Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• I see one of the Warks bowlers is called Tommy Rex

T Rex  :D
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Criminal that Denly is playing above Robinson .  
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    What has Denly done this season ? At 12 years older ? And why make your argument so angry and vulgar ?
    He has been injured. A 37 year old Denly is still a good player.

the thing is, I'm still yet to receive any reply of substance on why Robinson should be playing in this game. Billings hasn't scored for 5 years (despite hardly playing), Denly too old etc but still no valid point to add to the discussion on why Robinson deserves a place in the team at this moment in time. 

Is Robinson a better keeper than billings? A better batsman than Crawley, billings or Denly (all England test caps)? What are his strengths? Why the continued failing of others being mentioned rather than valid points for Robinson's inclusion?

why my vulgar response, it was petulant, in response to a childish lol when I said that Robinson isn't good enough for kent, let alone for England. A comment that both kent and englands selection committees appear to agree with at this moment in time
    And as if by magic, confirmation of all that I have been saying, published in The Cricketer this afternoon but they have not mentioned the county that has shown the most interest in Robinson:

Several counties are interested in Kent wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson, with the 23-year-old considering his options at his boyhood county.

Robinson, who captained Kent in red-ball cricket earlier this season but was sent out on loan to Durham for the T20 Blast, has been left out of the side for the County Championship clash with Northamptonshire this week, with both Sam Billings and Zak Crawley returning.

It is understood that Kent are keen to keep Robinson, who has represented England at both under-19 and Lions level, but his desire to keep wicket has been complicated by Billings' elevation in England's Test pecking order. Previously, Billings and Robinson have played together, but with Robinson behind the stumps.

But Billings took the gloves for the final Ashes Test in Australia, replaced Ben Foakes as a Covid substitute against New Zealand and then retained his spot while Foakes was recovering for the seven-wicket victory over India.

Robinson's current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season, though an agreement was included in the deal that would allow him to explore other options a year early if certain criteria weren't met.

He would be highly sought-after on the county circuit, with four first-class centuries to his name, as well as captaincy experience; he was ever-present in the Blast group stages for Durham. Sussex, who lost Ben Brown to Hampshire last winter, are believed to be among Robinson's admirers.

Essex? 
    I won't be saying any more about which county but it isn't Essex though who is to say that Essex and Surrey wouldn't be interested too
    Yorkies?
    Told you - I'm not saying because eventually you will get it.

Talking of Yorkies, how are Surrey doing against them? I couldn't help noticing that things were getting so desperate for Surrey that even batsman/keeper Burns (two lifetime wickets in pro cricket from 315 matches) was asked to bowl. 
    Yet another game this season where the seamers are completely ineffective after over 25 but we only play a part time spinner. 6 Seamers all offering no threat having to keep bowling but we couldn't find room for Moriarty and even sent Virdi off on loan to Somerset. We dont seem to learn. 

Burns has occasionally bowled something he describes as "mixed spin" but its basically slow filth. Shows how desperate we are for anything to happen.
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    What has Denly done this season ? At 12 years older ? And why make your argument so angry and vulgar ?

the thing is, I'm still yet to receive any reply of substance on why Robinson should be playing in this game. Billings hasn't scored for 5 years (despite hardly playing), Denly too old etc but still no valid point to add to the discussion on why Robinson deserves a place in the team at this moment in time. 

Is Robinson a better keeper than billings? A better batsman than Crawley, billings or Denly (all England test caps)? What are his strengths? Why the continued failing of others being mentioned rather than valid points for Robinson's inclusion?

why my vulgar response, it was petulant, in response to a childish lol when I said that Robinson isn't good enough for kent, let alone for England. A comment that both kent and englands selection committees appear to agree with at this moment in time
    And as if by magic, confirmation of all that I have been saying, published in The Cricketer this afternoon but they have not mentioned the county that has shown the most interest in Robinson:

Several counties are interested in Kent wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson, with the 23-year-old considering his options at his boyhood county.

Robinson, who captained Kent in red-ball cricket earlier this season but was sent out on loan to Durham for the T20 Blast, has been left out of the side for the County Championship clash with Northamptonshire this week, with both Sam Billings and Zak Crawley returning.

It is understood that Kent are keen to keep Robinson, who has represented England at both under-19 and Lions level, but his desire to keep wicket has been complicated by Billings' elevation in England's Test pecking order. Previously, Billings and Robinson have played together, but with Robinson behind the stumps.

But Billings took the gloves for the final Ashes Test in Australia, replaced Ben Foakes as a Covid substitute against New Zealand and then retained his spot while Foakes was recovering for the seven-wicket victory over India.

Robinson's current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season, though an agreement was included in the deal that would allow him to explore other options a year early if certain criteria weren't met.

