Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th November 2021 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    We've not had the best of luck with referees turning a blind eye to fouls costing us goals, both today and at Morecambe.

Yeah, its not like Washington didnt give the Rotherham defender a shove when he scored his goal a few weeks back. 

Shit happens. Decisions go for & against you. If we were 2-0 up at that stage it wouldnt have mattered. 

I don't mind being called out now & again but I'll say what I've said since the start of the season.  We are not good enough for top 6 - under Adkins, Jackson or whoever else. Will be lucky to finish between 10th & 12th. Top half could be doable but anyone thinking we are going to go on a run like Blackpool, Oxford blah blah blah need their lumps felt. We are not strong enough & don't have the firepower, either up front or in midfield for us to win games comfortably. 

We are currently 6 points from relegation and 11 from top 6, with many teams having 1 or even 2 games on us. A good run should see us secure in the top half, a bad run could see us in the relegation pack again. 

We need at least one decent striker in January  preferably 2. We really only have Stockley & Washington and it has shown what happens when the poorer of the 2 is out for just 3 games. God forbid one gets a lengthy injury. We are also carrying too many players who arent getting games or looking like getting games......Watson, Morgan, Arter are but 3. Arter we might be able to cut short, Morgan we might be able to send out on loan & Watson...? I'd pay his contract up if that can count as being off the books for squad numbers. 

And that is just so we can stay up. Another squad rebuild will have to be done in the summer because this season is over as to promotion hopes.

Well, that's your normal worst case scenario, Golfie.

No one knows how the season will pan out ..... and we don't even know what our squad will look like at the end of January.
    Myself, I'm happy to wait and see how the season unfolds.

That's what a football season is all about really.

I agree......but working on what has happened in previous transfer windows under TS's tenure I would say not much is likely to happen. Certainly not on Jan 2nd & if I was a betting man I'd say a couple of loanees on deadline day. Not enough & not soon enough. But then I pointed this out in the summer & got shotdown for saying it.... 

Although in fairness to the rest of CL I did start whinging on the 22nd June 2 months before the transfer window closed, so in truth had no idea what was going to happen over the following 8 weeks.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4349547#Comment_4349547

• Options
    They say decisions even themselves out over a season,well I know we see things from a Charlton perspective,but this is getting stupid.3 crap decisions at Morecombe,and an even more blatant one today,yes Washington might have got away with one against Rorherham,but I really do think ref wise we are poxed.Are referees at this level full or part time,recent decisions,are the result of either not seeing the incidents(in which case why not) or seeing them and not giving free kicks.Surely the club has a right to show the videos to the FA and ask what is going on.
    The refs will never be able to see everything. There will always be incidents in which their view is blocked by other players or down the other end after a quick break, or off the ball incidents where they were looking the other way. 
  • Options
    I know Leiko had to come on to get some match practice but we did seem overloaded on the right wing with leiko and DJ. But there was no centre forward other than CW even if they managed to cross the ball. Nevertheless, we played on the front foot in the awful conditions against a team hoping for that lucky break. It wasn’t to be. Stockley would have made a big difference over the past 2 matches and I’m sure he’s chomping at the bit to play in the forthcoming matches. It did highlight the need for a decent back up as others have already pointed out. And Bravo to our followers. 
  • Options
    I expect us to pick up plenty of points, but miss the playoffs, as there are SO many good teams in this division. The standard is crazily high this season

You look at the top 6, and all look decent sides - Rotherham, Wigan, Wycombe, Plymouth, Sunderland, MKD

But even if a couple slip up, there are also the likes of Wednesday, Oxford, Pompey just outside the playoffs and all on really good runs

Plus Ipswich
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    clive said:
    Should be done for trades description violations that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please, please, please no more shite from Palace.  Gallens friendship with Dougie has seen us pick up the hapless Souare, the perennially injured Innis and Williams and the garbage Watson and Kaikai. Enough already.
    But this is how Gallen has had to work before Thomas rocked up.  Contacts and contracts that's his MO.  It's not just Palace.

Even the summer window we were in the championship a lot of our signings were from Gallens mates doing us a favour.  I suspect that some others were us doing an agent/player a favour as well.  Even DJ was signed on a nod and a wink.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Please, please, please no more shite from Palace.  Gallens friendship with Dougie has seen us pick up the hapless Souare, the perennially injured Innis and Williams and the garbage Watson and Kaikai. Enough already.
    But this is how Gallen has had to work before Thomas rocked up.  Contacts and contracts that's his MO.  It's not just Palace.

Even the summer window we were in the championship a lot of our signings were from Gallens mates doing us a favour.  I suspect that some others were us doing an agent/player a favour as well.  Even DJ was signed on a nod and a wink.
    Not sure if it's still the case, but last season it seemed 90% of our signings had the same agent: Jon Fortune.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I'd be fuming if that foul was given against us. I think it's too easy to just focus on that decision rather than admit we were really really poor. 

Throwing away a 2 nil lead mid week and losing in injury time a few days later, both against relegation fodder, just isn't good enough.
    You'd be fuming if the ref gave a foul for flattening a player by charging in to him from behind with the arm leading?

There are many things in football which are a matter of opinion. That is not one of them.
    Take your Charlton specs off for a second mate. Pundits watching the game were unsure, 'seen them given' was their response. Half the comments online from us make it sound like it was an assault. 

I don't think it was anywhere near as blatant as some are making out, and it's far too easy to focus on that decision as the reason we lost. 
    And really Mac should have saved it.
    And Soare should been marking the goalscorer. Shit goal all round. 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Jacko's billy big bollocks routine in the dressing room after the Plymouth game has backfired massively 😐
    Must admit I thought that was tempting fate at the time, but you can’t blame it on that, surely. 😳
    I think Jackson's great but it's a mistake to speak of the next opposition and then put the video on YouTube.

