Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martin Sandgaard to stay in the UK

Comments

• Exactly and it's hardly like LB was ever cute or corporate with his words. 
  • Chunes said:
    Bowyer said over and over again that he didn't think there was a CB available who would make us better and that he didn't want an untested loan either. He said he thought Gunter and Pratley were both good there. This was done to death at the time and brought up when people wanted LB out. 

There was money available because we've spent it every window.
    To be fair, Bows was absolutely right about Gunter.
  • Spot on Cabbles, think any appointment made now that is a close friend or member of family or contract/job (or invoice) will naturally be greeted with sceptism after all that has gone before. The football alone thing alarms me, but I hope it's a bit lost in translation. Maybe he's just around to get things done more quickly with JJ,, accelerate deals during the window be it in or out and manage the wage bill which would make sense. It's just that bit of me that is saying we've been here before and it's not turned out well and I doubt I'm alone. 
  • Innocent until proven guilty and all that
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that
    Unless it’s on twitter 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a massive fan of Sandgaard, but think we're all a bit nervous, cos Saturday was so good  and appointing someone other than JJ risks losing it all. Frankly the delay is making people nervous, and after Saturday I'm not sure what's to be gained by it. 
    But let's not pretend that buying the stadium was a simple option, nor that we can directly link late transfers to poor start. In TS we trust, and especially in JJ. 
  • How can a young man who had a trial with QPR and played a bit for Enfield then returned to USA for 14 years be

"a brilliant football player and read the game better than anybody, has an amazing shot and an amazing understanding of modern football"

Sorry Mr S but that is a 
    bit of the rose coloured specs and should not colour your judgement, however what ever experience your son might or might not have I agree that it is a good idea to have his opinion on all things Charlton but please don't exaggerate his footballing ability and knowledge.
  • How can a young man who had a trial with QPR and played a bit for Enfield then returned to USA for 14 years be

"a brilliant football player and read the game better than anybody, has an amazing shot and an amazing understanding of modern football"

Sorry Mr S but that is a bit of the rose coloured specs and should not colour your judgement, however what ever experience your son might or might not have I agree that it is a good idea to have his opinion on all things Charlton but please don't exaggerate his footballing ability and knowledge.
     Matt Southall was from South London don't you know.

Lived there for about five minutes after birth and then moved Oop north.
    Looked good on his CV to us fans though.
  • When you assess managers you have to hold them against what is reasonable.  Either in terms of points, or position in the table. 

Last season I would say, and I did say often, 77-82 would have been par.  Comfortable in the play offs and a bit over might have pinched 2nd.  The "best team" wasn't as good as the 18/19 team but the squad was much better. 

This season before a ball was kicked I said 20 less conceded, 20 more scored, 20 more points.  Maybe 90 was over optimistic but I don't think 85 was. 

If you look at Adkins's CV you could argue that most seasons he is +/- 5 to 10 points off par.  Even at Sheffield United they had a chance at the play offs with 2 games to go. 

We were on course for about 45 points.  That's a massive drop.  Football hasn't changed that much in the 19 months he was out of it.   He isn't some sort of English Karel Fraeye.  He wasn't clueless when he walked in the door, was he? 

If I was Thomas I would want to seriously know why.  Because its his money. 

Who out of his senior team knew Adkins was the problem, and why?  Who out of his senior team knew that the formation/system was the problem?  Who knew that the players we signed couldn't do what ever it was they were asked to do?  Did any of them tell Thomas? 

If I had invested 2 or 3 million quid on fees and wages I would want a proper investigation as to what went wrong.  Because something did. 

One of the issues is the relationship between the manager and his assistant.  Thomas is convinced that JJ is a good assistant manager and could slot back into that role.  That is absolutely bull shit.  There is no such thing as a good, or bad, assistant.  It's how they complement the manger that counts. Clough was half the manager without Taylor, even Sir Alex wasn't as good without the right number two. 

Up until very recently I was convinced that Roddy had sold Thomas a way to build some sort of talent pipeline.  I am now thinking that Thomas has asked Roddy to implement it.   Because that's what you do in business.  No one with any involvement in senior football would think it was a good idea, because there is no president for it.  

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He is obviously baffled by the turn around in results since Adkins departure. Something must have been very wrong behind the scenes and
    I doubt he has confidence in the person who recommended Adkins
    Adkins was not appointed because he was Roddy's mate.  The same isn't true for the goalkeeping coach....

Lots of question that should be asked about Roddy but that isn't one of them. 
    I did not say that Adkins was Roddys mate in fact I didn't mention Roddy in my post
    You said the person that recommended Adkins.  It's often said, on here, it was Roddy, it wasnt.   Just clearing it up. 
    so who was it? 
    Maybe he just applied for the job & was (in TS’s opinion) the best candidate?
    Strange I know, doesn’t fit any conspiracy theory 🙄🤷‍♀️
    No conspiracy from me, I just assumed from cafc that he knew how the appointment came about as he’s so sure it wasn’t Roddy’s suggestion.

