Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• And as a result of having both Linde and Qaid, Denly has been underbowled. An Adam Milne would have given us something we don't have already
  • Looks like Quinn came off injured and may now join Stevens, Gilchrist and Podmore on the physio's couch. Hopefully Klaassen will be back from being on duty with the Netherlands for Friday's Blast game and we will have Duffy for the CC game against Surrey starting on Sunday but that will still only leave Milnes, Stewart and Singh as our other fit red ball seam bowling options.
  • All this talk of trying to take momentum into the 50 over competition is a bit silly when much of the team will be missing for the 100
    We're not going to lose quite as many as last season but will still be affected. I believe the proposal of the ECB is to officially make it a 2nd XI competition and to limit both The Blast and the CC to 10 matches each. All for the sake of The Hundred. Not sure how many 100 ball World Cups we have to prepare for! 
    From what I can make out we will lose Billings, Crawley, Klaassen, DBD, Cox, Leaning and Milnes to The Hundred. This leaves a squad for the RL of 15:

Compton
    Denly
    Muyeye
    Robinson
    Blake
    O'Riordan
    Stevens*
    Linde
    Stewart
    Podmore*
    Gilchrist*
    Quinn*
    Qadri
    Singh
    Logan

*currently injured.

With the injury doubts and form of one or two others we will almost certainly need to recruit, as we did last year, from those who have been playing in the 2s this season.

• A bit of a blow for Blake as a white ball only player, that the Oval Invincibles went for Leaning instead of him this season. 

Good news that Denly wasn't chosen, as his run a ball batting will be fine for the 50 over stuff, and a bonus if we get to keep Blake. DBD is no loss to the batting on current form
  • Lost by 5 runs. As much as Jas Singh's over was the difference so was Denly's 31 off 30.
    I disagree. I appreciate that he is your sons mate and you would naturally defend him but  going for 26 off of 6 balls was the difference between the two teams. 

Denly played an anchor role and didn't get out cheaply like bell Drummond has been. His strike rate could have been better but he set it up for the bigger hitters lower down to give it a go. That would have been a lot harder had he got out for 5!! It would also have been a lot easier if one bowler hasn't gone for 26 in one over. 

Singh was the reason kent lost. Hopefully the kent coaches and back room staff are doing their jobs and getting him ready for the next game!!
  • Addick Addict would know him better, and may have a different opinion as you know the lad better, but from what I seen and heard of Jas, I am not sure he will make, I think he will be another bowler we have had come through, then is out of the game by 23-25 years old. There is a serious lack of bowlers coming through, not only at Kent but in the country as a whole! No surprise though, why would you want to bowl if batsman are just setting themselves to smash you out of the park.. 
  • https://www.thepca.co.uk/press-release/ivan-thomas-epic-ironman-challenge/

Ivan Thomas doing an ironman challenge for charity
    Another young bowler who walked away from the game at a young age. 
  • Lost by 5 runs. As much as Jas Singh's over was the difference so was Denly's 31 off 30.
    I disagree. I appreciate that he is your sons mate and you would naturally defend him but  going for 26 off of 6 balls was the difference between the two teams. 

Denly played an anchor role and didn't get out cheaply like bell Drummond has been. His strike rate could have been better but he set it up for the bigger hitters lower down to give it a go. That would have been a lot harder had he got out for 5!! It would also have been a lot easier if one bowler hasn't gone for 26 in one over. 

Singh was the reason kent lost. Hopefully the kent coaches and back room staff are doing their jobs and getting him ready for the next game!!
    I've never said that Jas's over wasn't the difference. I don't actually think that Jas is ready for the first team as I've intimated previously and if it weren't for injuries to Gilchrist, Stevens and Podmore plus Klaassen with the Netherlands he wouldn't have been. It was an exercise to see where he is and you don't truly know 'til he plays at that level. He was always the one who was going to be targeted anyway because the opposition knew that he was going to be nervous.

I am saying that Denly's innings was responsible too. It wasn't impossible to win last night's game, even with Jas's over, as proven by the fact that we only ended up half a dozen runs short of doing so but Denly chewing up balls contributed to it too.

