Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Wycombe Wanderers | Saturday 1st Jan 2022

Comments

• edited January 2022
  • Every single period of momentum mustered by Charlton was broken down by Wycombe feigning injury. 

It is so frustrating.  I realize there is pressure on teams to win, but this sort of football drives spectators away in their droves.

Is this something for CAST to get involved with? 
    You don’t see this level of time wasting in the Premier League or even the Championship (I think?), but so many games in League One go this way when a team goes a goal up away from home. I know we do it as well, but I’d still be happy for refs to be instructed to stamp it out. 
  • We are spirited, a million miles from where we were under Adkins. They are all trying, arguably sometimes too hard (Famewo can over do the dribbling, Dobbie can over do the forward chasing), but this team is more like what we should have been witnessing all season. Clearly short of a striker and could do with an alternative option to Lee, just to take the weight of expectation off his shoulders. He is a League One/lower end Championship player, we have let our hopes run away with themselves - it ain’t his fault…

Overall, think we just need to get back to winning ways, think we will over the next few games and build a settled team and strategy for winning games to take straight into next season. Play offs look beyond us now. If we have won just a couple more of our last 6 games, could have been different…
    Unfortunately you could have said exactly that same thing towards the end of last season. 
  • ozaddick said:
    That was horrible. Even the coverage was crap. Why keep a feckin camera on a player off the  ball for so long when the game is being played on?? So slow, Were they from Wycombe to?

Ive said this all season, the camera/direction at home games is woeful, its obviosly someone who fancies himself at direction but the reality is they dont have a clue......its incredible that they havent managed to miss a goal yet. 

As for the game...meh against meh cynical opposition. 

A dour game with very little standout performances....I dont think that was Davison's worst game but he certainly seems to have gone backwards after impressing under Adkins.....one of a few who really need to go out and learn their trade in League two or the Conference like Grant did.

A centre forward, a centre back, a right wing back and a decent back up for Purrington...so at least four incoming required. Otherwise just sit this season out and rebuild yet again in the summer.
  • Is it just me?

Those long winded mid match announcements re reporting transgressions, or smoking in the toilets, are just so teeth itchingly, irksomely, irritating. 

These issues can be dealt with before and after the game or during half time - plus by email and text. 

Yesterday's game was definitely in need of a spark of some sort and it was not aided by the man who likes the sound of his own voice, droning on about naughty boys in the toilets.  :#
    Pretty much all announcements are pointless as the sound is so bad they can't be understood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Twitter had it summed up…

Loved the response that Specsavers made to this tweet, "Hope it didn't hit a fan"!
    Rotary or Tower?
  • BFG94 said:
     I know we are short of strikers but I wish our midfield could be encouraged to shoot more rather than try and attempt a ‘Hollywood’ pass on the edge of the box. Every time they try that, a defender always seems to intercept. Today was a prime example.
     I remember Bobby Charlton saying that he was always told to shoot when he had the goal in his sights - and he didn’t do too badly.
    Absolutely on the nail,it was obvious we were not going to get anything in their box,either in the air or on the ground.I lost count of the times we had the ball 20 yards out and went sideways .and then watched a harmless cross come to nothing.We had at last 6 chances to have a go,none were taken,The balls these days are very light and fly at great pace,why do players not take advantage of this.
  • Playing the way we did, without Stockley, was a total waste of time.
    63% possession and only a couple of attempts on target, says it all.
    Needed to sit back, and hit them on the counter instead, when we could make use of Washington and Leko's pace, and Lee's ability to pick a pass.
    Gilbey's great runs were constantly crowded out and DJ was clueless with regards to beating his fullback, aimlessly lobbing balls into the box, to no one.
    We made it easy for them !

• Cloudworm said:
    Thé timewasting that goes unpunished nowadays is ruining football.

Pick up the ball for a throw-in or put the ball down for a corner then you should either take those set pieces or get booked - simple.

Stand by the ball for an opposition free kick 
    = booking - simple. 

Annoys me too. So does the hypocrisy around it. People love it when we do it, and we do it just as badly as other teams. Old Terry on commentary finds it hilarious. Also, the "it's part of the game" bullshit makes my piss boil....'game management'....fuck off.

However, it's not that simple to enforce the law as you mention. Players can take kicks from the wrong place quickly to try and get players booked. Every little free kick would be paced out and a line sprayed down. Would be tedious. 

Here's a novel idea, why don't players just behave in an honest fashion and not try and bend the rules to their own advantage all the time? "Actually ref, that came off me. Should be their throw". Instead they all have to be lying, cheating pricks. Oh but wait, it's part of the game.
    I agree with everything you say except that you could also say that if the referee judges that you have taken a free-kick from the wrong place then that also is a bookable offence.
    Also I personally hate seeing Charlton employ these tactics. I want to see us win but win honourably. Otherwise, what's the point?
    I'm so tired of it.
    I turned off MOTD last night without going to bed. I've never done that before.

• edited January 2022
    When I saw Stockley wasn't playing I was worried. The reason being is that teams have sussed us out and the major issue is offensively. What you can't do against us is go toe to toe in a open game, but if you crowd the box with defenders and break when you can we have difficulties even with Stockley, but without him we are in trouble. It isn't Washington that is the problem but Davison is not quite what we need.

The positive is that I would imagine it is pretty clear how to address it whereas early in the season there was so much wrong that it was anybody's guess. I though sticking Innis on at the end was an acknowledgement of this issue but it was too late. There is no point delivering the ball into the box when you don't win it in the air and get crowded out by defenders.  

