Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

Comments

• Options
    Okay I give up, is it a star or a planet? 
    It’s a planet, but really far, far away!
  • Options
    The hawking theory about black holes is the most profound and enlightening thing I’ve ever heard. If you can get your head round it then if black holes absorb energy and have a temperature then they decay and information goes somewhere. New universe? 
  • Options
    It's big. Very very big.
  • Options
    When they say the universe is expanding, I always think about the space it expands into ... what's that like?

I've read this explanation but by brain hasn't got the necessary cells to comprehend.

The expansion of the universe is the increase in distance between any two given gravitationally unbound parts of the observable universe with time. It is an intrinsic expansion whereby the scale of space itself changes. The universe does not expand "into" anything and does not require space to exist "outside" it.

Anyway, I still struggle with filling spaces on the football field 442, 343, 5 across the middle?  I'll deal with this first before I move on to the Cosmos. 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Space is extraordinarily fascinating, terrifying, awestricking and bewildering at all once. 

Show me someone who truly believes that in that impossibly vast, completely unfathomably, infinitely varied universe, filled with trillions upon trillions of stars, each with their own planets and each planet with it's own ecosystem, atmosphere and resources, that we are alone and no other life exists, and I'll show you a fool
    You never know, there might be someone, or some thing, out there that knows when to use "its" and when to use "it's".
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave2l said:
    bobmunro said:
    Ross said:
    The fact we know more about space than we do about what’s under our own oceans both intrigues me and terrifies me at the same time…
    Do we?

We know very, very little about the universe.

Dark matter and dark energy.

We still don't have an answer and probably never will.

Dark energy is basically just an opposing force of gravity, where the net force certainly doesn't equate to 0
    We know very little, but we know a lot about what we don't know!
    Thank you, Donald Rumsfeld.
  • Options
    Question:

Has that motor found anything on Mars yet?
  • Options
    What about your predictions for the future? For me:

Next manned Moon landing 2025
    Human lands on Mars 2038.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Chinese try to beat the US to either one. 
  • Options

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Chinese try to beat the US to either one. 
    The Chinese will get there first. 
  • Options
    Cornwall soon to enter the space race with a horizontal launch solution. Not sure I like the sound of that. 

https://spaceportcornwall.com/

• Options
    If all the spacefaring nations worked together we could probably put a human on Mars in the next ten to twenty years. However competition itself seems to drive space exploration just like it did in the time of empires. Either way it would be incredible to see in our lifetimes.
    We could probably put a man on Mars now. Getting him back is the problem. 
  • Options
    Cornwall soon to enter the space race with a horizontal launch solution. Not sure I like the sound of that. 

Mmmmm that might explain some MOD activity that is happening in Watergate Bay what sits just below Newquay Airport. We were in Cornwall last week and we considered staying in an apartment in Watergate Bay however the letting agent said we must be prepared for some disturbance from the MOD who have set up a site in the large hillside car park.

We did see the set up when we went to Watergate Bay and it looked very strange. 
  • Options

Let's hope that they point the bloody thing in the right direction...
  • Options

That's a 'car'.
  • Options
    If all the spacefaring nations worked together we could probably put a human on Mars in the next ten to twenty years. However competition itself seems to drive space exploration just like it did in the time of empires. Either way it would be incredible to see in our lifetimes.
    Not if it's Southall
  • Options

It's a suicide mission anyway. They would have to accept there's no return.

I'm sure they will be mentally and physically trained to the core, but I doubt it would be enough.

Most likely to be an absolutely overwhelming experience and they will be going insane. 

The human body will not be able to adapt quick enough and it will struggle to cope. 

After a few weeks, they will all probably want to die

• Options
    I don't profess to understand it all but love all the stuff that Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalili, Maggie Aderin-Pocock, etc. do for the BBC. Astronomy is on my list to find out more about when I eventually get to retire.

The leaps in video technology have made it so much more accessible than it was when I was a kid. 
    Maggie A-P is superb. And to think that as a kid she was inspired to do what she has by The Clangers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

I'm sure they will be mentally and physically trained to the core, but I doubt it would be enough.

Most likely to be an absolutely overwhelming experience and they will be going insane. 

The human body will not be able to adapt quick enough and it will struggle to cope. 

Conceptually it takes quite a bit to get your head around.  I’m not great on physics, but given that Mars has less gravitational force than earth, would there not be a chance of providing the rocket/transport with the necessary capabilities to get back?

I would be surprised if space agencies haven’t already thought this through and it is possible 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Dave2l said:

Conceptually it takes quite a bit to get your head around.  I’m not great on physics, but given that Mars has less gravitational force than earth, would there not be a chance of providing the rocket/transport with the necessary capabilities to get back?

I would be surprised if space agencies haven’t already thought this through and it is possible 

They probably have, 

I think it would be a lot easier for them to adapt if it was a gradual process.

2-4 years travelling to mars will cause their bodies a lot of long term damage. 

I think the skeletal structure relies on earth's gravity.

Basically, they will rapidly evolve into aliens!

• Options
    It makes more sense to send Robots to Mars than humans. 
  • Options
    It makes more sense to send Robots to Mars than humans. 

Imagine if you said that at an elon musk, Jeff bezos and friends boardroom meeting.

They all go silent, look at each other and just nod their heads. Followed with a...

"Why the f*ck didn't we think of that?" 

Extreme intelligent robot Mars population - is the way forward.

The goal and ambition will be for the robots, is to make the atmosphere denser but with more oxygen.

Release those greenhouse gases...plant trees, build storage space, mine for water traces and search for water vapour in the atmosphere.

But most importantly, name a few of the robots Dave, call one of them sir Chris Powell, and give a few robots some nice tits.
  • Options
    The robot idea does make more sense. Would be good if they were still bipedal and had that irobot Hollywood film sort of intelligence
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Are you talking about going to Mars or Charlton?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    The robot idea does make more sense. Would be good if they were still bipedal and had that irobot Hollywood film sort of intelligence
    Yes, it would be good until they declare war on us! :)
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    cabbles said:
    Dave2l said:

They probably have, 

I think it would be a lot easier for them to adapt if it was a gradual process.

2-4 years travelling to mars will cause their bodies a lot of long term damage. 

I think the skeletal structure relies on earth's gravity.

Basically, they will rapidly evolve into aliens!

Yes, good points.  
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Yes, it would be good until they declare war on us! :)
    This was my first thought..... I've watched too much Sci Fi!
  • Options
    I don't profess to understand it all but love all the stuff that Brian Cox, Jim Al-Khalili, Maggie Aderin-Pocock, etc. do for the BBC. Astronomy is on my list to find out more about when I eventually get to retire.

The leaps in video technology have made it so much more accessible than it was when I was a kid. 
    The interest for space is fairly new on me too.

Brian Cox is in Auckland in Feb and I’ve got a ticket.

Just can’t make the same mistake as when I went to see Richard Dawson a few years ago. Having 5-6 pints prior to the show spoiled it. Couldn’t focus on his deep conversations.