Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th November 2021 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Nobody had a bad game but then nobody was great either. Lee tried today but his final pass was terrible. Gilbey only ran at the Shrewsbury backline once and got a great shot off but after that was anonymous. A lot of square balls and poor crosses. No urgency and seemed to be going thru the motions. I kept thinking we would give something up late and we did. Not sure this team has what it takes to get out of this division. 
  • Options
    Soare and Davidson were shocking, they can't be in the team again this season
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    That was brutal by Jacko towards Jayden  :D
    Any chance of a summary for those of us who don't have the stream?
    It was nothing. Just a throwaway comment from Jackson about Stockley getting back fit and ready to play after Minto quipped that Stockley was a decent 'pundit'. 
    It was more the tone of it. Jacko clearly had the hump over the result/performance, and while Minto was trying to end the interview on a lighter note, Jacko's reply was still grumpy!
    I'll give you that. 38% of effective communication when it comes to feelings and attitudes is conveyed through the tone in which the message is delivered; according to Albert Mehrabian's theory.  ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Just seen a comment from @Leeds_Addick saying the wingbacks don’t work against every team (won’t let me quote on mobile) - I don’t think that’s it today. With Purrington and Leko, the first choices, it works. CBT (RWB today) just isn’t good enough there and Souare (LWB) is a waste of space. 

quick word on their goal - if that’s given against us if we’d scored, we’d be fuming. It might be a foul but can see why the ref hasn’t given it, would have been pretty soft. 

Foul or not surely the keeper has got to be saving that.
  • Options
    Just seen a comment from @Leeds_Addick saying the wingbacks don’t work against every team (won’t let me quote on mobile) - I don’t think that’s it today. With Purrington and Leko, the first choices, it works. CBT (RWB today) just isn’t good enough there and Souare (LWB) is a waste of space. 

quick word on their goal - if that’s given against us if we’d scored, we’d be fuming. It might be a foul but can see why the ref hasn’t given it, would have been pretty soft. 

Foul or not surely the keeper has got to be saving that.
    Agree with that. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Unfortunately in this league you get results like that. It does mean that the "play off" dream is simply that a dream. Season is a write off. 
    Yeah, in Bowyer's promotion year, remember Rochdale away?
    We dropped to 13th.

Didn't stop us being promoted though.

Totally but do we honestly believe we have even a fraction of the team we did that season?
    I hope we can do it, but 9 defeats in 20 games might be a step too far. 

EDIT: We lost just 10 games that season...
    You neglect to mention that we finished 3rd with 88 points.
    Doncaster finished 6th with 73 points and they lost 13 games.
    We can achieve 73 points and only lose 4 more games. 
    https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/league-one/2018-19/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe but I felt it didn't really work against Morecambe either where we had DJ and Purrington there. We had so much possession but they just sat back and without Stockley our crosses were ineffective.

I actually thought CBT was our best player today and our best period of the game came when he was using his pace to get past their full back. Agreed about Souare - it's worth having him as backup to Purrington but a shame we weren't able to get better in the Summer.
  • Options
    A poor refereeing decision, but it happens. 

While we've missed Stockley, the real miss these last 2 games has been Pearce. Ugly away games against lower opposition are exactly the sort of games he's suited to. Organising the defence, heading the ball away, collapsing with a "Pearce injury" to break up play... If Pearce hadn't been injured, we'd have won at Morecambe and drawn today.
    Pearce isnt unknown for fouling & bringing down opposition strikers for a penalty. The old adage seems to be true.....you are a lot better when you are not in the side. At the start of the sesson everyone was saying that Pearce shouldn't have been kept on & it would be a disaster playing him. Now he seems to be (amongst many on here) the mainstay of our defence. 

Not for me. Much rather play Ellewere. All this "he's too young.....1 mistake & his career would be ruined" is total bollox imo. Last 2 games we've picked up a solitary point - and that was when we were 2-0 up. 

1. Elerewe 
    2. Pearce plays centrally or LCB.
    3. Pearce has actually stepped up and made sure he's counted. 
    4. Imagine what looms when Elerewe makes mistakes a couple of games running and the negativity brigade get their knives out.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

i agree - its not a blatant mistake by the ref - it is a reflection of the fact we have most of our aerial players out atm 
  • Options
    Only seen the Sky highlights but apart from the foul on Dobson our 27 Souaré just appears to be standing around. Not closing down the goalscorer. Surely from the comments from fans who went there it was a bad decision not to sub him earlier?
  • Options
    Only seen the Sky highlights but apart from the foul on Dobson our 27 Souaré just appears to be standing around. Not closing down the goalscorer. Surely from the comments from fans who went there it was a bad decision not to sub him earlier?
    Pretty much describes most of Souaré's play.
  • Options
    Souare and Arter, just a bloody repeat of signings like Watson and Gunter.

