Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
    ozaddick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:
    We have turned a corner. We look organised and are competing. 

We should have had a clear penalty and hit the post in the second half. It's not as doomed as everybody is now going to make out ffs.
    Where was the clear penalty? If it was the handball the lad looked to have headed it from the floor from my seat
    I thought he had handballed it and so did everyone around me. He certainly leaned in to head it but the ball rolled off too quick for him to head it.
    Be keen to see a replay. Looked clear to me that it hit his head, but happy to be proven wrong.

Well, wouldn't be happy. But you get what I mean 
    Looked like he headed it on the telly. 
    Definitely a header. Had Clare kick him in the head, it would have been our free kick (pen) for dangerous play. 
  • ozaddick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

We should have had a clear penalty and hit the post in the second half. It's not as doomed as everybody is now going to make out ffs.
    Where was the clear penalty? If it was the handball the lad looked to have headed it from the floor from my seat
    I thought he had handballed it and so did everyone around me. He certainly leaned in to head it but the ball rolled off too quick for him to head it.
    Be keen to see a replay. Looked clear to me that it hit his head, but happy to be proven wrong.

Well, wouldn't be happy. But you get what I mean 
    Looked like he headed it on the telly. 
    Definitely a header. Looked like a handball in real time but on replay it was very clear he headed it while on the ground. Great bit of defending. 
  • mendonca said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Exactly - Obstruction. I don't think you're allowed to attempt a header from the floor while the ball is about to be struck on the grass.

I might be wrong though. 
    I don't see how that would be obstruction. We need Peter Gage!
  • Croydon said:
    Elliot Lee seems an odd scapegoat to me. He’s still
    involved in most of the good things we do. 
    Its not scapegoating to acknowledge that a player is having a poor run of games. 
    Only my second game this season but Lee is so clearly head and shoulders above any other player I find any singling out of him in the negative as totally bizarre. If we can't sign him and other quality to match it will be a poor state of affairs.

It was a bad result against a well organised Ainsworth team but can't fault the effort nor the ref really come to that. We had no answer to missing Stockley in personnel or tactics. I enjoyed Leko's effort and involvement. Maybe he didn't start for fitness reasons as others have said.

Nice to see some football. Glass half full here.
    He is head and shoulders above them ability wise, but what's he creating with that? Not done much with the ball since Burton, and has been well below his own standard at Shrewsbury, against Ipswich and again today.

I like him a lot, but he's not been playing well recently.
  • Davison needs a haircut and then go out on loan 
  • until TS puts his Hand in his pocket and buys decent players we will remain a mid table league one side, no depth whatsoever to our lightweight squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Sorry to disappoint but he did clearly head it.
  • Don't normally comment but infuriated by the constant shirt pulling and time wasting tactics of the chair boys who must surely be renamed the shirt pullers. That the referee, who normally officiated in the the national league dealt with it early on it would have been a different game. 
    That said, from what I have seen this season,  whatever the question the answer cannot be Davison. Yes he may have come through the academy but was definitely  not good enough.

David Stockdale was a total disgrace and contributed more than 5 minutes of time wasting on his own.

All that Jacko can do is write his report on the performance of unfit and incompetent officials and make sure that we can recruit somebody that will allow Davison to go out on loan or be sold.
  • First half was awful, we looked miles off the pace, JD was the whipping boy, nothing came off for him and he was rightly subbed at half time, just does t look up to the required standard at the moment, covid hangover?

2nd half a lot better, if we’d played like that in the 1st half we might have got something from the game.
  • Nowhere near handball. Watched it on replay about 3 times, clearly headed it.
  • Lets win the efl trophy
    F*** the Quarter Members' Cup or whatever you want to call it. Especially now that you have Full Members' youth teams in it.
  • ozaddick said:
    That was horrible. Even the coverage was crap. Why keep a feckin camera on a player off the  ball for so long when the game is being played on?? So slow, Were they from Wycombe to?

As for us we palyed right into WW hands. Sod all urgency. No real movement, sluggish all game. 
     Davidson had an absolute mare. Was leko returning from covid or injury, as he should of started. Putting Innis up top at the end highlights how much we miss Jayden. 

Utter bollocks.

Agree. Not worth 10 quid for the quality of the coverage. It's much better but there are strange camera issues as you say but mostly streaming isn't the same quality as normal TV.
  • Well that game has probably proved to anyone but the most optimistic fan that the play-offs are way out of reach this season. That was always going to be the case after our poor start to the season and the fact that this team could never consistently produce the sort of displays we saw against Plymouth and Ipswich at home.

You don't have to be a genius to work out that if you take either Stockley or Washington out of the team, our threat up front is considerably reduced. I like Davison, and hoped he would come good, but even I have to admit he was poor today. We desperately need a forward in the transfer window - I wonder if Steve Gallen can persuade LB to let us have Aneke back on loan?

Otherwise, we huffed and puffed but never looked like blowing the house down. Don't think anyone (apart from Davison) played that badly but there was just something missing today.

Finally, that ref was another hopeless case. The longer the game went on, the more Wycombe wasted time and he never once tried to hurry them up or book one of their players. We need to get out of this league asap just to get away from these referees.  

