Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Criminal that Denly is playing above Robinson .  
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    If the reference point is averages then, presumably, Crawley should be left out. He does average less than Robinson after all. Or, as I say, Billings who, as I've demonstrated already, has not scored 500 runs in a season since 2014. That's a long time.

You wouldnt select two current England internationals over a guy who hasn't delivered this season?

the reason billings hasn't scored runs is because he has been sitting in the dressing room watching England. Why hasn't Robinson been sitting in the stands watching England? The answer is because he isnt good enough and hasn't done enough in recent times to be considered at international level. 

Billings played the last England test match and didnt let himself down with bat or gloves. If foakes (haven't checked if playing), has been sent back to Surrey and is picked ahead of a guy that's done okay this year, then tough! If cricket was like football and games were called off due to international call ups, the county back ups would have played less cricket than they have!

billings and Crawley are current test players and of course they are going to come straight back in and that may be unfortunate for the guys to miss out but that's the nature of county cricket. Someone has to miss out and based on averages this season, Robinson is that guy and rightly so.
    I only raised the averages of Billings and Crawley because you mentioned Denly as doing better than Robinson. In actual fact, I forgot how poor Denly was in the CC last season when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings whereas Robinson averaged 36.25!

We also have to keep one eye on the future. Denly will be 37 before the start of next season, has had spells out with injury and might not be as enthusiastic as he once was.  and has only batted twice in the CC for those reasons there's as much reason to think that he won't with us next season as Robinson. The difference is 13 years in age and as I've said before, if Robinson goes and Billings is away as he invariably is, who is our keeper or back up keeper to Cox - there is a reason why Robinson is ahead of Cox in the CC and why Robinson was being talked up instead of Bracey.

So who do you see as replacing Robinson should he go? We are told by another poster that Surrey are desperate to get another keeper in and have been searching all the local Prem Divs but can't find one. So it simply isn't that easy.

Must admit Robinson would be a great signing for Surrey. Would be backup to Foakes when he's away with England and would allow Smith and Pope to give up the keeping. Would be challenging for a spot in all formats without being guaranteed one (unless foakes is with England). You and developing. Would prefer this to Banton.
    As I say Surrey aren't the county I heard were interested in him and I would like to think with Robinson it is more about opportunity than money. I might be wrong but going from understudy to Billings to understudy to Foakes isn't what he might consider a career progression.
    If we aren't we should be. If we're after a keeper bat he's a much better bet than Banton as I said.

Billings is Currently understudy to Foakes in England terms so in theory more opportunity as understudy to foakes. But then foakes doesn't play the IPL.
    Neither does Billings really.
    Billings full IPL record (in 2022 would have been away for 10 weeks plus) 

Seasons - 5
    Matches - 30
    Innings - 27
    Total Runs - 503
    Highest score - 56
    Average - 19.35

The most important stat for the player....money earned?
  • Come down for the evening session. It's certainly a scorcher!
    I was thinking of going down to watch tomorrow, but not sure I'd fancy 6 hours outside in this heat!
  • wmcf123 said:
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't
    If the reference point is averages then, presumably, Crawley should be left out. He does average less than Robinson after all. Or, as I say, Billings who, as I've demonstrated already, has not scored 500 runs in a season since 2014. That's a long time.

You wouldnt select two current England internationals over a guy who hasn't delivered this season?

the reason billings hasn't scored runs is because he has been sitting in the dressing room watching England. Why hasn't Robinson been sitting in the stands watching England? The answer is because he isnt good enough and hasn't done enough in recent times to be considered at international level. 

Billings played the last England test match and didnt let himself down with bat or gloves. If foakes (haven't checked if playing), has been sent back to Surrey and is picked ahead of a guy that's done okay this year, then tough! If cricket was like football and games were called off due to international call ups, the county back ups would have played less cricket than they have!

billings and Crawley are current test players and of course they are going to come straight back in and that may be unfortunate for the guys to miss out but that's the nature of county cricket. Someone has to miss out and based on averages this season, Robinson is that guy and rightly so.
    I only raised the averages of Billings and Crawley because you mentioned Denly as doing better than Robinson. In actual fact, I forgot how poor Denly was in the CC last season when he averaged 17.57 from 14 innings whereas Robinson averaged 36.25!

We also have to keep one eye on the future. Denly will be 37 before the start of next season, has had spells out with injury and might not be as enthusiastic as he once was.  and has only batted twice in the CC for those reasons there's as much reason to think that he won't with us next season as Robinson. The difference is 13 years in age and as I've said before, if Robinson goes and Billings is away as he invariably is, who is our keeper or back up keeper to Cox - there is a reason why Robinson is ahead of Cox in the CC and why Robinson was being talked up instead of Bracey.

