Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread [+post match p.17]: Charlton vs Norwich | FA Cup 3rd Round | Sun 9th January 2022, 2pm

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Croydon said:
    Winnable game lost because of our attacking composure. 

Norwich would not look out of place in League One and we would have beaten them with a better striker. 
    Give it a rest ffs
    He hasn't said anything wrong there. That game was there for the taking, and our inability to score is why we lost.
    He never says anything else. That’s the point.
    Because it literally happens every game? 
    EVERY game huh!!
    Plymouth 1-0 Charlton

Charlton 0-1 Wycombe 

Charlton 0-1 Norwich

Are you seeing a pattern? 
    Thats three games, not EVERY game...

Include the other League / Cup games, then I'll think about listening when you want to be soooo dramatic
  • Stuggling with no Aneke to bring on! Didn't see him in the boardroom either.

The strike rate of our current side is pretty awful. Am starting to get a little worried as confidence doesn't just come from thin air, it can deteriorate. 
  • Croydon said:

Norwich would not look out of place in League One and we would have beaten them with a better striker. 
    Give it a rest ffs
    He hasn't said anything wrong there. That game was there for the taking, and our inability to score is why we lost.
    EVERY game huh!!
    Plymouth 1-0 Charlton

Charlton 0-1 Wycombe 

Charlton 0-1 Norwich

Include the other League / Cup games, then I'll think about listening when you want to be soooo dramatic
    I've posted every league game since Jackson's appointment as full-time manager. 

Including cup games that would be a total of 1 goal in 4 games. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59911407

How can a cup game end a run of league defeats?!
    It is only Norwich's fourth win of the season in all competitions and ends a run of five straight league defeats.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    That’ll be Norwich’s highlight of the season  
    It was their cup final.
  • some great break up play. All over them at the start of the second half. good moves into the final third then not a lot else. crossing is on the most part shocking.

Washington/Stockley alongside Burstow would of been the difference. 

3 subs made us worse, Innis coming off was the real blow though. Even more so when Gunter is the one replacing him.

Didn't deserve to lose. Norwich are league 1 standard and we should know having been in this poxy division for so many of our recent seasons but they will have their parachute payments and yo yo themselves back up. 
  • Croydon said:

Give it a rest ffs
    EVERY game huh!!
    Plymouth 1-0 Charlton

Charlton 0-1 Wycombe 

Charlton 0-1 Norwich

But thats not every game is it... You said: "Because it literally happens every game"

Not: "Because it literally happens every game under Jackson"
  • First game I've seen live. Am convinced Charlton are a very good side with a system that works for that side. We lost the game because we didn't have players who can finish. If we are to get something out of this season that has to be addressed and quickly. Washington to return is a bonus but without Stockley to create space for him then we will fall short. Losing the last three games by a narrow one nil says it all. 
  • edited January 2022
    cabbles said:
    Worked hard, very up for it and can’t fault the effort and application.  I thought we were poor in the final third and lack quality.  Lee’s set pieces were poor, you have to make the most of them in these games.  A couple of examples of the lack of quality was Gilbey’s pea roller in the second half, Dobson and Kirk trying to walk it in toward the end and that miss by Lee right at the end 

Not knocking them, but today showed why we’re a mid table league one outfit.  

You could argue it may have been different had Washington and Stockley played.

The frustrating thing for me is I think Norwich were beatable, but if you can’t stick the ball in the net then it’s irrelevant.

Real thought for me needs to go into what next season’s team looks like now.  This season is done.  We have to ask honest questions about the players we’ve got and ask, are they good enough?  As much as Norwich are a Premier League team, we replicate that sort of performance against other League One teams.  Are the so called better players strong enough to get us out of League One.  I’m erring on no.
    Sums up my thoughts entirely. Plenty of bodies not enough quality or strength in depth. Partial clear out and rebuild otherwise it’ll be more 3rd tier mediocrity 22/23 season.
  • Done ourselves proud imo and had a bit of nastiness about us which was refreshing to see. Certainly didn't deserve to lose that.
  • Really enjoyed that, good atmosphere and we gave it a good go. Easy to forget we didn't have Stockley and Washington, but we still should have scored. A bit toothless but not that surprising when you miss your key players. 

What is Lee doing at the end? He frustrates me, think he's way better than he is. Cost us ET with his selfishness. 

Someone said 'we could have done without ET as we have a game on Wednesday'. Early contender for strangest comment of the year. We're a midtable league 1 club who arn't going up or down!
    That would have been me :)
  • I enjoyed every minute listening to it.
    Thanks lads & the fans, you were awesome.
    Knew as it went on that we’d get done by a counter.
    Heh hoh!

Fingers crossed we do some decent business in this window 🤞🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

Give it a rest ffs
    EVERY game huh!!
    Plymouth 1-0 Charlton

Charlton 0-1 Wycombe 

Charlton 0-1 Norwich

But thats not every game is it... You said: "Because it literally happens every game"

Not: "Because it literally happens every game under Jackson"
    Pedant Quotes QuotesGram
    I'm sorry for being pedantic, but to simply say: "Every game" to me reads... Every game this season

Apologies to @SELR_Addick who didnt like being called out for it, when he wasnt clear
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59911407

How can a cup game end a run of league defeats?!
    It is only Norwich's fourth win of the season in all competitions and ends a run of five straight league defeats.
    We've been promoted to the Premier League already!
  • Don't actually think we played that well. We matched Norwich, but we have had better league one teams visit us this season.

Defence played well, but thought we lacked a bit everywhere else.

Our lack of options up top is criminal, and we have a midfield that are simply incapable of scoring 
  • edited January 2022
    Another thing, we're not the brightest team are we? One last chance to stick it in the box with 10 seconds of the first half left, but we dick about going short and the ref blows up. Unbelievable. The most Charlton Athletic thing i will ever see. 
    DJ eventually got the cross in (as the whistle blew) but unfortunately he aimed it at a Norwich fan half way inside the Jimmy Seed stand. 
  • Good performance overall, and as much as it would have been great if we equalised at the death, we can probably do without a replay...
    There are no replays.
    Probably could have done without Extra-Time

Didnt realise until someone mentioned earlier that we have Crewe on Wednesday
    Why? 

We are midtable in League One, we aren't going anywhere. 

At least in the FA cup we could have had something to look forward to. 
    Seriously you twat... Read the rest of my comment

WE... HAVE... A... GAME... ON... WEDNESDAY!!!
    So? We’re not realistically playing for anything in the league are we
    Its not mathematically over is it, not by a long way - Its an extreme stretch, but if the players came out with your defeatism, a number of you would calling them every name under the sun!!

Jesus, the amount of you prepared to wave the white flag so early is embarrassing
    Calm down

I’m not saying they should give up on the league, just that extra time and some tired players on Wednesday is worth a place in the 4th round of the FA Cup
    You’ve just got the hump because Leeds got knocked out as well. 
  • Can bet your life that Norwich get one of the big 6
    Or Palace Away 😢
  • Norwich are a very poor PL side, but in reality with a bit of confidence they're a very good Championship side, to give today some perspective.

We tried hard, but without Stockley and Washington looked very light up front, not helped by the lack of goals in midfield. Therefore set pieces become even more important as a means of nicking a goal against better opposition, and ours were atrocious.