Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He's rarely fit. When he is we have to play him surely? Thinking we can get him to stay fit hasn't worked before so why would it work now?

Too soft as a club. Boot him out.
    I wonder whether our first team squad are covered by a Health Insurance Policy.

In the real world if you are unable to work due to health issues the post is usually terminated.
    Staff are medically retired on health grounds, or made redundant.

Over the years there have been many footballers who have been medically retired, surely now the time has come to call it a day with Chucks.

It is clear that it is unlikely that he will ever again be able to regularly play 90 minutes of competitive football. And if he cannot play, what is the point of keeping him. 

I think there is a big difference between being unable to work, in the real world, and a professional sports man not being fit to play.  Is he attending the "office" everyday?  Is he carrying out the reasonable duties (ie turn up to training)?

Paying out for the insurance means he can never play league football again, so why would he agree it it and why would someone (doctor for example) say he is incapable of ever playing league football again? 
    The answer to that question is, if he were sensible and properly advised he would have self-insured.

There are any number of firms prepared to offer career-ending injury insurance. Typically a player could get a payout of 5x salary as a lump sum in the event of a career ending injury (or death).  
    There is also a non-contributory PFA scheme which pays out peanuts. 

In fact, all keen amateur sports people, not just professionals should seriously consider the benefit of such insurance.
    Yes but that's not the point.  The point is we can't make him retire if he doesn't want to.  If he is privately insured he might consider it in 2 years time when he is 31, not when he is 29 and sat on a 2.5 year deal.
    Well, no. If a player is medically unfit to play then the Club would have the job of appointing competent medical authorities to certify that the club was entitled to terminate the contract and request a payout from the club's insurer.  So I guess a player would be sacked rather than retired. Surely, the terms of the player's personal insurance (if any) and his desire to carry on picking up wages for doing nothing is neither here nor there.

You will see from the contract extract below that the problem does not have to be permanent but just be expected to last for 20 months.

"Permanent Incapacity" shall mean either (a) "Permanent Total Disablement" as defined in the League’s personal accident insurance scheme or (b) incapacity of the Player by reason of or resulting from any injury or illness (including mental illness or disorder) where in the written opinion of an appropriately qualified medical consultant instructed by the Club (“the Initial Opinion”) and (if requested in writing either by the Club at any time or by the Player at any time but not later than twenty one days after receipt from the Club of notice in writing terminating this contract pursuant to clause 8.1) of a further such consultant approved or proposed by the Player (and in the absence of either an approval or proposal within 28 days of the request nominated on the application of either party by the President (“the President”) for the time being of the Royal College of Surgeons) (“the Further Opinion”) the Player will be unlikely by reason of such incapacity to play football to the same standard at which the Player would have played if not for such incapacity for a consecutive period of not less than twenty months commencing on the date of commencement of the incapacity PROVIDED that if the Initial Opinion and the Further Opinion disagree with one another then if the Further Opinion was given by a consultant nominated by the President it shall prevail but if not then a third opinion (“the Third Opinion”) from a consultant nominated by the President may be obtained on the application of either party and that opinion shall be final and binding for the purposes of this definition.
    So he has played inside the last 20 months and there is no reason he won't play some time in the next 20 minutes either?  What happens if he signed for someone else inside that 20 months, he could probably sue.

There is no low cost option to "jog him on" unless he agrees to it.
    This is getting tedious. It's a medical professional's view on whether a player is likely to be fit to play in the next 20 months, not whether he has played in the previous 20 months. It is difficult to imagine that any club, other than Charlton, would take a player with a very negative medical report hanging over his head. In addition you are ignoring the to the "same standard" bit. 
    I agree 100%.
    The guy has the fitness of an OAP.

With his medical history his playing days are surely over.
    Now is the time for the club to make some strong decisions about where to go from here.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Is there any truth in the rumour that he was pictured on an NHS picket line last Tuesday?
  • Options
    Is there any truth in the rumour that he was pictured on an NHS picket line last Tuesday?
    If so, good for him. Solidarity with workers. Especially because he really needs Healthcare workers... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He's rarely fit. When he is we have to play him surely? Thinking we can get him to stay fit hasn't worked before so why would it work now?

