Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• LenGlover said:
    Adkins is no better than Lee Bowyer was as a manager in my view and the usual suspects wanted Bowyer sacked.
    I'm sure we can find a successful replacement eventually?
  • Belv said:
    Adkins can't turn this around in my opinion.

If we was in games, and just lacking that little bit of quality I'd be more inclined to give him time.

However, the manner of defeats are alarming. You can argue "we're only 7 games in" but we have lost 5 of them and bar 15 minutes against Cheltenham haven't looked remotely competitive in any of those games.

Yes, we beat Crewe but I think that says more about them than us and if Barry Bannan hadn't missed an absolute sitter we would have been looking at 6 defeats from 7.

Let's not forget about the dismal League Cup performance either.

When you're 7 games in and already getting desperate enough to drop 3 or 4 players from the squad completely and then have a good chunk of an away end calling for your head, you're just delaying the inevitable. There is no coming back from it.
    This.  It’s scary how bad we are, I got lol’d for this a few weeks ago but we are only 5/10 games away from a relegation battle should this continue.
    You haven’t learnt your lesson then
  • Was not keen on appointment of Adkins Sheff Utd fans I know said he just talks a load of bullshit think said that on here when he was appointed. 
    The thing with me is how obvious things are his not changing waiting to half time then still not changing. That’s what I liked about curbs and bowyer they spotted stuff and changed it
    adkins has had 7 games one success playing 442 ok could say against a poor Crewe but we had more shots on target in that one game than the other 6 put together. Then he went back to to 4231 which isn’t working because our target man is isolated. 
     apart from the Crewe game we have had stockley up front with 2 wide players and all these 3 players are to far apart  and isolated being easily marked out the game when we have the ball they are all marked so we end knocking ball to stockley as our only option he has at least 2 defenders on him and even if he wins the ball normally has no one to pass too. 
    So we have basically 3 players out of the game and there is no restbite for the rest of the team because the ball just comes straight 
    Adkins made 6 changes Saturday and basically played same tactics again which says he blames the players we got same result as the  other fixtures but worse we had a midfield 2 which people say you can’t play with in today’s game because it’s not strong against  5. So if 442 is not playable against a 5 man midfieldi so how would  343. 
    Adkins main transfer target was stockley he is know hinting he his dropping stockley as he is the problem now. It’s so obvious stockley needs a partner. He can’t play on his own
    to me we  need 2 players up top end off 
    I think we should play
    532 with wing backs 
    4312 I think Lee in the number 10 role roaming anywhere would work well 
    I think I said last 2 games If Adkins plays stockley up front on his own he should be sacked thick he’ll drop stockley and play same tactics again and we will get same result
    he just doesn’t have the flexibility in tactics like Robinson 
  • It's as much about the performances as the results for me

If we somehow win tomorrow because Gillingham are terrible and we are merely slightly less terrible, all that would do is paper over the cracks until we play a half decent side
    Yep, me too.

The lack of performance, desire, enthusiasm from players - let alone set up and gameplan, are the warning siren for me.

I quite like Mr Adkins, his positivity and bonhomie. 
    But it's a results game - and we ain't getting results either.

Dear Nige, you've either got to turn it round PDQ or it's au revoir mate.

• esseffect said:
    Belv said:
    Adkins can't turn this around in my opinion.

If we was in games, and just lacking that little bit of quality I'd be more inclined to give him time.

However, the manner of defeats are alarming. You can argue "we're only 7 games in" but we have lost 5 of them and bar 15 minutes against Cheltenham haven't looked remotely competitive in any of those games.

Yes, we beat Crewe but I think that says more about them than us and if Barry Bannan hadn't missed an absolute sitter we would have been looking at 6 defeats from 7.

Let's not forget about the dismal League Cup performance either.

