Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Problem is and it is just the reality, each additional injury he gets, he will be coming back a lesser player. We are starting to see that decline. Both physically, emotionally and mentally 
  • Options
    He was visibly gutted walking around the pitch after being subbed off, and I felt for him. But we need to get rid and sign someone who can perform for a season, not 20 mins every few months. 
  • Options
    Was a few boos for him from the Covered End when he was walked behind through goal towards the dug out. Feel like the majority of the fanbase are simply fed up of him. 
  • Options
    Left to right 
    boffin 
    scouse kid
    chucks
    little shit
    peter kay
    petrol head
    1/4 French Cnut nephew
    pisshead 16 year old 

Mine are 1,4,5,6 in that and i hate/love em as much as Charlton. 
    If you enter them in a five a side my advice would be to put little shit, Peter Kay and Chucks on the bench. That might be harsh on little shit but you don’t want to burn him out too early

• Options
    Time to bin him off I’m afraid, we can’t afford to carry someone who can only play for 20 minutes a game, he’s in the physio’s room again now but I wonder with his fitness problems he must be training very lightly as well compared to the rest of the squad?

Unplayable on his day obviously, but you can’t change a game when injured / on the bench.

Once his contract is up he’s destined to play for Burton Albion next, or an early retirement.
  • Options
    How do you bin somebody with 2 years left in their contract and with an ownership who want to limit costs and the number of forwards we have?
  • Options
    I don't believe bad luck comes into it on this occasion - Considering how injury prone he is (and he knows it) it was absolutely criminal, negligent and borderline gross misconduct for him to to not adequately warm up to come on tonight. I think it highlights his general attitude to fitness and staying injury free is not up to professional standards.
    This.

I was watching all the subs at half time being put through their paces. Chuks looked very disinterested & the stretching ones he was doing half heartedly. What goes around comes around. 

Not sure how you can let him go though. Paying up 2.5 years of his contract would be expensive I'd imagine - even on £3k per week that would be almost £400k.....which is more than we paid for him !!

And its not like he's been pulling up trees when he does actually play. 1 goal this season & recently looks off the pace.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    How do you bin somebody with 2 years left in their contract and with an ownership who want to limit costs and the number of forwards we have?
    It’s made more difficult with the uncertainty around the ownership, but I would hope that in the summer they can come to some sort of mutual agreement whereby we pay up something.  The challenge is that he is probably well aware, there might not many takers for him and he’s got to look after his own financial interests, and that means seeing out his contract, regardless of game time.

He must know his time in the sport is done, so would imagine he’ll be happy to stay.  The most he gets after us is a pay as you play deal.  If I were him, I would be using the next 2 and a half years to plan what his career outside of professional football looks like
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was on the field for about a minute, first sprint and he does his hamstring. Obviously wasn't warmed up enough 
  • Options
    Proof seems to exist that he wasn't warming up properly. Unless it is just a dig.
  • Options
    I don't believe bad luck comes into it on this occasion - Considering how injury prone he is (and he knows it) it was absolutely criminal, negligent and borderline gross misconduct for him to to not adequately warm up to come on tonight. I think it highlights his general attitude to fitness and staying injury free is not up to professional standards.
    This.

I was watching all the subs at half time being put through their paces. Chuks looked very disinterested & the stretching ones he was doing half heartedly. What goes around comes around. 

Not sure how you can let him go though. Paying up 2.5 years of his contract would be expensive I'd imagine - even on £3k per week that would be almost £400k.....which is more than we paid for him !!

And its not like he's been pulling up trees when he does actually play. 1 goal this season & recently looks off the pace.
    You're right. The subs were warming up just in front of us and we commented on how disinterested he looked and he was yards behind everyone else. Thought it looked a bit odd at the time.
  • Options
    Won’t see him until next seasons home kit launch!
  • Options
    He'll be 32 in the summer of 2025 when his contract expires. I would imagine he will probably retire then.
  • Options
    Hasn't even lived up to the super sub moniker so far this season, looked pretty laboured and disinterested when he came on Saturday. Shrugged around with that perpetual grin.

Maybe might have been back to the old chucks with Holden but guess we won't find out now unfortunately.

