Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | January 12, 2022

Comments

• Options
    Something isn't clicking at the moment. I have no idea why, but we look a completely different side from a few weeks back.
  • Options
    Our decision making in the final third is appalling.
    We get in good positions but consistently fail to capitalise.
    Our passing is badly weighted or wayward.
    Our crossing delayed or poor or fails to happen
    Our shooting lacks technique or direction and any belief.
    Players lack the vision and awareness of their teammates positioning.
    We lack guile and nous.
    Washington only thrives in the shadow of Stockley's presence and his finishing is unreliable and when one-on-one virtually non-existent.
    Stockley has presence and is an asset in this league, but is nonetheless somewhat one dimensional and limited.
    We seriously need some real quality.
    We desperately need a couple of marquee signings, what you would call game-changers.
    Given the apparent tortoise like nature of our recruitment I suggest we start our summer recruitment now.
    I also think Tommy needs to push the boat out a little bit to get the players we need, not fifth on a list.
    Yes I know it's not my money, before anybody makes that cretinous statement.
    But Tommy needs to wake up and smell the coffee
  • Options
    Didn’t watch the game but followed on here, some general observations. Pearce has done very well for last 2 months, but probably the correct time to bring him out of the side again. DJ and Leko are so incredibly inconsistent, both should be disappointed with their contributions this season. Renewing CBT contract was a mistake. Elliott Lee needs to do more in the final 3rd.

Jacko has a massive squad to choose from but most aren’t good enough. Unfortunately, we have too many bad players to replace in this window. 
  • Options
    Stockley also only seems to perform when Wash is playing. 

The two have built up a good relationship on the pitch, but this comes at the sacrifice of being able to play with others up top. 
  • Options
    Forgot to mention our set-piece delivery. Jeez
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    To be fair to Jackson, he needs a striking option. That is a fault in the squad that needs to be addressed. There is no dynamism in the box and we are too easy to mark, out muscle, out jump there. When Stockley is not playing our front two play too individually.
  • Options
    The simple fact is that this group of players are not good enough. 
    When we have our strongest 11 available we can compete with the top six.
    But it's not very often we have our strongest 11 available and there lies the problem. 
    We have so many players nowhere near good enough who we have to call on as replacement s
    It makes no difference wheather Bowyer Adkins or Jackson is in charge if the players ain't good enough we will not get promoted. 
    Sandgaard is the man responsible for bankrolling a decent squad but so far he's falling way short of what he initially promised  
    This season has been nothing short of a disaster following our disastrous transfer window last summer. 
    Will he learn and get it right this summer?
    We shall see.
    Personally I don't think he will.
  • Options
    The northern "local" commentators I had to endure were commenting (borderline taking the piss) on the amount of times the ball was going out of play in our possession. It was annoying, but only made slightly less annoying because they were right and it was even walked over the line a couple of times.
  • Options
    I thought Dagenham 2011 was the nadir of being a Charlton fan, but this feels on a par. When will things actually get better for us and we have more than 1 fleeting season of success surrounded by years of shite

Having been at both, Dagenham was worse. Lincoln was a bit worse than last night as well.

Still registered very highly on the s--- scale though. Shocking performance, I don't understand the disallowed goal but we didn't deserve it anyway

• Options
    The problem with set pieces, even if we did try to bang them all into the box, who are we expecting to win the headers? Pearce has never prolific from corners, Famewo has never scored. Purrington only really scores on the 2nd chance and not the header.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I have said for a while, if you take a step back we are not in that bad a position because it is pretty clear what is wrong. Under Adkins it wasn't. We are toothless up front without Stockley or if Stockley plays but has a poor game - which to be fair is not a common occurrence but some defenders play better against him than others. We saw a great example yesterday with their first goal when a player was quick to follow up. We had a similar opportunity but our striker was on his heels! Our strikers are too static in the box, are not nasty and are too easy to mark. In fact, it looks sometimes like they mark the defenders. Address that and defeats would turn to victories. But there was an urgency there as this has not just become obvious and teams have sussed out how to play against us and we are in the window so it is same old Charlton for me. Always finding a way to cock it up.

