Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Time to get rid! 

Feel for the geezer, but he’s only capable of non-league/retirement now…

how much of it is mental, I don’t know, as every time he gets tackled/goes down he grimaces and rolls around.

certainly one of many who shouldn’t be anywhere near us next season 
    Don't people pull muscles in non league? 
    More the fact that it’s low stakes and pay-as-you-play stuff. No chance he should be in league football if he can’t complete more than 5 games a season
  • Options
    He just got kicked didn't he? Hopefully not too bad as when he plays he is still our most effective forward 
  • Options
    He just got kicked didn't he? Hopefully not too bad as when he plays he is still our most effective forward 
    Looked like he pulled it as he tried to jump their man

• Options
    The fact he is our most effective forward shows what a poor forward line we have. 

• Options
    Think his hamstring completely went. I think his season is over if so… Poor bloke, but he is cursed and we need to look for an injury free alternative
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    The fact he is our most effective forward shows what a poor forward line we have. 

Nope it shows why he's at this level, he's a good forward with a shit injury record.
    He’s clearly a very talented player. But at the end of the day if we are looking at the most important metric for a striker, the amount of goals they score, his overall contribution is a goal every 3.9 games.

Which is probably a little below an average return for an average striker at this level.

Yes he might score those goals in less minutes than many. But to me that does not really matter, and I’ve never really got the super sub thing, and feel like it’s a bit of a fallacy - because you don’t see good teams having a player whose role is basically to be one. 

• Options
    Poor sod.
    may as well terminate his contract in the summer and create space in the squad.
    Get a player on lower wages.
    Assuming TS is gone by then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Horrible to watch him breaking down like this all the time, his career is at risk. 
    I’m not sure where he goes from here.

• Options
    Sad for him. Looked like a proper hamstring tear the way he went down and stayed down. Please just take a hit and pay off his contract. Take the money and retire now Chuks, your body simply can’t handle professional sport. 
  • Options
    Always a sad sight to see a lad go off on a stretcher, wish him well.
    Season over? Looked a serious injury. 
  • Options
    There was a sense of inevitability about his injury today, no offence to him but it’s almost comical now that we come to expect it. It’s time to agree a contract termination, no hard feelings to the guy but for the club to move forward he needs to be gone, it’s clear there’s no long term future for him. 
  • Options
    How long until he retires?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Why would you retire when you have 2 and a half years left on your contract?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Depends on the length of the renewed contract we give him.
  • Options
    Holden said he looked like he had “pulled” his hamstring but he looked in serious pain. And I was just starting to think he was looking like the old Aneke, a goal coming any second…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Pay up his contract and move on. He needs it, the club needs it.
    Either this or somehow find a club to take a gamble on him as part of a loan where we pay some of his wages.  

After a while, the sympathy abates and you find yourself resenting the fact he’s being paid a decent wedge whilst our team languishes in utter mediocrity.  I can’t help it, just how I feel and I think the thing that’s contributed to this is the hype some of our fans have given him.

Statements like ‘on his day he’s unplayable’.  It’s actually ridiculously ott given his time here.  If he was in the same bracket as Kermorgant, Taylor or Mendonca I might give you that.  In reality, even during is purple patch in 19/20 (if you can call it that), it wasn’t all that.  

Now it’s “Chuks coming on for 20 minutes is still something we can use/something in our locker’

he can’t even do that.  Stop flogging a dead horse.  It’s done 
    Precisely. When I heard today that he'd gone off injured, I just laughed. 

It's sad for him, I don't mean to be nasty, but for us as fans it's just a joke.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    Depends on the length of the renewed contract we give him.
    Was it you that did the original medical Dr?
  • Options
    He's turning 30 this year. He's got to be thinking about calling it a day. I know it'd be hard to turn down two years more money, but that's also two years more incessant injuries. I wouldn't fancy that, to be honest. I'd like to think that I'd value my mental and physical health more than the cash.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Really feel for the fella. As has been mentioned on here, let’s pay him up. Persevering with him doesn’t help us and it doesn’t help him. 

Giving him a 3.5 year contract was one of the worst decisions Charlton have ever made. 
  • Options
    On a serious note it’s very frustrating for us as fans, but it must be soul destroying for him. We obviously don’t know the full ins and out of his injuries and treatment and neither really do we have a right to know. I do think we have probably got to the point now where he needs to get new expert medical opinion on his issues and the likely treatment and trajectory of them and the risks of any long term damage to his body.

Having recently read the thread on here about Olly Lee’s premature retirement. it is a reminder that certain things can’t really be overcome to compete as a professional athlete. Obviously from Aneke’s point of view he has the protection of a long contract and the club chose to give him that. But if it does transpire that hanging up his boots needs to happen then perhaps the club could help him find a new career that suits him and support him with this and maybe do a deal regarding the contract in releasing him early to pursue this for some kind of reduction in his remuneration.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Why would you retire when you have 2 and a half years left on your contract?
    @ £6k a week.
  • Options
    I’m sure he’s frustrated as the rest of us, this is his job, and his body keeps letting him down.
  • Options
    No idea if he's interested in it but maybe we could give him a coaching role for the rest of his contract. Can't be easy for him to keep missing matches 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!