Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Brilliant. 
  • edited July 2022
    Things you like to see - Surrey needing 5 to win off the last over to get into The Blast Finals Day and managing to lose by one run
    Threw it away from an winning position. Why Burns was selected ahead of Smith I'll never understand. He just ate up balls. Should have done better with the ball but that was easily chaseable. Overton did all the hard work getting us within shot but then instead of taking the 1s and 2s that would have won us the game he went for the big one got out and then the wickets and dots built pressure.

Still  a decent showing with Roy, Curran, Topley and Jordan with the England squad and not allowed to play (despite Willey being allowed to play whilst being in the same squad). As well as all the injuries we have.

Yorkshire were only there because of the Leics points deduction.

If nothing else at least we have inside toilets and electricity.
  • Incredible,12 wanted from 11 and 19 times out of 20 that will be done easily. Could have left a couple of wide balls in the last two overs and been giving wides, but easy to say watching from home. 

I thought when Narine came in that would be game over, but great bowling from Yorkshire and a great catch in the deep, with that luck and as previous stated they will go on and win it.
  • 13 named for the CC match against Northants. Both Crawley and Billings are back which means there could be not one but two unfortunate batsmen left out depending on whether we go in with four or five front line bowlers

• Come on mighty Kent 
  • Tom Morris' collection of Kent photographer passes.

Now in the museum 
  • Or just leave all our bowlers out and concentrate on getting the draw and maximum batting bonus points  ;)
  • 13 named for the CC match against Northants. Both Crawley and Billings are back which means there could be not one but two unfortunate batsmen left out depending on whether we go in with four or five front line bowlers

Compton and DBD didn’t play for their clubs on Saturday but Robinson did . Can we read anything into that ? 
  • How can there be virtually no cricket on a weekend in July. The people that run this sport have no idea. Know wonder the counties have so little money. 
  • How can there be virtually no cricket on a weekend in July. The people that run this sport have no idea. Know wonder the counties have so little money. 
    Agreed, the fixture list is mad. With the Blast games on Friday and Sunday, and CC midweek, I'm not sure Kent have played ANY cricket on Saturday all summer 
  • Sponsored links:

Compton and DBD didn’t play for their clubs on Saturday but Robinson did . Can we read anything into that ? 
    Possibly so. Billings has been told, so I understand, that he has to keep for Kent if he wishes to remain as a possible Test keeper and with the form of the other Kent batsmen, Robinson does, unfortunately, look vulnerable. And one feels that if that does happen he might consider that he is better served going elsewhere especially if he does have aspirations for international honours himself. As I've said before, the rumour is that at least one county has been knocking somewhat heavily on his door.
    They have every idea. The ECB has made The Hundred their priority and will be played at the height of the summer. The Finals Day of the The Blast will clash with an England fixture but no such clash for the final of their flagship comp. It's been done to death but the ECB could have used the money spent to promote The Blast to kids. But then Harrison et al wouldn't have been in receipt of their massive bonuses - before scurrying off to pastures new and leaving their devastation of County Cricket behind.

Possibly so. Billings has been told, so I understand, that he has to keep for Kent if he wishes to remain as a possible Test keeper and with the form of the other Kent batsmen, Robinson does, unfortunately, look vulnerable. And one feels that if that does happen he might consider that he is better served going elsewhere especially if he does have aspirations for international honours himself. As I've said before, the rumour is that at least one county has been knocking somewhat heavily on his door.
    Robinson hasn't scored enough to warrant a place in Kents team, let alone be considered for international honours!

Robinson hasn't scored enough to warrant a place in Kents team, let alone be considered for international honours!
    But in recent seasons he has scored runs and was talked about by some bloke as Nasser Hussein as the person who should have played instead of Bracey - last season he was second top Kent run scorer and only 20 behind Leaning - for further comparative purposes both Crawley and Robinson batted 21 times with the former scoring 637 and the latter 725 runs. This season Crawley averages 30.20 and Robinson 33.81. On the basis of that perhaps Crawley should be the vulnerable one but, of course, he isn't though your premise that "Robinson hasn't scored enough to warrant a place in Kents team" should surely mean that he is?

It is also more difficult to consistently produce a run of scores when you are batting at 6 or 7 and not certain of your place anyway because someone who has made a living out of carrying the drinks at the IPL and for England makes himself available to play for County he captains.

But in recent seasons he has scored runs and was talked about by some bloke as Nasser Hussein as the person who should have played instead of Bracey - last season he was second top Kent run scorer and only 20 behind Leaning - for further comparative purposes both Crawley and Robinson batted 21 times with the former scoring 637 and the latter 725 runs. This season Crawley averages 30.20 and Robinson 33.81. On the basis of that perhaps Crawley should be the vulnerable one but, of course, he isn't though your premise that "Robinson hasn't scored enough to warrant a place in Kents team" should surely mean that he is?

