Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 Six Nations

Couldn't see another thread, apologies if there is one.

Farrell confirmed as missing the whole thing with an ankle injury:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60137445

No May, no Farrell, Tuilagi doubtful, certainly going to be a test for England, but it'll be interesting to see some of the younger guys given a go.

Comments

• Full fixtures:

• Couldn't see another thread, apologies if there is one.

No May, no Farrell, Tuilagi doubtful, certainly going to be a test for England, but it'll be interesting to see some of the younger guys given a go.

without being TOO harsh .. well, just a bit .. those three are on the way down anyhow .. I'm always concerned more when the forwards are depleted .. so far no Marler and new Capn Lawes has a hint of concussion .. he should be ok though .. not an easy start at Murrayfield, the Jocks are on a bit of an upcurve, IF you believe the Tartan Propaganda that is ((:>)
  • He has been out of form but its still a blow missing Farrell. Still means we see more of the in form Smith, Ford hopefully coming on from the bench.

Nowell who now owns a pub in Cornwall, The Swordfish Inn, is deservedly back in the side. Quite a few Exeter lads in their as well. Only one Gloucester man though.  :(
  • edited January 2022
    Being realistic, especially as i'm not that much of a fan of Eddie Jones, this year will be either Ireland's or France's to lose. I'll be surprised if it wasn't one of those two. Ireland have a tremendous amount of depth to their squad and France have a great squad as well. The way the Irish provinces performed in Europe makes me think its theirs. 
  • I'm gonna put a bet on Wales beating Ireland now.
  • I'm gonna put a bet on Wales beating Ireland now.
    Wise move, Ireland are always better as the underdogs.
  • Ireland’s two hardest games are away to England & France. If they get a win in Paris, momentum is a great thing.
  • Am only a casual watcher but apart from his place kicking have never really seen what the appeal is of Farrell. 

No doubt those who are more in touch with the game can see things that he does that the casual viewer doesn’t. 
  • I’m going to stick my neck out & say sadly I don’t think Ireland will win it & finally we’ll be able to let poor old Johnny retire & bring in some new blood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Eddie 'bullshit' Butler preview .. warning !! .. VERY Welsh slanted, as you'd expect but worth a peep

BBC iPlayer - Eddie Butlers Six Nations - 2022
  • Trying to pick a fantasy.sixnationsrugby.com side to join a friends mini league. Have no idea what I’m doing - Any suggestions most welcome from our Egg chasing fans.
  • Couldn't see another thread, apologies if there is one.

without being TOO harsh .. well, just a bit .. those three are on the way down anyhow .. I'm always concerned more when the forwards are depleted .. so far no Marler and new Capn Lawes has a hint of concussion .. he should be ok though .. not an easy start at Murrayfield, the Jocks are on a bit of an upcurve, IF you believe the Tartan Propaganda that is ((:>)
    Lawes (along with Jonny Hill) now out of the game at Murrayfield.

• Think it's fallen a bit unkindly for England having Scotland away first when we could be a bit undercooked, and then France away last when I think France could well be looking at that as a title-clincher or Grand Slam game.

Would much rather have had a home game or Italy to ease us in than an opener at Murrayfield.
  • Think it's fallen a bit unkindly for England having Scotland away first when we could be a bit undercooked, and then France away last when I think France could well be looking at that as a title-clincher or Grand Slam game.

Would much rather have had a home game or Italy to ease us in than an opener at Murrayfield.
    Murrayfield is a tough place to start no doubt but win there and then Italy away is a nice second game on the road before Wales at Twickenham.
  • MOBY DUCK said:
    Trying to pick a fantasy.sixnationsrugby.com side to join a friends mini league. Have no idea what I’m doing - Any suggestions most welcome from our Egg chasing fans.
    Get new French guy Melvyn Jaminet as your full-back (No. 15)
  • edited February 2022
    Couldn't see another thread, apologies if there is one.

Lawes (along with Jonny Hill) now out of the game at Murrayfield.

now I am concerned .. two of the best forwards are out and could be out for a while .. our lineout will be down to one man, Itoje and to state the obvious, both will be sorely missed in all aspects of the game .. England is very weak a t m in the lock position .. presumably Charlie Ewels will come in at lock/2nd row .. i m o he is not even CLOSE to being the third best English lock, I would go for Nick Isiekwe, pretty untried, but a quick and aggressive forward at either lock or No 6 .. both Ewels and Isiekwe are quite 'small', relatively speaking' for modern locks ..
    back row ? .. Dombrandt should be a shoo in at 8, though Jones dislikes 'flair' forwards, Dommy is much more than that .. Simmonds at 6 ?, my choice, Jones will NOT go for that, Curry at 7 is a DEFINITE though perverse Jones selects him at 8 .. i reckon Jones will select Ludlum at 6, who knows who else he'll select in the back row. The Scots are very strong there
    We are stuck with Sinckler at tight head, a supposed super star round the field, BUT the first duty of a tight head is to keep the scrum straight, upright and stable, Sincklet is incapable of doing that consistently. Marlar is out, so Genge at loose head and I'd go for Cowan-Dickie at hooker, I reckon Jones will pick George there ..