So who do you see as replacing Robinson should he go? We are told by another poster that Surrey are desperate to get another keeper in and have been searching all the local Prem Divs but can't find one. So it simply isn't that easy.

Must admit Robinson would be a great signing for Surrey. Would be backup to Foakes when he's away with England and would allow Smith and Pope to give up the keeping. Would be challenging for a spot in all formats without being guaranteed one (unless foakes is with England). You and developing. Would prefer this to Banton.
    As I say Surrey aren't the county I heard were interested in him and I would like to think with Robinson it is more about opportunity than money. I might be wrong but going from understudy to Billings to understudy to Foakes isn't what he might consider a career progression.
    If we aren't we should be. If we're after a keeper bat he's a much better bet than Banton as I said.

Billings is Currently understudy to Foakes in England terms so in theory more opportunity as understudy to foakes. But then foakes doesn't play the IPL.

Seasons - 5
    Matches - 30
    Innings - 27
    Total Runs - 503
    Highest score - 56
    Average - 19.35

For the player yes. Of no importance to Kent supporters though.  Billings doesn't really need the money anyway as he and his family are loaded. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

What has Denly done this season ? At 12 years older ? And why make your argument so angry and vulgar ?
    He has been injured. A 37 year old Denly is still a good player.

the thing is, I'm still yet to receive any reply of substance on why Robinson should be playing in this game. Billings hasn't scored for 5 years (despite hardly playing), Denly too old etc but still no valid point to add to the discussion on why Robinson deserves a place in the team at this moment in time. 

Is Robinson a better keeper than billings? A better batsman than Crawley, billings or Denly (all England test caps)? What are his strengths? Why the continued failing of others being mentioned rather than valid points for Robinson's inclusion?

why my vulgar response, it was petulant, in response to a childish lol when I said that Robinson isn't good enough for kent, let alone for England. A comment that both kent and englands selection committees appear to agree with at this moment in time
  • wmcf123 said:

Seasons - 5
    Matches - 30
    Innings - 27
    Total Runs - 503
    Highest score - 56
    Average - 19.35

For the player yes. Of no importance to Kent supporters though.  Billings doesn't really need the money anyway as he and his family are loaded. 
    But you still go to work to earn as much as you can though? 

I hate the 100, never seen a ball and never intentionally plan too. You can't blame a player from walking away from county life for a pay day 
  • MrOneLung said:
    the question is, can we keep them below 500
    5 down, the spin twins Denly and Leaning doing the damage  ;)
  • Any chance we have kept our receipt with Linde? Absolutely pointless getting him back for next season 
  • 271-8 a very surprising collapse. Zak won't want the last 2 wickets taken too quickly this evening!
  • Definitely worthwhile coming to this final session! 5 wickets so far!
  • 303 all out, a very good effort 
  • Sponsored links:

• Never saw that final score coming 
  • Warwickshire 2s 374-9 at close. Stevens was responsible for conceding some of those runs in returning figures of 10-6-9-1
  • Warwickshire 2s 374-9 at close. Stevens was responsible for conceding some of those runs in returning figures of 10-6-9-1
    Gilchrist is also playing. I assume he's still recovering from injury?
    Gilchrist is also playing. I assume he's still recovering from injury?
    He is. Both he and Quinn played in the last 2s game but Quinn is that much further forward. Hopefully, we will have a load of bowlers available for the Royal London!
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

What has Denly done this season ? At 12 years older ? And why make your argument so angry and vulgar ?

the thing is, I'm still yet to receive any reply of substance on why Robinson should be playing in this game. Billings hasn't scored for 5 years (despite hardly playing), Denly too old etc but still no valid point to add to the discussion on why Robinson deserves a place in the team at this moment in time. 

Is Robinson a better keeper than billings? A better batsman than Crawley, billings or Denly (all England test caps)? What are his strengths? Why the continued failing of others being mentioned rather than valid points for Robinson's inclusion?

why my vulgar response, it was petulant, in response to a childish lol when I said that Robinson isn't good enough for kent, let alone for England. A comment that both kent and englands selection committees appear to agree with at this moment in time
    And as if by magic, confirmation of all that I have been saying, published in The Cricketer this afternoon but they have not mentioned the county that has shown the most interest in Robinson:

Several counties are interested in Kent wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson, with the 23-year-old considering his options at his boyhood county.

Robinson, who captained Kent in red-ball cricket earlier this season but was sent out on loan to Durham for the T20 Blast, has been left out of the side for the County Championship clash with Northamptonshire this week, with both Sam Billings and Zak Crawley returning.

