Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    I don't get how he can have been fit enough to be included in the matchday 18 but his "injury" flares up again in the pre match warmup after the initial squad announcement.
    He was OK Sunday morning, at training on 31st, 30th?
    It simply doesn't add up.
    I won't suggest he's swinging the lead but it seems he needs a long hard look at himself, what he's done and not done since the return to preseason 2022.
    As for the "injury" being elsewhere/back/nerve related, it's inconceivable that nobody's looked at anything other the back of his leg isn't it?

Spunking up all that money to resign him ranks as one of skintgaard's most dismal decisions - this from the same blokes who rate Clogger McGrandles a better baller than JFC
  • Options
    When Chuks was substitued against Brighton he looked close to tears. All this "he is work shy", "nicking a living" bollocks is out of order.

Garner hinted earlier in the season that he needed some support with his mental health. Yes, his injuries are frustrating, but the kicking he is getting on here and on social media is bang out of order imo.

The fans: 'Sometimes it's like the players aren't giving their all out there on the pitch. Play for the shirt, play for the fans who traveled!'
    Also the fans: 'Chuks Aneke is injured again? He should be put down, useless shirking prick'.
    There is ground in between those views though. I don’t think for one second that Chuks is a “useless shirking prick”. I think he’s a lad with significant fitness problems that for a club like Charlton isn’t sustainable. Love to see him fully recovered and playing week in week out but I just don’t believe we will. 
    The anger should be aimed at the management and transfer committee, not Aneke.
  • Options
    When Chuks was substitued against Brighton he looked close to tears. All this "he is work shy", "nicking a living" bollocks is out of order.

Garner hinted earlier in the season that he needed some support with his mental health. Yes, his injuries are frustrating, but the kicking he is getting on here and on social media is bang out of order imo.

The fans: 'Sometimes it's like the players aren't giving their all out there on the pitch. Play for the shirt, play for the fans who traveled!'
    Also the fans: 'Chuks Aneke is injured again? He should be put down, useless shirking prick'.
    There is ground in between those views though. I don’t think for one second that Chuks is a “useless shirking prick”. I think he’s a lad with significant fitness problems that for a club like Charlton isn’t sustainable. Love to see him fully recovered and playing week in week out but I just don’t believe we will. 
    I agree with you completely. That's how I feel about Chuks as well. Whether it's mental or physical it's not his fault and I feel for him, but as you say it's not a good situation for the club either. I'm more making a general point that it's no surprise that players jump at the first sight of more money or have days where they aren't as driven when you see some of the stuff written or shouted at them when they commit the crime of getting injured.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

The anger should be aimed at the management and transfer committee, not Aneke.

100%
  • Options
    Any news? Not seen a thing about him for weeks now.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Any news? Not seen a thing about him for weeks now.
    He’s been in photos training with the squad so must be close to a return. How long he’ll last is the bigger question. Even if we could get him to super sub fitness that would be a boost up front for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s odds on that he’ll break down again so on that basis I’m saying he’ll remain fit and be the super sub we need to fire us into the top six 
  • Options

Here’s this weeks update. Sounds like he won’t be in the squad tomorrow but hopefully I’m wrong. Will offer a lot more than Stockley off the bench 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Here’s this weeks update. Sounds like he won’t be in the squad tomorrow but hopefully I’m wrong. Will offer a lot more than Stockley off the bench 
    He won’t offer any more then Stockley from the bench or otherwise if he just breaks down again and is unavailable.

Considering the way he went off against Brighton after 5 minutes, followed by pulling out of the squad in the warm up of the next game - whatever the issue - I think Holden is absolutely correct in the line he is taking. 
  • Options
    pointless even putting him on the bench yet! a good month of hard training with no breakdowns or slight injuries fine let him go on the bench but i think from what holden is saying he is of the same feeling as us now enough is enough produce and stay fit or bye
  • Options
    pointless even putting him on the bench yet! a good month of hard training with no breakdowns or slight injuries fine let him go on the bench but i think from what holden is saying he is of the same feeling as us now enough is enough produce and stay fit or bye
    That's all fine except Chuks has a longer contract than Holden. So Chuks holds all the aces here. 
  • Options
    He’ll gradually claw his way back to be able to return to the bench.  He may even come on and get a goal.  There’ll be the usual nonsense, thr cheat code is back, after 3 okay substitute appearances, the level of contribution will dip, and then by about March he’ll knacker himself again somehow.  This will mark the pattern until 2025 or released/sold.  