• Sponsored links:

• Can’t believe how down some people get. 

Was at the game - Two sides cancelled each other out for most of the game,  a draw would have been a fair result. 

WW were organised and defended well, Leko threatened to unlock them with his unpredictability. 

One that we didn’t want to lose, and didn’t deserve to lose, but not as bad as people are making out. 

Deffo need to replace Davison in the window. 
  • + Eighteen thousand at todays game...do these figures include TV subscribers?
  • Wycombe are not mugs, they have bounced between league one and the championship for a number of seasons getting plenty of experience whilst up there.
    Last season was Wycombe’s first ever campaign in the second tier of English football (not arguing with your wider point though).
  • Scoham said:
    That was a game that made it obvious this squad isn’t good enough. That’s not to say the season is over but we’ll need a very strong window and top two form for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. I’ve seen a lot worse, we were still better than we were under Adkins but we struggled to break down Wycombe when they defended deep and in numbers. It would have been a different game had we scored first, Wycombe would have had to push forward and we’d have been a threat with Washington running in behind and Leko running at them.

In November TS said we’ve “probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league“ - he needs to completely revaluate that view to ensure we make the right moves this month and in the summer.

Last season we had a big group of squad players and no best team. This season we’ve gone the other way, so many players are almost undroppable because of the poor alternatives. Souare, Watson and Morgan are only on the bench to make up the numbers. None of them are serious options to threaten Purrington, Dobson, Lee and Gilbey’s places. They aren’t going to come on and change the game. Same for Arter who can’t even make the 18.

Up front Davison is another in that group. He started the season well getting a few goals and showing he had improved, but he’s not kept that up and is back looking like a player who needs regular games at a lower level.

Felt Bustow and Inniss came on too late but it comes back to the above points. I expect the reason is much more to do with limited options on the bench than a manager who is unwilling to use subs.

Going to be interesting to see where we go from here - does JJ change the formation to make us less predictable? He could switch to a diamond to add another midfielder, but who would you want to pick as the fourth CM? Perhaps we’ll see a flat 4-4-2 with Gilbey or Lee as one of the wide midfielders. The team is pretty much picking itself, we need a good window to improve the overall quality of the squad and options from the bench.
    We can't go to a flat back 4 until Lavelle is fit.    It's a big call for Jackson changing the system but if he doesn't we are playing with a squad of about 15 as so many are either useless or of no use.

This group of players really do lack the combination of players that are both good enough and street smart.  Even our experienced pros don't seem very good at game management. 
  • Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

It was excellent defending. No penalty.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    That was a game that made it obvious this squad isn’t good enough. That’s not to say the season is over but we’ll need a very strong window and top two form for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. I’ve seen a lot worse, we were still better than we were under Adkins but we struggled to break down Wycombe when they defended deep and in numbers. It would have been a different game had we scored first, Wycombe would have had to push forward and we’d have been a threat with Washington running in behind and Leko running at them.

In November TS said we’ve “probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league“ - he needs to completely revaluate that view to ensure we make the right moves this month and in the summer.

Last season we had a big group of squad players and no best team. This season we’ve gone the other way, so many players are almost undroppable because of the poor alternatives. Souare, Watson and Morgan are only on the bench to make up the numbers. None of them are serious options to threaten Purrington, Dobson, Lee and Gilbey’s places. They aren’t going to come on and change the game. Same for Arter who can’t even make the 18.

Up front Davison is another in that group. He started the season well getting a few goals and showing he had improved, but he’s not kept that up and is back looking like a player who needs regular games at a lower level.

Felt Bustow and Inniss came on too late but it comes back to the above points. I expect the reason is much more to do with limited options on the bench than a manager who is unwilling to use subs.

Going to be interesting to see where we go from here - does JJ change the formation to make us less predictable? He could switch to a diamond to add another midfielder, but who would you want to pick as the fourth CM? Perhaps we’ll see a flat 4-4-2 with Gilbey or Lee as one of the wide midfielders. The team is pretty much picking itself, we need a good window to improve the overall quality of the squad and options from the bench.
    We can't go to a flat back 4 until Lavelle is fit.    It's a big call for Jackson changing the system but if he doesn't we are playing with a squad of about 15 as so many are either useless or of no use.

This group of players really do lack the combination of players that are both good enough and street smart.  Even our experienced pros don't seem very good at game management. 
    We might by gambling on Inniss.
  • Wycombe defended better so deserved the win. 

As we know we are still quite a way off from the days when clubs like Wycombe don’t do the double over us. 
  • Knew it was going to be one of those days..
    No buses into basingstoke so had to drive ie no beer. Valley Cafe not open so no brekkie. No Stockley and I know their a physical outfit. Had he played I am certain score would have been different. Onwards and upwards.
  • edited January 2022
    mendonca said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Exactly - Obstruction. I don't think you're allowed to attempt a header from the floor while the ball is about to be struck on the grass.

I might be wrong though.
    It takes about 30-40 minutes to read the laws of the game. Don't you think it'd be time well spent, considering the proportion of time you might spend watching the game?