Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I’ve had the pleasure of seeing the Milky Way in all it’s glory from a mates yard in the countryside of Australia with no light pollution. Takes your breath away. Wish I still had the photos but I fried my hard disk! I get some good views of the constellations on an early morning start here in Orpington, bit of Hans Zimmer playing on the headphones adds to the theatrics.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Love the engineering of space flight, have an alert that tells me when the ISS is visible, when passing overhead. 
    Just look up NASA and it leads you to the ISS. A bright dot of light that splits the sky in under 4mins!

I love that we got to the moon with men/women using slide rules!

Have visited the Kilder Observatory in Northumberland, a real must for a stargazer, the only dark sky observatory in Europe
  • Options
    Love the engineering of space flight, have an alert that tells me when the ISS is visible, when passing overhead. 
    Just look up NASA and it leads you to the ISS. A bright dot of light that splits the sky in under 4mins!

Have visited the Kilder Observatory in Northumberland, a real must for a stargazer, the only dark sky observatory in Europe
    100%
  • Options
    For those of you with an interest in moon landings and the Apollo program I can highly recommend the podcast below.

BBC World Service - 13 Minutes to the Moon, Season 1: The Apollo 11 story
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    I’ve had the pleasure of seeing the Milky Way in all it’s glory from a mates yard in the countryside of Australia with no light pollution. Takes your breath away. Wish I still had the photos but I fried my hard disk! I get some good views of the constellations on an early morning start here in Orpington, bit of Hans Zimmer playing on the headphones adds to the theatrics.
    It’s best to watch when it’s new moon, right? Even less light pollution.
    I went to Lake Tekapo in Feb. Perfect night, but the moon did cause some light pollution.
  • Options

100%
    It’s my understanding that there was probably more technology in mobile phones than there was the first rockets that took man to the moon 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

100%
    It’s my understanding that there was probably more technology in mobile phones than there was the first rockets that took man to the moon 
    Probably not far from the truth, have a listen to season one of the podcast I linked, you will be hooked in and believe me when the landing takes place you feel like you are in mission control with the team. The live recordings of the actual astronauts and mission control staff are superb. The BBC at its best.  
  • Options
    I was treated to an Omega Speedmaster for my 60 birthday, On the reverse it says " Certified by NASA for manned space flight".... Do i get a buzz when i wear it!
  • Options
    I was treated to an Omega Speedmaster for my 60 birthday, On the reverse it says " Certified by NASA for manned space flight".... Do i get a buzz when i wear it!

• Options

I was out last winter walking the dogs on a clear dark night and was astounded to see the Milky Way for the first time ever with the naked eye. Truly an astounding and awe inspiring sight.

Just two nights later I saw the the Space X Starlink satellites passing overhead. Also an incredible sight.

My love for all things space started when my parents got me out of bed to watch the Apollo 11 moon landing as a 7 year old.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Today marks the 52nd anniversary of Apollo 12's largely forgotten Moon landing.

The diminutive astronaut Pete Conrad became the third person to walk on the Moon and his chosen words were:-

"Whoopie! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me."

• Options
    Very interesting points on here about the challenges of putting a human on Mars (and bringing them back). There always seem to be vague projected mission dates that then get put back further; I wonder if we will see it in our lifetimes.
  • Options
    Spot the ISS, 
    22 November 2021, 18.20hrs  Visible 3mins Max Height 41 (deg) Appears 10(deg) above SW disappears 41(deg) South. 
    Looks like it will be clear, the above details are correct for Greenwich.

If you haven't seen it before, bright dot of light, no navigation lights (i.e. blinking red/greeen).
    and travelling really fast across the sky.

Good viewing!!
  • Options
    If you download the Skyview app all you need to do is open it, point it at the sky and it will identify any stars/planets that appear on your screen. An addition to this is it plots the space station's orbit with a dotted line on the screen. So not only can you tell when it will be above you you will also know where to look.

I have this on my iPad which offers a bigger screen. I often take it in the hot tub with me, lay back and study the stars whilst sipping a cold cider.  
  • Options
    Recently discovered white dwarf star the size of Earth spins on itself every 25 seconds.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/high-speed-propeller-star-fastest-spinning-confirmed-white-dwarf
  • Options
    cabbles said:

A kilometer tall cliff on a comet 
    Funny how it looks familiar, yet alien at the same time.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The quality of images now is just amazing.  I am hooked on the panoramas coming from the red planet at the moment.  You can almost imagine being there, if you ignore your blood boiling and your body imploding.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

The quality of images now is just amazing.  I am hooked on the panoramas coming from the red planet at the moment.  You can almost imagine being there, if you ignore your blood boiling and your body imploding.
    I think it was Brian Cox’s Planets doc a couple of years back where they show footage of the planets from the 70s.  Mental how far technology has come to give us what we see today.  Mind blowing the depth and understanding we’ve got about moons 2.5m km away.

that Daniel & Jorge podcast I listen to covered the biggest known  mountain in the universe.  Like the image above, it’s on a comet/meteor.  We live in an absolutely bonkers existence 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another Christmas miracle? 

The James Webb Space Telescope is to finally launch tomorrow.  It will be able to look back 13.5 billion years in time to see the faint infra red light from the first galaxies. 

Christmas day is probably not a good time to watch a live Youtube stream ... but it's here if you want it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nT7JGZMbtM
  • Options
    cabbles said:

If you look carefully you can see where the Soup Dragon lives!
  • Options
    Another Christmas miracle? 

The James Webb Space Telescope is to finally launch tomorrow.  It will be able to look back 13.5 billion years in time to see the faint infra red light from the first galaxies. 

Christmas day is probably not a good time to watch a live Youtube stream ... but it's here if you want it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nT7JGZMbtM

100 times more powerful than the Hubble.

Cost 10 billion to make

Says it should be able to detect light waves from 750 million years after the big bang

Will probably be able to see patches of old mega sized stars. 

I hope it makes a lot of interesting discoveries. 

Basically travelling back in time 
  • Options
    If you can't wait for the telescope launch here is what's coming up:

The 12 most sorely missed chocolates and sweets you cant get any more -  Mirror Online

• Options
    edited December 2021
    About 20 minutes to launch from French Guiana.
    If interested it can be watched on You Tube television.
    The commentary team for the last half hour have had to fill the waiting time, which they have done brilliantly given how unusual such an event is.
  • Options
    3mins
  • Options
    Very very impressive.
    Hooray for international cooperation.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Don't count your extremely expensive space chicken quite yet! 
  • Options
    Fair point.
    Fingers crossed chickens ignored.