Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Sandgaard to stay in the UK

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    So let's try to imagine a realistic scenario. We were losing every week and a lot of the players were unhappy. Possibly by say all the chopping and changing going on. Maybe that was hidden from Sandgaard but he may have found that out from JJ. I imagine he has sat down with JJ and asked what was wrong and how he has put it right! So wouldn't you be a bit miffed if you were told everything was fine in that respect?
  • Options
    Ok, so NA's flop which is a 'setup' flop in effect, alongside JJ's success has invoked a potential implication on the strategic model of the club.

Offshore Management needs a rejig. TS wants to see Charlton success more than Roddy success so I have confidence in him personally from what I've experienced of the ride so far. 

• Options
    If internal forces are against JJ, I would imagine that dressing room footage of motivational speeches would have been disallowed from the Club's new offering.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We've been shafted enough times to justify the questioning. Not do long ago people were bowing to Southall and thinking we were rich. 

We don't know what's happening behind the boardroom doors and so the questions will remain. And that's ok. 
    Spot on. 
    So when, in your honest opinion, will it be ok to actually enjoy some of the small steps we now seem to be taking?

When the next manager is appointed, so long as it’s JJ or it’s full on meltdown time?

When we get promoted out of this division?

When TS sacrifices his first born in the centre circle to prove he really is the real deal?

When?

Just so we know 🤔🤷‍♀️🙏🏻
    Same old, same old from you then. How tedious for you to be worked up enough to post about me. Again.
    Same old same old avoiding the question, again.
    I’m not worked up by you, please don’t flatter yourself.

The only tedious thing is the constant over analysing and negativity of some.
    Some people are always looking for the next drama. Not saying airman is one of them btw, but there are many especially in the massive world of Twitter.
    You are right, but people do listen closely to AIRMAN, I’ve conversed on here with him and respect his views, however every now and then he throws a little cryptic nugget into the conversation, which does make people presume some things aren’t right. For somebody like myself completely not ITK, it’s not the vibe you want to read when all appears good. I’m not having a go at AIrman when I say this, as in the past he has been right to have doubt(thankfully). Just an observation.
    Thanks. My ultimate view is that we have a lot to be grateful to Thomas Sandgaard for - although I don’t quite share the apocalyptic view of 2020 - and that he is a genuine individual seeking the best outcomes for the club and its supporters. You should take that as read.

People are quite right to assume I think I know more about ticket promotions at Charlton than the owner - having been heavily involved in designing them for 20 years inside and outside the club it would be surprising if I didn’t. That doesn’t mean TS knows nothing and I defer to his success in what is a very different business, but he does not and cannot have the local knowledge. Since I recognise people wouldn’t want to hear it, I made no comment on Saturday’s promotion in advance and have confined myself to correcting errors of fact subsequently. I would just observe that it was not strategic, it was a late decision and some aspects reflected that. But it was very successful in its own terms. I enjoyed the afternoon.

On the football front, I knew about Hasselbaink, reports of internal resistance to Jackson and Martin Sandgaard at the beginning of last week. I took a decision not to reference any of them in the new VOTV because I thought they would just fuel conspiracy theory without having the substance to say what they mean. 

On the business side, there is a very long list of things that are obviously wrong with the way the club is operating and would not have been permitted by the post 1992, pre 2010 board. Many of them are trivial in isolation but cumulatively they add up to a badly run football club. I have resisted listing them because I do not want to “attack” the owner, we are four months into the return of fans and I recognise we have some good staff doing their best. The glaring omission and blame for this sits in my view with the lack of an experienced and present chief executive (and that is way outside my skill set or aspiration, and neither does it need to be one with experience at Charlton, although it would have been sensible to utilise what was available in the latter respect). 
    I have also tried to point some things out behind the scenes in ways and places that would be helpful and more constructive rather than just sounding off. 
    In the absence of both a UK-based chief executive and the scrutiny of non-executive directors, it is unsurprising the business is a mess. So yes, Saturday was great. Full credit to the owner and maybe all this gets sorted over time. But I don’t rush in to criticise for the sake of it. At the same time, I won’t pretend all is well when I don’t think it is.

As for people decrying views on Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc, no one forces you to read them. The club used to receive vitriolic and threatening communications towards its decision makers even at its peak in the Premier League. All that is new is the amplification by the internet, but you won’t change that.