It is understood that Kent are keen to keep Robinson, who has represented England at both under-19 and Lions level, but his desire to keep wicket has been complicated by Billings' elevation in England's Test pecking order. Previously, Billings and Robinson have played together, but with Robinson behind the stumps.

But Billings took the gloves for the final Ashes Test in Australia, replaced Ben Foakes as a Covid substitute against New Zealand and then retained his spot while Foakes was recovering for the seven-wicket victory over India.

Robinson's current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season, though an agreement was included in the deal that would allow him to explore other options a year early if certain criteria weren't met.

He would be highly sought-after on the county circuit, with four first-class centuries to his name, as well as captaincy experience; he was ever-present in the Blast group stages for Durham. Sussex, who lost Ben Brown to Hampshire last winter, are believed to be among Robinson's admirers.

• 10-1

Crawley out for 5
  • was he driving outside of off stump ?
  • MrOneLung said:
    was he driving outside of off stump ?
    The ball was outside off stump but it was a really strange dismissal. The bat does come down straight and the full face is pointing down the wicket but it appears that the bat has turned in his hand and he's ended up being caught at mid on. Either that, or he has deliberately tried to play it through the legside and it has stopped slightly on him. Either way, once again, the ball really should have gone straight back from where its come and it's all a bit too loose:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-vs-northamptonshire-3/#$$2_004_05
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

And as if by magic, confirmation of all that I have been saying, published in The Cricketer this afternoon but they have not mentioned the county that has shown the most interest in Robinson:

Several counties are interested in Kent wicketkeeper Ollie Robinson, with the 23-year-old considering his options at his boyhood county.

Robinson, who captained Kent in red-ball cricket earlier this season but was sent out on loan to Durham for the T20 Blast, has been left out of the side for the County Championship clash with Northamptonshire this week, with both Sam Billings and Zak Crawley returning.

It is understood that Kent are keen to keep Robinson, who has represented England at both under-19 and Lions level, but his desire to keep wicket has been complicated by Billings' elevation in England's Test pecking order. Previously, Billings and Robinson have played together, but with Robinson behind the stumps.

But Billings took the gloves for the final Ashes Test in Australia, replaced Ben Foakes as a Covid substitute against New Zealand and then retained his spot while Foakes was recovering for the seven-wicket victory over India.

Robinson's current contract expires at the end of the 2023 season, though an agreement was included in the deal that would allow him to explore other options a year early if certain criteria weren't met.

He would be highly sought-after on the county circuit, with four first-class centuries to his name, as well as captaincy experience; he was ever-present in the Blast group stages for Durham. Sussex, who lost Ben Brown to Hampshire last winter, are believed to be among Robinson's admirers.

Essex? 
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Essex? 
    I won't be saying any more about which county but it isn't Essex though who is to say that Essex and Surrey wouldn't be interested too
  • Sponsored links:

• 34-2

DBD out for 17
  • edited July 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Never saw that final score coming 
    As a Northants fan, I did.

Nice to see the wonderfully named Emelio Gay get his second first class ton, the first being against, well, err... Kent, at Canterbury.   
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Essex? 
    I won't be saying any more about which county but it isn't Essex though who is to say that Essex and Surrey wouldn't be interested too
    Yorkies?
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Essex? 
    Yorkies?
    Told you - I'm not saying because eventually you will get it.

Talking of Yorkies, how are Surrey doing against them? I couldn't help noticing that things were getting so desperate for Surrey that even batsman/keeper Burns (two lifetime wickets in pro cricket from 315 matches) was asked to bowl. 
  • 74-2 off 26 at lunch

Compton 19* (69)
    Denly 29* (37)
  • Kent 2s 102-2  off 27 overs at lunch in reply to Warwickshire's 378

Muyeye 26* (50)
    Blake 22* (12)
  • 10-1

Crawley out for 5
    Lees went for 7

Ex England openers doing better though. Lyth made 183, Cook 104no
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

Essex? 
    Yorkies?
    Told you - I'm not saying because eventually you will get it.

Talking of Yorkies, how are Surrey doing against them? I couldn't help noticing that things were getting so desperate for Surrey that even batsman/keeper Burns (two lifetime wickets in pro cricket from 315 matches) was asked to bowl. 
    Don't worry I've just checked. Yorkshire are 489-7  :)

• Yorkshire's wicket keeper on 161no
  • Yorkshire's wicket keeper on 161no
    Looks like Yorkshire don't need Robinson then. Unless, of course, the existing keeper ends up playing as a batsman. Not that I'm saying that Yorkshire is the county anyway.