In the real world if you are unable to work due to health issues the post is usually terminated.

Over the years there have been many footballers who have been medically retired, surely now the time has come to call it a day with Chucks.

It is clear that it is unlikely that he will ever again be able to regularly play 90 minutes of competitive football. And if he cannot play, what is the point of keeping him. 

I think there is a big difference between being unable to work, in the real world, and a professional sports man not being fit to play.  Is he attending the "office" everyday?  Is he carrying out the reasonable duties (ie turn up to training)?

Paying out for the insurance means he can never play league football again, so why would he agree it it and why would someone (doctor for example) say he is incapable of ever playing league football again? 
    The answer to that question is, if he were sensible and properly advised he would have self-insured.

There are any number of firms prepared to offer career-ending injury insurance. Typically a player could get a payout of 5x salary as a lump sum in the event of a career ending injury (or death).  

In fact, all keen amateur sports people, not just professionals should seriously consider the benefit of such insurance.
    Yes but that's not the point.  The point is we can't make him retire if he doesn't want to.  If he is privately insured he might consider it in 2 years time when he is 31, not when he is 29 and sat on a 2.5 year deal.
    Well, no. If a player is medically unfit to play then the Club would have the job of appointing competent medical authorities to certify that the club was entitled to terminate the contract and request a payout from the club's insurer.  So I guess a player would be sacked rather than retired. Surely, the terms of the player's personal insurance (if any) and his desire to carry on picking up wages for doing nothing is neither here nor there.

You will see from the contract extract below that the problem does not have to be permanent but just be expected to last for 20 months.

"Permanent Incapacity" shall mean either (a) "Permanent Total Disablement" as defined in the League’s personal accident insurance scheme or (b) incapacity of the Player by reason of or resulting from any injury or illness (including mental illness or disorder) where in the written opinion of an appropriately qualified medical consultant instructed by the Club (“the Initial Opinion”) and (if requested in writing either by the Club at any time or by the Player at any time but not later than twenty one days after receipt from the Club of notice in writing terminating this contract pursuant to clause 8.1) of a further such consultant approved or proposed by the Player (and in the absence of either an approval or proposal within 28 days of the request nominated on the application of either party by the President (“the President”) for the time being of the Royal College of Surgeons) (“the Further Opinion”) the Player will be unlikely by reason of such incapacity to play football to the same standard at which the Player would have played if not for such incapacity for a consecutive period of not less than twenty months commencing on the date of commencement of the incapacity PROVIDED that if the Initial Opinion and the Further Opinion disagree with one another then if the Further Opinion was given by a consultant nominated by the President it shall prevail but if not then a third opinion (“the Third Opinion”) from a consultant nominated by the President may be obtained on the application of either party and that opinion shall be final and binding for the purposes of this definition.
    So he has played inside the last 20 months and there is no reason he won't play some time in the next 20 minutes either?  What happens if he signed for someone else inside that 20 months, he could probably sue.

This is getting tedious. It's a medical professional's view on whether a player is likely to be fit to play in the next 20 months, not whether he has played in the previous 20 months. It is difficult to imagine that any club, other than Charlton, would take a player with a very negative medical report hanging over his head. In addition you are ignoring the to the "same standard" bit. 
    But there is nothing, at all, to suggest he can't play inside the next 20 months is there?  

Can you give one example of a player that has had his contract paid up, by the insurance company, against his will?

I know a couple, Roberts at D&R and Mike Marsh at various clubs took a payout and could only play non league. 
    Apart from the fact that we rarely see him om a football pitch and then for not very long, I know nothing about Chuk's situation. That's why a kept referring to "a player" rather than naming an individual
    As for examples, Haaland's Dad immediately springs to mind. I believe his contract was terminated by City. I don't know precisely what the situation was regarding our own Matty Holmes following the incident with the animal Muscat. But I believe his contract was up for renewal with a pay rise which never happened. There must surely be any number of other examples though?
  • Options
    When Chuks was substitued against Brighton he looked close to tears. All this "he is work shy", "nicking a living" bollocks is out of order.