• Options
    Sad to see him lumbering about - his career is fading away.
  • Options
    If he’s out for any length of time and we have money to spend in January we should unregister him from the squad to give us an extra spot under the cap if it means we can make a further signing.
  • Options
    He will turn from the best sub ever to the best u23 player ever soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    for all those saying bin him, who's gonna pay up his contract.

he looked gutted walking behind the goal, gotta feel for the fella - but as said above, every injury he gets he comes back a bit less of a player....it must be on his mind every time he breaks into anything more than a jog.

great player when fit, trouble is....he never is
  • Options

We are now "pot committed" with Aneke - a long term contract means that we are stuck with him. We know now that he cannot start games, something which Bowyer was totally aware of when he signed for Birmingham which is why 17 of his 18 appearances were as sub for them. It is also a gamble as to which Aneke will turn up next season - the game changing impact sub or the one that spends more time on the side lines than on the pitch. These are his season by season returns:

1  (L 1)
    6  (L 1)
    14 (L 1)
    2   (Belgium)
    2   (Belgium)
    4    (L 1)
    9    (L 1)
    17  (L 2)
    1    (Championship)
    15  (L 1)
    5    (Championship/L 1)

Aneke will be 29 before the start of next season and this is his 11th season as a pro during which time he has scored a total of 76 goals i.e. an average of 7 per season. It's all very well using goals per minute as a justification for shelling out a hefty salary for a striker who is so prolific when judged on that basis alone but the overall issue is that in those 11 years he has only had three successful seasons - one of those was in L 2 for MK Dons and another was for Crewe in L 1 back in 2013-14 when he actually started 34 games (plus 6 as sub) and scored 14 times. The third successful season was for us in L 1 when, in addition to his 15 goals, he managed to pick up 11 yellow cards and two red cards - if we lauding him for his goal per minute ratio then we have to question his inability to avoid being booked. 

So, in summary, we are stuck with Aneke and have to make the best use of him. But we also have to sign two other strikers because having two from the other three out (as we had with Stockley and Washington) and Aneke on the bench means we have to have two viable other alternatives to start the game. Or find goals from other areas but as we are 43 games in to the season and our 3rd top scorer has three goals that isn't looking likely from our present squad.
    This was from April hence the incorrect reference to Aneke's age - he was actually 29 in July.

Sadly recent evidence indicates that he lacks all energy and self belief. Yes the service hasn't been great but when you see someone of his size unable to move about with any commitment in even closing down defenders then you know that something really isn't quite right, either mentally or physically, especially, from what I've seen and heard, the injuries do not appear to be one and the same. And not warming up properly might also be indicative of his current state of mind. 

If it is possible, the Club and Aneke either have to now admit that his body isn't up to playing football and try to claim on insurance or they have to find a way of correcting what is wrong for good. And by "correct" I mean to the extent that people do not have to hold their breath each and every time he makes a run in fear of him breaking down. I can't think many clubs will be prepared to match let alone improve on the contract he has with us so there is absolutely no incentive for him to move on either and legally we can't just tear his contract as some would like us to do. But we have to find some form of resolution but this might be one of those situations where we are permanently stuck in the problem until such time as his contract runs out.  

We desperately needed at least one, if not two, additional forwards at the beginning of the season. I see TS blamed Garner for that but the jury has to be out on that because I cannot seriously believe that any Manager would think that a 20 minute player, a youngster (Leaburn) with no pro experience plus Stockley would get us anywhere. It will be interesting to see what happens in January's window be that with TS or a new regime in charge because we need those reinforcements even more now than we did at the start of the season. They will not be easy to find or probably fund, depending on who actually owns us at the time (and their motivation for doing so).  

• Options
    Just a shame we have to waste a squad place on him next season.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    ‘Bin him’ - what a grim phrase to describe the future of a Charlton player and human being who might be facing the end of his career. 

Thought we had a bit more class than that. 

As others have said though; it now focuses Andy Scott’s search for at least a couple of strikers. 
    I imagine he's not in a great state of mind at present. 
  • Options
    As its been said above we must now bring a striker in... Possibly two if they decide to sell Miles Leaburn which I hope they won't... However, our track record is not exactly comforting in that area. 
  • Options
    I feel for Chucks he obviously cant help injuries but it does make me wonder how stupid whoever decided to sign him back is when literally every single supporter said how it would pan out
  • Options
    Annoyance from yesterday seems that it was a soft tissue injury that could have been prevented with a rigorous warmup.
  • Options
    Left to right 
    boffin 
    scouse kid
    chucks
    little shit
    peter kay
    petrol head
    1/4 French Cnut nephew
    pisshead 16 year old 

Mine are 1,4,5,6 in that and i hate/love em as much as Charlton. 
    Tbf it's a lovely photo mate
  • Options
    for all those saying bin him, who's gonna pay up his contract.

he looked gutted walking behind the goal, gotta feel for the fella - but as said above, every injury he gets he comes back a bit less of a player....it must be on his mind every time he breaks into anything more than a jog.

great player when fit, trouble is....he never is
    The  surely he should be doing more than most to make sure he us 110% ready when called upon. Be that physical or mental....or both. 

To pull a hamstring 2 minutes after you've come on is just not professional. And he was not Michael Owen sprinting at 100 miles an hour chasing a long ball over the top. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!