Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Space Thread

Comments

• Options

I am as certain as I can be that somewhere out there intelligent life forms exist……..there are billions upon billions of planets and galaxies.
    To think that we are the only life form is simply inexplicable.
    There are several things that I know will become factual in years and generations to come…..sadly I won’t be around to see any of them discovered. Extra terrestrial life forms being one of them…….what a day that will be for the human race, how I would love to be there to see it…….sigh.🙁
  • Options
    Galaxy Cluster SMACS 0723

Stephan’s Quintet

Southern Ring Nebula

Carina Nebula

I was just thinking what a lovely name that would be to christen a girl….first name Carina, middle name Nebula.
    Do you live in Hampstead?
  • Options
    Amazing to get a better look at what he created on the 4th day. What a guy.
    The good Lord weren't dicking around!
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    In the first picture in particular, each one of those dots are galaxies and contain trillions of stars.  Really strikes home the enormity of creation.
    And if there are an infinite number of parallel universes there is one where Charlton have a 90,000 capacity stadium and fans are tired of them constantly winning the champions league
    Unfortunately, they'll also be one the same for the Scum and another for Parlarse.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I am as certain as I can be that somewhere out there intelligent life forms exist……..there are billions upon billions of planets and galaxies.
    There are several things that I know will become factual in years and generations to come…..sadly I won’t be around to see any of them discovered. Extra terrestrial life forms being one of them…….what a day that will be for the human race, how I would love to be there to see it…….sigh.🙁
    I agree it is inconceivable that intelligent life does not exist elsewhere. The problem is that we are not likely to find it because of distance and time. When you consider how long our civilisation has been detectable for it is no time at all and now we are well on the way to killing ourselves off. Then linked to that, you have time. There has to be an alignment of sorts to find the evidence.

Then we look at life on earth. Why are we intelligent? Life just wants to be successful, it doesn't matter about intelligence. We are intelligent because it has given us the advantage and allowed us to be dominant but with another set of circumstances, being big or strong or being able to multiply quickly may trump inelligence. We have only ourselves to go on so it is difficult to know.

The sheer vastness tells us that there may be intelligent life now or in recent times (relative to the age of the universe) and there will be almost certainly have been before and will come after. But the odds are on our paths never crossing. 
  • Options
    Also, are we actually intelligent? Compared to things around us we are, like worms and fish and birds and cows, but universally? We're possibly incredibly low down in the intelligence spectrum. Maybe another far more advanced lifeform knows about us, and looks at our tiny floating rock with its miniscule satellites and things revolving around it, and deems us not a threat in any way whatsoever 
  • Options
    There is another theory mooted that if a superior race detected us they would avoid us at all costs. This is based on the fact that in human history, every time a more advanced people have met a less advanced people it has resulted in the near destruction of the latter in every case.
  • Options
    There is another theory mooted that if a superior race detected us they would avoid us at all costs. This is based on the fact that in human history, every time a more advanced people have met a less advanced people it has resulted in the near destruction of the latter in every case.
    They would avoid us (the less advanced race) because history suggests they would cause our near destruction?
    well that’s good to know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://reddit.com/r/space/comments/vys73z/where_in_the_night_sky_exactly_are_the_cosmic/

“Where in the night sky exactly are the “cosmic cliffs” from the JWST Carina Nebula images? I made an animation to show the immense detail and scale!”
  • Options
    how would they know that is our history ?

what if their history was to share their knowledge ?
  • Options

I agree it is inconceivable that intelligent life does not exist elsewhere. The problem is that we are not likely to find it because of distance and time. When you consider how long our civilisation has been detectable for it is no time at all and now we are well on the way to killing ourselves off. Then linked to that, you have time. There has to be an alignment of sorts to find the evidence.

Then we look at life on earth. Why are we intelligent? Life just wants to be successful, it doesn't matter about intelligence. We are intelligent because it has given us the advantage and allowed us to be dominant but with another set of circumstances, being big or strong or being able to multiply quickly may trump inelligence. We have only ourselves to go on so it is difficult to know.

