Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | January 12, 2022

Comments

• Options
    There were some terrible performances tonight but Famewo was abysmal.  He needs to be sent back to Norwich as he is not good enough.
  • Options
    Can we skip to the end of this horrific season please?
  • Options
    Very tough job for Jackson now.  I think he’s going to be a decent manager for us and do well, but being so inexperienced and having to get more out of this lot would be tough for a lot of managers.  I still expect we’ll have enough to finish mid to lower half of the table, but we have a big summer ahead 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Shambles.  Not good enough.  Even adding 3 or 4 players to this squad next season won’t see us go up.  Forget the disallowed goal, clutching at straws

I fell out of love with the team last season, exactly the same this season.  Don’t want to sign Lee on a permanent, Gilbey isn’t good enough, many think he is, he’s got one goal this season.  DJ, CBT, Kirk, Morgan, are all canon fodder.  Washington, is that a man that’s going to get you the goals you need?  I actually quite like him, but I don’t see him being part of a promotion squad.  Leko, probably not consistent enough.  Purrington was someone we were saying we needed better or improving on, yet he’s a mainstay.  

Stockley comes back and adds a bit more weight to the attack, but again, going to need a lot better around him.

Pearce, re-signed as cover in the main, think he’s been ever present for a couple of months now.  I can’t see how anyone can put their rose tinted glasses on anymore.  Crewe are one of the worst teams in the division and they deserved the win tonight and we struggled against them. 

I’m fed up saying it, but massive clear out this summer.  Wipe the memory of these mediocre flannels from my mind and give me a fresh bunch of players to get excited about, because this lot are sorry excuse for a bunch of footballers. 
    Can’t argue with any of that. I’ve never got the hype over Leko, just not good enough. This season likewise with Lee, no end product. Don’t want to sign either permanently. Only think CBT got a contract because we needed t9 sign someone to bolster the squad. Although they didn’t play tonight Gunter and Watson have got to go. Likewise with Henderson, not needed, not good enough. Another massive rebuild in the summer. And, as Adkins said at the end of last season, it needs to happen early so the players have a pre season together and we hit the ground running. If not then write off next season too. At the moment we are a total shambles of a team.
  • Options
    I try not to be over the top when reacting but that feels like a real low tonight. I just cannot believe this is the same team that smashed Plymouth with so much intensity just 6 weeks ago, 
    Wanted Jacko to get the job, Jacko got the job, job done, down tools again.
  • Options
    For all the talk of signings etc that we need we also surely need to address the coaching set up, we have essentially been a coach down since Adkins left and Jacko stepped up and are still in that position months down the line which you could argue is bordering on negligent.

Since the end of October until now we still don't have a permanent assistant manager for our current manager who is in his first permanent managerial job. It would have made sense for Euell to get the job at the same time as Jacko was made permanent which suggests either the club don't want to appoint him or he doesn't want the job, but either way surely someone suitable could have been found within that time? 

• Options
    The goalie tried to save it and wasn't complaining that Leko was in his way until the ref's assistant's flag. That means it should have been a goal but maybe that would have papered over cracks which need sorting out. We are too easy, even for shit defenders, to defend against and have been for quite a few games.
    So because the goalie didn’t complain they should have awarded the goal? 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Was anyone else impressed with Morgan little cameo tonight? 
    Maybe I’m just trying to see positives but I think he would be better deeper.. not in the 10 role.
    & Yes I’ve worked that all out in the space of 12/13 mins that played 😉
    Good awareness as well to block out a dangerous Crewe attack (after another defensive screw up)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For all the talk of signings etc that we need we also surely need to address the coaching set up, we have essentially been a coach down since Adkins left and Jacko stepped up and are still in that position months down the line which you could argue is bordering on negligent.

Since the end of October until now we still don't have a permanent assistant manager for our current manager who is in his first permanent managerial job. It would have made sense for Euell to get the job at the same time as Jacko was made permanent which suggests either the club don't want to appoint him or he doesn't want the job, but either way surely someone suitable could have been found within that time? 

