Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
    mendonca said:
    Decent crowd (officially), how many actually there (roughly)?
    Decent hangovers in the crowd more like it!

We are a strange bunch us Charlton fans. Been singing and shouting for JJ to be our Manager for weeks. He is now our Manager and comes out in his first home game as permanent Manager, to the most muted welcome you could expect to hear. 

It's like we need some needle to motivate - Why isn't JJ our Manager. What is TS doing wrong. Whose the latest scapegoat in the first team ruining it. Bring back Roddy, why did we get rid of him, etc.
    You make a good point about requiring needle and it seems to have been that way for some time. There was a mass of apathy around the club in the 80s and relatively few seemed to give much of a shit when we went bust.....but the Back to The Valley stuff and then it actually happening, seemed to get people fired-up/interested again. 
  • A frustrating game. Yes we badly missed Stockley, and yes Davison had a mare, but we didn’t create enough and struggle to break down ugly sides. 

Jacko’s first test as a manager. He changed the system and personnel and turned things around. Now the opposition know what to expect, what next? Purrington on the back stick is no longer a surprise tactic for example, hence he’s now being well marked 

Yes Lee and Gilbey are good players, but we need more from them, they need to be scoring 5-10 goals a season, especially Lee.
  • Just a reminder that Davison had Covid-19.

I honestly don't know why Jackson waited so long to put the last two subs on the pitch.
  • mendonca said:
    We only have 3 goals from Lee, Gilbey and Dobson this season. 

That's too low from your 3 CMs. It also shows the value of JFC (despite his flaws) as he can turn games like yesterday into a 1-1.
    I remember on the "where are the goals going to come from" thread someone saying that we'd be alright as the midfielders would chip in with half a dozen each....😂😂😂😂
  • Not sure hangovers were the only reason for the obvious drop in attendees yesterday. I know seven people (all season ticket holders) who did not attend, including myself, and it was simply down to the current levels of Covid infections. I won't be going on Tuesday or next Saturday and won't be returning until the infection rates have dropped sharply. I know I am not alone in thinking this way.
    Are you vaccinated ?

I only ask because if you are then there is no real reason to not go. Do you stay at home all winter in case you get the flu ?  MMR ?
  • edited January 2022
    Not sure hangovers were the only reason for the obvious drop in attendees yesterday. I know seven people (all season ticket holders) who did not attend, including myself, and it was simply down to the current levels of Covid infections. I won't be going on Tuesday or next Saturday and won't be returning until the infection rates have dropped sharply. I know I am not alone in thinking this way.
    Are you vaccinated ?

I only ask because if you are then there is no real reason to not go. Do you stay at home all winter in case you get the flu ?  MMR ?
    I'm double vaccinated, but still caught COVID at the end of November.

Ironically I tested positive four days after the Plymouth game at the Valley - First "Fill the Valley" event, and I hadnt been anywhere else - So I'm pretty confident I caught it at Charlton
  • all been said, no Stockley, no goals .. thing is where to find a very good and consistent striker in January who is 'happy' to play second fiddle and spend a lot of time on the bench ?
  • Sponsored links:

• A good day out, interjected by a poor game of football.

How many times have we all said this over the years!? 
  • all been said, no Stockley, no goals .. thing is where to find a very good and consistent striker in January who is 'happy' to play second fiddle and spend a lot of time on the bench ?
    Going to be one of four options:

Currently in League One yet has reached their ceiling at their club (Stockton)
    Currently in League Two and producing (Matt @ Forest Green has been mentioned)
    Currently warming the bench in the Championship, doesn't have much to lose (Aneke)
    Or a youth prospect from the Premier League.

Anyone we bring in will be a risk, as there is always the potential they could be a Ajose, Benson, McAleny.
  • We’ve been pony since the Plymouth game and 7 points from 6 games is miles away from where we need to be and nearer relegation form .
    of course we’re better than we were ffs that was probably the worse footballing period in our history with Adkins at the start of this season so hardly something to tug ourselves off about .
    So many sub standard players it’s doing my head in .
    We are an established league one team , disgraceful times and I still can’t see the light at the end of this tunnel of shitness 
    The light at the end of the tunnel is the hope that Sandgaard stabilises the club and puts the foundations in place to be one of the clubs who replace clubs currently in The Championship, who are foolishly chasing The Premier League dream.
  • edited January 2022
    Agree on keeping our powder dry in this window IF we pull our finger out in the summer.  This season is flushed. Now rumours and conjecture on T'net may point to Ged as the culprit last close season, but we are routinely crap and on a back foot in our dealings i would suggest. The only exception I can serve up to counter my argument is the Powell summer dealings when we pissed this crap league.  If there is a Lyle Taylor (spits) to scoop up, go for it of course but I doubt it.

