Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    That was a game that made it obvious this squad isn’t good enough. That’s not to say the season is over but we’ll need a very strong window and top two form for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. I’ve seen a lot worse, we were still better than we were under Adkins but we struggled to break down Wycombe when they defended deep and in numbers. It would have been a different game had we scored first, Wycombe would have had to push forward and we’d have been a threat with Washington running in behind and Leko running at them.

In November TS said we’ve “probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league“ - he needs to completely revaluate that view to ensure we make the right moves this month and in the summer.

Last season we had a big group of squad players and no best team. This season we’ve gone the other way, so many players are almost undroppable because of the poor alternatives. Souare, Watson and Morgan are only on the bench to make up the numbers. None of them are serious options to threaten Purrington, Dobson, Lee and Gilbey’s places. They aren’t going to come on and change the game. Same for Arter who can’t even make the 18.

Up front Davison is another in that group. He started the season well getting a few goals and showing he had improved, but he’s not kept that up and is back looking like a player who needs regular games at a lower level.

Felt Bustow and Inniss came on too late but it comes back to the above points. I expect the reason is much more to do with limited options on the bench than a manager who is unwilling to use subs.

Going to be interesting to see where we go from here - does JJ change the formation to make us less predictable? He could switch to a diamond to add another midfielder, but who would you want to pick as the fourth CM? Perhaps we’ll see a flat 4-4-2 with Gilbey or Lee as one of the wide midfielders. The team is pretty much picking itself, we need a good window to improve the overall quality of the squad and options from the bench.
    We can't go to a flat back 4 until Lavelle is fit.    It's a big call for Jackson changing the system but if he doesn't we are playing with a squad of about 15 as so many are either useless or of no use.

This group of players really do lack the combination of players that are both good enough and street smart.  Even our experienced pros don't seem very good at game management. 
    We might by gambling on Inniss.
    That would be a big gamble. 
  • + Eighteen thousand at todays game...do these figures include TV subscribers?
    That's laughable.
  • Happy New year to all Charlton fans, JJ and TS.

if I’ve said this once, I’ve said this many times.
    we need a proper Striker/ Centre Forward.
    especially when JS is out, but even when he’s is back we still miss so many chances as we have no killer punch up front !!

This team will end up top 12 otherwise 👎👎
  • God I just want this season to be over and start fresh in the Summer.

Glad I don’t have to come back for a while, which is a shame. 
  • Cheers for clarifying people ref the header/handball thing. As I say real time it certainly looked like a handball but that's the joys of a replay! 
  • no matter who is up front we need a midfield that produces chances and a few goals. At the moment we do not seem to have that.
    Purrington: tries hard, scores the occasional goal and worthy of his position but no other player to take his place
    Lee: runs around a lot, looks pretty, poor dead ball but what does he actually produce
    Dobson: good defender and the occasional foray forward, got it wrong today but usually good
    Gilbey: provides good forward runs without many end products and often his shots are blocked
    DJ: little end product except floated centres to their defence
    Leko: Unpredictable tends to be selfish but worth it

Lee and Gilbey must improve their final passes, shooting and in Lee's case dead ball provision, they get as far as the penalty area and then the attack breaks down.
  • Wycombe were just a real shithouse of a team that had no intention of playing football and as soon as they realised what a soft touch the ref was, the game was as good as over. Stockdale should be embarrassed to have anything other that "Cheating c**t" on his CV. If we went about our business of playing like that to win, I for one would be finding something else to do on my weekends. It's not sour grapes, as I'm well used to seeing us lose, but I pay my money to watch football, not to see them cheating, feigning injury and blatant time wasting.

As for us, Davisson doesn't look like he could do a job for the dog & duck reserves, absolutely clueless and I'll be shocked if he ever gets higher than conference level when he hits his peak (and he's certainly not at that level now). Things only started to happen once Leko replaced him. Lee looked shit, but we can just put that down to an off day, same to a lesser extent for DJ & Gilbey. All in all, not a good day.
  • Sponsored links:

• West2003 said:
    Wycombe are not mugs, they have bounced between league one and the championship for a number of seasons getting plenty of experience whilst up there.
    Last season was Wycombe’s first ever campaign in the second tier of English football (not arguing with your wider point though).
    They were 8th at the time when the season was ended and decided on points per game, which got them into the play offs.
  • edited January 2022
    Stockley playing today wouldve been a totally different game,their 2 centre halves had an easy ride until Innis came on. Got to use the january window and the rest of the season now to rebuild ready for next season. As for wycombes antics,thats been covered,what an awful side,they took the piss all game out of the non league ref and he did nothing about it. What was their number 2s problem? Loved it when the ball boy tackled him as he was timewasting over a throw in and then the warming up Innis stepped in and 'handed' the ball back,i could hear his arsehole flapping from where i was sitting😂
  • That game tells us one major thing ; that we definitely need another striker who is a good striker (not a has-been nor a youngster who has No record of scoring goals nor even a proven striker who is very injured and who will take forever to get fit.) Because we lost that game in the first half with just one striker (bless him Josh Davison is no replacement for any other striker we have). Leko who is not a striker changed the game completely and we probably deserved a draw from that game. I thought that most players were below par and that was probably because no one knew where the goal or two goals were going to come from and that affects how you play. I think Josh Davison needs to go out on loan in January for the rest of the season and learn how to pass his man and shoot. Although there were periods where we played well the passing was below par. I thought George Dobson was one of our best players and the irony Of their winger passing him to assist their goal was not lost on me. The second half I thought we played well and if Stockley is back for the next game (league game or better still next Sunday against Norwich) then we can expect a different outcome and performance. 