Airman, please don’t think for one moment I’m having a dig. I personally and quite often hold my thoughts on things that I don’t consider I can do much about. (Generally behind the scenes stuff that you may have been involved with in the past) until I read what you personally have to say, as most of the time it provides clarity within all the rubbish that is posted. I don’t always agree with your views, but absolutely respect them as I do most other posters as I believe everyone is entitled to there opinion.look forward to hearing more mate.👍
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We've been shafted enough times to justify the questioning. Not do long ago people were bowing to Southall and thinking we were rich. 

We don't know what's happening behind the boardroom doors and so the questions will remain. And that's ok. 
    Spot on. 
    So when, in your honest opinion, will it be ok to actually enjoy some of the small steps we now seem to be taking?

When the next manager is appointed, so long as it’s JJ or it’s full on meltdown time?

When TS sacrifices his first born in the centre circle to prove he really is the real deal?

When?

Just so we know 🤔🤷‍♀️🙏🏻
    Same old, same old from you then. How tedious for you to be worked up enough to post about me. Again.

Some people are always looking for the next drama. Not saying airman is one of them btw, but there are many especially in the massive world of Twitter.
    You are right, but people do listen closely to AIRMAN, I’ve conversed on here with him and respect his views, however every now and then he throws a little cryptic nugget into the conversation, which does make people presume some things aren’t right. For somebody like myself completely not ITK, it’s not the vibe you want to read when all appears good. I’m not having a go at AIrman when I say this, as in the past he has been right to have doubt(thankfully). Just an observation.
    Thanks. My ultimate view is that we have a lot to be grateful to Thomas Sandgaard for - although I don’t quite share the apocalyptic view of 2020 - and that he is a genuine individual seeking the best outcomes for the club and its supporters. You should take that as read.

People are quite right to assume I think I know more about ticket promotions at Charlton than the owner - having been heavily involved in designing them for 20 years inside and outside the club it would be surprising if I didn’t. That doesn’t mean TS knows nothing and I defer to his success in what is a very different business, but he does not and cannot have the local knowledge. Since I recognise people wouldn’t want to hear it, I made no comment on Saturday’s promotion in advance and have confined myself to correcting errors of fact subsequently. I would just observe that it was not strategic, it was a late decision and some aspects reflected that. But it was very successful in its own terms. I enjoyed the afternoon.

On the football front, I knew about Hasselbaink, reports of internal resistance to Jackson and Martin Sandgaard at the beginning of last week. I took a decision not to reference any of them in the new VOTV because I thought they would just fuel conspiracy theory without having the substance to say what they mean. 

On the business side, there is a very long list of things that are obviously wrong with the way the club is operating and would not have been permitted by the post 1992, pre 2010 board. Many of them are trivial in isolation but cumulatively they add up to a badly run football club. I have resisted listing them because I do not want to “attack” the owner, we are four months into the return of fans and I recognise we have some good staff doing their best. The glaring omission and blame for this sits in my view with the lack of an experienced and present chief executive (and that is way outside my skill set or aspiration, and neither does it need to be one with experience at Charlton, although it would have been sensible to utilise what was available in the latter respect). 
    I have also tried to point some things out behind the scenes in ways and places that would be helpful and more constructive rather than just sounding off. 
    In the absence of both a UK-based chief executive and the scrutiny of non-executive directors, it is unsurprising the business is a mess. So yes, Saturday was great. Full credit to the owner and maybe all this gets sorted over time. But I don’t rush in to criticise for the sake of it. At the same time, I won’t pretend all is well when I don’t think it is.

As for people decrying views on Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc, no one forces you to read them. The club used to receive vitriolic and threatening communications towards its decision makers even at its peak in the Premier League. All that is new is the amplification by the internet, but you won’t change that.

Airman, please don’t think for one moment I’m having a dig. I personally and quite often hold my thoughts on things that I don’t consider I can do much about. (Generally behind the scenes stuff that you may have been involved with in the past) until I read what you personally have to say, as most of the time it provides clarity within all the rubbish that is posted. I don’t always agree with your views, but absolutely respect them as I do most other posters as I believe everyone is entitled to there opinion.look forward to hearing more mate.👍
    No offence taken. I just thought I’d make the point that I don’t push everything out without thinking it through. I’m aware of how it is received and the risks attached.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Spot on. 

When?