When you're 7 games in and already getting desperate enough to drop 3 or 4 players from the squad completely and then have a good chunk of an away end calling for your head, you're just delaying the inevitable. There is no coming back from it.
    This.  It’s scary how bad we are, I got lol’d for this a few weeks ago but we are only 5/10 games away from a relegation battle should this continue.
    You haven’t learnt your lesson then
    What lesson?  I don’t know which part of it is funny, enlighten me please.  If it’s about the relegation battle which we could potentially be in should our form continue in this way for the next say, 7 games, we’d look like this:

W2 D 2 L10

Is that relegation threatening enough or is it still funny?
  • Let’s name a few we all agree on then.

Akin Famewo - we all loved him last season no?  And was buzzing to get him back.  He’s been shite.

Matthews - another majority loved, championship he was good for us.  He’s been shite.

Kirk - one of the most exciting young names in this league, perhaps we can blame his personal issues, but he’s been shite.

Stockley - very good end of last season, buzzing also when we signed him, the majority were.  He’s been shite.

Morgan - appreciate he divided opinion even last season, but he’s been shite, he was never shite before.

So why all these players last season the most of us liked, been terrible this season?  What’s the common denominator?
    I would deduce  'Shite' is the common denominator.
  • edited September 2021
    Let’s name a few we all agree on then.

Akin Famewo - we all loved him last season no?  And was buzzing to get him back.  He’s been shite.

Matthews - another majority loved, championship he was good for us.  He’s been shite.

Kirk - one of the most exciting young names in this league, perhaps we can blame his personal issues, but he’s been shite.

Stockley - very good end of last season, buzzing also when we signed him, the majority were.  He’s been shite.

Morgan - appreciate he divided opinion even last season, but he’s been shite, he was never shite before.

So why all these players last season the most of us liked, been terrible this season?  What’s the common denominator?
    I would deduce  'Shite' is the common denominator.
    So you thought all of the above were “shite” in the periods specified above?  You’d of been in a tiny tiny minority my friend.
  • edited September 2021
    Didn’t The late great Jimmy Greaves once say “it’s a funny old game “ ? He was right. So far this season has been awful but things in football can change very quickly and unexpectedly. We go again tomorrow at a shitty venue where inevitably we do badly. Perhaps we need just a random piece of luck for things to happen. I still don’t believe Adkins has suddenly lost it. Things have just been shit. Shit happens. I’m predicting our luck turns. A one nil victory against the pikeys and a battling point v Pompey. 
    We have seen this happen a lot of times in football, quite often after a change of management. People can quote examples like Fergie but it is telling that was in the 80s. I do wonder why good managers find it hard to turn it round at a club, is it attitudes of players, fans or the general result of a lack of confidence that goes hand in hand with the malaise that can occur. It does feel that Adkins has to start winning quickly and I would suggest he tries to go all guns blazing. If you try to defend and avoid defeat, you just can't stop the brittle confidence resulting in defensive mistakes.
  • Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.
    Its almost like some of us want to go a goal down so we can get on his back.
    Genuinely can't believe how quickly people have turned in him, and the extent of the dislike.
    He has lost 5/7 after being given a hefty transfer budget in comparison to bowyer. 

I don’t dislike him, I think he is underperforming massively which as a football manager, increases the risk of losing the fans support
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.
    Genuinely can't believe how quickly people have turned in him, and the extent of the dislike.
    He has lost 5/7 after being given a hefty transfer budget in comparison to bowyer. 

I don’t dislike him, I think he is underperforming massively which as a football manager, increases the risk of losing the fans support
    The support from a few was waining after the first 3 games this season.
  • Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.

Also how much did Adkins get to spend in the transfer window?
  • The only way I can see him turning things around is to go 442.

However defensively  he has still got to stop the crosses coming, so he needs to play a solid midfield with a couple of quicker attackers so that we can brake quickly when we regain possession.

Can’t continue with Stockley in this system imho. 
  • Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.
    This is just my opinion…..But it’s the positively thing - these stupid Twitter posts. Now I’m all for being positive - particularly with what’s gone on at the club in the past, but all fans care about is results. everything he says is tripe - “trust you’ve all slept well”… yeah great nige, we are 2nd bottom in league one. “Make the most of the day everyone” what like you do in training - the results on the pitch don’t lie. “The birds are singing”  honestly who gives a shit? “Keep a smile on your face” of course nige, we’ve got loads to smile about. 