You simply cannot go at a run a ball for 5 full overs (25percent of the innings), as Denly did, when needing almost 200. Effectively Denly's innings meant that the rest of the batsmen had to get 163 off 15 overs i.e. almost 11 runs an over for each and every one of those 15 overs. That is real pressure that he is placing on the rest of the team.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Denly is batting in the Power Play with only two fielders out - that is the optimum time to hit over the top - you do not see a Roy, Bairstow, Salt etc etc going at less than a run a ball in that period for that reason.  In that Power Play, Denly scored just 18 off 19 while the other end produced 26 off 17. Denly also failed to score off 9 of those 19 balls - he wasn't even rotating the strike in that period. In fact, all age group openers at Kent are told to go hard in that period for that very reason - there will be a fine leg or a third man plus maybe someone at mid wicket if the opening bowler is a quick and that leaves a lot of scoring options for hitting over the top.

Denly has had one very good innings this season when he scored 110 off 58 balls at a strike rate of 189.66. For the whole of the rest of the competition he has scored 248 runs off 238 balls at a strike rate of 104.20. So that is an average of 27 off 26 balls for nine of the ten games - meaning that whilst he has won us one game with that ton he has also cost us in others through his inability to step up the scoring rate. Runs have to come from both ends and not just one especially from an opener.

One final thing - Jas sent Seb this morning a screenshot of a message he had received from a "fan" in a less than pleasant way telling him that he had cost Kent the match. Jas didn't need to be told that. He knew it. He was absolutely gutted and Seb was equally devastated for him - they've been mates for over a decade (I was also their first team Manager when they were nine and have been friends with him and his family for that period) but it still didn't stop Jas from trying to knock his block off in a club game on Saturday. Neither would expect anything else. He knows what he needs to do as a pro but he is a 19 year old making his way in the game. It is far easier to point the finger at him alone than, perhaps, to be critical of a 36 year old former international who should be dominating the opposition bowling rather than playing a so called "anchor" role when the situation did not demand one - but if an opener is going to play like that he has to see it through and be there later on to step it up. And Denly did neither.

Well said, who honestly cares that much about cricket, that they would message a young lad making his debut ? Totally speechless 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    https://www.thepca.co.uk/press-release/ivan-thomas-epic-ironman-challenge/

He injured his knee in a football warm up kick about and was out for a year as a result and never recovered from that. Football is now banned.

I've never said that Jas's over wasn't the difference. I don't actually think that Jas is ready for the first team as I've intimated previously and if it weren't for injuries to Gilchrist, Stevens and Podmore plus Klaassen with the Netherlands he wouldn't have been. It was an exercise to see where he is and you don't truly know 'til he plays at that level. He was always the one who was going to be targeted anyway because the opposition knew that he was going to be nervous.

I am saying that Denly's innings was responsible too. It wasn't impossible to win last night's game, even with Jas's over, as proven by the fact that we only ended up half a dozen runs short of doing so but Denly chewing up balls contributed to it too.

You simply cannot go at a run a ball for 5 full overs (25percent of the innings), as Denly did, when needing almost 200. Effectively Denly's innings meant that the rest of the batsmen had to get 163 off 15 overs i.e. almost 11 runs an over for each and every one of those 15 overs. That is real pressure that he is placing on the rest of the team.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Denly is batting in the Power Play with only two fielders out - that is the optimum time to hit over the top - you do not see a Roy, Bairstow, Salt etc etc going at less than a run a ball in that period for that reason.  In that Power Play, Denly scored just 18 off 19 while the other end produced 26 off 17. Denly also failed to score off 9 of those 19 balls - he wasn't even rotating the strike in that period. In fact, all age group openers at Kent are told to go hard in that period for that very reason - there will be a fine leg or a third man plus maybe someone at mid wicket if the opening bowler is a quick and that leaves a lot of scoring options for hitting over the top.

Denly has had one very good innings this season when he scored 110 off 58 balls at a strike rate of 189.66. For the whole of the rest of the competition he has scored 248 runs off 238 balls at a strike rate of 104.20. So that is an average of 27 off 26 balls for nine of the ten games - meaning that whilst he has won us one game with that ton he has also cost us in others through his inability to step up the scoring rate. Runs have to come from both ends and not just one especially from an opener.

