Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | January 12, 2022

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Lucky our game against Norwich didn't go to extra time, so we could get a big fat zero points three days later. 

Funny how football works hey? Applying too much theory and hypothesis does not usually work.
    I guess the thinking wasn't just about getting 3 points at Crewe but more about losing Inniss long-term and maybe the same with Burstow. 

But you make a good point....there is far too much over-thinking in football these days. 
  • Options
    Not sure that was part of the thinking as both had been subbed before full time. Just usual footie fan analysis which amounts to little in the real world.
  • Options
    All those #givehimthejobpermanently will eat their words tonight, last week, the week before...next week. As nauseum. 

There are, I'm sure, various reasons for keeping a temporary manager "temporary". For someone who has never been a manager before ... a 6month-one year probationary period is probably  essential. Whoever they are. Because it is precisely the "pressure" when expectation arrives (that comes with things being made permanent)  that reveals most. 

Those who have dated someone, for example, will know the difference in pressure between dating that person ... and married life. In married life e v e r y o n e expects a certain standard from you. Forever! Not just the missus! Before marriage there is no such pressure. 

If Sandgaard had not listened to all the "Give him the job permanently NOW" nonsense (because the team had won 6 in 9 and actually remembered caution we would still have a temporary manager and I have no doubt we would have  A LOT MORE WINS. 

The temporary basis for a year would have taken a lot of pressure off while JJ momentum got the points on the board a January window where the club could have added a few new faces and a review in May. 

I do not believe the argument that players wouldn't sign permanently in January if the manager was temporary. It is not like Bowyer where players were actually drawn to the club because of the "big name" manager. I don't think many young players will have even heard of JJ. 

The decline after making managerial appts permanent is SO PREDICTABLE we could have preempted this problem and kept things going on a temp basis until May. 

After tonight's humiliating defeat we have confirmed that this season will be remembered as one of battling to stay out of a relegation dogfight and not one of even beginning to entertain thoughts of playoffs. To that end there doesn't seem much difference in direction from the Adkins era. 

In fairness JJ has a squad assembled by someone else and he will have a good idea of who needs to be shifted out and what sort of replacements are needed. And this is not to take away from the brilliant momentum he produced as temporary manager. The problem was making it permanent when they did. 

The question for Sandguaard is How many seasons are you prepared to bankroll a failing football in League One? 

And one for Gallen and co: 

Washington, DJ, Leko and Kirk are not good enough. 

Absolutely Spot on. The gaggle of #givehimthejobpermant crowd on Twitter have moved on to other issues now. Signing players etc. Funny that Jackson had them playing out of their skin when temporary manager, since he's become permanent we've gone back to Nigel Adkins Form.

For what it's worth if you check the football salary website we have one of the highest paid squads in the league so bankrolling is exactly what TS is doing.

The same people banging on about signing x,y and z already adding to a large wage bill are the same crowd complaining about the price of Hot Dogs and the price increase on the Valley Express or let's not forget "not a strong enough offer on season tickets to tempt me" Furthermore I would love to know how many of them actually have a season ticket or perish the thought signed up to Valley Gold to support the Youth Setup.

I get TS was a little exuberant when taking over, I get some people don't like his brash / flash persona. However, it is worth remembering he's funding a hobby that we all enjoy and so far he's been bled for about £10million if what's been posted on this site is accurate.