• Before today thought the play offs were a long shot but was hoping to see a good game that hopefully we win. In the end it was a poor game and Wycombe sneaked in front and used every trick to keep it that way. It was not pretty but it was effective.
    Felt sorry for Davison, he could not do anything right. 
    Not a good start to the year and another season in the third tier beckons which in January is totally unacceptable. Still if Adkins was still running the show we would be cut adrift at the foot of the table. Silver linings....

• edited January 2022
    We’ve only got one upfront partnership and that’s Stockley/Washington. When that not available we have no end product. That’s the single thing that needs to be fixed. 
  • Totally wasted the first 45 mins, then put in a performance for the second half - chasing the clock. 
    Reminded me of all those shitty Adkins games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022
    Really boring game, with very little in the way of exciting action. 

We looked very mid-lower table and absolutely powder-puff offensively. 

Wycombe were physically strong when they needed to be and should be at least in the play-offs at the end of the season. 
  • cafctom said:
    Wasn’t great was it?

There was something about the overall afternoon that just didn’t feel right. 

General feel of malaise in the players (both sides), the fans not really seeming that up for it, and a ref who didn’t seem that bothered to knock a few heads together even when confronted with clear time wasting. 

You know that feeling in the week after Xmas where you lose track and feeling of what day it is and the routine you should have? That game seemed to be tinged with a bit of that.
    The saving grace is in the normal scheme of things it was our turn to have a shit Christmas period and we were smart enough to only play one game. 
  • One man team. No Stockley no win!

As others have said already, at least one new striker has to be top of the list for January to provide cover and competition for Stockley with ideally a second one also so we have good cover for Washington.
  • 1968CAFC said:
    Happy New year to all Charlton fans, JJ and TS.

if I’ve said this once, I’ve said this many times.
    we need a proper Striker/ Centre Forward.
    especially when JS is out, but even when he’s is back we still miss so many chances as we have no killer punch up front !!

This team will end up top 12 otherwise 👎👎
    Exactly & I've been saying it for ages too.

And 12th might be a push as well  !!!
  • simple answer to the continual time wasting - stop the bloody clock every time the ball goes out or a player feigns cramp on 72 minutes !!! - maybe that changes the 45 mins per half to 35 or something but it's so tedious 
  • Cloudworm said:
    mendonca said:
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:
    We have turned a corner. We look organised and are competing. 

We should have had a clear penalty and hit the post in the second half. It's not as doomed as everybody is now going to make out ffs.
    Where was the clear penalty? If it was the handball the lad looked to have headed it from the floor from my seat
    Exactly. I don't think you're allowed to attempt a header from the floor while the ball is about to be struck on the grass.

I might be wrong though.
    It takes about 30-40 minutes to read the laws of the game. Don't you think it'd be time well spent, considering the proportion of time you might spend watching the game?
    That's a good point. But I still need to see a replay to see whether my emotion of wanting a penalty was justified with the rules. The ref was awful.

LOTG explains and defines dangerous play in their Guidelines and Interpretations:

“Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself).  It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.  A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that, in the opinion of the referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent.
    Playing in a dangerous manner involves no physical contact between the players. If there is physical contact, the action becomes an offence punishable with a direct free kick or penalty kick. In the case of physical contact, the referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also been committed.
    Disciplinary sanctions
    • If a player plays in a dangerous manner in a “normal” challenge, the referee should not take any disciplinary action. If the action is made with obvious risk of injury, the referee should caution the player
    • If a player denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity by playing in a dangerous manner, the referee should send off the player”
  • Not going to say too much as it's all been said already, but if anyone truly believes that we can get top 6 then they are more  delusional than Norwich fans thinking they can survive relegation. 

I take no pride in saying that the chickens that were our summer transfer policy are fast coming home to roost. Even with the winter transfer window now open can't save our season. We are once again closer to the relegation places than top 6 and when teams below us play their games in hand expect us to be even closer. Not saying that we will go down but when you've already played half a season & teams like Burton & Accrington are above you then you know you're having a bad season. 

I'm going to be very interested in this transfer window as it will show Sandgaards intentions. 
  • edited January 2022
    It seems like opposition teams have decided the best way to play against us is to sit back and invite pressure, and stopping the space for Gilbey, Lee and Washington to run into.

When we don’t have Stockley playing it become too easy to defend from set pieces and crosses. Leko isn’t clinical enough to play up top.

Personally, I think a goal scorer midfield is almost as important as another striker. Overall, not surprising what we witnessed today. Need to beat Crewe to turn around our poor away form 
  • Not going to say too much as it's all been said already, but if anyone truly believes that we can get top 6 then they are more  delusional than Norwich fans thinking they can survive relegation. 

I take no pride in saying that the chickens that were our summer transfer policy are fast coming home to roost. Even with the winter transfer window now open can't save our season. We are once again closer to the relegation places than top 6 and when teams below us play their games in hand expect us to be even closer. Not saying that we will go down but when you've already played half a season & teams like Burton & Accrington are above you then you know you're having a bad season. 

I'm going to be very interested in this transfer window as it will show Sandgaards intentions. 
    Don’t think anyone thinks we’ll make top six now.
  • Innis brought some good spice to the game. Making their player hurry up with their throwin firstly. Then coming on up top and threatening at set pieces aswell as closing down was good to see! 

He's be a nailed starter in the next few games. Lets hope he stays fit and commands.