Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th November 2021 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Sloppy. 
    I thought we’d kicked the habit - but obvs not. 
    So many balls in the box again, but when Stockers is back we will probably stop doing the crosses. 
    Gilbey couldn’t pass the salt and pepper let alone the ball. 
    Lee good again, and Fam too. 
  • Options
    defensive frailties cost us points at Morecambe and Shrewsbury .. JJ did his best to cover for the many defensive absences in these games, I don't think he got his selections right .. he'll learn .. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Awful reffing and not too much better on the goalkeeping front at a vital moment. It was a risk to parry out a low shot coming at you. He tried this in an game early in the season and they just tapped in the rebound. 

The shot was a pee-roller that should have been greeted with two hands. 

Our game management again!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    That was brutal by Jacko towards Jayden  :D
    Any chance of a summary for those of us who don't have the stream?
    It was nothing. Just a throwaway comment from Jackson about Stockley getting back fit and ready to play after Minto quipped that Stockley was a decent 'pundit'. 
    It was more the tone of it. Jacko clearly had the hump over the result/performance, and while Minto was trying to end the interview on a lighter note, Jacko's reply was still grumpy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have lost count on how many players we had missing today , but we still dominated the game and had enough chances to win the game . Further proof that Davison isn't good enough at this level and that Souaré has been a poor signing . Hopefully we'll have a few back for Ipswich .

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    That was brutal by Jacko towards Jayden  :D
    Any chance of a summary for those of us who don't have the stream?
    It was nothing. Just a throwaway comment from Jackson about Stockley getting back fit and ready to play after Minto quipped that Stockley was a decent 'pundit'. 
    It was more the tone of it. Jacko clearly had the hump over the result/performance, and while Minto was trying to end the interview on a lighter note, Jacko's reply was still grumpy!
    of course he was grumpy .. you work and train hard all week, you're within a tick of getting a point and then a dickhead referee abrogates his responsibility ( as did the linesmen) and that means a long coach ride home with a group of pissed off players .. of course, any criticism of a referee by a manager means trouble from the EFL .. grumpy ? .. I should fucking coco
    I wasn't talking about the rest of his interview, just the final section concerning Stockley
  • Options
    Referees really should be made accountable and have to explain their decisions, as i'd love to know how he doesn't deem that to be a foul on Dobson.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    We've not had the best of luck with referees turning a blind eye to fouls costing us goals, both today and at Morecambe.

Yeah, its not like Washington didnt give the Rotherham defender a shove when he scored his goal a few weeks back. 

Shit happens. Decisions go for & against you. If we were 2-0 up at that stage it wouldnt have mattered. 

I don't mind being called out now & again but I'll say what I've said since the start of the season.  We are not good enough for top 6 - under Adkins, Jackson or whoever else. Will be lucky to finish between 10th & 12th. Top half could be doable but anyone thinking we are going to go on a run like Blackpool, Oxford blah blah blah need their lumps felt. We are not strong enough & don't have the firepower, either up front or in midfield for us to win games comfortably. 

We are currently 6 points from relegation and 11 from top 6, with many teams having 1 or even 2 games on us. A good run should see us secure in the top half, a bad run could see us in the relegation pack again. 

We need at least one decent striker in January  preferably 2. We really only have Stockley & Washington and it has shown what happens when the poorer of the 2 is out for just 3 games. God forbid one gets a lengthy injury. We are also carrying too many players who arent getting games or looking like getting games......Watson, Morgan, Arter are but 3. Arter we might be able to cut short, Morgan we might be able to send out on loan & Watson...? I'd pay his contract up if that can count as being off the books for squad numbers. 

And that is just so we can stay up. Another squad rebuild will have to be done in the summer because this season is over as to promotion hopes.

Yeah it's not like we have a transfer window coming up where we might be able to strengthen enough to keep some momentum.

Bang on Dazzler, as long as we don’t get too far away from the action.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    kentred2 said:
    It is about building a management and squad for a promotion push next season. Defeats will come in the interim. Long way to go yet to get to the right quality. Still short of central defender, quality creative midfielder and two strikers I think. 
    Lots of positives since Adkins left though. 
    What @kentred2 said

Stick with Jacko and Euell and we’ll go up next season. 
  • Options
    Missing the big man up front. Davison is still too raw and the last few games has not been at it.
    Meaning Pearce at the back, with his leadership and organisation..
    Playing Purrington within the back three didn’t give us the threat with had down the left over the last few weeks.
    Would Dobson be an option in three with Arter coming back in ?
    We can now look forward to Stockley and Leko coming back.
    Still a long way to go
  • Options
    Lots of corners but missing all of Inniss, Pearce, Stockley, Lavelle at the same time is a massive blow to set pieces at both ends. A makeshift defence and physically fairly lightweight attack is not a good combination at any time but the conditions today exacerbated that.

