Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    As an aside, entry to the Ground for the Worcs v Kent match last week was just £10 pp......
    That's interesting because tickets for the Norhtants game are £20 but for the Frank Wooley £25. Presumably it was cheaper because the Worcs game was at Beckenham and perhaps compensation for the lack of facilities!

https://tickets.kentcricket.co.uk/selection/event/seat?perfId=101595256432&productId=101591345322&lang=en
  • Options
    As an aside, entry to the Ground for the Worcs v Kent match last week was just £10 pp......
    That's interesting because tickets for the Norhtants game are £20 but for the Frank Wooley £25. Presumably it was cheaper because the Worcs game was at Beckenham and perhaps compensation for the lack of facilities!

https://tickets.kentcricket.co.uk/selection/event/seat?perfId=101595256432&productId=101591345322&lang=en
    The Worcs game was at Worcester!

The prices for Sunday's game at Beckenham were £20 advance, £25 on the day, with £5 extra for the stand
  • Options

The Worcs game was at Worcester!

The prices for Sunday's game at Beckenham were £20 advance, £25 on the day, with £5 extra for the stand
    Yes - silly me! So we charge at least double. 
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have asked "why allow the ECB to poach the county coach?".

Can anyone imagine Man City saying that it's OK for Guardiola to go off for a month in the middle of the season to be assistant coach for a team at the African Nations? Players go to that comp (which is an international event and not a franchise) but coaches certainly don't. If they want to do that then fine. Get someone in who is happy to have a clause inserted in their contract preventing them from doing so. There are a hell of a lot of coaches who would be more than content with that because there are only 18 counties and 18 jobs. Our season is only six months long after all and not ten months as football is. If a county coach wants to be a journeyman then that is their right to be one but if that's the case then they shouldn't be under contract with us. If they are happy to travel the world for months at a time good luck to them. But they want their cake and to eat it too.

This is nothing against Walks who is a great bloke but the bottom line is that he is Kent's Head Coach for the duration of our cricket season and any continuity of message, analysis, conversations with individual players etc etc is simply broken. I can't get confirmation of it but I believe our batting coach, ten Doeschate is there too. So two of our three main coaches are missing in action for the whole of one of the three competitions we are playing in. That simply isn't right.
    Or maybe its a learning exercise from the high profile head coaches ?  Some sort of professional development, bring some new ideas back to kent to improve the team !!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    The Evening Standard has said that it looks like Darren Stevens has played his last game for us. One of our greatest players and his achievements, especially with the ball, are remarkable especially as he came to us virtually a non bowler. If this does, indeed, prove to be the case, then good luck Stevo whatever you decide to do next.

The article also states that Crawley is out of contract. One would have thought that an extension would have been sorted by now, given that we only have six weeks left of the season and for that reason I wouldn't be surprised if he is off too. 
    I’d rather lose Crawley than Robinson

Sounds like a real shake up in the playing staff. Replacing Robinson if he goes , may be an interesting appointment 
  • Options

Can anyone imagine Man City saying that it's OK for Guardiola to go off for a month in the middle of the season to be assistant coach for a team at the African Nations? Players go to that comp (which is an international event and not a franchise) but coaches certainly don't. If they want to do that then fine. Get someone in who is happy to have a clause inserted in their contract preventing them from doing so. There are a hell of a lot of coaches who would be more than content with that because there are only 18 counties and 18 jobs. Our season is only six months long after all and not ten months as football is. If a county coach wants to be a journeyman then that is their right to be one but if that's the case then they shouldn't be under contract with us. If they are happy to travel the world for months at a time good luck to them. But they want their cake and to eat it too.

This is nothing against Walks who is a great bloke but the bottom line is that he is Kent's Head Coach for the duration of our cricket season and any continuity of message, analysis, conversations with individual players etc etc is simply broken. I can't get confirmation of it but I believe our batting coach, ten Doeschate is there too. So two of our three main coaches are missing in action for the whole of one of the three competitions we are playing in. That simply isn't right.
    Or maybe its a learning exercise from the high profile head coaches ?  Some sort of professional development, bring some new ideas back to kent to improve the team !!
    Really? Well how about doing that in the off season rather than when we are actually taking part in a competition? They do play cricket in other parts of the world between October and March.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    The Evening Standard has said that it looks like Darren Stevens has played his last game for us. One of our greatest players and his achievements, especially with the ball, are remarkable especially as he came to us virtually a non bowler. If this does, indeed, prove to be the case, then good luck Stevo whatever you decide to do next.