I’m beginning to wonder if TS felt pushed into a corner to give JJ the job, gave him a contract based on league position, not giving him a number 2, not strengthening the squad, finish lower in the league than contract stipulates, gets rid of JJ stating such, brings in the person he really wanted. Far fetched and almost certainly wrong but ...
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    I know it sounds ridiculous to even suggest it but given our powderpuff attack I'd be tempted to put young Kanu on the bench on Saturday and bring him on to provide a goal threat. So young, very little experience, raw as hell - but the kid knows how to finish.
    I said this to my old man a couple of games ago, but then again, he still hasn't signed a pro contract... if he gets a goal or two and doesn't sign, the club would get crucified
  • Options
    All those #givehimthejobpermanently will eat their words tonight, last week, the week before...next week. As nauseum. 

There are, I'm sure, various reasons for keeping a temporary manager "temporary". For someone who has never been a manager before ... a 6month-one year probationary period is probably  essential. Whoever they are. Because it is precisely the "pressure" when expectation arrives (that comes with things being made permanent)  that reveals most. 

Those who have dated someone, for example, will know the difference in pressure between dating that person ... and married life. In married life e v e r y o n e expects a certain standard from you. Forever! Not just the missus! Before marriage there is no such pressure. 

If Sandgaard had not listened to all the "Give him the job permanently NOW" nonsense (because the team had won 6 in 9 and actually remembered caution we would still have a temporary manager and I have no doubt we would have  A LOT MORE WINS. 

The temporary basis for a year would have taken a lot of pressure off while JJ momentum got the points on the board a January window where the club could have added a few new faces and a review in May. 

I do not believe the argument that players wouldn't sign permanently in January if the manager was temporary. It is not like Bowyer where players were actually drawn to the club because of the "big name" manager. I don't think many young players will have even heard of JJ. 

The decline after making managerial appts permanent is SO PREDICTABLE we could have preempted this problem and kept things going on a temp basis until May. 

After tonight's humiliating defeat we have confirmed that this season will be remembered as one of battling to stay out of a relegation dogfight and not one of even beginning to entertain thoughts of playoffs. To that end there doesn't seem much difference in direction from the Adkins era. 

In fairness JJ has a squad assembled by someone else and he will have a good idea of who needs to be shifted out and what sort of replacements are needed. And this is not to take away from the brilliant momentum he produced as temporary manager. The problem was making it permanent when they did. 

The question for Sandguaard is How many seasons are you prepared to bankroll a failing football in League One? 

And one for Gallen and co: 

Washington, DJ, Leko and Kirk are not good enough. 

• Options
    *Ad nauseum 
  • Options
    *failing football club 
  • Options
    Such a shame the form has dipped again after JJ’s permanent appointment. We are not far away from a decent side one too many are just below par again right now and that has to change. That said, until Stockley, MacG and JFC are available, I cannot see that happening with ease unless signings are made. Convinced this season is now dead for us. Mid table at best. So frustrated but hope we can turn it around to help JJ build something ready for next season…
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I’m not going to judge Jackson too much based on what happens this season. He’s inherited a bunch of players who have a bit of quality, but are largely pretty bland with the exception of a handful.

He’s also been in the job for literally a month. Give him time.

This season was never likely to be ‘the one’ after the start we had.

Leko is awful. Never understood the hype during the first spell, and still don’t.
  • Options
    He's been in the job since October? His change in job title won't have had any affect on match prep and training. 

Need to count those days as him being in charge otherwise his points ratio is not at all Impressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guess the new manager bump is over.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    So I watched the last 60 minutes of this game out of the corner of my eye because I was in meetings. But apart from the final 15 minutes of the first half where we completely fell apart, we didn't look...terrible to me. I get why losing to such a poor team evokes strong reactions, but am I way off base here? Was I not seeing the whole thing? Were we really that bad? 
    No we weren't & we started quite brightly with quite a few crosses coming into the box (on the floor for once which is good when you dont have a 6ft 3 striker) which were either cut out by defenders with last ditch tackles or the keeper blocking the cross.

Problem is, like against Wycombe on NYD, we dont capitalise when we are on top. We don't have a clinical finisher or a poacher and so half chances aren't taken. We also have shot shy midfielders & wingers who dont cut in & shoot (even though they are playing on the "wrong side" and (so I'm told) is the reason they play that way) so we don't score worldies or gobble up spilled shots from distance. 

Then we fall behind because during a 90 min football match even poor sides will have moments to score. And here us the kicker........

We don't win once we concede the first goal. 