Am happy with the break now. Lets keep improving. 
  • Options
    What break?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Souare and Arter, just a bloody repeat of signings like Watson and Gunter.

Am happy with the break now. Lets keep improving. 
    Arter wasn't a necessary signing, I'm sure we only signed him because Adkins had written Dobson off. Hence he can't even make the 18

Not signing a left back all summer was baffling, especially when Purrington got injured in pre season. Souare always was a massive gamble
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    What break?
    I should have said our break until the next league game which is on the Tuesday 7th December. That's 10 days. 

We have an EFL and FA Cup game in between that date of course, but I know what my priority is this season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    What break?
    I should have said our break until the next league game which is on the Tuesday 7th December. That's 10 days. 

We have an EFL and FA Cup game in between that date of course, but I know what my priority is this season.

That's fair, these games have to be opportunities for fringe players to prove they're worth hanging onto.

If they're not, we need to consider listing them. 
  • Options
    If Adkins had been in charge today with that performance he would be getting shit abuse … today was poor we never looked up for the game .. lots of ball but done very little with it … wing back changes were questionable and affected us .. This is why you don’t give the job to a manager till you see how he reacts to a poor performance.. Ipswich at home is now JJ job application …. let’s see if the players are really behind him . Big plus will be Stockley and Pearce available we badly missed them this week with these two results would have been diff 
    Yes because of what went before with him.
    shit day huge slog driving up and back rain wind and snow! 
    Tomorrow will be a better day ! 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gutted. We never looked like scoring, but we never looked like conceding either. 

Some were desperate to see how we react to a loss, congratulations chaps you got the loss you seemingly wanted and now we all get to find out how we'll react.
    Never looked like conceding? They were a few centimetres from a goal within 5 mins and then big Craig has pulled off a worldy too.

Bad day at the office and we move on, but let's not rewrite history. 
    Why it's what we do, the same people will be asking why jacko got the job in the first place because we only got a point at man city in 2027.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    What break?

That's fair, these games have to be opportunities for fringe players to prove they're worth hanging onto.

If they're not, we need to consider listing them. 
    And for the first time under Jacko, a few members of the team no longer look undroppable.

The likes of Kirk, Arter and Morgan might still be fringe players, but two storming performances in the cup games, might give them a chance of starting against Ipswich/Cambridge.
  • Options
    Didn't deserve to lose that. Don't blame Jackson for it, we were always going to be weaker with Famewo as our only proper CB, Souare and CBT as wing backs and lacking Stockley. Whoever becomes our permanent manager isn't going to go unbeaten all season or win every game that's easy on paper.

It was the sort of game you need either a bit of real quality, a penalty or set piece to grind out a narrow win. Had Stockley and another CB or two been there we might have got that set piece goal. A fully fit Leko with Purrington on the other side might have created a better chance.

With the injuries, suspensions and some limited squad players we don't have enough quality ready to come in or change the game from the bench. Watson, Morgan and Kirk are unlikely to have improved us had they been brought on. The intensity we've been playing at as well as the long season means there are times we when we'll need to rotate. It means it's about finding a balance between playing our best team and keeping players fresh.

One gap in the squad rarely mentioned is the lack of CMs who can play with the energy and quality Dobson, Gilbey and Lee offer - Clare should offer the energy but for now he's needed at RCB.

Up front the need is obvious. I still think Davison has something about him but not as a target man and with more competition. At the moment he's playing by default rather than because he's really pushing for a place in the side.

Wasn't impressed by Souare though it's too early to write him off.

Still plenty to play for and a chance to improve the squad in January despite our start meaning making the playoffs will be very difficult. On January realistically we're going to struggle to move some of the squad players on to free up space. At the very least I hope we go into February with a better squad, make a few of the loans permanent in January (or early in the summer) and can get some contracts sorted before the season ends.
  • Options
    Without doubt the game was poor. And it was bloody freezing ! The fans once again showed a level of noise well above the home fans but probably as it was the best way to keep warm 😂
    We struggled to break down the defensive wall that Shrewsbury put up and although he tried hard Davison offered nothing I think I would prefer Mason ahead of him as he may offer something different. There were times when we were playing the ball across their area the fans were screaming for a shot as it was obvious there was no way through the area.
    Not getting too negative as all teams put in a performance like that now and again onwards and upwards. I'm interested to see what morgan, kirk etc put into the next couple of games as I'm sure they will start  defining moment for them both imo
  • Options

Shout outs to Elliot Lee, Sean Clare and Alex Gilbey especially today. 

It's interesting because I thought those 3 were poor today. Gilbey and Clare with their passing especially.

Maybe that's just compared to how good they've been recently though.