Currently warming the bench in the Championship, doesn't have much to lose (Aneke)

Anyone we bring in will be a risk, as there is always the potential they could be a Ajose, Benson, McAleny.
    Stockton would go straight into our team .. but I reckon IF he goes in Jan, he's Championship bound (Huddersfield, Blackpool ?) .. 
    as you say, always a danger that someone like Stockton is a one team man and/or a one season flash in the pan .. you pay your money and take the risks (not my money is it lol)
  • edited January 2022
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    We only have 3 goals from Lee, Gilbey and Dobson this season. 

That's too low from your 3 CMs. It also shows the value of JFC (despite his flaws) as he can turn games like yesterday into a 1-1.
    Agree though Lee and Gilbey have goals in them - is it more about the style of play, formation and their roles within that? They don't get in many shooting positions, Stockley, Washington and Purrington tend to be our main goal threats. I don't think it's solved just by putting JFC in the team.
    Do they? Lee seems scared to shoot half the time, and Gilbey can be so selfish around the box yet only has one goal to his name. It's not as if they're not in the right areas, they're just not scoring.
  • cabbles said:
    We’ve been pony since the Plymouth game and 7 points from 6 games is miles away from where we need to be and nearer relegation form .
    of course we’re better than we were ffs that was probably the worse footballing period in our history with Adkins at the start of this season so hardly something to tug ourselves off about .
    So many sub standard players it’s doing my head in .
    We are an established league one team , disgraceful times and I still can’t see the light at the end of this tunnel of shitness 
    Ipswich? Losing Stockley for three games hurt us as did the Covid absentees at Plymouth. Certainly true that after conceding at Morecambe we haven’t looked the part on the road. I think we have plenty of decent players at this level but we don’t have the depth that has been claimed because a lot of the squad - Arter, Gunter, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Davison, for example - aren’t useful options. 

The risk has always been that the season fades away, which it could easily now. You could then see a fall-off in season ticket sales, which were inflated by positivity around the takeover. That’s why we need signings in January and momentum going into the summer. It’s not so much about income but credibility. Dumping more and more tickets won’t help if the product is weak.
    Can we really add the sort of quality we’re looking for in Jan though?  I think DJ is okay, but I’m not sure a year on, we’ve got a player to get us out of this league.  

I would say unless we’re bringing in top quality in Jan (hard to do for any club), there is a risk we’ll have squad fodder exactly this time next year.  

I take your point about bringing players in to excite/increase season ticket sales, but unless that’s someone who genuinely takes your breath away, I can’t see it being a genuine pull for people to pay money next year.

I just looked at the top scorer in League 2 as an example.  Some bloke called Dom Telford.  In theory you could say that sounds like a decent buy, but given the players we’ve bought in over the last few years, if we announced we’d signed him tomorrow, it’s not someone that would blow me away.

The season is done.  Yes, it could be bad tailing off and finishing where we are, but given the notoriously difficult Jan window, I think the money is better saved and used in the summer when we’ve cleared out the dead wood like the ones you mentioned above.  

League Two signings (or equivalent in other euro leagues) are probably the best strategy right now. You could be probably take your pick as firstly we'd be pay higher salaries and secondly we can virtually guarantee League One promotion chasing football next season.

If we were to bring in 4 or 5 such players on short term, highly paid contracts, this season could act as a sort of trial for next season.

The question is whether the player has the confidence in himself to take the risk of a shorter term contract. I'd like to see us try this strategy.
  • Not sure hangovers were the only reason for the obvious drop in attendees yesterday. I know seven people (all season ticket holders) who did not attend, including myself, and it was simply down to the current levels of Covid infections. I won't be going on Tuesday or next Saturday and won't be returning until the infection rates have dropped sharply. I know I am not alone in thinking this way.
    Are you vaccinated ?

Ironically I tested positive four days after the Plymouth game at the Valley - First "Fill the Valley" event, and I hadnt been anywhere else - So I'm pretty confident I caught it at Charlton
    As long as people who choose not to go, also allow others that want to continue to go, without calling for lockdowns or other restrictions then ok. Live and let live, and live and let risk dying.
  • Sponsored links:

• So if:

-Stockley is out then we lack a target, threat and goals

-Stockley plays then the opposition can target his short fuse to derail his focus/give some niggles/get him on a yellow or red as nobody else in our squad can adequately take his place.

We've moved from Aneke (who was excellent in his mins) and Ronnie (who we thought would come good). Either way both are seasoned Pros, but now have a player who is looking like the loanee in L2 last season and promising Burstow in their place. 
  • edited January 2022
    mendonca said:
    Decent crowd (officially), how many actually there (roughly)?
    Decent hangovers in the crowd more like it!

We are a strange bunch us Charlton fans. Been singing and shouting for JJ to be our Manager for weeks. He is now our Manager and comes out in his first home game as permanent Manager, to the most muted welcome you could expect to hear. 

