Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
     I know we are short of strikers but I wish our midfield could be encouraged to shoot more rather than try and attempt a ‘Hollywood’ pass on the edge of the box. Every time they try that, a defender always seems to intercept. Today was a prime example.
     I remember Bobby Charlton saying that he was always told to shoot when he had the goal in his sights - and he didn’t do too badly.
  • Well it goes to prove that we need to lay out for at least one decent striker.
  • edited January 2022
    A draw would have been a fair result given that we hadn't played for a while unlike Wycombe, we looked tired at times and showed a lack of cohesion and ideas, unlike them who completely mugged off the totally incompetent ref, who could and should have booked a couple of their mob in the first 6 minutes, instead wagged his finger and told them not to be so naughty, they just had him over, they play non football, and rely on fouls and time wasting to get anywhere, and were allowed free reign to do as they pleased.
    We def missed Jayden, poor old Davison was nowhere all first half, we brightened up a bit second half with Leko, and Washington seemed to link up better with him, but we can't keep finding ourselves in this scenario every time either Stockley or Washington are out and need proper back up this month.
    A very forgetful afternoon and a shame as Jacko's first home game as permanent deserved  better..
  • MORE. STRIKERS.
  • So many of our attacking set pieces or throw-ins end up back to our goalie or just poorly delivered. We can't continue to be this wasteful. 

We also need 2 set piece takers. Preferably a leftie and rightie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can I just reiterate what I've said a few times before.

Leko is not a striker.

• I wish the one that hit the post had gone in.
    We are seven wins from safety.
  • If we started with Leko, and Davison wasn’t anywhere near the starting lineup, or indeed the bench, we would have won today - Davison is hopeless 
  • Wycombe were dogged and awkward opponents and physically they at least matched us - davison isn't good enough and the toothless frontline affected the midfield but it wasn't as bad as a lot are making out - i thought Lee tried and tried and tried and had a good game but dj was below par, and washington rusty / missing his foil - we have 75% of a promotion squad and a good base to work from but we must concentrate on offloading the dead wood and bring in the other 25% for next season now - can't see the play offs happening now this year. Davison, morgan, arter, kirk, watson and gunter all surplus to requirements and god knows where matthews has gone - maybe he has covid??Leko was good but crying out for another striker as we all know.   
  • Exactly - we were good second half as our players could pass the ball to Leko who was very springy today. He would either spin them or make it stick. 

I saw Matthews sitting next to Stockley in the West stand. No Kirk. 
  • edited January 2022
    People saying we lost any promotion chance under Adkins early season.  I think the four defeats in our last 6 league games have contributed some what. JJ now seems to get the same results from this poor squad that Adkins did. Let’s just see the season out, and give up any hope of anything, other than not going down. 

The fat lady has sung, season over unless we collapse into the relegation zone. 

Another false dawn……. 
  • edited January 2022
    McCleary and Lineker having a bit of fun from the shit deflection. 

• Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    Wycombe were dogged and awkward opponents and physically they at least matched us - davison isn't good enough and the toothless frontline affected the midfield but it wasn't as bad as a lot are making out - i thought Lee tried and tried and tried and had a good game but dj was below par, and washington rusty / missing his foil - we have 75% of a promotion squad and a good base to work from but we must concentrate on offloading the dead wood and bring in the other 25% for next season now - can't see the play offs happening now this year. Davison, morgan, arter, kirk, watson and gunter all surplus to requirements and god knows where matthews has gone - maybe he has covid??Leko was good but crying out for another striker as we all know.   
    Disagree that there's 75% of a promotion squad. We've got a side built mainly of career League One players, that's why we are where we are.

• Season over.
  • ct_addick said:
    Need a Vokes like forward to cover for Stockley…send Morgan and Davison out on loan…send Arter back 
     Vokes is probably a better striker than Stockely. This isn’t Fifa
  • Can imagine Gallen and co now in a briefing “we haven’t thought about a striker, shall we we try get one?”

You’d be laughed out of the boardroom for thinking that’s an original idea..
  • Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Wycombe were dogged and awkward opponents and physically they at least matched us - davison isn't good enough and the toothless frontline affected the midfield but it wasn't as bad as a lot are making out - i thought Lee tried and tried and tried and had a good game but dj was below par, and washington rusty / missing his foil - we have 75% of a promotion squad and a good base to work from but we must concentrate on offloading the dead wood and bring in the other 25% for next season now - can't see the play offs happening now this year. Davison, morgan, arter, kirk, watson and gunter all surplus to requirements and god knows where matthews has gone - maybe he has covid??Leko was good but crying out for another striker as we all know.   
    Disagree that there's 75% of a promotion squad. We've got a side built mainly of career League One players, that's why we are where we are.

I think if Stockley played today we would probably have won that - if we had our first choice team out for the other games we lost this month, then i think we probably would have won most of them - add another 4 or 5 players of the same quality as our best 13/14 and we will have a good chance  
  • Shithoused by the biggest set of shithousers I have seen in a long time. Fuck watching that nonsense every week.

We were ok imo and never really threatened (the goal aside obviously).

We looked rusty and the two week break hasn't done us any favours.

The glaring deficiency in the squad is a lack of options up front. Davison is nowhere near good enough to be starting games in league one. We need someone to replace Stockley when he isn't there. Have heard rumours that we are looking at some ex Wycombe bloke who moved to Middlesbrough in the close season - can't remember his name.

I'd also like Jackson to show us his Plan B. At some point 3-5-2 just isn't going to work, what will we do differently when that happens?

Play offs are gone. I hope we don't burn money on pointless loans, would rather save the money for the summer or look to invest with next seaso. In mind.
    Uche Ikpeazu fits this description. 26 year old, has played 20 times in the league for Boro, only scored twice. Scored 6 in 31 for Wycombe in the Championship last year.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/uche-ikpeazu/leistungsdaten/spieler/245765

He's bounced around a lot. Never really been prolific. Has largely played at higher levels the last 3-4 years though (Championship and Hearts in Scotland). 

If we were a side where goals came from everywhere, I'd be a lot more intrigued. But I think our regular midfield has like three goals between them, and then Purrington's four or whatever it is. Point being, we really on our forward for goals and I'm not sure Ikpeazu provides that. 6'3", decent athlete, but probably won't score many. 

But hey, it's January and everyone wants a forward so pickings will be slim for a side sitting in mid-table in League One. 
  • esseffect said:
    Can imagine Gallen and co now in a briefing “we haven’t thought about a striker, shall we we try get one?”

You’d be laughed out of the boardroom for thinking that’s an original idea..
    Well the transfer window is open & Celtic have already signed 2 players & Bolton (who are in our league & just below us) have just snapped up a striker. 

Just like in the summer I expect to be saying the same thing in 2 weeks time.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:

I think if Stockley played today we would probably have won that - if we had our first choice team out for the other games we lost this month, then i think we probably would have won most of them - add another 4 or 5 players of the same quality as our best 13/14 and we will have a good chance  
    Do you not think that other teams are also missing players due to Covid & injury. I doubt we are the only ones with players struggling with Covid - either just about to come down with it or just coming back from it. 

As for injuries- we are almost back to full compliment. I just don't think many teams went into the season with 3 strikers & no left back. 
  • edited January 2022
    My final say for tonight.

Once again we lost 1-0. As I keep saying, we dont have a defence problem but a goal scoring one. 

And as for "doing a golfie" - that's another game gone by where we let in the first goal & then dont come back to win. I reckon it's about once in 45 games now. Terrible terrible stat.