If you are going to talk a good game, you have to back it up - he isn’t able to do that. 
  • Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.
    This is just my opinion…..But it’s the positively thing - these stupid Twitter posts. Now I’m all for being positive - particularly with what’s gone on at the club in the past, but all fans care about is results. everything he says is tripe - “trust you’ve all slept well”… yeah great nige, we are 2nd bottom in league one. “Make the most of the day everyone” what like you do in training - the results on the pitch don’t lie. “The birds are singing”  honestly who gives a shit? “Keep a smile on your face” of course nige, we’ve got loads to smile about. 

If you are going to talk a good game, you have to back it up - he isn’t able to do that. 
    You youngsters need to spend less time on Twitter.

• clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.

I think I saw £1m all in including transfers and agents’ fees.  
  • It's almost time to start distinguishing between the Thomas Sangaard who saved the club, for which almost all of us are massively grateful, and the Thomas Sangaard who is now running the club (from afar) and seems to have created a situation where we were (possibly misguidedly) expecting a promotion push and instead we are in a real risk of being dragged into a relegation fight which seemed more like in the days of Duchatalet than now. He has brought with him a mass of goodwill but it is eroding rapidly.

I thought Adkins was a good appointment and still have lingering faith that all might be well. But something is clearly not right within the club and a win at Gillingham won't put that right.  We have three games in eight days. I think things will be a lot clearer after that ... I am just worried about what that clarity will bring. 
  • cabbles said:
    clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.

Blimey in this day and age I wouldn't even sign for £1 million.
  • Sponsored links:

• I want him GONE .. BUT if we get wins tomorrow and on Saturday, I am happy if he gets a stay of 'execution' .. Nigel, keep winning and keep your job
  • If puts the team out that VFR4life is predicting on the match preview thread it's curtains.  Adios Adkins .
  • I want him GONE .. BUT if we get wins tomorrow and on Saturday, I am happy if he gets a stay of 'execution' .. Nigel, keep winning and keep your job
     I'd prefer we give managers time. I want Nigel to stay and do well, but I'll understand if he does not. 

Why would I want more uncertainty and instability at this club?
  • edited September 2021
  • edited September 2021
    cabbles said:
    clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.

That's not in dispute.  Who spent it is. 
  • There was clearly a policy change regarding loan signings this summer, as the 4 loanees are all experienced players (Lee, Arter) or players we know already (Leko, Famewo), and of the 4, 3 come from Championship clubs, and the other from a PL/Championship yo-yo club. 

None of them are "Big 6" academy players, whereas previously we've regularly had such a player, some really successful, some disappearing without a trace. It's clearly been a policy change, to not bring in a Maatsen type of young pacey LB, or go after the likes of Troy Parrott
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.

That's not in dispute.  Who spent it is. 
    Cobbles was answering the question I asked.
  • I wouldn’t write off Wilder…
    You tease.... have you heard something or just your own opinion he may consider us ?!
    I’ve no idea what CEL meant but I suspect it might mean that Charlton for now at least are not a club he’d dismiss out of hand. I think a vision could be sold to him by TS. Having said that I can’t see him working with restraints on player identification and having full control over the football side of things. That would quite possible the Stumbling block.
    Dunno by the sounds of things he was prepared to work with Roland of all people, hasnt he admitted in recent interviews that he only needed to sign the Contract that was on the table. Only Sheffield United came in with an offer at the very last minute.

It would be ironic that Wilder hesitated under Roland Duchatelet because of not having enough say on transfers and we seem to be in the same position with Adkins under Thomas Sandgaard, and the Gallen/Roddy pecking order and when the manager comes into the equation ? 
    Nah.
    If you want him gone , you want him gone.
    None of this I want you gone BUT if you win 3 games I'll be singing your name from the rooftops.

• Is the actually a fact that Adkins didn’t get a say in identifying players brought in ? Haven't heard that before. If it’s true then all Adkins is, is a coach not manager. We’re stuffed until we get a true manager again. That’s going to upset the hierarchy applecart methinks. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!