all in all a pickle .. Smith (my choice) or Ford at 10, Youngs at 9 (he keeps being selected) ..  who at 12 or on the wings ?. ..
    for a country supposedly with so much talent, so many positions are unresolved .. Coach Jones has been retained until after next year's World Cup .. IF we have a bad 6 nations, he should be sacked then .. i m o , he should have been sacked already and Farrell Senior and Shaun Edwards, two English coaches doing wonders for Ireland and France respectively, brought in. Like the ECB, the RFU is overseen by a very poor bunch
  • England squad for Six Nations:

Forwards: Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons), Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears), Will Stuart (Bath Rugby)

Backs: Mark Atkinson (Gloucester Rugby), Elliot Daly (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), George Furbank (Northampton Saints), Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish), Max Malins (Saracens), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Harry Randall (Bristol Bears), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Murrayfield is a tough place to start no doubt but win there and then Italy away is a nice second game on the road before Wales at Twickenham.

I think England are in for a big surprise at Murrayfield.
  • edited February 2022
    My mate Eddie and I nearly agree ((:>) .. he's selected a few surprises i m o .. Daly at 12/13 .. and one I am VERY pleased about, Simmons at 8 .. not before time and probably forced into it by Lawes's unavailability .. this lot'll give the Scots a right good game .. can't wait ((:>)

England team: Steward; Malins, Daly, Slade, Marchant; Smith, Youngs; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, Itoje, Isiekwe, Ludlam, Curry (capt), Simmonds.

Replacements: George, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Dombrandt, Randall, Ford, Nowell.

• Sponsored links:

• My mate Eddie and I nearly agree ((:>) .. he's selected a few surprises i m o .. Daly at 12/13 .. and one I am VERY pleased about, Simmons at 8 .. not before time and probably forced into it by Lawes's unavailability .. this lot'll give the Scots a right good game .. can't wait ((:>)

England team: Steward; Malins, Daly, Slade, Marchant; Smith, Youngs; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, Itoje, Isiekwe, Ludlam, Curry (capt), Simmonds.

Replacements: George, Marler, Stuart, Ewels, Dombrandt, Randall, Ford, Nowell.

Other than Daly i'm pretty happy with that side. Looking forward to seeing Randall given a go but totally get going for the experience of Youngs
  • scrum half scrum half still an issue in my book. Is there really no one better than Youngs?
  • Scotland team to face England: Hogg; Graham, Harris, Johnson, Van der Merwe; Russell, Price; Sutherland, Turner, Z Fagerson, J Gray, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, M Fagerson.

Replacements: McInally, Schoeman, Nel, Skinner, M Bradbury, White, Kinghorn, Tuipulotu.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60247488 

• Scotland team to face England: Hogg; Graham, Harris, Johnson, Van der Merwe; Russell, Price; Sutherland, Turner, Z Fagerson, J Gray, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson, M Fagerson.

Replacements: McInally, Schoeman, Nel, Skinner, M Bradbury, White, Kinghorn, Tuipulotu.

pretty much as expected .,. the core of the team has been together for 2 previous seasons and is in good order .. I really like the coach Townsend .. he was a very good centre/stand off and as a coach he likes to attack .. hard  

pretty much as expected .,. the core of the team has been together for 2 previous seasons and is in good order .. I really like the coach Townsend .. he was a very good centre/stand off and as a coach he likes to attack .. hard  
    I agree, Townsend is an excellent coach.

Ben White making the bench is a bit of a surprise - but he will be delighted (as is his dad who is a colleague of mine at work).
  • Ireland absolutely slaughtering Wales.
  • Looking dangerously good, but Wales looked terrible for much of the game so far.
  • Looking dangerously good, but Wales looked terrible for much of the game so far.
    True. But you can only play what’s in front of you.
  • iainment said:
    Looking dangerously good, but Wales looked terrible for much of the game so far.
    True. But you can only play what’s in front of you.
    And, for most of my life, Ireland have successfully played down to the level of their opponents.
  • Wales were poor but the Irish do look very good.