Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

Comments

• Options
    That sun shield deployment sequence is a serious bit of engineering. Imagine being on the team that designed and built it knowing if it fails the entire trip gets aborted.
  • Options
    • Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI)
    • Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam)
    • Near-Infrared Spectrograph (NIRSpec)
    • Near-Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph/Fine Guidance Sensor (NIRISS/FGS)
    Of the four main scientific instruments on board the JWST UK scientists were chiefly responsible for MIRI which was delivered to NASA way back in May 2012.  Obviously been a fair bit of tweaking since then.

https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/james-webb-space-telescope-jwst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuWzIkBjUE
  • Options
    Yep, we will all miss them... in a few million years time.
  • Options
    Saw some footage on BBC news earlier…..bloody amazing!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Completely incredible pictures
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All fantastic images but Carina Nebula is breathtaking.
  • Options
    All fantastic images but Carina Nebula is breathtaking.
    Praise the colour artist who makes up the pictures 
  • Options
    wow amazing pictures

• Options
    In the first picture in particular, each one of those dots are galaxies and contain trillions of stars.  Really strikes home the enormity of creation.
    And if there are an infinite number of parallel universes there is one where Charlton have a 90,000 capacity stadium and fans are tired of them constantly winning the champions league
  • Options
    Who counted that.............

'Astronomers estimate there exist roughly 10,000 stars for each grain of sand on Earth. That's a lot of stars. Astronomers recently discovered the origin of sand grains. For years, they believed that only sun-like stars created lots of carbon and silicon dust, and the silicon dust is the source of sand.'

Simply incomprehensible stuff. Fascinating.
  • Options
    Amazing.  Imagine being part of the team that’s built this thing.  What a honour to say you have contributed to something like this 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    In the first picture in particular, each one of those dots are galaxies and contain trillions of stars.  Really strikes home the enormity of creation.
    And if there are an infinite number of parallel universes there is one where Charlton have a 90,000 capacity stadium and fans are tired of them constantly winning the champions league
    I hate that f*ing version of me living in that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Unreal photos - and of course a serious look back in time.

I still think this is the most awe inspiring photo of space - the Eagle Nebula (the Pillars of Creation). This was taken with the Hubble so heaven knows what a shot with the Webb would look like!

The Pillars of Creation  NASA
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I still think this is the most awe inspiring photo of space - the Eagle Nebula (the Pillars of Creation). This was taken with the Hubble so heaven knows what a shot with the Webb would look like!

Looks like the Universe is getting ready to give the finger
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Here is the original photo before colourisation

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    bobmunro said:

Here is the original photo before colourisation

Still pretty impressive!
  • Options
    Galaxy Cluster SMACS 0723

Stephan’s Quintet

Southern Ring Nebula

Carina Nebula

Wow, that's beautiful. Especially carina nebula
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Its the sizes that are incomprehensible. The pillars are around 5 light years high so bigger than the distance between our sun and the nearest star. 

Fascinates and boggles my mind at the same time!
  • Options

Each dot a galaxy, that contains billions upon billions of stars with solar systems like our own. Worlds with breathtaking sunrises and sunsets, mountains and valleys. If they have or had intelligent life, all the stories and histories and empires that have come and gone. 

Truly humbling. Remember - you're made up from the same atoms that are in these stars. You are the universe experiencing itself. You are both incomprehensibly small and incomprehensibly big. 
  • Options
    Amazing to get a better look at what he created on the 4th day. What a guy.
    Monty Python stoning - Imgflip
  • Options

Stephan’s Quintet

Southern Ring Nebula

Carina Nebula

I was just thinking what a lovely name that would be to christen a girl….first name Carina, middle name Nebula.