One final thing - Jas sent Seb this morning a screenshot of a message he had received from a "fan" in a less than pleasant way telling him that he had cost Kent the match. Jas didn't need to be told that. He knew it. He was absolutely gutted and Seb was equally devastated for him - they've been mates for over a decade (I was also their first team Manager when they were nine and have been friends with him and his family for that period) but it still didn't stop Jas from trying to knock his block off in a club game on Saturday. Neither would expect anything else. He knows what he needs to do as a pro but he is a 19 year old making his way in the game. It is far easier to point the finger at him alone than, perhaps, to be critical of a 36 year old former international who should be dominating the opposition bowling rather than playing a so called "anchor" role when the situation did not demand one - but if an opener is going to play like that he has to see it through and be there later on to step it up. And Denly did neither.

Denly seems to be the scape goat on here. There was very little between Denny's innings and the innings of cox, but cox seems to escape criticism
  • edited June 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Addick Addict would know him better, and may have a different opinion as you know the lad better, but from what I seen and heard of Jas, I am not sure he will make, I think he will be another bowler we have had come through, then is out of the game by 23-25 years old. There is a serious lack of bowlers coming through, not only at Kent but in the country as a whole! No surprise though, why would you want to bowl if batsman are just setting themselves to smash you out of the park.. 
    The thing about Jas is that he is a late developer. He wasn't bowling properly 'til he was 15 and was never in any Kent squad 'til he was 16 and is still very raw. His Dad played State cricket and Jas has inherited his physique and action. However, he needs to fill out, he has to do a bit more with the ball, be more consistent, not bowl a red ball length when playing white ball, develop a bit of a nasty streak and gain another 5mph plus. If he does commit to doing all of that then I think he has a chance.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    https://www.thepca.co.uk/press-release/ivan-thomas-epic-ironman-challenge/

He's a really nice guy, is Ivan, and I hope he gets through this challenge and his coffee business is a roaring (or roasting) success!
  • edited June 2022
    Changing the subject entirely.
    Last night I was watching a TV documentary about the recruitment of Nazi SS officers during WW2.
    Their main officers training school (at the time their equivalent of Sandhurst), was SS-Junkerschule Bad Tolz where the officer cadets were inexplicably encouraged to play cricket!
    Extraordinary! 😲

Denly seems to be the scape goat on here. There was very little between Denny's innings and the innings of cox, but cox seems to escape criticism
    It is possibly the difference between winning and losing - Denly 31 off 30 and in the Power Play scored 18 off 19, failing to score a run off 9 of those 19 balls. Cox scored 32 off 27 with 15 of those off 9 balls in the Power Play and failing to score off just 2 of those balls. Had Denly scored at the same rate as Cox in the Power Play he would have been out for 45 off 30 - another 15 runs. Even taking their overall strike rates into account he would have scored another 5 runs or so. 

Incidentally, that 110 of Denly's against Middlesex is the only occasion that he has reached 50 in any form of the game for over a year - he scored 63 on 5th June last year. His lack of form isn't a recent event - it's been going on for ages - and it appears that he is now trying to get some sort of score to justify his existence rather than taking a risk or two. I'm not saying he is a selfish cricketer like Malan. What I am saying is that he has been struggling for a long time to stamp his authority on games. The same could be said about Billings and DBD in The Blast too. Which is one of the reasons we are where we are.

These are every single one of Denly's scores in all competitions he has played in since the start of last season:

That's 856 runs in 42 innings at an average of 20.38 in all competitions in the last 15 months. If he were a 19 year old batsman it would be unlikely that he would be offered a new contract at the end of the season though I have a feeling that Denly might still have one year left on his.

It is possibly the difference between winning and losing - Denly 31 off 30 and in the Power Play scored 18 off 19, failing to score a run off 9 of those 19 balls. Cox scored 32 off 27 with 15 of those off 9 balls in the Power Play and failing to score off just 2 of those balls. Had Denly scored at the same rate as Cox in the Power Play he would have been out for 45 off 30 - another 15 runs. Even taking their overall strike rates into account he would have scored another 5 runs or so. 

