Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Criminal that Denly is playing above Robinson .  
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    If the reference point is averages then, presumably, Crawley should be left out. He does average less than Robinson after all. Or, as I say, Billings who, as I've demonstrated already, has not scored 500 runs in a season since 2014. That's a long time.

• Stevens is back bowling. In the 2s his figures to date are 6-4-6-1
  • wmcf123 said:
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    If the reference point is averages then, presumably, Crawley should be left out. He does average less than Robinson after all. Or, as I say, Billings who, as I've demonstrated already, has not scored 500 runs in a season since 2014. That's a long time.

You wouldnt select two current England internationals over a guy who hasn't delivered this season?

the reason billings hasn't scored runs is because he has been sitting in the dressing room watching England. Why hasn't Robinson been sitting in the stands watching England? The answer is because he isnt good enough and hasn't done enough in recent times to be considered at international level. 

Billings played the last England test match and didnt let himself down with bat or gloves. If foakes (haven't checked if playing), has been sent back to Surrey and is picked ahead of a guy that's done okay this year, then tough! If cricket was like football and games were called off due to international call ups, the county back ups would have played less cricket than they have!

billings and Crawley are current test players and of course they are going to come straight back in and that may be unfortunate for the guys to miss out but that's the nature of county cricket. Someone has to miss out and based on averages this season, Robinson is that guy and rightly so.
  • Robinson also needs to consider what happened to Ryan Davies, who's professional career seems finished aged 25
  • edited July 2022
    wmcf123 said:

You wouldnt select two current England internationals over a guy who hasn't delivered this season?

the reason billings hasn't scored runs is because he has been sitting in the dressing room watching England. Why hasn't Robinson been sitting in the stands watching England? The answer is because he isnt good enough and hasn't done enough in recent times to be considered at international level. 

Billings played the last England test match and didnt let himself down with bat or gloves. If foakes (haven't checked if playing), has been sent back to Surrey and is picked ahead of a guy that's done okay this year, then tough! If cricket was like football and games were called off due to international call ups, the county back ups would have played less cricket than they have!

billings and Crawley are current test players and of course they are going to come straight back in and that may be unfortunate for the guys to miss out but that's the nature of county cricket. Someone has to miss out and based on averages this season, Robinson is that guy and rightly so.
    I only raised the averages of Billings and Crawley because you mentioned Denly as doing better than Robinson. In actual fact, I forgot how poor Denly was in the CC last season when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings whereas Robinson averaged 36.25!

We also have to keep one eye on the future. Denly will be 37 before the start of next season, has had spells out with injury and might not be as enthusiastic as he once was.  and has only batted twice in the CC for those reasons there's as much reason to think that he won't with us next season as Robinson. The difference is 13 years in age and as I've said before, if Robinson goes and Billings is away as he invariably is, who is our keeper or back up keeper to Cox - there is a reason why Robinson is ahead of Cox in the CC and why Robinson was being talked up instead of Bracey.

So who do you see as replacing Robinson should he go? We are told by another poster that Surrey are desperate to get another keeper in and have been searching all the local Prem Divs but can't find one. So it simply isn't that easy.

• good luck to all those taking the field on a red hot day like today .. good experience  for those hoping for Indian or Australian tours
  • 95-1 at lunch. Looks like a good toss to win - will try and make as field for almost two days!
  • Hi this is my wicket have never done a 4 day game before mostly school boy cricket on the head always on this forum but don’t post much 
  • edited July 2022
    Robinson also needs to consider what happened to Ryan Davies, who's professional career seems finished aged 25
    There is absolutely no comparison between Davies and Robinson. My understanding is that Davies had some serious personal issues that caused him to lose contracts at several counties - those issues are not for a public forum but he left us when he was 18 and got himself in a certain element of self-inflicted trouble. Robinson is 23 and an established pro in both the sense of his ability and his attitude to work. Davies' career was over before he even reached the age of 22.
  • Lazza76 said:
    Hi this is my wicket have never done a 4 day game before mostly school boy cricket on the head always on this forum but don’t post much 
    At 113-2 it looks like it's playing well as all Tonbridge School wickets tend to. Keep up the good work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robinson also needs to consider what happened to Ryan Davies, who's professional career seems finished aged 25
    There is absolutely no comparison between Davies and Robinson. Davies had some serious personal issues that caused him to lose contracts at several counties - those issues are not for a public forum but he left us when he was 18 and got himself in a certain element of self-inflicted trouble. Robinson is 23 and an established pro in both the sense of his ability and his attitude to work. Davies' career was over before he even reached the age of 22.
    Davies left us to join Somerset on a 3 year contract, and was indeed was meant to be first choice keeper there. It wasn't as if Kent got rid of him
  • When's Matt Henry joining us? I thought it would have been after the NZ series finished?
  • wmcf123 said:

I only raised the averages of Billings and Crawley because you mentioned Denly as doing better than Robinson. In actual fact, I forgot how poor Denly was in the CC last season when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings whereas Robinson averaged 36.25!