Just so we know 🤔🤷‍♀️🙏🏻

No offence taken. I just thought I’d make the point that I don’t push everything out without thinking it through. I’m aware of how it is received and the risks attached.
    👍
  • Options
    Martin seemed a nice enough bloke on his video game livestreams so I say good luck to him. 

Hope he’s not expecting it to be as easy as a Football Manager save. :-)
  • Options
    He's only got the job because of his dad....

or

We only managed to hire someone of his calibre because of his dad...

I've experienced both. Not sure what side of the coin Martin sits, but let's give it a chance eh?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to throw it out there, you can enjoy the ride without questioning the owners every word and action. 

Honestly it seems like (especially on twitter) people want Sandgaard out already... Some of those are on here too.

It also seems some of the particularly more vocal people on here are desperate to be proved right that Sandgaard is either not wealthy enough or that he's in it for the wrong reasons.
    A lot of questions are being asked of the owners reign so far but I can’t recall seeing anyone post on here that they want him gone 
    They're not saying it in so many words on here but they are implying it.

The worst ones are unsurprisingly more vocal on Twitter, begging for Barclay to come back in Sandgaard's stead or calling for him to sell simply because he has not yet committed further to Jackson in terms of managerial contract.

I mean Twitter is obviously worse than most socials at the best of times, but it's becoming ever more difficult to avoid the negativity of some.
    I have been and still am a bit sceptical of Sandgaard’s actions as owner. I don’t, however, want him gone. He seems to want the right things for Charlton and hopefully will grow into his role.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I doubt appointing JJ so early was part of any plan. And there did seem to be a plan on the playing side. Have a Charlton way of playing (4-3-3) through all of its teams with an experienced coach guiding us through the early years. There was a lot of talk of a 5 year plan which I have repeatedly said is bollocks in football. Yes, you get your eggs in a row and ensure things are run well and sustainably but to me, that is getting your structures right rather than a plan. It seems JJ's part of this plan was a few years into the future.

This to me is trying to be too clever. Five year plans almost always never work in football. You go from a one year plan to another one year plan. Our five year plan clearly went up in smoke more quickly than a sceptic like me anticipated. Also, I can't believe Adkins was a total idiot and he was probably hamstrung by having to adhere to a way of playing that prevented him adapting as JJ immediately did with fantastic results. You can have an aim to play attractive football but you have to be adaptable with tactics and formations as things can change very quickly and one way may not suit what you have. It might be different if you are PSG or Man City, but we are clearly not those teams.
    'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'
    Mike Tyson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    I doubt appointing JJ so early was part of any plan. And there did seem to be a plan on the playing side. Have a Charlton way of playing (4-3-3) through all of its teams with an experienced coach guiding us through the early years. There was a lot of talk of a 5 year plan which I have repeatedly said is bollocks in football. Yes, you get your eggs in a row and ensure things are run well and sustainably but to me, that is getting your structures right rather than a plan. It seems JJ's part of this plan was a few years into the future.

This to me is trying to be too clever. Five year plans almost always never work in football. You go from a one year plan to another one year plan. Our five year plan clearly went up in smoke more quickly than a sceptic like me anticipated. Also, I can't believe Adkins was a total idiot and he was probably hamstrung by having to adhere to a way of playing that prevented him adapting as JJ immediately did with fantastic results. You can have an aim to play attractive football but you have to be adaptable with tactics and formations as things can change very quickly and one way may not suit what you have. It might be different if you are PSG or Man City, but we are clearly not those teams.
    'Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth'
    Mike Tyson
    spot on southbank - it seems to me that roddy's masterplan (who's else could it be?) sounded great in theory but in reality was not working - his spell at Reading seems to back up that he may be great at producing pamphlets and rule books but when given real people to deal with a nd real opponnents, the theory doesn't cut it - in my game (construction cost consultant)  there are people who can produce all sorts of beautiful looking documents and tell clients all sorts but when it comes down to it, can you tender and get a contractor to build something for the price you've told the client it will cost and can you agree the final account at the cost you've been reporting to him throughout the build. The only test in football eally is can you win football matches and can you do it cost effectively? Well, we wee heading for league 2 and i would cetainly be questioning the person who sold me the dream if i were TS and be listening to a man who knows what it takes and is currently proving that. i wouldn't be surprised if tyhe roddy / adkins axis were briefing to bring new coaches in, blaming Jackson and Euell maybe? Well, TS has taken the right path by giving Jackson a shot at it and hopefully he lets him become head of the footballing side of things and let the theory merchants work for him, not the other way round.       
  • Options

or

I've experienced both. Not sure what side of the coin Martin sits, but let's give it a chance eh?
    Spot on fella.👍
  • Options
    I'm actually also concerned we've made some basic and old mistakes in the transfer market, aswell as good.