The article also states that Crawley is out of contract. One would have thought that an extension would have been sorted by now, given that we only have six weeks left of the season and for that reason I wouldn't be surprised if he is off too. 

Sounds like a real shake up in the playing staff. Replacing Robinson if he goes , may be an interesting appointment 
    Any ideas given all that you've said about Surrey scouting for a keeper/batsman? Billy Mead scored a hundred against the Sri Lankan Dev XI and has played a lot of 2s games this season. Assuming that Cox is still with us next season, we are probably just looking for someone to step in for the Royal London and not a straight replacement for Robinson which will, sadly, be nigh on impossible to find.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Any ideas given all that you've said about Surrey scouting for a keeper/batsman? Billy Mead scored a hundred against the Sri Lankan Dev XI and has played a lot of 2s games this season. Assuming that Cox is still with us next season, we are probably just looking for someone to step in for the Royal London and not a straight replacement for Robinson which will, sadly, be nigh on impossible to find.
    I think we are going to have a lot of holes to fill next year. I cant see them contracting another keeper unless its a batsman who can keep if they need to , thinking of someone of the ilk of Heino Khun or Tom Latham. If its just for the Royal London then i cant see them spending the money to plug that hole. 

Wonder what's happened to the Kent wicketkeeping factory ? 
  • Options

Really? Well how about doing that in the off season rather than when we are actually taking part in a competition? They do play cricket in other parts of the world between October and March.
    I think they do that already ? Hasn't Walker and Min Patel been on tour with various England sides in the winter , and I am pretty sure that i have seen County coaches over at the IPL observing. 

Playing devils advocate here but doesn't that give the opportunity for other coaches in the system to step up and experience taking the reins for the Royal London in the same way that fringe and 2nd XI players get the same opportunity ? 
  • Options

I think they do that already ? Hasn't Walker and Min Patel been on tour with various England sides in the winter , and I am pretty sure that i have seen County coaches over at the IPL observing. 

Playing devils advocate here but doesn't that give the opportunity for other coaches in the system to step up and experience taking the reins for the Royal London in the same way that fringe and 2nd XI players get the same opportunity ? 
    As I've said, you really don't see Guardiola disappearing for the duration of a competition to gain experience elsewhere or to give someone else experience at doing the job. The Head Coach is paid to coach and as you've pointed out they can gain the relevant knowledge doing so at the likes of the IPL in the off season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As I've said, you really don't see Guardiola disappearing for the duration of a competition to gain experience elsewhere or to give someone else experience at doing the job. The Head Coach is paid to coach and as you've pointed out they can gain the relevant knowledge doing so at the likes of the IPL in the off season.
    It's not comparable though, because the FA don't schedule a separate franchise tournament during the season

If in October all the top players went off to play for city franchises for a month, then I can imagine Pep managing the Manchester Monsters, Konte the Birmingham Strikers etc, leaving behind the reserve players to play in the EFL Cup, managed by junior coaches.

As much as I hate the Hundred, the reality is that this is the flagship ECB event, the top players will play in it, and the top coaches will join them, it's what the ECB want.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

It's not comparable though, because the FA don't schedule a separate franchise tournament during the season

If in October all the top players went off to play for city franchises for a month, then I can imagine Pep managing the Manchester Monsters, Konte the Birmingham Strikers etc, leaving behind the reserve players to play in the EFL Cup, managed by junior coaches.

As much as I hate the Hundred, the reality is that this is the flagship ECB event, the top players will play in it, and the top coaches will join them, it's what the ECB want.
    It might be what the ECB want but it shouldn't be what the counties accept and any coach taking the job as county head coach should agree, for the duration of the six months, they coach the county side. The other difference is that county coaches have ample opportunity to earn extra money in the off season. Guardiola doesn't as there is no more than a three or four week break between seasons - not six months. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of qualified coaches around the world that are capable of doing the job. 