Garner hinted earlier in the season that he needed some support with his mental health. Yes, his injuries are frustrating, but the kicking he is getting on here and on social media is bang out of order imo.

Even if the issue is in his head, it is still an issue. If he is going into match days thinking his body is going to let him down then he needs help addressing that not a load of grief from fans.

I am guessing he is in a place where he is utterly paranoid that the slightest twinge is something major about to flare up.

As for today, I am guessing the decision was made for him and as soon as he limped away from the warm up he was removed from tje squad.

I'd like to see him given the space he clearly needs to get himself sorted. If that means he is out for an extended period working through his issues then so be it.

Steve Brown was bang out of order today. Smirking and sniggering when Minto raised his injury record. Think what you like mate, but show a bit of compassion/professionalism.
    This 1000%, and it can't be reiterated enough. He does not want to be injured. He does not choose to be inkured
    Bowyer talked about how there's an issue with his body because he's so big and so tip heavy. He's a wonderful footballer at this level when fit. He seems like a lovely guy. You can have issues with us signing him, but that's not his fault. 

I hope he gets well soon. We have enough quality up front that he can come on at the 60 minute mark and scare the daylights out of defenders whenever he is right again. 
  • Options
    Getting Chuks back fit will be just like getting a new signing...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcfan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But there is nothing, at all, to suggest he can't play inside the next 20 months is there?  

Can you give one example of a player that has had his contract paid up, by the insurance company, against his will?

I know a couple, Roberts at D&R and Mike Marsh at various clubs took a payout and could only play non league. 
    Apart from the fact that we rarely see him om a football pitch and then for not very long, I know nothing about Chuk's situation. That's why a kept referring to "a player" rather than naming an individual
    As for examples, Haaland's Dad immediately springs to mind. I believe his contract was terminated by City. I don't know precisely what the situation was regarding our own Matty Holmes following the incident with the animal Muscat. But I believe his contract was up for renewal with a pay rise which never happened. There must surely be any number of other examples though?
    They both had very obvious, very serious, injuries.  If you nearly have your leg amputated, like David Boost, it's understand able.  Constantly having different injuries is total different.
  • Options
    Getting Chuks back fit will be just like getting a new signing...
    Yes it would,
    similarly I would like to win the Euromillions tonight,
    Both are dreams and both are highly unlikely to ever happen!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    When Chuks was substitued against Brighton he looked close to tears. All this "he is work shy", "nicking a living" bollocks is out of order.

Garner hinted earlier in the season that he needed some support with his mental health. Yes, his injuries are frustrating, but the kicking he is getting on here and on social media is bang out of order imo.

Even if the issue is in his head, it is still an issue. If he is going into match days thinking his body is going to let him down then he needs help addressing that not a load of grief from fans.

I am guessing he is in a place where he is utterly paranoid that the slightest twinge is something major about to flare up.

As for today, I am guessing the decision was made for him and as soon as he limped away from the warm up he was removed from tje squad.

I'd like to see him given the space he clearly needs to get himself sorted. If that means he is out for an extended period working through his issues then so be it.

Steve Brown was bang out of order today. Smirking and sniggering when Minto raised his injury record. Think what you like mate, but show a bit of compassion/professionalism.
    This 1000%, and it can't be reiterated enough. He does not want to be injured. He does not choose to be inkured
    Bowyer talked about how there's an issue with his body because he's so big and so tip heavy. He's a wonderful footballer at this level when fit. He seems like a lovely guy. You can have issues with us signing him, but that's not his fault. 

I hope he gets well soon. We have enough quality up front that he can come on at the 60 minute mark and scare the daylights out of defenders whenever he is right again. 
    Mate, you obviously have a kind, compassionate side to you. That's something to be admired.

But the fact is that the salary sport website - which I take with a huge pinch of salt - has Aneke down as our second highest earner on £6,400 per week. That's an awful lot of season tickets you have to sell to pay just one week's wages for Aneke.