A lot of uncertainty surrounding who will own us moving forward, but I’d be doing everything we can to move him on in the summer, however hard that may be 
  • Options
    Forget all of us, Aneke loves Charlton more than any fan.
    His agent speaks highly of Charlton as well.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    That's all fine except Chuks has a longer contract than Holden. So Chuks holds all the aces here. 
    Like Jfc was for different reasons he can be frozen out for however long is necessary still early days but i know which one i would hope is around longer as this issue with chuks has been going on for too long now to change all of a sudden i think personally he will be either retired or non league within 2/3 years max
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    He's rarely fit. When he is we have to play him surely? Thinking we can get him to stay fit hasn't worked before so why would it work now?

Too soft as a club. Boot him out.
  • Options
    Kips said:

What does contract length have to do with anything?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's rarely fit. When he is we have to play him surely? Thinking we can get him to stay fit hasn't worked before so why would it work now?

How? Pay off his contract? Ask him nicely to quit and become unemployed? Sack him and breach the contract?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

How? Pay off his contract? Ask him nicely to quit and become unemployed? Sack him and breach the contract?
    I’d pay him off, yes
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    CAFCOlly said:
    Get him fit and use him exclusively for 15 minutes at the end of games where we’re needing a goal. Don’t bother starting him or even giving him 45 minutes.

It’s obviously not ideal but we’ve got him for another few years so we’re going to have to accommodate him whether we like it or not. 

15 minutes from Chuks is more dangerous than a full 90 minutes from Stockley.
    Not sure I would have agreed with that last season and, hopefully for him, Stockley's form won't last forever. I'd argue it's better to have players in the squad that turn up. If Aneke did then Stockley might have been able have a break this season instead of ploughing on when everyone could see it wasn't working.
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Get him fit and use him exclusively for 15 minutes at the end of games where we’re needing a goal. Don’t bother starting him or even giving him 45 minutes.

It’s obviously not ideal but we’ve got him for another few years - we’re going to have to accommodate him whether we like it or not. 

Stockley is a low bar.  I’d argue having him for 15 minutes a game isn’t dangerous enough to get us out this league and not sustainable.  You just never know when he’ll break down again.  

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but should he even train.  Different circumstances, but Ledley King didn’t train for spurs for a period of his career.  I’ve got no idea if this would be applicable to Aneke.

On the whole though, the best option would be to try and ship him on somehow, even if that means taking a hit financially 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    NabySarr said:

I read this very much as a masking statement and I can’t really understand it. Chuks is not someone coming back from a broken leg and a year out; he was fit enough to play from the 11th Oct through to the end of Dec, so he has base fitness and muscle strength. After just a fortnight break he’s had two full weeks of training. He’ll only be returning to his max 30 min role. 

Where i I don’t understand is Holden is a short term manager very much needing short term results. Chuks is our best match changing option late off the bench. Even if only for 20 mins he’s worth a bench place after two weeks training for what he can potentially offer. A result today is crucial.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    cabbles said:
    CAFCOlly said:

It’s obviously not ideal but we’ve got him for another few years - we’re going to have to accommodate him whether we like it or not. 

Stockley is a low bar.  I’d argue having him for 15 minutes a game isn’t dangerous enough to get us out this league and not sustainable.  You just never know when he’ll break down again.  

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but should he even train.  Different circumstances, but Ledley King didn’t train for spurs for a period of his career.  I’ve got no idea if this would be applicable to Aneke.

On the whole though, the best option would be to try and ship him on somehow, even if that means taking a hit financially 
    This is the pardox though.  If we were in the position to pay Aneke off, we wouldn't need to pay him off.

In addition to Chuks we have got 5 players, who are under contract for next season, who are unselectable because they are either simply not good enough or not suited to the way we play, or mix of both.

You could probably get away with 2 or 3, like we did in 2019, but 6 is far, far too many.  That doesn't include the other couple that are out of contract in the summer.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I read this very much as a masking statement and I can’t really understand it. Chuks is not someone coming back from a broken leg and a year out; he was fit enough to play from the 11th Oct through to the end of Dec, so he has base fitness and muscle strength. After just a fortnight break he’s had two full weeks of training. He’ll only be returning to his max 30 min role. 

Where i I don’t understand is Holden is a short term manager very much needing short term results. Chuks is our best match changing option late off the bench. Even if only for 20 mins he’s worth a bench place after two weeks training for what he can potentially offer. A result today is crucial.
    Totally agree boss. Got to win today and even having him on the bench is worth taking that risk.Still feel the crowd get a boost when they see Aneke about to come on from the bench. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I don’t think he was ever fit in that spell. We rushed him back as we were desperate. Injury meant he didn’t have a proper pre-season. In those games he always looked knackered after a few sprints. So I think Holdens approach is for him to get his fitness/stamina up before bringing him back into the squad, and hopefully that will mean we get the 20/21 season super sub Aneke that could even start the odd game 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!