Another example is what has been a common occurrence where a wide player has time to play a ball in and there is no free runner. In all honesty, there ought to be one or two making runs/finding space that the wide player knows they will be making/finding. Look at a good offensive team in those situations where players find space in different ways.
  • Options
    There is only one person to blame for the disallowed goall,Leko,he was offside by miles,he could not have contributed to a goal,he should have just got away from the area quickley,but no when the shot comes in he moves towards the ball,brainless.
  • Options
    All those #givehimthejobpermanently will eat their words tonight, last week, the week before...next week. As nauseum. 

There are, I'm sure, various reasons for keeping a temporary manager "temporary". For someone who has never been a manager before ... a 6month-one year probationary period is probably  essential. Whoever they are. Because it is precisely the "pressure" when expectation arrives (that comes with things being made permanent)  that reveals most. 

Those who have dated someone, for example, will know the difference in pressure between dating that person ... and married life. In married life e v e r y o n e expects a certain standard from you. Forever! Not just the missus! Before marriage there is no such pressure. 

If Sandgaard had not listened to all the "Give him the job permanently NOW" nonsense (because the team had won 6 in 9 and actually remembered caution we would still have a temporary manager and I have no doubt we would have  A LOT MORE WINS. 

The temporary basis for a year would have taken a lot of pressure off while JJ momentum got the points on the board a January window where the club could have added a few new faces and a review in May. 

I do not believe the argument that players wouldn't sign permanently in January if the manager was temporary. It is not like Bowyer where players were actually drawn to the club because of the "big name" manager. I don't think many young players will have even heard of JJ. 

The decline after making managerial appts permanent is SO PREDICTABLE we could have preempted this problem and kept things going on a temp basis until May. 

After tonight's humiliating defeat we have confirmed that this season will be remembered as one of battling to stay out of a relegation dogfight and not one of even beginning to entertain thoughts of playoffs. To that end there doesn't seem much difference in direction from the Adkins era. 

In fairness JJ has a squad assembled by someone else and he will have a good idea of who needs to be shifted out and what sort of replacements are needed. And this is not to take away from the brilliant momentum he produced as temporary manager. The problem was making it permanent when they did. 

The question for Sandguaard is How many seasons are you prepared to bankroll a failing football in League One? 

And one for Gallen and co: 

Washington, DJ, Leko and Kirk are not good enough. 

The exact same thing happened when United appointed Ole. Never understood the clamour for Jacksons appointment to be made permanent, unfortunately whipped up every week by Mendez and Co, probably because he was nice to them and easy to get on with. 

Feeling really fed up and annoyed about the mismanagement of our club over several years atm. 
  • Options
    Having watched the highlights numerous tines I can't work out what Hendo is doing for their second goal?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

My first in the flesh match for nearly two years as I had got used to settling down to watch a stream in the comfort of my living room. With the relatively safer environment than it was when the pandemic first struck it was at last time to vocally get behind the team.

Another first was the ground which is about the 80th I’ve visited over the last six decades. It is all a covered seater, with one very large cantilever stand down one side and the rest shallow with us away fans on the opposite side. Three hundred hardy Addicks had made the trek although for some of us luckier ones it was short albeit not sweet!

Where to start? Henderson in goal could only have been due MacG having picked up a knock in training but no worries me thinks, Hendo had acquitted himself reasonably well in the Cup games. Defence and midfield picks itself of late and with Washington returning but no Stockley and on paper Leko was given the nod.

We started with purpose with a few early attacks down our right with players getting to the dead ball line in the box. The final ball however never found a Charlton player. Was it poor deliveries, good defending or our forwards inability to get in front of their markers with some intelligent movement? A combination of all three!

Crewe offered no signs of what was to follow against the run of play but if you don’t take your chances when in the ascendancy you are liable to a sucker punch which was delivered with HT fast approaching. The ball was lumped upfield fell to one of their players who got a shot off which Hendo saved but didn’t hold and bingo the rebound was dispatched into the onion bag. The oppo couldn’t believe their luck against the mighty Charlton forming a big celebratory huddle in the corner delaying the restart like what seemed an eternity. Yes the time waisting had already started. Not to worry though we had all the second half to turn this around.