I was actually quite happy when Adkins came in and thought it was a decent appointment, obviously it didn’t work out for several reasons, some down to him and some not, I’d guess. 
  • If that was me and I had bought a football club and they had performed as badly as we did this season under Adkins and I lived 4000 miles away and I felt I hadn’t been really kept accurately updated with what was going on, I would want to appoint someone local who could keep an eye on things. Someone I could trust. And who better than my son who I’ve already worked with in my business, has made a success of it and I trust, and someone who was available and wanted to come here. Nothing sinister in this but just understandable after what has gone on this season. 
    So, who hadn’t really been reporting accurately? I don’t know but maybe we’ll get more of an idea of that as time goes on. And, maybe we can infer who that is by what we know of the appointees.  Now, I’m not saying that part is true but I know I would have done the same thing if I felt I needed someone here who I could trust. And that is what has happened. 
    I view this as a common sense appointment by our owner to someone he trusts.
    Let’s face it, this season was a disaster after a very good transfer window (as we are now seeing) and that would have perturbed me enough to want to do something about it so, to the best of my ability, it couldn’t happen again. I view this as a positive appointment in line with everything TS has done at our club since we first heard about him. 
  • Sandgaard will continue to get the benefit of any doubt from me, simply because without him coming in who knows where we'd be. Personally i think we were a shit show and we are lucky he saved us. 

Admittedly that doesn't give him a free pass and some of his comments about his son are a bit dubious, but let's just wait and see what happens. 

The guy lives in Colorado, 7 hours time difference to London so he can't always be around for meetings etc and clearly something has happened so i don't see an issue with him wanting someone he trusts in place around the club to report back to him. 
  • AndyG said:
    We could all be worried if he was unveiled as our new striker ! But the bloke is getting a job in a club that hopefully one day he will own why wouldnt he want to learn the trade ?

Do you think TS will be the owner for the next 20+ years?

I never really thought of that. Our previous owners over the last 15 years, usually turn up, see what the fuss is about...then piss off.

I thought TS would be here roughly 5/6 years max 
  • Dave2l said:
    AndyG said:
    We could all be worried if he was unveiled as our new striker ! But the bloke is getting a job in a club that hopefully one day he will own why wouldnt he want to learn the trade ?

Do you think TS will be the owner for the next 20+ years?

I never really thought of that. Our previous owners over the last 15 years, usually turn up, see what the fuss is about...then piss off.

I thought TS would be here roughly 5/6 years max 
    And miss the opportunity of playing his guitar on the pitch at half time in the champions league semi final against Real Madrid?
  • Sponsored links:

• "a brilliant football player and read the game better than anybody, has an amazing shot and an amazing understanding of modern football"
    Sounds like the kind of verbal diarrhoea that Murray used to come up with to endorse yet another terrible decision made by Duchâtelet.

Actually it's much worse than that, and should be seen as a real (unintended) insult and worry to all Charlton fans.
  • boggzy said:

Sounds like the kind of verbal diarrhoea that Murray used to come up with to endorse yet another terrible decision made by Duchâtelet.

Actually it's much worse than that, and should be seen as a real (unintended) insult and worry to all Charlton fans.
    FFS Boggzy…..let’s wait and see how this works out.
    I’m 50/50 with this plan.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    When you assess managers you have to hold them against what is reasonable.  Either in terms of points, or position in the table. 

Last season I would say, and I did say often, 77-82 would have been par.  Comfortable in the play offs and a bit over might have pinched 2nd.  The "best team" wasn't as good as the 18/19 team but the squad was much better. 

This season before a ball was kicked I said 20 less conceded, 20 more scored, 20 more points.  Maybe 90 was over optimistic but I don't think 85 was. 

If you look at Adkins's CV you could argue that most seasons he is +/- 5 to 10 points off par.  Even at Sheffield United they had a chance at the play offs with 2 games to go. 

We were on course for about 45 points.  That's a massive drop.  Football hasn't changed that much in the 19 months he was out of it.   He isn't some sort of English Karel Fraeye.  He wasn't clueless when he walked in the door, was he? 

If I was Thomas I would want to seriously know why.  Because its his money. 

Who out of his senior team knew Adkins was the problem, and why?  Who out of his senior team knew that the formation/system was the problem?  Who knew that the players we signed couldn't do what ever it was they were asked to do?  Did any of them tell Thomas? 

If I had invested 2 or 3 million quid on fees and wages I would want a proper investigation as to what went wrong.  Because something did. 

One of the issues is the relationship between the manager and his assistant.  Thomas is convinced that JJ is a good assistant manager and could slot back into that role.  That is absolutely bull shit.  There is no such thing as a good, or bad, assistant.  It's how they complement the manger that counts. Clough was half the manager without Taylor, even Sir Alex wasn't as good without the right number two. 

Up until very recently I was convinced that Roddy had sold Thomas a way to build some sort of talent pipeline.  I am now thinking that Thomas has asked Roddy to implement it.   Because that's what you do in business.  No one with any involvement in senior football would think it was a good idea, because there is no president for it.  

I mean, do people really think Sandgaard has spent and is spending X million's on a football club just for Ged Roddy to play with? The way some people go on about Roddygate it's like Ged's the owner calling all the shots in the background while Sandgaard acts as a CEO putting his face to it and the fans.

• boggzy said:

Exactly how I see it tbh.
    I expect we are in the minority though.
  • Sandgaard has all the best intentions in the world for our club but he’s better off saying less than more .
    Of course he’d then get complaints of not informing the I need to know the ins and outs of a ducks arse crew but it’s some of the  extra waffle that puts the frighteners up .
    Jacko could lose the next 7 and TS would be best placed with his ongoing potential recruitment of a manager .
    We don’t need to know there’s punters being interviewed and who they are when Jacko’s at the wheel performing miracles .
  • If we didn't have the internet, there would be no concern. We would just be back to peeping who is at Sparrows lane.
  • The comments regarding Martins football credentials are a little baffling,however,we must remember,TS lives 4000 miles away,runs a very successful business in the USA,has his music hobby,and no doubt a family and social life where he lives.His son coming here will take some of the pressure off of him as obviously he cannot  be 100% hands on from the USA.Surely with the mount of money he is investing,he is entitled to have a trusted family member on the shop floor,I know I would.