Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th November 2021 @ 3pm

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    By far the worst performance of the Jacko era.

Limp, ragged and incoherent from the kick off.  It was inevitable that we would run out of steam sooner or later. It's not feasibe to keep up those levels of intensity all season but we were really off the pace against a very ordinary team. 

Despite the obvious deficiencies at the back I thought we were more clueless going forward and never looked like scoring.

Down to Jacko to prove his worth now.

Anyone can manage a winning side but now he has to restore confidence and bite to a beaten one.

My money is on a big bounce back after the Pointless Pizza-eating competion. 
  • Options
    Poor. Honest assessment is the squad isn’t strong enough. No point naming names as it is obvious, but there was 4/5 who played who aren’t good enough to be in a promotion challenging side. Hopefully, TS will accept that we will need to spend to improve in January. Will need a miracle to finish near top 6 come May. 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Jacko's billy big bollocks routine in the dressing room after the Plymouth game has backfired massively 😐
    Must admit I thought that was tempting fate at the time, but you can’t blame it on that, surely. 😳
    I think Jackson's great but it's a mistake to speak of the next opposition and then put the video on YouTube.

It's a perfect motivation tool for the teams he cited.
    Is it? I think far too much focus is being put on that video affecting outcomes. It's just Jackson saying well done to the players, motivating them and telling them to keep their levels up. He hasn't gone off one one about how our next opposition are pathetic and we'll walk all over them. I really doubt that Shrewsbury looked at that 2 minute video on Twitter and got fired up because the opposition manager praised his team after they won a match. The reality is we've got a team full of injuries that is starting to look tired because we play a high-energy pressing game and can't rotate as much as we'd like because the number of fit players for each position is too low. Not because Jackson said we had the quality to beat our opposition.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Lol, no thank you Clive. Once was enough!
  • Options
    Hopefully thats the last dressing room video we see, as interesting as it is, it makes us look very very silly when we don't win
  • Options
    They're fun but we have a habit of stitching ourselves up a tad don't we with public footage. At least everybody has had a go now from the Owner, Ex-Manager, Current Manager :-) 
  • Options
    Hopefully thats the last dressing room video we see, as interesting as it is, it makes us look very very silly when we don't win
    Found it interesting that 2 experienced TV Producers both lifelong Charlton supporters on Twitter both said this was a big mistake to put out 
  • Options
    Yet another match corrupted by a woefully inadequate official
    Tom Nield is the latest in a long long line of referees fucking up matches, this time handing a thoroughly undeserved 2 additional points to the doggedly agricultural home side.
    Charlton didn't deserve to win don't get me wrong and the defending at the critical moment was pitiful but Nield had already fucked things up.
    In reverse order: the obvious foul on Dobson in the build up, Nield had been giving them as fouls throughout the game - he didn't miss it, his view was unimpeded, he simply chose to transgress and grant Shrewsbury an advantage.
    Goalscorer Udoh had not long been booked for a crude assault on Gilbey.  Another example of Nield's wanton inconsistency.  Udoh's litany of foul play throughout the fixture had gone entirely unremarked by the so called official.  Had Udoh been subject to the same standard of sanction as Claire, Famewo and Soaré during the game, he should have got booked much earlier, from which he'd either exercise better restraint in challenges such as that dished out to Gilbs or that last one would have seen him dismissed.

The brickbats aimed Soarés way are probably fair enough, the scapegoating bullshit hurled Josh Davison's way is undeserved.
    Quite how Jonathon Leko justifies that "contribution" I'll never know, DJ was barely any better.

Let's hope that's the bad day at the office out of the way and that with one or two bodies returning to the squad, the Jacko era consistency can be found to hold form until January allows the addition of the quality defensive resources we so gravely lack.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Nobody is perfect - i prefer our manager to be a bit bullish and i doubt it has really affected the results - a bit of fatigue from giving it 150% for the last month and the loss of virtually all our 'RAF' finally caught up with us in these 2 away games more than anything in my opinion. Reserves out for Tuesday and Pearce and Stockley back in on Friday for some of the game at least should see us through and back up and running for next Tuesday, with a sharpened Leko available as well.     
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    “We’ll go to Morecambe and win , we’ll go to Shrewsbury and win “
    as soon as I heard Jacko say that in the changing room video it scared me …Morecambe and Shrewsbury play that clip to  their players and give them an extra push .

Of course we should win but when Charlton fans get punchy I get scared .
    1-1 and Sandgaard restarts his interviewing process 

Kind regards 
    The Grim Reaper 

• Options
    Pre Morecambe match comment .

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Still fuming about this today.

How on earth has he not given that?
    Up there with the worst decisions I've seen.

Ask 100 refs to review it and there's no way any of them would say it was a fair challenge.
    Keeper should have saved that though, not much power behind it and a stronger hand would have put that past the post.
  • Options
    It was a very weak bit of goalkeeping. An attempt at a strong wrist that went completely wrong. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It was a very weak bit of goalkeeping. An attempt at a strong wrist that went completely wrong. 
    I was surprised he didn’t save it because he’s shown he has a strong wrist/hand in recent matches by stopping much harder shots. Perhaps the fact that it was a grubber that came at him quickly meant it was harder to divert. Sure he’ll be disappointed though. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    mendonca said:
    I was surprised he didn’t save it because he’s shown he has a strong wrist/hand in recent matches by stopping much harder shots. Perhaps the fact that it was a grubber that came at him quickly meant it was harder to divert. Sure he’ll be disappointed though. 
    Absolutely. Yes he made a mistake there but he'll know it and hopefully get motivated to make up for it. Goalkeeping is always the position where you can draw the straightest connection between error and goal whereas defenders or midfielder mistakes can be saved by a colleague (often the goalkeeper.) 
  • Options

I really do hate the banter approach a lot of official football accounts have now. It's like real life football has become an online game of FIFA sometimes, digging back through any attempt by a team to show positivity ahead of a match and then throwing it in their faces when they don't win. 'Waaaaaay, you tried to motivate your players and fans and then you LOST. In a FOOTBALL MATCH. You bunch of donkeys. Waaayyyyyy!' It's just weird that this seems to be the default of official football channels now, every club account is basically run by @Footybanta or whatever.