Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread [+post match p.17]: Charlton vs Norwich | FA Cup 3rd Round | Sun 9th January 2022, 2pm

1192021222325»

Comments

• Options
    Played well yesterday but missed Washington and Stockley. What was annoying , especially on half time with a free kick, was all the short corners and short free kicks… with Innis and Pearce just lump it in the box.On half time, from a good position, we could have thrown into the mixer…. but no..Lee does a short pass to someone and the ref blows for half time
  • Options
    It feels as if we are making our set pieces too complicated, to make up for the fact that our dead ball delivery isn't good enough.
  • Options
    PWR

I thought as a third division club we played well against a team two divisions higher than us and deserved something from the match. Good to see us competing and looking like we actually wanted to win a FA Cup match for a change.

Sadly we were unable to take the half chances we created (compare Leko with Udo of Shrewsbury against Liverpool for example) and it was inevitable that we would be punished eventually. The option to introduce Pukki as a sub (compare and contrast Josh Davison who I like incidentally) meant class would out at some point. Dear old Jason Pearce did his best to chase Pukki but I knew that one way or the other it was going to be 1-0 to them following that move.

What now?

We are 14 points off 6th after 24 games so play offs look unrealistic. However we are only 6 points off 21st so could get dragged into a relegation scrap if we are not careful. First target safety. Second target finish higher than 14th our worst post world war 2 league finish.

COYR

• Options
    For my pennies worth, we were the better team in the first half. It was the subs at the start of the 2nd that turned it around for them.
    Are subs later added nothing to the performance of our team. That is the difference between even a poor premiership side and a league one team, the size and depth of quality of the squads,
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Proud of the team, didn't realise that Washington was out as well as Stockley. Was then quite negative about how we'd do but pleasantly surprised. We deserved extra time imo.

Lee was his usual self, utterly frustrating, 20% chance of a good set-piece. Why he gets sung about all the time is beyond me. Did the small stuff well as usual, the less said about the end the better. He's just not very good but on balance he still has to be in the team.

Leko was also his usual self, headless chicken, lazy at times, greedy, poor decisions. Hopefully we can get rid after this season.

The defence were brilliant in general I thought - especially Clare, Innis and Pearce.

Dobson was excellent getting really stuck in and Gilbey worked really hard.

Think we would have won with Washington and Stockley up front. 

Mention for Burstow who is raw and needs to toughen a bit but gave a good account of himself.

All in all a decent showing, but maybe Henderson can teach Lee how to take a decent set-piece (and DJ how to cross the ball.)

As said above have faith in JJ as long as he's backed properly and we get some decent depth.
    Because he's not Albie Morgan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to like Dean Smith,but after his "we got drawn in to scrappy play by them"he can get stuffed,they will go down,and hopefully fade into obscurity.Really pisses me off when oppo managers cannot force themselves to give just a bit of credit when their team does not perform as the want.
    Slagged our pitch off too.
  • Options
    A pretty good warm up for the coming run of league games, all of which are winnable and should see us start to narrow the gap for the play off places. Disappointed only with CBT who didn’t seem to have got the memo today - he’s far better than that and needs to start making sure people know it. Some superb performances today otherwise against PL players, even if they are crap PL players atm, and the charlton players can take that away and put that in their lockers
    Wish I had your confidence. Given our current form and likelihood that Stockley will be out for a while yet, there's every chance we will suffer a few more morale-sapping defeats. Four of the next five games (including Hartlepool in the EFL Trophy) are away from home. I can't see it being easy. 

• Options
    Ah man, so frustrating. That was a game that was there to be won and we really should have. Just not good enough in the final third and our quality from wide areas and corners was just not at the required level. 

A very gallant effort none the less, just couldn’t turn play and pressure into a goal. A keep saying every game ‘we wouldn’t have lost that with Stockley playing’ and I’m starting to wonder if I’m over-championing him.

Dobson was outstanding I thought 
    It wasn't that long ago that Stockley was getting pelters from some sections. He didn't cut the mustard in the Championship with Preston and he is probably a League One or League Two standard forward. His scoring record over the last ten seasons (saving 2017-19 with Exeter City in League Two) is typically single figures. He is arguably playing the best football of his career but he is not going to fire us to promotion with 20 plus goals. It's a sign of how weak we are upfront that many of us are over-championing him. Even without goals, his presence gives a bit more to the likes of Washington, who is also never going to lead us to promotion with his goals. 

We need two more prolific goalscorers. Stockley and Washington could provide decent support in those circumstances. Relying on Davison and now Burstowe is unrealistic and potentially damaging for the pair of them. 
  • Options
    How is any of that remotely funny?
    Odd 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah dont know if its my age - the responses to the actual tweet think its brilliant

But dont see what's funny about that... e.g. the blokes dressed up as Palace fans taking the piss out of themselves, and the Millwall bloke who pretends to be a Charlton trainspotter are a little funny as they have a bit of context.

That's just random though
  • Options
    Smith comes across as someone who really needed a break after Villa sacked him, and looks like he took the wrong job, purely because it was there
  • Options
    MOTD also singled out Gunter as at fault for the goal which is not something I’ve seen mentioned on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOTD also singled out Gunter as at fault for the goal which is not something I’ve seen mentioned on here.
    Was he the one in the middle of the three running back? - I guess he could have been quicker in which case he'd have been able to cut out the cross from Pukki, as Clare was busy marking Rashica
  • Options
    Was he the one in the middle of the three running back? - I guess he could have been quicker in which case he'd have been able to cut out the cross from Pukki, as Clare was busy marking Rashica
    Did you mention Gunter and running in the same sentence there ?
  • Options
    There was definitely some messy defending before the pass to Pukki. It was on the left hand side. An area Innis was marshalling very well before Gunter came on for him.
  • Options
    Odd 🤷‍♀️
    Yeah dont know if its my age - the responses to the actual tweet think its brilliant

But dont see what's funny about that... e.g. the blokes dressed up as Palace fans taking the piss out of themselves, and the Millwall bloke who pretends to be a Charlton trainspotter are a little funny as they have a bit of context.

I'm 33, don't find this remotely funny. 

Showed it to my nephew who is 16 and he doesn't get it either. 
  • Options
    He's let us down so many times that I think I've stopped noticing.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Odd 🤷‍♀️

I'm 33, don't find this remotely funny. 

Showed it to my nephew who is 16 and he doesn't get it either. 
    Some of his stuff is alright, but his paedo character weird.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hilarious that Dean Smith said they got “sucked into a battle” and our pitch was poor, as if we’re Accrington Stanley kicking lumps out of them. 

As for the goal, that pretty much sums up Chris Gunter. Getting rid of his wages is as key as signing a striker.
  • Options
    Hilarious that Dean Smith said they got “sucked into a battle” and our pitch was poor, as if we’re Accrington Stanley kicking lumps out of them. 

As for the goal, that pretty much sums up Chris Gunter. Getting rid of his wages is as key as signing a striker.
    Yes just watched Match Of The Day just now, completely agree with both points.
  • Options
    What the fuck is that?? I’m not a violent person but I’d love to slap this utter dildo.