Were injury prone players Oldies in Arter, Souare and Henderson really required? We knew the risks and issues they came with but decided for that direction anyway? They're constantly bloody injured and when back, pretty bland but we then make out as if just need a good few games with us.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Spot on. 

When?

Just so we know 🤔🤷‍♀️🙏🏻

Sometimes you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't Airman. Perhaps you are right not to air everything you hear on this forum, even though, at times, this functions as rumour mill with no regard to fact. My own opinion is that I probably sit in the 'wait and see' camp and I am like a lot of people who were  exiled to Selhurst and saw VOTV as the bible,, simply because we trusted the information and we learnt through that medium what it takes to run a professional Football club.  I too am not sure that TS is not  way in over his head and he has been there now for over a year 
    and if the business is still not functioning then that adds to that worry. Let's hope that his enthusiasm for the task and the support amongst the fan base carries him along and in time he can deal with the problems presented, I still feel that he will need a lot of luck though. 

• Options
    Got a lot of time for Airman and all he has done for the club over the years and 100% believe his intentions are always for the best for the club but he ain't always right that's for sure 
  • Options

or

Spot on fella.👍
    Agree - apart from the statement that he’s staying and doing something on the football side, I’ve no idea what his role is, so it’s hard to criticize it. 
  • Options
    Martin seems to have a different taste in music than his old man if this banger is anything to go by....

https://youtu.be/DC18La9xOAk
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Got a lot of time for Airman and all he has done for the club over the years and 100% believe his intentions are always for the best for the club but he ain't always right that's for sure 
    Who is? Don’t say yourself!
    Always being right is a heavy burden. I should know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Martin seems to have a different taste in music than his old man if this banger is anything to go by....

https://youtu.be/DC18La9xOAk
    Rolf is the new goalkeeping coach
  • Options
    I believe that Ged Roddy isn't happy with the nepotism being shown by Thomas Sandgaard by having Martin Sandgaard in the club.
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    It was reported that Bowyer didn't see eye to eye with Roddy and it is possible Jackson is suspicious of him. It is interesting that the system we were told all of our teams would play and presumably the balance of the squad was based on was changed by Jackson. Not so much players being changed but the formation. Who is wedded to that formation is the question? Jackson doesn't seem to be. 

What has been a positive, is we have seen that buys like Dobson, Clare and Lee have turned out to be good ones. Who gets the credit for this. Some were asking the question who was to blame not long ago. The thing is we can only speculate as we don't know who is responsible for what. Maybe that is part of the problem with our structure.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Well it’s a fact isn’t it it or are u u saying you’ve never got things wrong in the past? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Well it’s a fact isn’t it it or are u u saying you’ve never got things wrong in the past? 
    Blimey, Doucher. It was a joke!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Blimey, Doucher. It was a joke!
    Of course it was - just as mine was !
  • Options
    Play nice guys - Martin is watching and reading!
  • Options
    Apart from Thomas who of course trumps everyone, who is calling the shots ? Who does JJ report to ? In my view it should only be to TS. There is no CEO and as far as I’m aware Roddy is “technical director “ whatever that means. If GR is acting as a buffer between first team manager and the owner then I’m not surprised if there is friction. Only my opinion here but my view is quite old fashioned. I want the first team manager calling 99% of the shots for all things related to the playing side. Ala Fergie and our own legend Curbs. The club exists to service the first eleven. The manager gets the first team winning and everything else falls into place pdq. Everyone including the owner should be supporting JJ, within reason and budgetary restraints. Do we have to many chiefs? 
    We as Charlton fans have been starved of success. But when we have seen it, that has been the model. Interestingly, when the power has been taken away from the manager, it has gone pear shaped. I'm thinking post Curbs, Powell under Roland and this season. We can look at Bowyer's success and note that Roland had lost any interest in us at the time.

It is an evidenced based point to throw at the clever dicks, but they seem to think they can have these fantastic solutions that nobody else has thought of. 
  • Options
    I believe that Ged Roddy isn't happy with the nepotism being shown by Thomas Sandgaard by having Martin Sandgaard in the club.
    Brilliant!
    Source CE?