What we hadn’t bargained for was another haymaker on the chin before regrouping over a cuppa, this time from a corner. From my view their player had a completely free header but I now understand Hendo went AWOL hanging out the washing! The players were now truly punch drunk 

With no changes for the second half and their ears ringing hopefully from a Jacko broadside the team huffed and puffed but couldn’t blow the Railwaymen’s house down. They time wasted dived to the floor at every opportunity and the weak, useless ref was easily swayed by the cries of two thousand partisans in the ‘ski slope’ stand.

On the hour changes were afoot with CBT and young Burstow replacing Purrington neither of whom did anything special but how Leko dodged the hook is a mystery and turned out to be very costly. The latter went to RWB with Burstow replacing him up top and CBT at LWB. This seemed to give us a bit of a lift but still we struggled to put decent moves together.

Apart from a couple of runs the ineffective Gilbey, just one of several players on the night, was replaced by Morgan and although not his biggest fan he did ok.

Famewo was not having one of his better games and was lucky not to concede a couple of penalties. He also got quite vocal with CBT who couldn’t read his mind with some passes down the line but that was six of one half a dozen of the other!

And then finally a glimmer of hope with Washington’s never say die work rate and Lee still showing for the ball come what may a lose bouncing ball was nodded back into an unguarded net by Burstow with ten minutes plus injury time to go.

It wasn’t to be however despite Lee having smashed the ball over the line off the crossbar Geoff Hurst style in the dying embers with the hapless Leko apparently infringing the laws of the game.

An honest bunch of players who have to be at the top their games to win week in week out but a squad lacking in real quality and depth to mount a serious challenge for top six let alone automatic promotion. Big reshuffle required again in the summer I’m afraid otherwise more third tier mediocrity beckons. 

Felt sorry for those who’d made that journey up north for a midweek encounter to watch such an abject performance,? Hats off to everyone of you👏.

See you at Harlepool those daring to venture northwards again so soon COYRs.

Mac’s wife had gone into labour which was why he was missing.
  • Options
    two things wrong 1) we can't defend .. 2) we don't score goals ...

Clare is a decent player but not a natural defender
    Famewo, I'll say again, not all that, tries hard but lacks talent
    Pearce is showing signs of wear and tear after a tough career ..
     I said months ago our priority is for a good old fashioned no nonsense centre back .. one like Inniss but one who can get up and play regularly

Our second priority is for a striker to play alongside Stockley .. read my post about the London cost of living .. we will have to pay BIG bucks to attract a good one .. has Sandy got the money ?

I can just tolerate a midfield that lacks goals so long as they are creating chances. As we all know, a t m without Stockley, there is precious little for the midfield to create chances for.
    I expect little activity in this window, BUT a lot of strengthening will be needed in the summer if we are to achieve Sandy's ambition  of European football, that is anything more than a pre season friendly in Ostend
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

My first in the flesh match for nearly two years as I had got used to settling down to watch a stream in the comfort of my living room. With the relatively safer environment than it was when the pandemic first struck it was at last time to vocally get behind the team.

Another first was the ground which is about the 80th I’ve visited over the last six decades. It is all a covered seater, with one very large cantilever stand down one side and the rest shallow with us away fans on the opposite side. Three hundred hardy Addicks had made the trek although for some of us luckier ones it was short albeit not sweet!

Where to start? Henderson in goal could only have been due MacG having picked up a knock in training but no worries me thinks, Hendo had acquitted himself reasonably well in the Cup games. Defence and midfield picks itself of late and with Washington returning but no Stockley and on paper Leko was given the nod.

We started with purpose with a few early attacks down our right with players getting to the dead ball line in the box. The final ball however never found a Charlton player. Was it poor deliveries, good defending or our forwards inability to get in front of their markers with some intelligent movement? A combination of all three!