Its now once in 48 games. Read that again. In the last 48 league games that we have let in the first goal we have won just once.  Teams know they just have to score the first goal & they wont lose. 

And to Rich Cawley and Louis Mendez  - please ask Jackson if he knows this stat & what the hell is he going to do about it. 

Cheers Golfie, never good when you and I are ones who see some positives, or at least don't exclusively see negatives. 

That stat is absolutely mental. 
  • Options
    People annoyed at Adkins' insistence with the 4-3-3 must also pull up Jackson on his constant use of this 3-5-2 formation. 

We have no proper wing backs, which are supposed to be the strength of the formation. A manager is supposed to pick a formation to get the best out of the players, not shoehorn players around a new formation you've decided you have to play every game. 
    The formation was working but i completely agree it's now been shown up. Realistically we should've been in the market on 1st Jan for a couple of wing backs.

I'm not quite sure what our recruitment team are doing, they must've known where our weaknesses are, they must've known Stockley was going to be injured for a while. We're now 13 days into January and not even a hint of a signing.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Mason Burstow on his first league goal.  No one else in the front seven looked even close to scoring.

We keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

The ref was a complete joke.
  • Options
    The team and away numbers are nearing non league ….

repect to the Crewe 301 , doffs cap 

there are no words that aren’t abusive and swearing , useless twunts all of em 

49%     7th-12th
    48%        13th-20th
    3%          Welcome to hell 
  • Options
    Disjointed mess.

Far too easy for the opposition to go from back to front. 

The side needs to get way more tighter and compact, far too much space for the oppo to expoit.

That's a side that would get Managers the sack.
  • Options
    What depresses me about this season is that we have played so many teams who have genuinely looked awful and yet still managed to beat us. This is no disrespect to Crewe at all but they are a very ordinary team and yet still beat us comfortably. I am increasingly coming round to the conclusion that we are just a very ordinary team as well which wouldn't be so bad if our squad wasn't earning probably 10x what the likes of Crewe's etc do.

I actually don't think our issues are down to a lack of effort, when things are gloomy it can often be cathartic to slate the players and say they don't try which I don't think is the case and I sincerely doubt JJ would tolerate anyone not playing for the shirt.

However our decision making is absolutely atrocious at times, you hear the word football intelligence banded about a lot and we seem to have barely any of it. So many times we seem to make stupid decisions or errors, we mess about and miss a sitter and then 2 minutes make a defensive mistake and concede a goal. It happens game after game, we have decent passages of play but nobody has the nouse to stick the ball in the net and then we concede a goal and end up chasing the game.

There are a lot of players in this league who perhaps lack a bit of quality but have the experience of what is needed to scrape a result in this league and we don't seem to have any characters like that either, the offside goal pretty much encapsulated our lack of intelligence and poor decision making. I like Leko and on another night the goal would have stood so don't want to make a huge deal of it but I felt that moment just summed up our entire season. 

I trust Jacko to get us out this League eventually and I'm sure better times are ahead but what a miserable time it is at the moment. 
    Great post...I was thinking that myself watching the game.....not too many of these players have football intelligence
  • Options
    Totally abject performance no doubt about that but I dont agree that the players have downed tools they were imo trying but obviously failing. I'm one of Albies biggest critics however I said before the game that if there was ever a match to play him it was against Crewe as he can obviously pick a great pass IF he is given time to dwell on the ball and have the time to play it Crewe were never going to be pressing. Lee is just trying too hard and needs to stop the tricks and just play simple, if we had just played a passing game we would have turned that game around but the panic just set in as usual once we went behind.
    We certainly need 2 or 3 players brought in this window but cant really see that happening as I think we might have written this season off now
  • Options
    We’ve got little creativity and despite Washington’s willing, we are lacking in strikers, hence things have to go well for us to win games .  When we had Grant and the guy with pink hair up front, plus people like Aribo in midfield, we could get free points from a moment of magic .  

Adkins etc left us with a willing but limited squad , hence why we are struggling. 
  • Options
    Congratulations to Mason Burstow on his first league goal.  No one else in the front seven looked even close to scoring.

We keep shooting ourselves in the foot.

The ref was a complete joke.
    Has Elliot Lee ever scored an overhead kick - as he has tried at least 3 in the last two games..