Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
    sammy391 said:
    Boring turgid game.
    we’re way too sloppy to get anything out of games, and way too wasteful too! 

Silly mistakes and silly fouls cost us the second ball often - and just nothing upfront when stockley isn’t around.

really don’t get the constant use of Leko - who drifts in and out of games- roll on CBT bring for again! 

January a huge time for us, but think it is way too late unfortunately 
    It is too late...we need 4 quality players. Teams keep rolling us over, often using players we let go in the past. Losing to pub clubs like Wycombe whose total support would  not fill one stand at the Valley is another new low. If things don't  improve I won't buy another season ticket . I will wait for a free one. 
    Certainly wouldn’t be that disrespectful regarding Wycombe - who have players we wish we could have! 

Mccleary/vokes/wheeler 

vs 

watson/arter/Gunter 

we left it too late to grind out a style of football, which has now become too obvious and plain

just hope we bring in players to bed in for next season, when the league is ideally less competitive, and we can crack on! 

Big clear out needed
  • What a load of tripe that was. Maybe expecting too much but being the losing team we did nothing.
  • edited January 2022
    Frustrating game. I don’t think we were terrible, but it’s the fourth time in recent weeks we haven’t been able to break down a team defending deep and in numbers. Shrewsbury, Morecambe (after we initially held and then surrendered the lead), Plymouth and now Wycombe. In three of those games, sloppy defending has cost us points. In three of those games we were missing Stockley. 

Nothing to panic about today, imo, I thought we were the better side overall, and Wycombe scored from their one clear chance whereas the post and and incredible last ditch tackle denied Leko at least an equalizer. 

Some work needed in January, which we all know, primarily players to offer attacking cover and options from the bench. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Someone has to have a word about the coverage…they keep focusing on a player and the game is continuing on…who do we contact to complain about that? 
    It just added to the frustration. 
  • Can’t argue with This. Feel like Lee has really dropped off  
    Absolutely bang on. The geezer on here moaning about the White Pele chant gets proven every game that goes on
  • Disappointing result for the Charlton Athletic Gentlemens Football Team.
  • Oh well, this season is now about the cups … very unusually for us! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022
    Im still trudging my way home from Madrid after watching a below par Charlton against a team of professional time wasters. Shame really as Wycombe are a good team but disappointing for the paying public (I wouldn’t want to watch Charlton wasting time all match). 
    Also disappointed on the telly coverage. Far to many action replays on nothing in particular, people when the match was going on. A bit like a Micky Most production. I’m sure the producer (?) was pissed. 
  • edited January 2022
    Although he did not play well today  I really rate McCleary shame he is 34 now
  • sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Boring turgid game.

Silly mistakes and silly fouls cost us the second ball often - and just nothing upfront when stockley isn’t around.

really don’t get the constant use of Leko - who drifts in and out of games- roll on CBT bring for again! 

It is too late...we need 4 quality players. Teams keep rolling us over, often using players we let go in the past. Losing to pub clubs like Wycombe whose total support would  not fill one stand at the Valley is another new low. If things don't  improve I won't buy another season ticket . I will wait for a free one. 
    Certainly wouldn’t be that disrespectful regarding Wycombe - who have players we wish we could have! 

Mccleary/vokes/wheeler 

vs 

watson/arter/Gunter 

we left it too late to grind out a style of football, which has now become too obvious and plain

just hope we bring in players to bed in for next season, when the league is ideally less competitive, and we can crack on! 

Big clear out needed
    You picked 3 names there that didn't feature today, 2 weren't even in the 18 so I'm not sure what your point is?
  • If you appoint a manager, you back the manager. Jacko has done well with a team that he inherited, Adkins did poorly with that same squad. There was much celebration from us and those within the club when we signed Stockley on a permanent but we failed to sign anyone to play with him and score goals within that partnership. Washington has done well but if that partnership is broken up for any reason we struggle, it's a failure of pre season recruitment and it's been obvious for a good while. Perhaps someone thought Ronnie Swartz would come good, nobody on here did. The season isn't over but it does look difficult now, we are very close to being a very good side but we need a goal scorer and we need him now.
  • Croydon said:
    mendonca said:
    We have turned a corner. We look organised and are competing. 

We should have had a clear penalty and hit the post in the second half. It's not as doomed as everybody is now going to make out ffs.
    Where was the clear penalty? If it was the handball the lad looked to have headed it from the floor from my seat
    I thought he had handballed it and so did everyone around me. He certainly leaned in to head it but the ball rolled off too quick for him to head it.
  • Need a Vokes like forward to cover for Stockley…send Morgan and Davison out on loan…send Arter back 
  • Sponsored links:

• We just have a bad midtable League One team. 

Davison is 22 now and performances dont show me anything that would indicate he deserves to stay beyond the summer. 
  • Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

We should have had a clear penalty and hit the post in the second half. It's not as doomed as everybody is now going to make out ffs.
    Where was the clear penalty? If it was the handball the lad looked to have headed it from the floor from my seat
    I thought he had handballed it and so did everyone around me. He certainly leaned in to head it but the ball rolled off too quick for him to head it.
    Be keen to see a replay. Looked clear to me that it hit his head, but happy to be proven wrong.

Well, wouldn't be happy. But you get what I mean 
  • Elliot Lee seems an odd scapegoat to me. He’s still
    involved in most of the good things we do. 
    Its not scapegoating to acknowledge that a player is having a poor run of games. 
  • sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Boring turgid game.

Mccleary/vokes/wheeler 

vs 

watson/arter/Gunter 

Big clear out needed
    Not having that. Wouldn't want Vokes near us because unless you put it on his feet or head then he offers nothing apart from kicking the shit out of players. McCleary is there best player so won't argue that.

Simple fact is whilst they won they had to grind it out as overall, we played overall better and deserved a draw. Stockley in the team and we would have won that. 
  • We need two strikers in. It is clear to everyone that we cannot compete well enough when either Washington or Stockley are out.
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Be keen to see a replay. Looked clear to me that it hit his head, but happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah don't get me wrong would be good to see a replay as I'm sure the heat of the moment doesn't help with rational thinking! 
  • Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

Looked like he headed it on the telly. 
  • edited January 2022
  • Airbo was at the game. Just taking in a game during the winter break. Nice to see lads must have liked their time with us.