With the club losing £8 million + each year Aneke is an expense we just can't carry anymore if he can never get fit. And there is absolutely nothing to suggest at the moment he can either get fit or stay fit. Compassion is fine but there comes a time when you say enough is enough and in my view, the club should be looking to reach some sort of agreement with Aneke that sees him on his way.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Mate, you obviously have a kind, compassionate side to you. That's something to be admired.

But the fact is that the salary sport website - which I take with a huge pinch of salt - has Aneke down as our second highest earner on £6,400 per week. That's an awful lot of season tickets you have to sell to pay just one week's wages for Aneke.

With the club losing £8 million + each year Aneke is an expense we just can't carry anymore if he can never get fit. And there is absolutely nothing to suggest at the moment he can either get fit or stay fit. Compassion is fine but there comes a time when you say enough is enough and in my view, the club should be looking to reach some sort of agreement with Aneke that sees him on his way.
    Why would Chuks agree to that? Unless the club want to pay the last 2.5 years and let him move on. We're stuck with him. And as such, I hope he gets well. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

The blame for that lays firmly with the person that offered the contract, not the person that signed it.

100% I wouldn't rip it up in his situation and would want every penny I was entitled to.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:

The blame for that lays firmly with the person that offered the contract, not the person that signed it.

100% I wouldn't rip it up in his situation and would want every penny I was entitled to.
    Totally agree. In fact, I've asked that question of who was responsible for giving him a contract on here a couple of times already.

Was it JJ, Gallen or someone else?  
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Why would Chuks agree to that? Unless the club want to pay the last 2.5 years and let him move on. We're stuck with him. And as such, I hope he gets well. 
    I refuse to believe that HR can't find a technicality to cancel or amend his contract in some way if he is hardly ever fit to play. In fact, if HR wanted to play hardball, they could simply cancel his contract on some ground and tell Aneke to sue them. Given the delays in the court system at the moment, and the endless hours you can argue over tecnicalities and legal points, you could stretch proceedings out for years and in that time, Aneke could well decide to settle rather than wait years for a full payout. (Not saying that is the right thing to do but it wouldn't be the first time an employer has taken that approach). 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

I refuse to believe that HR can't find a technicality to cancel or amend his contract in some way if he is hardly ever fit to play. In fact, if HR wanted to play hardball, they could simply cancel his contract on some ground and tell Aneke to sue them. Given the delays in the court system at the moment, and the endless hours you can argue over tecnicalities and legal points, you could stretch proceedings out for years and in that time, Aneke could well decide to settle rather than wait years for a full payout. (Not saying that is the right thing to do but it wouldn't be the first time an employer has taken that approach). 
    You might find the EFL take a very dim view of that type of practice and consider it failure to pay a contracted players wages
  • Options
    ...couldn't score as he started the game.
  • Options
    Sounds like the senior guys like Aneke and Hector helped the young guns, Kanu, Casey and Mitchell who appear to be the top prospects. Plus having Jo-Jo back between the sticks.
    The most minutes Chuks has every played for cafc was 95 minutes in his first game back from Birmingham under JJ.  Been a real struggle since for Aneke to play enough minutes.
  • Options
    Didn't get injured or sent off. An improvement. 

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Didn't get injured or sent off. An improvement on Bonne 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't get injured or sent off. An improvement. 

Did have a lie down and order a Deliveroo though 
  • Options
    Did significantly more in half an hour than Bonne did in a whole match. 
  • Options
    Time to get rid! 

Feel for the geezer, but he’s only capable of non-league/retirement now…

how much of it is mental, I don’t know, as every time he gets tackled/goes down he grimaces and rolls around.

certainly one of many who shouldn’t be anywhere near us next season 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Time to get rid! 

Feel for the geezer, but he’s only capable of non-league/retirement now…

how much of it is mental, I don’t know, as every time he gets tackled/goes down he grimaces and rolls around.

certainly one of many who shouldn’t be anywhere near us next season 
    Don't people pull muscles in non league? 
     Nah mate, grass roots is full of steel and beer bellies.
  • Options
    Pay up his contract and move on. He needs it, the club needs it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!