Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• As someone from the Evening Standard has now tweeted it, I understand that Ollie Robinson is off to Durham. He had, I believe, offers also from Sussex and Yorkshire (who I originally thought he was likely to join) but understand that he thinks Durham is the best place for him to progress his career. The only thing that might change that is if Paul Downton can persuade him to stay but I'm pretty sure his mind is made up.

On the flip side, the ES correspondent says that Joey Evison is joining us. He is currently on loan at Leics from Notts and still only 20 so not a direct replacement for Milnes. 
    Although it’s not good for the county that’s got to be a miles better move for his career ?
  • edited July 2022
     need to clone Darren S .. before it's tooo late
  • As someone from the Evening Standard has now tweeted it, I understand that Ollie Robinson is off to Durham. He had, I believe, offers also from Sussex and Yorkshire (who I originally thought he was likely to join) but understand that he thinks Durham is the best place for him to progress his career. The only thing that might change that is if Paul Downton can persuade him to stay but I'm pretty sure his mind is made up.

On the flip side, the ES correspondent says that Joey Evison is joining us. He is currently on loan at Leics from Notts and still only 20 so not a direct replacement for Milnes. 
    Although it’s not good for the county that’s got to be a miles better move for his career ?
    Absolutely. 
  • Who is Durhams current WK and is he likely to also keep Robinson out of the side ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Who is Durhams current WK and is he likely to also keep Robinson out of the side ? 
    From what I can glean, their first choice is Eckersley who is 32 and averages 14 this year and the other keeper is a 19 year old by the name of Mackintosh. As we know, Robinson went out on loan to Durham, kept in all their T20 matches and usually batted in the top four. 

Absolutely. 
    Might want to pack a few jumpers it’s chilly up north 
  • Got some bad news for Bicknell and Surrey supporters. Their next CC game is on 12th September - 45 days after the previous match and basically for the whole of the duration of the school holidays. In those 45 days there are just 4 days when they can go and watch their County play at home (their 2nd XI at that).
  • Evison confirmed as joining Kent from Notts on a 3 year contract and will also be coming on loan to us to play in the Royal London this season too.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2022/july/evison-opts-for-notts-departure.html

Notts unhappy about it, he turned down a 3 year contract offer to join us instead

Nottinghamshire’s Joey Evison has opted to join Kent next season having declined a three-year contract at Trent Bridge.
    The club has also reluctantly complied with the all-rounder’s request to join the South-East county on a Royal London Cup loan.
    “We see Joey as a player of immense promise - one who has come through our system, who we’ve worked really hard on developing and who we think of as one of our own - so for him to be leaving us is bitterly disappointing,” said Nottinghamshire Head Coach Peter Moores.
    “We made it clear to Joey that we saw a long and successful future for him at Trent Bridge and offered a contract that was reflective of our desire to keep him at the club.
    “We feel as though we’ve done everything we could have done, but Joey has made the decision that he wants to continue his career at Kent.
    “It’s a difficult one for us to take, but whilst it’s hard to see past the disappointment at this moment in time, we of course wish him well and will look on with interest as he continues to progress.”
  • Got some bad news for Bicknell and Surrey supporters. Their next CC game is on 12th September - 45 days after the previous match and basically for the whole of the duration of the school holidays. In those 45 days there are just 4 days when they can go and watch their County play at home (their 2nd XI at that).
    I know. 
    Ridiculous isn't it.
  • To me the splitting of the season up into blocks, so that the big T20 stars can go from franchise to franchise, spoils the cricket summer, as there are too many periods when one form of the game isn't being played.

Yes the old schedule had far too many games, but it had both the County Championship AND the Sunday League played all season, so whatever your favoured form, you could go an watch it for 5 months.

Now you have long periods without red ball cricket, but also months like July where Kent after finishing the Blast on the 3rd, just played 3 CC matches and no white ball cricket for 4 weeks, in the height of summer. 
  • Grant Stewart has signed a new contract until the end of 2024
  • Not sure why the copying isn't working properly. Apologies. Anyway above is petition to save county cricket. Click for more info
    Billings has signed a new contract to the end of 2025 although his presence will still be limited by any England/franchise call ups.
  • Not sure how I sit with that grant Stewart renewal, don’t actually believe he is good enough to be honest ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Kent are playing Suffolk in what is, effectively, a warm up game for the Royal London and are currently 350-6 off 43 overs. Compton with 133 off 119 and Robinson with 139 off just 80 the main contributors.

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/suffolk-vs-kent-spitfires-2/
  • 431-7 off 50

My money is on Kent to win this!!!
  • 431-7 off 50

Really ? :-:smile:

Keeping an eye on it following the link you posted, thanks. 

We're going to Worcester on Tuesday for the first 50 over game as, for one reason or another, we won't be able to attend any locally this season. Fingers crossed that the weather holds & we'll be rewarded with a good performance & a win.
    Billings has signed a new contract to the end of 2025 although his presence will still be limited by any England/franchise call ups.
    Think we will see more of him. Really can't see him getting another call up for England and even his IPL career must be in doubt,
  • redman said:
    Grant Stewart has signed a new contract until the end of 2024
    Think we will see more of him. Really can't see him getting another call up for England and even his IPL career must be in doubt,
    I think he might still get the odd England call up be it red or white ball. As for the IPL I do agree but the lure of other super leagues might prove too much - in addition to IPL we have The Hundred, the PPL, the BPL, the LPL, the Big Bash and now the South African T20 in which no less than six of the franchises are owned by owners of teams in the IPL. More games equals more fatigue and possible injury (he's had a couple of shoulder injuries that have kept him out) so if he is happy to ignore all those potential call ups then so much the better for us.
  • 431-7 off 50

Might have to change my mind on that - 83-0 off 15
  • It's only the IPL which really impacts counties, as it clashes with the start of the season. Big Bash is well in the off season, ditto the new Saffer compete, and I can't see Billings going to one of the lesser T20 leagues at the expense of Kent.
  • redman said:
    Grant Stewart has signed a new contract until the end of 2024
    Interesting that he's no longer in the white ball squad. His best chance is as backup to Foakes in the Test team.
  • 134-1

Evison gets his first wicket in a Kent shirt