What I would add is that we are getting beaten by inferior teams but they are better at nullifying than the weaker teams in the league. Wycombe did their job well but it was the job of a team that new it wasn't a good as us and a couple of offensive signings will prove it. Do that and I think we can go unbeaten, but will we do it?
  • We’ve been pony since the Plymouth game and 7 points from 6 games is miles away from where we need to be and nearer relegation form .
    of course we’re better than we were ffs that was probably the worse footballing period in our history with Adkins at the start of this season so hardly something to tug ourselves off about .
    So many sub standard players it’s doing my head in .
    We are an established league one team , disgraceful times and I still can’t see the light at the end of this tunnel of shitness 
    Ipswich?
    Ipswich was before the Plymouth game - Bit harsh to say we've been pony since that Plymouth game, seeing that yesterday was the only game we've played
  • Sponsored links:

• We’ve been pony since the Plymouth game and 7 points from 6 games is miles away from where we need to be and nearer relegation form .
    of course we’re better than we were ffs that was probably the worse footballing period in our history with Adkins at the start of this season so hardly something to tug ourselves off about .
    We are an established league one team , disgraceful times and I still can’t see the light at the end of this tunnel of shitness 
    Ipswich?
    Ipswich was before the Plymouth game - Bit harsh to say we've been pony since that Plymouth game, seeing that yesterday was the only game we've played
    I assumed he meant the Plymouth home game
  • Decent crowd (officially), how many actually there (roughly)?
  • Decent crowd (officially), how many actually there (roughly)?
    My guess is 14k or 15k. 
  • Season looks to be fading, as despite the recent amazing form, top 2 form is required every week for the rest of the season to get into a play-off spot and get up. 

Can't see Thomas spending much in January window. It's widely recognised as being difficult to prize away the best players and top prices are paid, whereas in the summer some will be out of contract etc. Also if players are in top form and attracting attention why would they leave a promotion seeking side (likely), and come to Charlton who seemingly have a slim chance of promotion. Also the quality needed will likely be at a top League One side or even championship side, so why would they come unless the money is too good to turn down.

As for Thomas he'll keep the money for the summer window, why spend a few extra miillion between now and June, when it could be spent in the summer. 
  • edited January 2022
    mendonca said:
    We only have 3 goals from Lee, Gilbey and Dobson this season. 

That's too low from your 3 CMs. It also shows the value of JFC (despite his flaws) as he can turn games like yesterday into a 1-1.
    Agree though Lee and Gilbey have goals in them - is it more about the style of play, formation and their roles within that? They don't get in many shooting positions, Stockley, Washington and Purrington tend to be our main goal threats. I don't think it's solved just by putting JFC in the team.
  • PWR.  Started quite well.  Thought we were the better side for most of the game.  Early on thought the first team to score would win and they scored against the run of play at the time.  Without Stockley and with the hapless Davison we had no reply.  Thought Leko made a big difference and Jacko should have bought Burstow on earlier.  Lee is much better in the centre - but I guess 'needs must'.  Since Jacko being made permamnet manager - performances have tailed off ... I think they we probably playing 110% for him to get the job and now that has happened...well.
    Ipswich? Losing Stockley for three games hurt us as did the Covid absentees at Plymouth. Certainly true that after conceding at Morecambe we haven’t looked the part on the road. I think we have plenty of decent players at this level but we don’t have the depth that has been claimed because a lot of the squad - Arter, Gunter, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Davison, for example - aren’t useful options. 

The risk has always been that the season fades away, which it could easily now. You could then see a fall-off in season ticket sales, which were inflated by positivity around the takeover. That’s why we need signings in January and momentum going into the summer. It’s not so much about income but credibility. Dumping more and more tickets won’t help if the product is weak.
    Can we really add the sort of quality we’re looking for in Jan though?  I think DJ is okay, but I’m not sure a year on, we’ve got a player to get us out of this league.  

I would say unless we’re bringing in top quality in Jan (hard to do for any club), there is a risk we’ll have squad fodder exactly this time next year.  

I take your point about bringing players in to excite/increase season ticket sales, but unless that’s someone who genuinely takes your breath away, I can’t see it being a genuine pull for people to pay money next year.

I just looked at the top scorer in League 2 as an example.  Some bloke called Dom Telford.  In theory you could say that sounds like a decent buy, but given the players we’ve bought in over the last few years, if we announced we’d signed him tomorrow, it’s not someone that would blow me away.

The season is done.  Yes, it could be bad tailing off and finishing where we are, but given the notoriously difficult Jan window, I think the money is better saved and used in the summer when we’ve cleared out the dead wood like the ones you mentioned above.  
  • Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    We only have 3 goals from Lee, Gilbey and Dobson this season. 

That's too low from your 3 CMs. It also shows the value of JFC (despite his flaws) as he can turn games like yesterday into a 1-1.
    Agree though Lee and Gilbey have goals in them - is it more about the style of play, formation and their roles within that? They don't get in many shooting positions, Stockley, Washington and Purrington tend to be our main goal threats. I don't think it's solved just by putting JFC in the team.
    Gilbey is a goal threat when he runs past the strikers.  Bring in a fully fit JFC would give you the option of playing Gilbey as the most advanced of the 3, like we did at the end of the season. Maybe not the best solution but an option we don't currently have.   That's probably the option Arter was ment to give.