The sheer vastness tells us that there may be intelligent life now or in recent times (relative to the age of the universe) and there will be almost certainly have been before and will come after. But the odds are on our paths never crossing. 
    Fortunately.  Imagine something advanced enough to find us and turn up on our doorstep, how long would we survive?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    The statistics are staggering.

Considering only more or less 200 years ago, the human race knew next to f*ck all about space...and now the depth of knowledge is accelerating and will continue to rapidly get more advanced.

I can't even imagine the full scale of discoveries within the next 50/60 years.

It's only going to get better
    Makes you wonder what they would find with current tech, the tech on the James Webb is over 20 years old !. We were still on Nokia 3210s then.
  • Options
    Live feed for the launch of the giant space rocket Artemis - due in about 5 hours time - all being well.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-coverage-of-nasas-artemis-i-mission-to-the-moon

Seems a lot of fuss just to launch Shaun the Sheep into space.

• Options
    I’ve been waiting for this week since I was seven. Back to the moon 🌚 then on to Mars and the outer solar system. Even with mannequins this will be spectacular!

The next ten years will rival the 60’s in terms of wonder (only with crap music and a dire economy).
  • Options
    Delayed Kick-off
  • Options
    Yet another flight cancellation this summer 🙄
  • Options
    I saw Brian Cox live at the o2 last night.  Class.  He was joined by his co-host from the Infinite Monkey cage, Robin Ince. 

He talked about black holes and the latest papers looking at the black hole information paradox.  I won’t embarrass myself trying to explain it, but quite mind blowing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read a book by Brian Cox whilst on holiday simplifying Quantum Physics. It made me more confused in all honesty. Stuff like a grain of sand in a matchbox stays in the matchbox but there is a very remote chance it could appear somewhere else. So remote it won't happen but it could! I think that was one of the points.
  • Options
    On the subject of black holes, not sure if this had ever been posted but here you go:

https://youtu.be/ioR5np1fmEc
  • Options
    I read a book by Brian Cox whilst on holiday simplifying Quantum Physics. It made me more confused in all honesty. Stuff like a grain of sand in a matchbox stays in the matchbox but there is a very remote chance it could appear somewhere else. So remote it won't happen but it could! I think that was one of the points.
    He covered that Mutts because quantum entanglement has a role in some of those papers he talked about.  Like you though, I found it hard to understand.  With all these things, I have a good grasp of it up to a certain point, but I believe you need to be able to understand physics, equations and numbers if you truly want to get to grips with it.  However, the way he, and others have helped make it more accessible and mainstream is superb.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Yes, I was sort of on the edge of understanding bits of it thanks to the book. Which is an achievement as it is blow your mind stuff. But the more you know the more aware of how much you don't know, hence being more confused.
  • Options
    Is there life out there? 

Maybe might be something that cant emit or absorb light waves. We wouldn't be able to see it with the naked eye. Even if it could independently move around with its use of control. 

I can imagine a slug shaped creature. Doesn't produce protein synthesis of any kind of famiarity to what we know from earth. Something completely different. "DNA" is the alien for them. 

Simply just a moving creature that is fuelled with potential energy, for the requirement of kinetic energy. Where they get the energy from...who could possibly know. 
    They might use internal renewable energy and do not rely on anything, such as a nearby star or another source, or anything at all.

They all might live forever and they can't die 

One of them might be called dave 

• Options
    It would be handy if we could eat them.  
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    NASA due to crash spaceship into asteroid soon, to explore impact of trying to divert an asteroid on a collision course with earth 
  • Options
    Some people might think that the idea of testing to see whether an asteroid's path can be diverted by crashing a spaceship into one that isn't heading towards earth to start with is a bit risky. 
  • Options
    150 meters across and seven million miles away.
    Beat that Rory McIlroy.