We also have to keep one eye on the future. Denly will be 37 before the start of next season, has had spells out with injury and might not be as enthusiastic as he once was.  and has only batted twice in the CC for those reasons there's as much reason to think that he won't with us next season as Robinson. The difference is 13 years in age and as I've said before, if Robinson goes and Billings is away as he invariably is, who is our keeper or back up keeper to Cox - there is a reason why Robinson is ahead of Cox in the CC and why Robinson was being talked up instead of Bracey.

So who do you see as replacing Robinson should he go? We are told by another poster that Surrey are desperate to get another keeper in and have been searching all the local Prem Divs but can't find one. So it simply isn't that easy.

Next season is irrelevant when answering the original question of who from the squad should be left out.  The answer to that question is Robinson.

Crawley and Billings are current england test players and are never going to be left out.

Compton cannot be left out on current form

Denly is a seasoned pro, ex-england international and will always be given game time unless his form is very poor. He did reasonably well in the last game.

Leaning has been above average for Kent and cannot be dropped on current form.

That leaves Robinson, Cox and B-Drummond.  B-Drummond, although there was talk at the beginning of the season that this would be his last as a red ball cricketer, he is currently a red ball run machine.  So its head to head, cox v robinson and cox has scored more runs.  its as simple as that.

Playing robinson now because he is out of contract and surrey are sniffing around would be stupid.  Surrey have pulling power and would be tempting to any cricketer regardless if he was getting regular game time at his current county. The fact that billings is unavailable (partly by choice, partly due to international call ups) will give robinso another bite at the cherry.  There is also a very strong chance that crawley will also miss more county games this season due to international call ups.  Robinson is the next cab on the rank, he will get another chance.  he needs to take that chance, score big and take the shirt from someone else.
  • edited July 2022
    Robinson also needs to consider what happened to Ryan Davies, who's professional career seems finished aged 25
    There is absolutely no comparison between Davies and Robinson. Davies had some serious personal issues that caused him to lose contracts at several counties - those issues are not for a public forum but he left us when he was 18 and got himself in a certain element of self-inflicted trouble. Robinson is 23 and an established pro in both the sense of his ability and his attitude to work. Davies' career was over before he even reached the age of 22.
    Davies left us to join Somerset on a 3 year contract, and was indeed was meant to be first choice keeper there. It wasn't as if Kent got rid of him
    Matt Walker said to me that Kent made a mistake with Ryan in that they didn't move to give him a contract and by the time Kent did, it was too late. The point is that Davies was an 18 year old rookie. He knew absolutely nothing about life and was influenced by the opportunity. That was a mistake for him because that lack of worldliness, I believe, led to his downfall.

Robinson was very close to leaving us a few years ago to another county but chose to stay with us when Kent offered him a new contract. At that time that was probably the correct decision. He might do the same again but he will be 24 before the start of next season and may not want to be reserve keeper/batsman to Billings - equally he wants to be regarded as a batsman and that will, no doubt, be factored in the decision as to whether to move. Bracey bats at 3 for Gloucs. Robinson bats at 6 for us.
  • edited July 2022
    wmcf123 said:

Next season is irrelevant when answering the original question of who from the squad should be left out.  The answer to that question is Robinson.

Crawley and Billings are current england test players and are never going to be left out.

Compton cannot be left out on current form

Denly is a seasoned pro, ex-england international and will always be given game time unless his form is very poor. He did reasonably well in the last game.

Leaning has been above average for Kent and cannot be dropped on current form.

That leaves Robinson, Cox and B-Drummond.  B-Drummond, although there was talk at the beginning of the season that this would be his last as a red ball cricketer, he is currently a red ball run machine.  So its head to head, cox v robinson and cox has scored more runs.  its as simple as that.