Incidentally, that 110 of Denly's against Middlesex is the only occasion that he has reached 50 in any form of the game for over a year - he scored 63 on 5th June last year. His lack of form isn't a recent event - it's been going on for ages - and it appears that he is now trying to get some sort of score to justify his existence rather than taking a risk or two. I'm not saying he is a selfish cricketer like Malan. What I am saying is that he has been struggling for a long time to stamp his authority on games. The same could be said about Billings and DBD in The Blast too. Which is one of the reasons we are where we are.

These are every single one of Denly's scores in all competitions he has played in since the start of last season:

That's 856 runs in 42 innings at an average of 20.38 in all competitions in the last 15 months. If he were a 19 year old batsman it would be unlikely that he would be offered a new contract at the end of the season though I have a feeling that Denly might still have one year left on his.

I think Denly's biggest problem, was the way he was treated by England affected him mentally. You are right, a 19 year old might not, but I always think there is a case for people that have earned there strips to be given extra time.. Over the years, he has won Kent many games on his own! 

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe called it a day at the end of the year if I am honest! 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Lost by 5 runs. As much as Jas Singh's over was the difference so was Denly's 31 off 30.

I think Denly's biggest problem, was the way he was treated by England affected him mentally. You are right, a 19 year old might not, but I always think there is a case for people that have earned there strips to be given extra time.. Over the years, he has won Kent many games on his own! 

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe called it a day at the end of the year if I am honest! 
    I agree with you because Denly has been a great servant albeit he did have a few years at Middlesex and something went wrong post England. It could just be the hunger isn't there any more but I do believe that he is playing a bit "safety first" now and that in itself is putting a bit of pressure on the guy at the other end.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Lost by 5 runs. As much as Jas Singh's over was the difference so was Denly's 31 off 30.

I agree with you because Denly has been a great servant albeit he did have a few years at Middlesex and something went wrong post England. It could just be the hunger isn't there any more but I do believe that he is playing a bit "safety first" now and that in itself is putting a bit of pressure on the guy at the other end.
    Run of low scores can lead to the fear of getting out.. pretty sure most cricketers have been there!  Not sure it is hunger, he was used as a bit of a scapegoat for England, up and down the order, was told to try can bat for 100 balls rather than worrying about runs! And over that period, apart from Stokes and Root, he was one of England's best bats!
  • Kent have signed on loan Toby Pettman from Nottinghamshire. Pettman was in the same Tonbridge school team as Crawley and O'Riordan and of course Billings went to the school too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Kent have won the toss and elected to bowl against Sussex. Bit of a surprise that Jas Singh has been included. Quinn is injured and Milnes left out and they have been replaced by the returning Klaassen and Linde. 
  • Kent have signed on loan Toby Pettman from Nottinghamshire. Pettman was in the same Tonbridge school team as Crawley and O'Riordan and of course Billings went to the school too.
    Bilbo went to Haileybury , with Jamie George Saracens and England Rugby star
    Bilbo went to Haileybury , with Jamie George Saracens and England Rugby star
    That's correct. My mistake. Ben Earl, the England rugby player, was also in the same Tonbridge cricket team as Billings, O'Riordan and Pettman.
  • Sussex finished on 158-8 after being 77-1 off 8 overs
  • Denly striking better 
  • 80-2 off 10. Same again will be enough.
  • Yay. Can we still get into the next round?
  • Kent win by 6 wickets with 7 balls to spare against a very ordinary, bar Rashid Khan, Sussex side. Denly set the chase up and Billings finished it off - once again he took the sweep and reverse sweep out of the equation and played stronger shots down the ground.

Another taste for Jas Singh - asked to bowl the final over of the Power Play, he delivered a couple of very ordinary balls that went the distance but was extremely unlucky not to pick up his first Blast wicket given the easy catch dropped by Klassen. It's all about him and Kent learning what he needs to work on for the rest of the season and in the winter and the same applies to Muyeye who looks like someone who has a lot of shots but needs to learn to play the right ones to the right balls. Again he has time on his side.
  • ANOTHER T20 victory ! 

Well played, lads.

We'll be there a week on Sunday to cheer you on in the final match.
  • Kent won the toss and will bowl in their 4 day game against Surrey. Billings has been called up to replace Foakes so Leaning skippers. Pettman makes his debut and Jas Singh plays too in what is a somewhat inexperienced attack.