It's like we need some needle to motivate - Why isn't JJ our Manager. What is TS doing wrong. Whose the latest scapegoat in the first team ruining it. Bring back Roddy, why did we get rid of him, etc.
    I assumed it was more to do with most of CE Upper having hangovers. 
  • Shirt  pulling , crazy 
    40 seconds to take each corner late on
    play acting shit
    time wasting of the wankiest nature 
    weak officialdom
    Josh Davison
    Sponge footed weak willed lame too scared to shoot footballers
    sore throat from screaming and trying to control my Tourette’s with the shithousery of wankcum wankerers
    League One shitness forever
    papas used Johnny trophy

happy new year , fuck off 2022 roll on 2023

0% chance of promotion  

Read this in John Cooper Clarke's voice for some reason ...

Lol … me too now you’ve said it 
  • A naff afternoon which Charlton might have got a point or three from on another day.  Basically we're a "top half" team that would have had a small shout of a play off if we'd started the season with a proper manager.

I'm just left hoping that Josh can get over his unusual poor performance - may Covid affected?

After the game as we left the West Stand the guy in front of us tripped on some cables running across the exit. My wife managed to avoid him alright but tripped over the same cables and smashed her face on the pavement (and more importantly her expensive vari-focal glasses). The nearest floodlight illuminating the area was not working and there were a couple of traffic cones in the way which in reality only served to obscure the cables.

Lost my rag completely with some poor steward when he replaced the cones but then apologised profusely!

Treated very competently by the medical staff - but it did leave me thinking that football could perhaps be suspended temporarily so these sort people can be working in A and E departments.

Nothing to do with it really but I've just been hearing that people can stand at the Chelsea - Liverpool game for the first time for years. And there's me stupidly thinking that I'd been standing up at away games for the past twenty years! Why are safety issues the only thing that it is still completely acceptable to lie about these days. It's very Trumpesque.

The only good news is that my son has just had a positive PCR test result and I've woken up with an inkling of a sour throat. Hopefully, I've too have Covid. It's already got me out of visiting my wife's sister and I can probably "work from home" for a couple of weeks.
  • edited January 2022
    Not sure hangovers were the only reason for the obvious drop in attendees yesterday. I know seven people (all season ticket holders) who did not attend, including myself, and it was simply down to the current levels of Covid infections. I won't be going on Tuesday or next Saturday and won't be returning until the infection rates have dropped sharply. I know I am not alone in thinking this way.
    Are you vaccinated ?

As long as people who choose not to go, also allow others that want to continue to go, without calling for lockdowns or other restrictions then ok. Live and let live, and live and let risk dying.
    Personally I think drink driving is a viable comparison. There is a threshold at which the risk to others (including to non-Covid NHS provision) means there has to be a lockdown. That was clearly the case in 2020 and we may reach or have passed it again. Time will tell, but you can't say never just because we want to go to football.
  • Cloudworm said:
    Thé timewasting that goes unpunished nowadays is ruining football.

Pick up the ball for a throw-in or put the ball down for a corner then you should either take those set pieces or get booked - simple.

Stand by the ball for an opposition free kick 
    = booking - simple. 

Annoys me too. So does the hypocrisy around it. People love it when we do it, and we do it just as badly as other teams. Old Terry on commentary finds it hilarious. Also, the "it's part of the game" bullshit makes my piss boil....'game management'....fuck off.

However, it's not that simple to enforce the law as you mention. Players can take kicks from the wrong place quickly to try and get players booked. Every little free kick would be paced out and a line sprayed down. Would be tedious. 

Here's a novel idea, why don't players just behave in an honest fashion and not try and bend the rules to their own advantage all the time? "Actually ref, that came off me. Should be their throw". Instead they all have to be lying, cheating pricks. Oh but wait, it's part of the game.
    I agree with everything you say except that you could also say that if the referee judges that you have taken a free-kick from the wrong place then that also is a bookable offence.
    Also I personally hate seeing Charlton employ these tactics. I want to see us win but win honourably. Otherwise, what's the point?
    I'm so tired of it.
    I turned off MOTD last night without going to bed. I've never done that before.

Count yourself lucky, I’m normally asleep by match of the day these days!
  • We really do need to have a crack at Norwich as a statement of intent. 

Was looking forward to this game, but now if Stockley's out, I'm dreading it. We don't have the depth as seen yesterday.

With Stockley and Washington up front, I think it brings the midfield into the game much more, and we become more positive. I don't rate Leko or DJ, Lee is ridiculously overrated but despite wrong decisions and poor set-pieces, he at least does some important stuff, and can come up with the odd bit of class occasionally. But these three are completely ineffectual if we don't have the preferred starting two up front.

Lyle Taylor, anyone?
  • Just out of interest, anyone know who the sub goalkeeper was yesterday?

Someone posted up a team sheet that said Henderson but the papers today and the BBC site say Harness.