Crewe offered no signs of what was to follow against the run of play but if you don’t take your chances when in the ascendancy you are liable to a sucker punch which was delivered with HT fast approaching. The ball was lumped upfield fell to one of their players who got a shot off which Hendo saved but didn’t hold and bingo the rebound was dispatched into the onion bag. The oppo couldn’t believe their luck against the mighty Charlton forming a big celebratory huddle in the corner delaying the restart like what seemed an eternity. Yes the time waisting had already started. Not to worry though we had all the second half to turn this around.

What we hadn’t bargained for was another haymaker on the chin before regrouping over a cuppa, this time from a corner. From my view their player had a completely free header but I now understand Hendo went AWOL hanging out the washing! The players were now truly punch drunk 

With no changes for the second half and their ears ringing hopefully from a Jacko broadside the team huffed and puffed but couldn’t blow the Railwaymen’s house down. They time wasted dived to the floor at every opportunity and the weak, useless ref was easily swayed by the cries of two thousand partisans in the ‘ski slope’ stand.

On the hour changes were afoot with CBT and young Burstow replacing Purrington neither of whom did anything special but how Leko dodged the hook is a mystery and turned out to be very costly. The latter went to RWB with Burstow replacing him up top and CBT at LWB. This seemed to give us a bit of a lift but still we struggled to put decent moves together.

Apart from a couple of runs the ineffective Gilbey, just one of several players on the night, was replaced by Morgan and although not his biggest fan he did ok.

Famewo was not having one of his better games and was lucky not to concede a couple of penalties. He also got quite vocal with CBT who couldn’t read his mind with some passes down the line but that was six of one half a dozen of the other!

And then finally a glimmer of hope with Washington’s never say die work rate and Lee still showing for the ball come what may a lose bouncing ball was nodded back into an unguarded net by Burstow with ten minutes plus injury time to go.

It wasn’t to be however despite Lee having smashed the ball over the line off the crossbar Geoff Hurst style in the dying embers with the hapless Leko apparently infringing the laws of the game.

An honest bunch of players who have to be at the top their games to win week in week out but a squad lacking in real quality and depth to mount a serious challenge for top six let alone automatic promotion. Big reshuffle required again in the summer I’m afraid otherwise more third tier mediocrity beckons. 

Felt sorry for those who’d made that journey up north for a midweek encounter to watch such an abject performance,? Hats off to everyone of you👏.

See you at Harlepool those daring to venture northwards again so soon COYRs.

Mac’s wife had gone into labour which was why he was missing.
    Fair enough reason 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're going to have to step up massively if want to get something at Cheltenham on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights again.....

I see slow-as-a-carthorse Pearce was turned again for the action that led to the "not a penalty but a corner" that led to their 2nd. 

2 games in a row he's been turned & left treading water. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Well, it started brightly, tailed off a bit at the end, and the least said about the intervening period the better, we have gone backwards spectacularly since Jacko has been in the perm position, which is very strange, and seems as if the players have relaxed after what they wanted was granted.
    It does show the reliance we seem to have on Jayden to get us anything up front, and up till last night the last person to score apart from Jayden was Gilbey against Ipswich, we urgently need some new impetus this month, and the sooner the better.
    We certainly missed Mac in goal, let's all hope that all went well for Mr & Mrs Mac, and look forward to hearing of the new arrival.. :)

• Options
    I'd suggest we look at simplifying things in our next games. 

Wing backs aren't working without a big man for them to deliver to. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd suggest we look at simplifying things in our next games. 

Wing backs aren't working without a big man for them to deliver to. 
    That’s the problem with no Stockley who let’s not forget has his detractors amongst the fan base. Man City cope admirably without a target man but we can only dream of having players of that quality.

Who was it who said ‘One man doesn’t make a team’? It shouldn’t but in our case Stockley certainly does at the moment.
  • Options
    Crewe ,must love us. £500,000 for Kirk not even on the bench, surely he had something to prove?
    Also why not bring Innes on at half time as Pearce and Famewo were both terrible!
    Strangely Lee cannot take a decent corner or free kick at the moment and why oh why was Leko standing next to their goalkeeper. That was the nearest he got to their goal.