It's a perfect motivation tool for the teams he cited.
  • Options
    Just starting to feel my feet again. Thought we looked tired again at times and Shrewsbury sat back and we couldn't unlocked them. Pape spare I don't want to see again. Didn't see the dobson incident but now seen it back, how has the referee missed that, then again he missed alot. I'm not sure what Davison offers. This was a game for Stockley. 
    If you've got a spare then do a swapsie. Being such a rarity you might even get a badge.
  • Options
    They say decisions even themselves out over a season,well I know we see things from a Charlton perspective,but this is getting stupid.3 crap decisions at Morecombe,and an even more blatant one today,yes Washington might have got away with one against Rorherham,but I really do think ref wise we are poxed.Are referees at this level full or part time,recent decisions,are the result of either not seeing the incidents(in which case why not) or seeing them and not giving free kicks.Surely the club has a right to show the videos to the FA and ask what is going on.
    Is it not just home bias? We got the Rotherham decision as we were the home team, in the away games the decisions went against us.
    I dont know,but if we go back to the championship season,Aneke had a goal chalked off when he was clearly onside,and JFC was denied a blatant penalty against I think reading,both home games,but the foul on Dobson yesterday was just so obvious,he was slammed in the back,the oppo player no where near the ball,I really am getting a persecution complex.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I know Leiko had to come on to get some match practice but we did seem overloaded on the right wing with leiko and DJ. But there was no centre forward other than CW even if they managed to cross the ball. Nevertheless, we played on the front foot in the awful conditions against a team hoping for that lucky break. It wasn’t to be. Stockley would have made a big difference over the past 2 matches and I’m sure he’s chomping at the bit to play in the forthcoming matches. It did highlight the need for a decent back up as others have already pointed out. And Bravo to our followers. 
    Stockley has been the biggest miss,certainly in attack,but even moreso in defence,I dont think the Morecombe equaliser would have happened,and possibly with a more dominant presence yesterday,we could well have cleared the ball.Hats off to the travellers,that seemed like a nightmare journey ,some not even getting there and coming home.
  • Options
    Looked 0-0 all the way regardless of all of our possession. Ref and assistant just did not do their jobs properly in stoppage time and it cost us the point we very much deserved. Was really frustrating, but we have a couple of cup games to get back to scoring ways in while providing time for at least one of our CBs to return to fitness. On we go…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another strange this yesterday was the Police presence. My god it looked like a Millwall v West Ham game. Dozens of police, on foot, horses, motor bikes , vans and cars. Asked directions to station and officer had no idea, said been brought in from outside especially for this game… ?????
    I also thought this, never encountered so many police on route to and from the stadium for a league one game. 

Couple of unmarked cars full of them as well, the match commander got let out at the Brooklands car park to have a look around with police recording on the roundabout. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I'd be fuming if that foul was given against us. I think it's too easy to just focus on that decision rather than admit we were really really poor. 

Throwing away a 2 nil lead mid week and losing in injury time a few days later, both against relegation fodder, just isn't good enough.
    You'd be fuming if the ref gave a foul for flattening a player by charging in to him from behind with the arm leading?

There are many things in football which are a matter of opinion. That is not one of them.
    Take your Charlton specs off for a second mate. Pundits watching the game were unsure, 'seen them given' was their response. Half the comments online from us make it sound like it was an assault. 

I don't think it was anywhere near as blatant as some are making out, and it's far too easy to focus on that decision as the reason we lost. 
    Yeah sorry, I'll take my Charlton specs off and look at it objectively.

Yep, it's still a blatant foul. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    This defeat has got to me a bit.

Sense of injustice about the winner, (although without the injuries I suspect Pearce, Lavelle and/or Inniss would have dealt with that ball).
    Disappointment that JJ’s unbeaten run is over. 
    Sinking feeling now that the the momentum has gone.

Time to get the winning habit back by taking the upcoming cup games reasonably seriously, which I think Jackson will.
  • Options
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Jacko's billy big bollocks routine in the dressing room after the Plymouth game has backfired massively 😐
    Must admit I thought that was tempting fate at the time, but you can’t blame it on that, surely. 😳
    I think Jackson's great but it's a mistake to speak of the next opposition and then put the video on YouTube.

It's a perfect motivation tool for the teams he cited.
    What is said in the dressing room, stays in the dressing room. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    This defeat has got to me a bit.

Sense of injustice about the winner, (although without the injuries I suspect Pearce, Lavelle and/or Inniss would have dealt with that ball).
    Disappointment that JJ’s unbeaten run is over. 
    Sinking feeling now that the the momentum has gone.

Time to get the winning habit back by taking the upcoming cup games reasonably seriously, which I think Jackson will.
    Even without the goal, it would have been hard to take that much from what was a pretty dismal 0-0, other the fact we didn't lose

With 3 points for a win, I always feel more gutted if we let in a late equaliser anyway, losing 2 points instead of 1
  • Options
    Another strange this yesterday was the Police presence. My god it looked like a Millwall v West Ham game. Dozens of police, on foot, horses, motor bikes , vans and cars. Asked directions to station and officer had no idea, said been brought in from outside especially for this game… ?????
    Elfsborg has started going to away games again.
    The police are taking no chances. 

• Options
    Utter guff and I fear we’re consigned to wankness and third tier mediocrity for a while to come .
    1 point from them two games against utter junk .

0%    Top 2
    10% Play offs 
    65%      7th-12th
    25%  13th-20th