Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I imagine the tictac videos are advanced tech that the military are hiding. Bit like post WW2 and operation paperclip and the birth of NASA
  • Options
    Any beings capable of arriving here from another planet would be to us like the Conquistadors were to be native Americans and the British to the indigenous Australians.
  • Options
    Any beings capable of arriving here from another planet would be to us like the Conquistadors were to be native Americans and the British to the indigenous Australians.
    Its the Vulcans who will make first contact with earth in 2063. 
  • Options
    but with extra probing
  • Options
    but with extra probing
    Yeh, it's the probing that hurts!
  • Options
    Rho Ophiuchi is the closest star-forming region to Earth, and the subject of the James Webb Space Telescope's one-year anniversary.

Looks a bit like Gojira doing some space humping.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It's all bollocks I reckon. Why is it America covers less than 2% of the Earth and yet apparently almost all the sightings and "evidence" seems to end up there? 

Yes it is a statistical certainty that other forms of life exist in the Universe, but given just how gargantuan the Universe is and just how much of a speck we are in the almost neverending vastness of space, there is no chance of us ever reaching another inhabitanted planet, or them reaching us.

The probability of a lifeform being advanced enough to have the technology to travel those distances, live long enough to travel that distance, pick us out of everywhere in the Universe to travel to, and time it to a point where they reach us at a point in our time that we can understand who or what they are, is so fantastically small there's not a number big enough to convey just how slim the chances are.
    You're spot on and i'm pretty certain that they're not visiting Americans!

However, Worm hole theory would say the travel would become a lot faster and if aliens were to travel intergalacticly i imagine they could scan a galaxy for life and visit those planets as they would be more interesting. There's also no reason for them to be tens of thousands of years more advanced than us. However, if they were to visit i'm sure they would have done it by now. Earth has existed for billions of years. Still an interesting thought.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    As a proponent of an infinate universe and multiple existances, aliens must exist.  It does not keep me awake at night of course, but somewhere, out there, there is a moment in time ans space where Charlton beat Millwall every other week, a completely alien concept to us of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a proponent of an infinate universe and multiple existances, aliens must exist.  It does not keep me awake at night of course, but somewhere, out there, there is a moment in time ans space where Charlton beat Millwall every other week, a completely alien concept to us of course.
    Even in the multiverse of infinite probability this was impossible.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Time is the dimension it is hardest to get your head around. Einstein worked out that time doesn't move at the same speed everywhere. This was proven with the experiment involving atomic clocks. One on one plane going one way around the earth and the other on another going another way. When they met up, the were off compared to each other, not by a lot but enough to confirm Einstein was right. 

Einstein also predicted that whilst we have a perception of time moving forwards, all time exists together, so the past still exists. We can see into the past when we look at the stars but we probably can't travel into the past whilst we are travelling into the future as we speak. And if we could travel fast enough we could travel faster into the future. 

It is all mind blowing, but Einstein never predicted Charlton beating Millwall on a regulat basis.
  • Options
    Great article here with some brilliant pictures:  

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66950930
  • Options
    More incredible photos from the James Webb telescope:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-611525eb-3a0c-4a68-bf54-485df138b6f6
  • Options
    Ridiculous imagery. I used to go around in circles trying to "work space out".

With age I've just accepted the infinite amount of unknowns and scale of the universe (cheers Men in Black) and realise how bloody improbable it is that I even exist and I'm at peace with that!
  • Options
    Great docu film on Netflix about the James webb construction and launch
  • Options
    edited January 1
    JW has done exactly what I dreamed it would do. Completely broken any model of the universe that man has ever formulated.  They will be analysing data and re-jigging theories for decades to come.  Just imagine what the next generation of scopes will reveal?  Absolute fascination every time they release information. I reckon they will find definitive signatures of life in 2024.
  • Options
    More incredible photos from the James Webb telescope:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-611525eb-3a0c-4a68-bf54-485df138b6f6
    They would look incredible as manually coloured in by artists ! 
  • Options
    The Ingenuity helicopter as part of the Mars Perseverance has been great to watch:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68099672
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "...the black hole has a voracious appetite, consuming the mass equivalent to one Sun every day".
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    "...the black hole has a voracious appetite, consuming the mass equivalent to one Sun every day".
    Fat bastard
  • Options
    Serious heartburn!