He would be highly sought-after on the county circuit, with four first-class centuries to his name, as well as captaincy experience; he was ever-present in the Blast group stages for Durham. Sussex, who lost Ben Brown to Hampshire last winter, are believed to be among Robinson's admirers.

Essex? 
    I won't be saying any more about which county but it isn't Essex though who is to say that Essex and Surrey wouldn't be interested too
    Yorkies?

Talking of Yorkies, how are Surrey doing against them? I couldn't help noticing that things were getting so desperate for Surrey that even batsman/keeper Burns (two lifetime wickets in pro cricket from 315 matches) was asked to bowl. 
    Yet another game this season where the seamers are completely ineffective after over 25 but we only play a part time spinner. 6 Seamers all offering no threat having to keep bowling but we couldn't find room for Moriarty and even sent Virdi off on loan to Somerset. We dont seem to learn. 

Burns has occasionally bowled something he describes as "mixed spin" but its basically slow filth. Shows how desperate we are for anything to happen.
    " They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring !"  :-)
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Essex? 
    Yorkies?

Also weird that Leach isn't available to play for Somerset in the first place. Surely a spinner doesn't need resting?
  • Good to see Muyeye scored 125 for the 2s yesterday. He is a very talented player who can play every shot under the sun - he just has to learn to play the right shot to the right ball and he will be a big asset to us especially in white ball where he has the potential to destroy bowling attacks. Hopefully we will see a flavour of that in the Royal London.
  • Good to see Muyeye scored 125 for the 2s yesterday. He is a very talented player who can play every shot under the sun - he just has to learn to play the right shot to the right ball and he will be a big asset to us especially in white ball where he has the potential to destroy bowling attacks. Hopefully we will see a flavour of that in the Royal London.
    really impressed me in the T20 vs us
  • Had a long chat with Ollie Robinson's dad last night; writing is on the wall, but nothing definite yet. More than one option available (at least three....), and more to come it seems. He wants to stay at Kent but this weekend seems to have made up his mind...
    really impressed me in the T20 vs us
    Hands off!!!!
  • Kent do seem to have this problem of producing too many wicketkeepers. If only we had a glut of fast bowlers...

The position of Billings is interesting too. Up until recently, you'd say that he was more of a white ball player, playing in franchises and being a regular in the England white ball squad, often as a batsman only. With the change of strategy in the Test team, he now seems to have his best chance of playing for England as a Test wicketkeeper as backup to Foakes, indeed he isn't in the current white ball squad.
  • 329-8, we won't end up with much of a lead
  • Sponsored links:

• 335 all out, lead of 32. Disappointing, considering we had Linde at 8 and Stewart at 9
  • A missed opportunity, but not altogether surprising.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Had a long chat with Ollie Robinson's dad last night; writing is on the wall, but nothing definite yet. More than one option available (at least three....), and more to come it seems. He wants to stay at Kent but this weekend seems to have made up his mind...
    Very much a shame, a decent player.. But Cox is maybe a better all round player, and looks as if he is closer to Billings in friendship as well, which no doubt has an impact.
  • 10-1

Crawley out for 5
    Lees went for 7

Ex England openers doing better though. Lyth made 183, Cook 104no
    Burns makes 132, Jennings 133no
  • They're 3 down. 64-3
  • So with Jamie Smith (somehow) being picked up for the hundred now Surrey have exactly zero keepers available for the RLODC. Foakes, Pope and Smith all gone and even occasional/one time keepers Burns and Evans not around. 

Will be interesting who they manage to pluck out of league cricket to play and how they get on. Smith was our captain last year and all. 

Our Squad of 12 left over.

Hashim Amla - Class with the bat but a liability in the field
    Ben Geddes - The next Jason Roy so I'm told
    Nico Riefer - Overrated imo
    Ryan Patel - should dominate in this comp, probably captain
    Tom Lawes - Promising but inexperienced
    Cameron Steel - Bit part player but useful has captained the 2s so another candidate for that role that role.
    Conor McKerr - Decent and has pace
    Matt Dunn - Injured and hasnt done anything in a Surrey shirt for more than 5 years
    Nick Kimber - Average bits and pieces player only played in last year RLODC
    Amar Virdi - has never played a professional white ball game
    James Taylor - Promising but inexperienced
    Nathan Barnwell - uncapped on a rookie contract

So we will be without 
    Atkinson
    Burns
    Clark
    S Curran
    T Curran
    Evans
    Foakes
    Jacks
    Jordan
    Moriarty
    Overton
    Roy
    Smith
    Topley
    Worrall

Fraustrating because I cant see Atkinson Burns Smith or Worral playing at all. And doubt Foakes, Moriarty, Clark (maybe even Evans or TC based on recent form/fitness) will play more than a handful of games.
  • Bizarre that Linde is only just coming on to bowl after 40 overs on day 3

Indeed with the pathetic over rate, surely he and Denly should have been on earlier?