I have faith in Jackson but this might be his real learning curve, following up a disappointing draw with a disappointing defeat means he's going to have his work cut out getting the players fired back up.

By no means have the wheels come off but certainly a puncture has been sprung. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    stonemuse said:
    We've not had the best of luck with referees turning a blind eye to fouls costing us goals, both today and at Morecambe.

Yeah, its not like Washington didnt give the Rotherham defender a shove when he scored his goal a few weeks back. 

Shit happens. Decisions go for & against you. If we were 2-0 up at that stage it wouldnt have mattered. 

I don't mind being called out now & again but I'll say what I've said since the start of the season.  We are not good enough for top 6 - under Adkins, Jackson or whoever else. Will be lucky to finish between 10th & 12th. Top half could be doable but anyone thinking we are going to go on a run like Blackpool, Oxford blah blah blah need their lumps felt. We are not strong enough & don't have the firepower, either up front or in midfield for us to win games comfortably. 

We are currently 6 points from relegation and 11 from top 6, with many teams having 1 or even 2 games on us. A good run should see us secure in the top half, a bad run could see us in the relegation pack again. 

We need at least one decent striker in January  preferably 2. We really only have Stockley & Washington and it has shown what happens when the poorer of the 2 is out for just 3 games. God forbid one gets a lengthy injury. We are also carrying too many players who arent getting games or looking like getting games......Watson, Morgan, Arter are but 3. Arter we might be able to cut short, Morgan we might be able to send out on loan & Watson...? I'd pay his contract up if that can count as being off the books for squad numbers. 

And that is just so we can stay up. Another squad rebuild will have to be done in the summer because this season is over as to promotion hopes.

Well, that's your normal worst case scenario, Golfie.

No one knows how the season will pan out ..... and we don't even know what our squad will look like at the end of January.
    Myself, I'm happy to wait and see how the season unfolds.

That's what a football season is all about really.

I agree......but working on what has happened in previous transfer windows under TS's tenure I would say not much is likely to happen. Certainly not on Jan 2nd & if I was a betting man I'd say a couple of loanees on deadline day. Not enough & not soon enough. But then I pointed this out in the summer & got shotdown for saying it.... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like we didn't play that well. I think the turnaround since JJ took over has led to some over optimistic expectations of this season. This squad has nothing on the previous two which got promoted from this division which is why we will finish just outside the playoffs imo
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Two poor results and performances. 

Get over it, and show the watching millions on Friday what we are about. 
    Watching millions 😂 
  • Options
    A poor refereeing decision, but it happens. 

While we've missed Stockley, the real miss these last 2 games has been Pearce. Ugly away games against lower opposition are exactly the sort of games he's suited to. Organising the defence, heading the ball away, collapsing with a "Pearce injury" to break up play... If Pearce hadn't been injured, we'd have won at Morecambe and drawn today.
    Pearce isnt unknown for fouling & bringing down opposition strikers for a penalty. The old adage seems to be true.....you are a lot better when you are not in the side. At the start of the sesson everyone was saying that Pearce shouldn't have been kept on & it would be a disaster playing him. Now he seems to be (amongst many on here) the mainstay of our defence. 

Not for me. Much rather play Ellewere. All this "he's too young.....1 mistake & his career would be ruined" is total bollox imo. Last 2 games we've picked up a solitary point - and that was when we were 2-0 up. 

• Options
    We're so lightweight with our defensive injuries and without stockley. Shame we lost but had to happen at some point and Jacko has made a far better start than I thought he would. Hopefully he can get a proper response from the squad and we can start picking up the wins again.
  • Options
    A last minute goal again. How many times has that happened in the last 3 years?

Again, stupid seeing out of a game by us. About 30 seconds into the 4 minutes of injury time, we have a throw halfway inside their half. Most teams would see out the game from there comfortably but not us - we lose possession and the rest is history.

I must admit I thought Josh Davison was more than adequate for this league but sadly he has done nothing in the last 5 games to make me think I was right. His hold up play today in particular was poor. Maybe playing with Washington doesn't suit him. But he needs to up his game if he is to have a future here.

And as for Souare, a real weak link today. He looks what he was - a last minute panic signing. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The quality just wasnt there today.
    Onwards and upwards

• Options
    Why did we not play in red ???