Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | January 12, 2022

Comments

• Options
    I thought Dagenham 2011 was the nadir of being a Charlton fan, but this feels on a par. When will things actually get better for us and we have more than 1 fleeting season of success surrounded by years of shite
    could be worse, you could have been born in Oldham……or Bury.  Glass half full 😀
  • Options
    Turned all media off till 21.45 before I tuned into the inevitable....reading the above it sounded grim. Cheltenham will be the same Saturday...
  • Options
    I harped on about this on the match thread, but I genuinly cannot believe how many of our own attacks we defend for the opposition. We

- Hardly test the goalkeeper with on target attempts 
    - Dribble off the pitch to lose momentum 
    - Lose the ball then foul opposition
    - Set piece accuracy is awful
    - Foul following a breakdown in our own wet piece
    - Hardly move for throw-ins
    - Usually see promising attacks return to CB or Goalie
    - Wrong weight of through balls

If this continues, we need to focus on a new set of attacking players as having Stockley back doesn't solve all the above. 
  • Options
    Crewe hussled us and got to most first balls. They worked harder than us and played better as a team. Never let us settle and we could not get our game together. Leko ineffective and got caught in possession too much. We lost our way tonight. Need Stockley back asap. Need to get our mojo back for Saturday or it will be the same again. 
  • Options
    The other thing that was completely out of order was the dickhead Crewe fan coming into the pitch and shoving Morgan when he went over to remonstrate with the lino following the disallowed goal. Hopefully he gets nicked and banned.
    Yeah I saw that. Surprised no one else picked up on it tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a shit decision at the end.

Leko does not become active until the deflection, so imo can't be offside. He in no way prevented the keeper from saving that, the deflection did him completely and he would never have got anywhere near it.

<snip>
    What got me was that the referee was standing in the penalty area no more than fifteen yards away, with a clear view, and immediately gave the goal; no hesitation whatsoever.

Even with his performance tonight he must have realised there couldn't have been two defensive players between Leko and the goal and so offside was a possibility, but he still gave the goal. Why? Did he think there was no case to answer for "interference"? Did he think that the deflection came off a defender and therefore Leko wasn't offside? He must have had a thought process and arrived at the decision of "goal".

The lino, with a different view, saw Leko in an offside position in the 'keeper's pocket and flagged ... eventually.

It was right for the ref to go over and speak to the lino but surely if he hadn't seen anything wrong with the passage of play - and he was closest to it - then surely he should have told the flag-waver "thanks for your input but I think the goal should stand because of this, this, this etc" and stick with his original decision.

In the event I suppose the only surprising aspect to the whole scenario was that he didn't then book a couple of Charlton players for arguing and send off Leko for impersonating a forward ...
  • Options
    Finally we can stop blaming the manager and start pointing the fingers where it belongs. To the players that simply aren't good enough. 

They're bang average and our summer recruitment was worse than any in the Roland era. 12 days in and looks like January isn't going to be much better either.
  • Options
    That was awful. 

Jackson's honeymoon period is well & truly over!
  • Options
    Just got back, for those still on your way home I salute you! 

Sorry jacko got it wrong today. Our shape is awful-no midfield-we’re almost playing 5-1-4 at times and Dobson or the defenders have no options. Morgan’s little cameo gave us more options and someone who can pass. 

leko was awful-but again he’s not a striker and can’t hold up the ball.
    Never seen a goal keeper not being able to kick the ball past the halfway line. So we play short but shock horror no midfield so no one to play too and we’re lucky not to concede this way.

The goal was absolutely fine and would of made up for an awful performance but would I taken a point at the start? No.

Also those going on about investing in the squad…..I wonder what the difference in wages are between us and Crewe. 

Time to bleed in some more youngsters with the season over and rebuild for next year. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Not after Albie came on.
  • Options
    PWR.

I said after Sunday that we were only 6 points off 21st so our first target had to be avoiding relegation. We lost a 6 pointer tonight and if we continue with our inability to score will get sucked in before too much longer.

Sorry to be so despondent but that is what I feel after that performance tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Leko isnt a striker 

DK, CBT, Leko aren't wingbacks

Innis should start instead of Pearce.

Our midfield dont score

Our strikers arent good enough.

Apart from that everything is just fine & dandy. 

And can I be the first to say that perhaps Jackson was indeed part of the problem back when Adkins was manager. All that has happened is that the deck chairs have been moved around on the deck. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    What's the official line for disallowed goal, offside?
    We're waiting for Sue Gray’s inquiry to report back.
    🙄
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Croydon said:
    Not after Albie came on.
    Freekick from a dangerous position, didn't beat the first man. More than frustrating. 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Was anyone else impressed with Morgan little cameo tonight? 
    Maybe I’m just trying to see positives but I think he would be better deeper.. not in the 10 role.
    & Yes I’ve worked that all out in the space of 12/13 mins that played 😉
    Yes I was but we need to remember that it was at the end of a game vs a team at the bottom of league 1 who were holding on for a win. Having said that this weekend id start him alongside Dobson and play Washington on his own up top.