Indeed with the pathetic over rate, surely he and Denly should have been on earlier?
    I suspect that it's because two left handers are in and only Leaning will turn it away from them. Teams seem to be metaphorically handcuffed to this ploy.
  • So with Jamie Smith (somehow) being picked up for the hundred now Surrey have exactly zero keepers available for the RLODC. Foakes, Pope and Smith all gone and even occasional/one time keepers Burns and Evans not around. 

Will be interesting who they manage to pluck out of league cricket to play and how they get on. Smith was our captain last year and all. 

Cameron Steel - Bit part player but useful has captained the 2s so another candidate for that role that role.
    Matt Dunn - Injured and hasnt done anything in a Surrey shirt for more than 5 years

So we will be without 
    Atkinson
    Burns
    Clark
    S Curran
    T Curran
    Evans
    Foakes
    Jacks
    Jordan
    Moriarty
    Overton
    Roy
    Smith
    Topley
    Worrall

Fraustrating because I cant see Atkinson Burns Smith or Worral playing at all. And doubt Foakes, Moriarty, Clark (maybe even Evans or TC based on recent form/fitness) will play more than a handful of games.
    Welcome to the world of Kent who don't have anywhere near the size of Surrey's squad. It is a 2nd XI comp after all and no doubt teams will be supplemented by trialists and academy players. Thanks the ECB.
  • edited July 2022
    So with Jamie Smith (somehow) being picked up for the hundred now Surrey have exactly zero keepers available for the RLODC. Foakes, Pope and Smith all gone and even occasional/one time keepers Burns and Evans not around. 

So we will be without 
    Atkinson
    Burns
    Clark
    S Curran
    T Curran
    Evans
    Foakes
    Jacks
    Jordan
    Moriarty
    Overton
    Roy
    Smith
    Topley
    Worrall

Welcome to the world of Kent who don't have anywhere near the size of Surrey's squad. It is a 2nd XI comp after all and no doubt teams will be supplemented by trialists and academy players. Thanks the ECB.
    I guess last year we were lucky because Atkinson, Clarke, Smith and Moriarty were all fixtures in the side and absolutely bossed it along with Patel. 

What I don't get is that the hundred is supposedly an elite competition with 10 less teams than the blast but we are still losing players that weren't even close to our best T20 side nor were they regulars even when we were missing 10-12 players but they somehow get a blundred contract.

What will be weird is picking players who aren't even contracted to Surrey. Last year we had to dip into reserves and youths for sure but everyone was contracted. Some of them were probably only contracted for this comp (Steel, Reifer, Kimber, McKerr, Dunn, Taylor Barnwell) whereas others (Geddes & Lawes) are actual prospects but that's still better than grabbing club players and giving them a go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also unfortunate the 100 Draft was done before the Blast started, so not based on current form!
  • Also unfortunate the 100 Draft was done before the Blast started, so not based on current form!
    that is because they are Different competitions that have absolutely no similarities to each other.
    Why would you think a T20 expert would be able to play The Hundred when they are such varied formats ?

Totally new format, new concept, new stars....

Denly makes the breakthrough in his 2nd over. Underbowled as he has been all season
  • 10-1

Crawley out for 5
    Lees went for 7

Ex England openers doing better though. Lyth made 183, Cook 104no
    Burns makes 132, Jennings 133no
    Jennings out for 318!
  • Northants declare on 396-8

We require 365 off 74 overs at a fraction under 5 an over
  • Not a chance we go for it, surely ? 
  • 16-0 at lunch

We require 349 off 67 at 5.21 an over

Crawley 7* (21)
    Compton 8* (21)
  • Meanwhile with two sessions left on the final day:

Sussex 588
    Leics 756-4 (record CC score for Leics) from 279-4

Undefeated 5th wicket partnership (must be a record for any partnership for Leics) of 467 between Ackerman (277) and Mulder (235)

Bowlers who won't be looking at their stats after the game:

Rawlins      49-3-225-0
    Coles         44-4-198-1
    Crocombe  24-4-97-0
    Hunt           25-6-94-0

• What's amusing are the 2 players who failed, one with 10, one with a duck!
  • What's amusing are the 2 players who failed, one with 10, one with a duck!
    And the poor bloke with the duck was out first ball of the innings. That really is cruel to have to sit there and watch 177 overs and 756 runs racked up in the knowledge that you won't get a second opportunity to redeem yourself.