Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    We are stuck with him another 2 years. What terrible business by Gallen.  Not sure whether this of bringing back Bonne is the worst.  

Not Aneke's fault, must be devastating for him.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Pay up his contract and move on. He needs it, the club needs it.
    Why not just keep him? If we pay him off then he’s not going to accept anything less than the full amount owed to him. Might as well just keep trying to get him fit and use him as a sub when he is. Probably never going to stay fit but might as well use him while we pay him rather than just giving up and still paying him the same amount anyway 
    No point paying up his contract unless we are actually going to bring in some else, better.  If funds are as tight as they appear paying him off would be ludicrous.
  • Options
    Stuck with him for 2 more years.  Might not make sense commercially to release him, but he’s adding nothing now, and I feel it’s only going to get worse.  It’s clear he’s not getting better, and it looks like he’s getting worse (fitness wise) and this is then having an impact on what he can add (footballing wise).  This is literally a real life example of purgatory, for him, and us.

Can’t pay him off and we can’t play him.  Crazy 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    Pay up his contract and move on. He needs it, the club needs it.
    Why not just keep him? If we pay him off then he’s not going to accept anything less than the full amount owed to him. Might as well just keep trying to get him fit and use him as a sub when he is. Probably never going to stay fit but might as well use him while we pay him rather than just giving up and still paying him the same amount anyway 
    No point paying up his contract unless we are actually going to bring in some else, better.  If funds are as tight as they appear paying him off would be ludicrous.
    Exactly. His contract is probably worth at least another 500-700k so it won’t exactly be cheap to get rid of him. I’d rather we keep trying to get him fit as when he is fit he still makes a difference. It’s unlikely but we did keep him fit for pretty much a whole season once before. Even getting him fit for a run of 10 games could make a big difference to our points tally next season 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    How long until he retires?
    Why would you retire when you have 2 and a half years left on your contract?
    Mental health? The impact of these injuries on his body? I'd agree with you in general but there may come a point where he doesn't want this to keep happening.
  • Options
    The way he has been running in his last few appearances, he looked ready made for another injury. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    @ £6k a week.
    Do footballers have insurance, so if he can prove that he needs to retire for medical reasons then his insurance might cover him? 

I really feel for him, he seems to be genuinely trying but the body doesn’t seem willing. He isn’t “nicking a living” or anything like that.
    Players are covered by insurance taken out by the Club. If it was necessary for him to medically retire then the Club would claim on the insurance and pay off his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pack him of to the Zynex lab for a few months and see if they can fix him.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    @ £6k a week.
    Do footballers have insurance, so if he can prove that he needs to retire for medical reasons then his insurance might cover him? 

I really feel for him, he seems to be genuinely trying but the body doesn’t seem willing. He isn’t “nicking a living” or anything like that.
    Players are covered by insurance taken out by the Club. If it was necessary for him to medically retire then the Club would claim on the insurance and pay off his contract.
    Only if the insurer agrees that he needs to medically retire and pays up.
  • Options
    I really do feel for Chucks it must be terrible for him that his body cant cope. It's not his fault but I would love to know who the hell thought it a good move to bring him back, it was so obvious what the result would be to literally everyone but the people responsible for our signings. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    @ £6k a week.

Is “medically necessary to retire” a very high threshold to meet or is it a fairly common thing that happens?
  • Options
    I’m assuming in order for him to meet that bar he’d have to do a lot more than the muscle injuries he keeps getting. I have no idea but I’d assume it would have to be a bone/joint injury or severe ligament tear that could cause him to effectively be disabled if he put to much stress on it
  • Options
    I'm no expert on this sort of thing but wouldn't it help if he lost some muscle mass? I don't understand why he's still so big. Would have thought it might be something he'd at least want to try. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    AndyG said:
    I really do feel for Chucks it must be terrible for him that his body cant cope. It's not his fault but I would love to know who the hell thought it a good move to bring him back, it was so obvious what the result would be to literally everyone but the people responsible for our signings. 
    Was it that obvious though? The 3 and a half year deal was obviously a poor decision but in terms of bringing him back he’d been pretty much injury free for 18 months and in that time had scored a lot of goals for us in league 1. Changing his role to super sub seemed to have stopped his injuries. Obviously in hindsight it didn’t but other than the length of the deal the decision to sign him wasn’t as stupid as people make out 
  • Options
    When he bent down in front of the East to do his boot up I joked he’d be out for 2 months with a broken shoelace.

This made me laugh, as I said exactly the same thing at the time.

My response when he went down injured was along the lines of "why don't you just fuck off and retire"?

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    @ £6k a week.

Is “medically necessary to retire” a very high threshold to meet or is it a fairly common thing that happens?
    It's a few injuries back but someone said that they would have to "be unable to play at the same level for a minimum of 20 months". 

Obviously a hamstring pull doesn't fulfil that criteria.  I would imagine it would be very hard to force someone into receiving an insurance payout if they don't want it.
  • Options
    It looked to me that he “stepped” on the ball and then went over it, causing his hamstring to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
     He has just returned from a 4 week plan (and a plan at Birmingham that saw him stay fit because he was unused). I don't think a serious plan will make much difference, if the weakness is his body - the underlying issue. 
  • Options
    He could lose a few pounds which might help…..5lbs of body weight is 20 lbs of pressure off the knee joints 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    He could lose a few pounds which might help…..5lbs of body weight is 20 lbs of pressure off the knee joints 
    This is a very sensible post - perhaps it backs up what Sage said about investment in the sports science dpt.  Although I expect Aneke to have done a lot more homework of his own accord as to what will help.  If this is genuinely going to finish his career, then he should be doing everything financially possible within his own power to sort.  He may well have, and it’s just never going to be okay 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    ct_addick said:
    This is a very sensible post - perhaps it backs up what Sage said about investment in the sports science dpt.  Although I expect Aneke to have done a lot more homework of his own accord as to what will help.  If this is genuinely going to finish his career, then he should be doing everything financially possible within his own power to sort.  He may well have, and it’s just never going to be okay 
    Apart from speculation, from the experts on the interweb, is there any suggestion or even hint of this? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    ct_addick said:
    Apart from speculation, from the experts on the interweb, is there any suggestion or even hint of this? 
    Nope...CL have retired him, declared he is approaching depression and sorted the insurance claim out on behalf of the club!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    To be clear, I haven't once said about there being a risk to Aneke's career, but the whole situation is sad as clearly his body has let him down a lot over the last 7/8 months.

We don't know anything until the scan is done and results are in.

Let's give him the support and know we are on his side and not get on his back when it's him that is suffering the most. Doesn't matter how much you get paid, he wants to play and make the most of his career. No one wants to be breaking down often and receiving abuse for it.
    This is fair. Apologies Others assumed his career was over, your post suggested his season could be. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Sage said:
    To be clear, I haven't once said about there being a risk to Aneke's career, but the whole situation is sad as clearly his body has let him down a lot over the last 7/8 months.

Let's give him the support and know we are on his side and not get on his back when it's him that is suffering the most. Doesn't matter how much you get paid, he wants to play and make the most of his career. No one wants to be breaking down often and receiving abuse for it.
    Then why hasn't he lost some weight/muscle? His current physique clearly isn't working for him and hasn't for some time. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Sage said:

Then why hasn't he lost some weight/muscle? His current physique clearly isn't working for him and hasn't for some time. 
    He’s extremely muscular but again there is no evidence to our knowledge that it is causing him harm. That’s speculation by fans. There may be a case of that, but we just don’t know.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!