But if we are to lie down and accept that the Hundred should rule over a county competition that has become mainly for 2nd XI players and coached by reserve coaches then we shouldn't be hypocrites and pretend otherwise by charging supporters top whack to watch them. Counties like Kent shouldn't have it both ways.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think we are going to have a lot of holes to fill next year. I cant see them contracting another keeper unless its a batsman who can keep if they need to , thinking of someone of the ilk of Heino Khun or Tom Latham. If its just for the Royal London then i cant see them spending the money to plug that hole. 

Wonder what's happened to the Kent wicketkeeping factory ? 
    The man chiefly responsible for bringing the likes of Billings, Robinson and Cox through has retired. Kent advertised recently for a keeping and fielding specialist coach but I'm not sure that they filled the job.
  • Options
    And this is what will happen more and more if the county structure is allowed to be reduced to the Test playing grounds. It won't just be viewing that will be affected but there will be vast areas of the country that will not have any infrastructure for producing professional cricketers. It's hard enough for State educated children to get a break and get the opportunity to attend county training sessions let alone State educated children in areas where the nearest centre is hundreds of miles away:

• Options

No, but FIFA do....It's like Guardiola being asked to help coach/manage Spain (or Brazil or England) during the World Cup but Man City still being expected to play League and FA Cup games. 

The Hundred is the death knell for county cricket in this country IMO.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

No, but FIFA do....It's like Guardiola being asked to help coach/manage Spain (or Brazil or England) during the World Cup but Man City still being expected to play League and FA Cup games. 

It might well be, but in this case I can't criticise Walker for taking the ECB silver
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Pedro45 said:

It might well be, but in this case I can't criticise Walker for taking the ECB silver
    Agreed but the terms of his and his successor's contract should dictate that he shouldn't be allowed to take any other position during the course of the season. Not many jobs in life allow an employee to do so and there are more than enough coaches that will be happy to comply on the basis that they can earn extra money at other times of the year.

Kent have a massive say in what players are allowed and not allowed to do in the off season but that doesn't apply for the duration of the Hundred because they accepted the ECB's bribe to the extent that someone like Leaning could, feasibly, be sitting on his backside for the duration, then come back to Kent having not hit a ball in anger for a month but be expected to hit the ground running upon his return.
  • Options
    Even more opportunities for players and coaches. The owners of the Mumbai Indians, for example, now own three franchises:

• Options

It might be what the ECB want but it shouldn't be what the counties accept and any coach taking the job as county head coach should agree, for the duration of the six months, they coach the county side. The other difference is that county coaches have ample opportunity to earn extra money in the off season. Guardiola doesn't as there is no more than a three or four week break between seasons - not six months. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of qualified coaches around the world that are capable of doing the job. 

But if we are to lie down and accept that the Hundred should rule over a county competition that has become mainly for 2nd XI players and coached by reserve coaches then we shouldn't be hypocrites and pretend otherwise by charging supporters top whack to watch them. Counties like Kent shouldn't have it both ways.
    The Royal London has become the cricket equivalent of the Papa Johns Trophy, all seats a Fiver sounds like a plan...........
  • Options
    Harry Finch is returning for the whole of the rest of the Royal London as Stevens, Stewart and Linde are all out due to injury
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Royal London has become the cricket equivalent of the Papa Johns Trophy, all seats a Fiver sounds like a plan...........
    I suppose Kent would counter that they got a decent crowd in at Beckenham, who saw some brilliant batting and bowling, albeit from Hampshire.

A sign of its reduced importance is that whereas after going to a Blast game I was sent a long survey to complete, I got nothing this time
  • Options
    Signing Finch is ironic given that Leaning might not play a game elsewhere during the period. That said, Finch is the favourite batsman Seb has ever batted with so one person is happy!

The good news is that Stevens might be fit to return in a few weeks so we might still see him in Kent colours once again. Stewart will hopefully be OK soon too but I'm really not sure whether this comment from Kent is good or bad news "George Linde is managing an a knee injury & is expected to be fit for South Africa’s domestic season".

A squad has yet to be announced for the Essex game but we could, potentially, have the following missing from our squad (14 in total):

Crawley (100/England)
    Denly (Injured?)
    Leaning (100)
    Cox (100)
    DBD (100)
    Billings (100/England)
    Stevens (Injured)
    Linde (Injured/returning home?)
    Stewart (Injured)
    Henry (NZ)
    Milnes (100)
    Klaassen (100)
    Podmore (Injured?)
    O'Riordan (Injured)

Of those, Denly and Podmore might be passed fit but, if not, this should leave us with a squad of just 11 (unless I've missed anyone that is):

Compton
    Muyeye
    Evison
    Robinson
    Finch
    Logan
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Quinn
    Qadri
    Saini

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I read an article that Surrey have provided the most England qualified players to the 100 amounting to 14% of all England qualified players in squads.

