Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Heard a rumour yesterday from someone I'd met for the first time. Really not sure this has any legs whatsoever but the rumour is that Grant Stewart (not sure why he isn't playing today) is off to Sussex at the end of the season (that wouldn't surprise me so much) and a former Kent Academy player is returning to Kent - the other Ollie Robinson (that would surprise me)!
  • edited June 2022
    Surrey are 33 of 6 overs. 
    Kent have had less runs after 6 in the T20 games this season. 
  • 60-0 off 11
  • A wicket - Patel c Robinson b Milnes

66-1
  • And like buses......

70-2

Burns c Robinson b Pettman

• Slurrey where are you? 
  • 261-2 off 61 overs 

Good job we won the toss and put Surrey in because we might not have been in such a strong position had we elected to bat!
  • DBD, of all people, gets Amla out

284-3

• Denly listed at number 9 ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Denly listed at number 9 ? 
    Digressing from Kent for a moment, is Porter injured or dropped by Essex?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    I wouldn't take too much notice of that - what they appear to have done is to take the batting order from the last game minus Billings, Stewart and Quinn and then added Denly, Singh and Pettman to the bottom of the list
  • 445-5 at close. Who would have thought that The Oval would be a road? Certainly not Leaning at the toss.
  • LenGlover said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Been injured lot of the season Len. 
    Was due to play today but Tore his hamstring in the seconds last week. Had calf injury which wiped out his preseason and started first game against Kent undercooked. Played for their seconds to get some mileage in his legs and has had a few injuries on top of each other so
    this season bit of a write off for him. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    LenGlover said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Was due to play today but Tore his hamstring in the seconds last week. Had calf injury which wiped out his preseason and started first game against Kent undercooked. Played for their seconds to get some mileage in his legs and has had a few injuries on top of each other so
    That's sad to hear. Hopefully he'll come back if not at some point this season then fully firing next.
  • MrOneLung said:
    LenGlover said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Sorry to hear that and hope he recovers as soon as possible and gets back to knocking on the England team door as Jimmy and Broady age.
  • A humiliating day being a Kent fan. Sloppy fielding,  no energy and Singh is a club bowler at best. Woeful performance and put to the sword by Curran at the end. 
  • A humiliating day being a Kent fan. Sloppy fielding,  no energy and Singh is a club bowler at best. Woeful performance and put to the sword by Curran at the end. 
    Singh is a club bowler at present and very much a work in progress but then he's only 19. He knows that the reason he's playing at the moment is because we have five seam bowlers out injured. It's why we've had to take an emergency loan with Pettman. Interesting though that you chose to pick on him (14-0-79-0) and not say Duffy, the soon to be 28 year old overseas recruit (17-1-101-0) or even our other overseas, the 30 year old Linde (season figures of 7-570) - both of these are far, far more experienced (Singh's seventh pro match in all forms of the game) and they will be on substantially more than Singh's rookie contract.

According to The Cricketer, a "rookie contract", for an 18-21 year old, is £18K. That's not £18k a week as a 19 year old Premier League footballer might earn who might never gets to kick a ball in anger at that level but £18k a year. That is why the average age for a County cricketer retiring is 26. Because so many of them don't make it and are better off finding a job that pays that doesn't leave them subjected to the sort of abuse on social media Singh received following his Blast debut. The time for reflection and self criticism, away and alone in a hotel room, is also the reason why cricket has the highest rate of suicide of any sport. It really isn't as glamorous as some people, especially those coming through the County age group system, think.

It is much easier to pick on the rookie because he hasn't achieved anything in the game - hopefully Singh will. But he might not. Time will tell. 
  • Have we managed to bowl out any team below 400?
  • Have we managed to bowl out any team below 400?
    Gloucs for 213 in the last game which we won by 8 wickets 
  • Do feel for Singh, clearly not ready to make the step up but with our options so light, he is having to be drafted in. 

The whole bowling unit needs to be looked at this winter, everyone apart from milnes and Gilchrist should be released or replaced in my opinion. Big winter for the club as a whole, this season is probably as bad as I can recall in my 20 years of watching, not sure about anyone else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• You learn more from when things go wrong or are tough for you. 

Am sure Jas will benefit from these games in the long run. 

You can’t expect him to come in a 7th choice quick and be on same level as those he is replacing 
  • Stevens appeared to be twelfth man yesterday.  If he is fit why on earth wasn't he playing? 

The decision to bat, knowing the Oval is a road and our attack is under strength, was ridiculous. Apart from Milne, who beat the bat, particularly Geddes's, every bowler was below par.

Only Henry can stave off relegation based on the rubbish I saw yesterday. 
  • Stevens appeared to be twelfth man yesterday.  If he is fit why on earth wasn't he playing? 

The decision to bat, knowing the Oval is a road and our attack is under strength, was ridiculous. Apart from Milne, who beat the bat, particularly Geddes's, every bowler was below par.

Only Henry can stave off relegation based on the rubbish I saw yesterday. 
    Because he's not fit enough to bowl. On Saturday he scored 158* in the Kent League Div 1 for St Lawrence & HC but didn't bowl a single ball despite them using eight bowlers. And he won't get in our top 5 for his batting alone because Compton, DBD, Denly, Leaning and Cox have all scored meaningful runs in the CC or Blast.

We lost Bird through injury and now have Stevens, Gilchrist, Podmore, Quinn and Stewart all out - that's six of our seamers . 
  • This is actually getting so embarrassing that I have had to turn it off. As I said the other day, Linde has been very underwhelming and do wonder if it’s worth getting him back next season 
  • Have Surrey batted too long ?

Nearly over 550 now, in a 4 day game, on day 2, against what is clearly a very poor Kent side

They could have declared last night, and we still wouldn’t have a cat in hells chance of beating them
  • Just watched a bit of it.. Curran was certainly batting well.. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Just watched a bit of it.. Curran was certainly batting well.. 
    I was going to say that he's been middling the ball all innings but he's now out - to Linde

585-6
  • For those that are interested the 2s are playing Durham and have them 25-2. Mickey Edwards, the Australian who plays for St Lawrence and who has already picked up 32 wickets in the Kent League has figures of 1-19 and Seb's mate and fellow Bickley Park player has 1-0 off 4 overs. Link to the game:

https://live.nvplay.com/ecb/#m4ee1f20c-0133-47f1-8776-2f485b21b94d
  • Surrey declared on 673-7. Interestingly Denly has opened with Compton and we have Surrey on the run at 9-0
  • Compton out for 4.