Playing robinson now because he is out of contract and surrey are sniffing around would be stupid.  Surrey have pulling power and would be tempting to any cricketer regardless if he was getting regular game time at his current county. The fact that billings is unavailable (partly by choice, partly due to international call ups) will give robinso another bite at the cherry.  There is also a very strong chance that crawley will also miss more county games this season due to international call ups.  Robinson is the next cab on the rank, he will get another chance.  he needs to take that chance, score big and take the shirt from someone else.
    So you are basing that decision on the fact that Denly is a "seasoned pro" and he did "reasonably well" in one game. He was a seasoned pro last season and managed to average 17 from 14 innings when Robinson averaged 36!

You also say "he needs to take that chance" and "score big". Batting at 6 or 7 somewhat limits the ability to do so because you are more reliant on the tail batting with you. Denly at 1-4 does not have those issues but still didn't perform last season. 

I also did not state Surrey are sniffing around. You have put two and two together. Surrey are looking for a keeper as I say and they might come in for Robinson but they are not the county that is, so I understand, interested in signing Robinson. It isn't always just about money but opportunity. And that is being limited at Kent both in terms of appearances - shipped out to Durham for the T20 (which he might have expected) but now losing his place in the CC - and a top 5 batting spot. My understanding is that Durham would love him back. But that isn't the county, as I say, that I believe has come in for him. Robinson isn't out of contract at the end of the season either - he has a year to run - but that does not, necessarily, mean that he is prevented from leaving at the end of the season.
  • Denly's bowling will also be needed in that match, seeing that it's a flat pitch and we only have 3 seamers
  • Denly's bowling will also be needed in that match, seeing that it's a flat pitch and we only have 3 seamers
    That might well be an influencing factor though Leaning bowls off spin (and has bowled) and we already have someone who turns the ball away from the right hander in Linde. We also actually have four front line seamers by the looks of things as I hadn't factored in DBD who came on second change and bowled half a dozen overs. So we've used six bowlers even without Denly.
  • Wicket to Milnes 113-2
  • Jas Singh has been released from 12th man duties for the 1s and turned up at the 2s game at Tonbridge and taken a wicket straightaway

142-3
  • wmcf123 said:

What has Denly done this season ? At 12 years older ? And why make your argument so angry and vulgar ?
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

Must admit Robinson would be a great signing for Surrey. Would be backup to Foakes when he's away with England and would allow Smith and Pope to give up the keeping. Would be challenging for a spot in all formats without being guaranteed one (unless foakes is with England). You and developing. Would prefer this to Banton.
  • wmcf123 said:

Must admit Robinson would be a great signing for Surrey. Would be backup to Foakes when he's away with England and would allow Smith and Pope to give up the keeping. Would be challenging for a spot in all formats without being guaranteed one (unless foakes is with England). You and developing. Would prefer this to Banton.
    As I say Surrey aren't the county I heard were interested in him and I would like to think with Robinson it is more about opportunity than money. I might be wrong but going from understudy to Billings to understudy to Foakes isn't what he might consider a career progression.
  • wmcf123 said:

As I say Surrey aren't the county I heard were interested in him and I would like to think with Robinson it is more about opportunity than money. I might be wrong but going from understudy to Billings to understudy to Foakes isn't what he might consider a career progression.
    If we aren't we should be. If we're after a keeper bat he's a much better bet than Banton as I said.

Billings is Currently understudy to Foakes in England terms so in theory more opportunity as understudy to foakes. But then foakes doesn't play the IPL.
  • wmcf123 said:

If we aren't we should be. If we're after a keeper bat he's a much better bet than Banton as I said.

Billings is Currently understudy to Foakes in England terms so in theory more opportunity as understudy to foakes. But then foakes doesn't play the IPL.
    Neither does Billings really.
  • wmcf123 said:

Neither does Billings really.
    Billings full IPL record (in 2022 would have been away for 10 weeks plus) 

Seasons - 5
    Matches - 30
    Innings - 27
    Total Runs - 503
    Highest score - 56
    Average - 19.35

• Really was hoping for so much more with the ball when we signed Linde on a two year contract. To date his bowling figures in the CC are 8-683
    Spot on - wicket in his first over!

206-3
    Spot on - wicket in his first over!

206-3
    Having watched the dismissal, it was a rank long hop that was pulled to mid wicket!
  • the question is, can we keep them below 500
  • Come down for the evening session. It's certainly a scorcher!