No wonder we cant compete.
  • Options

I suppose Kent would counter that they got a decent crowd in at Beckenham, who saw some brilliant batting and bowling, albeit from Hampshire.

A sign of its reduced importance is that whereas after going to a Blast game I was sent a long survey to complete, I got nothing this time
    You have got to wonder if the crowd was a "Beckenham Effect" , as there are lots of clubs based in the area and a Sunday in the sun and a few beers ( before they run out ) may have been quite appealing. I don't think there have been many mens 1st XI fixtures up there this season.  I wasn't there so i couldn't comment on where the crowd came from. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Signing Finch is ironic given that Leaning might not play a game elsewhere during the period. That said, Finch is the favourite batsman Seb has ever batted with so one person is happy!

The good news is that Stevens might be fit to return in a few weeks so we might still see him in Kent colours once again. Stewart will hopefully be OK soon too but I'm really not sure whether this comment from Kent is good or bad news "George Linde is managing an a knee injury & is expected to be fit for South Africa’s domestic season".

A squad has yet to be announced for the Essex game but we could, potentially, have the following missing from our squad (14 in total):

Crawley (100/England)
    Denly (Injured?)
    Leaning (100)
    Cox (100)
    DBD (100)
    Billings (100/England)
    Stevens (Injured)
    Stewart (Injured)
    Henry (NZ)
    Milnes (100)
    Klaassen (100)
    Podmore (Injured?)
    O'Riordan (Injured)

Of those, Denly and Podmore might be passed fit but, if not, this should leave us with a squad of just 11 (unless I've missed anyone that is):

Compton
    Muyeye
    Evison
    Robinson
    Finch
    Logan
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Quinn
    Qadri
    Saini

So Denly and Podmore are in the 13 man squad (which is everyone available bar Singh)

• Options

Crawley (100/England)
    Denly (Injured?)
    Leaning (100)
    Cox (100)
    DBD (100)
    Billings (100/England)
    Stevens (Injured)
    Stewart (Injured)
    Henry (NZ)
    Milnes (100)
    Klaassen (100)
    Podmore (Injured?)
    O'Riordan (Injured)

Compton
    Muyeye
    Evison
    Robinson
    Finch
    Logan
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Quinn
    Qadri
    Saini

So Denly and Podmore are in the 12 man squad (which is everyone available bar Singh)

Rather thin on the batting......
  • Options
    Podmore played for SLHC at the weekend and bowled....
  • Options

Crawley (100/England)
    Denly (Injured?)
    Leaning (100)
    Cox (100)
    DBD (100)
    Billings (100/England)
    Stevens (Injured)
    Stewart (Injured)
    Henry (NZ)
    Milnes (100)
    Klaassen (100)
    Podmore (Injured?)
    O'Riordan (Injured)

Compton
    Muyeye
    Evison
    Robinson
    Finch
    Logan
    Gilchrist
    Singh
    Quinn
    Qadri
    Saini

So Denly and Podmore are in the 13 man squad (which is everyone available bar Singh)

Rather thin on the batting......
    Indeed - though Stevens and Stewart and replacing them with Denly and Finch gives it a slightly stronger look but still means that the tail will start at 8. It will probably look something like this:

Compton
    Muyeye
    Evison
    Denly
    Robinson
    Blake
    Finch
    Qadri
    Gilchrist
    Quinn
    Saini

• Options

You have got to wonder if the crowd was a "Beckenham Effect" , as there are lots of clubs based in the area and a Sunday in the sun and a few beers ( before they run out ) may have been quite appealing. I don't think there have been many mens 1st XI fixtures up there this season.  I wasn't there so i couldn't comment on where the crowd came from. 
    No T20s at Beckenham this summer as Kent wanted to create fortress Canterbury (or whatever), which worked out well

I can't remember, but was it just the 1 CC match there also, along with no, cricket at Tunbridge Wells due to Covid complications.
  • Options
    Will Mcpherson of the standard reporting Ryan Patel to sign a new Surrey contract amid interest from other counties