It is also more difficult to consistently produce a run of scores when you are batting at 6 or 7 and not certain of your place anyway because someone who has made a living out of carrying the drinks at the IPL and for England makes himself available to play for County he captains.
    But that was last year, this year he averages 33 when most wickets have been batter friendly. He is Kent's second best wicket keeper batsman and if he loses his place to a better player then so be it. If billings wasn't a professional drink carrier, Robinson would have had even less opportunities. 

I would have Compton and bell Drummond as two of the top three With either Denly or Crawley. Crawley is obviously rated by England coaches and Denly hasnt playesd much this season but has also received international recognition.

there's a big difference in receiving international recognition than receiving good reviews from a pundit.

I prefer Robinson to cox but Robinson misses out as he has scored less this season. 

But that was last year, this year he averages 33 when most wickets have been batter friendly. He is Kent's second best wicket keeper batsman and if he loses his place to a better player then so be it. If billings wasn't a professional drink carrier, Robinson would have had even less opportunities. 

I would have Compton and bell Drummond as two of the top three With either Denly or Crawley. Crawley is obviously rated by England coaches and Denly hasnt playesd much this season but has also received international recognition.

there's a big difference in receiving international recognition than receiving good reviews from a pundit.

I prefer Robinson to cox but Robinson misses out as he has scored less this season. 

Billings has scored 43 runs for Kent in the CC this season, scored just 149 runs last season and 20 runs the season before that. So that's barely 200 runs in total in the last three seasons. So, should Robinson leave, if and when Billings opts to play franchise cricket again or is called up for England and Robinson opts to move on, who is going to be our number two or even number one keeper? Because, despite what we think, they don't always grow on trees and there aren't any obvious candidates coming through either. Cox might end up being number one but he might well move too. 

• Robinson is quality ; must play. 

Billings has scored 43 runs for Kent in the CC this season, scored just 149 runs last season and 20 runs the season before that. So that's barely 200 runs in total in the last three seasons. So, should Robinson leave, if and when Billings opts to play franchise cricket again or is called up for England and Robinson opts to move on, who is going to be our number two or even number one keeper? Because, despite what we think, they don't always grow on trees and there aren't any obvious candidates coming through either. Cox might end up being number one but he might well move too. 

Wasnt it two season ago that billings ended the season scoring a couple of hundreds in the last few games, or was the season before?

Wasnt it two season ago that billings ended the season scoring a couple of hundreds in the last few games, or was the season before?
    Last decade runs for Billings in the CC:

2022 - 43 runs 
    2021 - 149 runs 
    2020 - 20 runs
    2019 - 366 runs 
    2018 - 370 runs 
    2017 - 262 runs
    2016 - 329 runs 
    2015 - 447 runs
    2014 - 755 runs
    2013 - 45 runs

So we have to go back to 2014 for a meaningful red ball return from Billings. As it happens, I understand that Billings might be out of contract at the end of the season. Presumably, his future will be announced in the next month or so and we will see whether Cox or Robinson can/want to or will be released from the final year of their three year contracts. 

• Just the 3 regular seamers. Robinson misses out, Zak and Billings play
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t see Robinson being here next year 
  • Criminal that Denly is playing above Robinson .  
  • Billings is batting at 7 and we've gone into the game with just four frontline bowlers, one of which is a spinner who has struggled to take wickets this season.

Quinn is coming back from injury and only needs to break down and we might as well hand the match to Northants. That said, they have probably also weighed up the effectiveness of the last remaining bowler, Singh, in these conditions compared to losing another batsman.  Stewart, at 9, has a First Class average of 26.05 with seven 50s and one hundred to his name from just 47 innings. 
  • Or just leave all our bowlers out and concentrate on getting the draw and maximum batting bonus points  ;)
    I think Kent read this! Linde at 8, Stewart at 9
  • 17-1 off 8

Quinn took the wicket with the first ball of the match!
  • Live stream link below. Irony is that all the advertising for the game has Robinson plastered all over it!

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-vs-northamptonshire-3/#
  • It's Canterbury Week. What difference does that make now?
  • It's Canterbury Week. What difference does that make now?
    It doesn't. The Hundred I believe changed that.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Criminal that Denly is playing above Robinson .  
    what has robinson done this season to warrant a starting place?  he averages less than 35 on high scoring pitches and has the lowest average this season than the batsmen picked ahead of him.  If he thinks he is hard done by, maybe he should have scored more runs than cox, leaning and bell drummond.

People want to bash one out over him just because he has come through the academy.  he has made himself dropable whereas the names mentioned above haven't