
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Absolute garbage.

What I’m complaining about are the rules. The England player went for the ball. His only issue was he didn’t catch it. And therefore it was decided he deliberately patted it forward. The Scottish player made no effort to get the ball, in fact he deliberately went for the England players head.

Bizarre that as pointed out earlier that these decisions get given over foul/dangerous play.

He did deliberately knock it on. And I’m an England supporter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've watched it several times now and he gets both hands to the ball.
    I don't know why he never tried to catch it.
    Panicked.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Absolute garbage.

I think the rule and how it was followed today was spot on tbf. I thought it was an obvious attempt to stop a try and somewhat like a professional foul in football an appropriate sanction was issued. 
    I do have issues with some of the new rules, such as the drop out from the try line rather than the 22
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    mart77 said:

Absolute garbage.

I think the rule and how it was followed today was spot on tbf. I thought it was an obvious attempt to stop a try and somewhat like a professional foul in football an appropriate sanction was issued. 
    I do have issues with some of the new rules, such as the drop out from the try line rather than the 22
    I would agree, if the Scottish player actually went for the ball & not the man.
    And weirdly, the goal line drop out I think is one of the better new rules. But that maybe due to the fact that I’m a league fan 😂😂
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It seems a weird call by Cowan Dickie seeing that the officials have video replays. Even if we had lost that try, they may have not converted and we could have won with a penalty. The option we passed on later.

To me, England will have to be scratching their heads on how they lost that. But you do have to give Scotland credit for the accuracy of their kicking which was near perfect at the death.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Couldn't agree more about constantly changing camera angles, happening in every sport. We have to have close ups of fans at every break in the play.

When they have the camera behind the penalty taker in football does me in.
  • Options
    The amount of time wasted in resetting scrums is infuriating and is clearly often used as a time wasting ploy.
    I have also been unable to keep up with some of the loose maul laws.
    In short, I am coming up well short of understanding why many penalties are being given.
    I used to know just about all the rules but now I am baffled, to say the least.
  • Options
    The amount of time wasted in resetting scrums is infuriating and is clearly often used as a time wasting ploy.
    In short, I am coming up well short of understanding why many penalties are being given.
    I'm not as knowledgeable with the laws now, certainly not as much as when I played. I prefer it when we have the feed from the ref where but I like the tv coverage having Nigel Owens explaining things - rugby laws certainly more complicated than most sports
  • Options
    It’s genuinely got to a point where some players don’t know the rules.

The thing that really gets my goat (sorry pun intended) is the cry, ‘use it’ & three hours later the ball is still on the ground going nowhere. Guess what ref, they’re not listening 🙄😩🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'm not as knowledgeable with the laws now, certainly not as much as when I played. I prefer it when we have the feed from the ref where but I like the tv coverage having Nigel Owens explaining things - rugby laws certainly more complicated than most sports
    That's a key point. The laws of rugby are very simple really when you play the game, and every infringement yesterday wouldn't have needed too much explanation to the players. Most know what they are doing in trying to bend the laws or infringe on the blindside of the referee.
    Watching the game never having played it (or played it a long time ago) is a bit more difficult.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    That's a key point. The laws of rugby are very simple really when you play the game, and every infringement yesterday wouldn't have needed too much explanation to the players. Most know what they are doing in trying to bend the laws or infringe on the blindside of the referee.
    Watching the game never have played it (or played it a long time ago) is a bit more difficult.

Agree, every player does it with regards to playing on the limit. The scrum put-in however, is a disgrace that’s not even on a limit, there’s literally no contest for a scrum anymore. 
    On that note, it is baffling with how many times the final scrum was reset with one of those resets at any other time in any other game gets called a penalty against Scotland for wheeling. Ref bottled it. 
    Whether it was poor tactics, training, coaching etc England looked exactly like a team that hasn’t played much as a unit and they really didn’t use their heads at all. Scotland on the other hand looked every bit a team that have been playing consistently together for two years.