Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Let’s name a few we all agree on then.

Akin Famewo - we all loved him last season no?  And was buzzing to get him back.  He’s been shite.

Matthews - another majority loved, championship he was good for us.  He’s been shite.

Kirk - one of the most exciting young names in this league, perhaps we can blame his personal issues, but he’s been shite.

Stockley - very good end of last season, buzzing also when we signed him, the majority were.  He’s been shite.

Morgan - appreciate he divided opinion even last season, but he’s been shite, he was never shite before.

So why all these players last season the most of us liked, been terrible this season?  What’s the common denominator?
    I would deduce  'Shite' is the common denominator.
    So you thought all of the above were “shite” in the periods specified above?  You’d of been in a tiny tiny minority my friend.
    You need to get a sense of humour and not miss the point my friend.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    I want him GONE .. BUT if we get wins tomorrow and on Saturday, I am happy if he gets a stay of 'execution' .. Nigel, keep winning and keep your job
    Nah.
    If you want him gone , you want him gone.
    None of this I want you gone BUT if you win 3 games I'll be singing your name from the rooftops.

Why?

I want him gone, but would welcome a stay of execution if he gets back to back wins.

Can’t see it for love nor money, but what’s wrong with that position?  
    We just chop and change then.
    One minute calling for his head and sacked in the morning the next minute chanting his name in support.

Well yeah, that’s kind of the nature of football and it’s fans, you get praised when we’re winning and slagged off when we’re losing. 
  • Options
    Controversial view I know, but if the Wycombe game had followed a couple of draws and a couple of wins I don’t think it would have been viewed as one of the ‘worst performances in years’, which many have been calling it. Yes I know it followed other poor defeats, but it still deserves to be analysed as a separate game. 
    We were poor yes, but for a struggling side up against a side who have recently recruited well after narrowly being relegated from the Championship it wasn’t a disastrous performance by any means. Particularly bearing in mind our issues in the transfer window. 
    Even now we’re still having to rotate players because of fitness issues, so we’re still some way off being a settled side. 
    Didn’t really see a lack of effort on Saturday either. Souare was flying in at every opportunity, Dobson and others too. I’m sure the players are desperate to be part of a winning side, does anyone really think they don’t?! It’s not like Adkins is making their lives a living hell so they want him out.
    I don't think he should be sacked while we’re still (shamefully) in a position where we’re finding our feet. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    I want him GONE .. BUT if we get wins tomorrow and on Saturday, I am happy if he gets a stay of 'execution' .. Nigel, keep winning and keep your job
    Nah.
    None of this I want you gone BUT if you win 3 games I'll be singing your name from the rooftops.

Why?

I want him gone, but would welcome a stay of execution if he gets back to back wins.

One minute calling for his head and sacked in the morning the next minute chanting his name in support.

Well yeah, that’s kind of the nature of football and it’s fans, you get praised when we’re winning and slagged off when we’re losing. 
    I've always saved the word Fickles for Palace fans.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clb74 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    clb74 said:
    Blimey.
    Its almost like some of us want to go a goal down so we can get on his back.
    Genuinely can't believe how quickly people have turned in him, and the extent of the dislike.
    He has lost 5/7 after being given a hefty transfer budget in comparison to bowyer. 

I don’t dislike him, I think he is underperforming massively which as a football manager, increases the risk of losing the fans support
    Also how much did Adkins get to spend in the transfer window?
    I think I saw £1m all in including transfers and agents’ fees.  
    That's not in dispute.  Who spent it is. 
    Cobbles was answering the question I asked.
    You asked how much Adkins spent........

The "club" spent about a million. 
    More than that. Stockley and Kirk were 900k
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Belv said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Controversial view I know, but if the Wycombe game had followed a couple of draws and a couple of wins I don’t think it would have been viewed as one of the ‘worst performances in years’, which many have been calling it. Yes I know it followed other poor defeats, but it still deserves to be analysed as a separate game. 
    We were poor yes, but for a struggling side up against a side who have recently recruited well after narrowly being relegated from the Championship it wasn’t a disastrous performance by any means. Particularly bearing in mind our issues in the transfer window. 
    Even now we’re still having to rotate players because of fitness issues, so we’re still some way off being a settled side. 
    Didn’t really see a lack of effort on Saturday either. Souare was flying in at every opportunity, Dobson and others too. I’m sure the players are desperate to be part of a winning side, does anyone really think they don’t?! It’s not like Adkins is making their lives a living hell so they want him out.
    I don't think he should be sacked while we’re still (shamefully) in a position where we’re finding our feet. 
    The Wycombe game didn’t follow a couple of draws and a couple of wins tbough, did it?

It followed one decentish performance and 5 dreadful ones. 

Which I said in my post.

We tend to build up a head of steam on here. A few good wins and we’re definites for the automatics, a few defeats and we reach for the pitchforks. 
    A few more and I might be reaching for mine as well, but not yet, not after the chaotic window which wasn’t down to him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Belv said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The Wycombe game didn’t follow a couple of draws and a couple of wins tbough, did it?

It followed one decentish performance and 5 dreadful ones. 

Which I said in my post.

We tend to build up a head of steam on here. A few good wins and we’re definites for the automatics, a few defeats and we reach for the pitchforks. 
    A few more and I might be reaching for mine as well, but not yet, not after the chaotic window which wasn’t down to him. 
    It’s not just results, we’ve been shite in every game. We lack energy and creativity. Losing 2-1 to Wycombe isn’t the end of the world, losing like we did is much worse. Beating one poor side is the concern. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    And Mumford’s sons have been put in charge of musical entertainment at The Valley. Just more nepotism. It’s nepotism all the way down, but no one’s talking about it.
    aint that name of a band?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Valley11 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sorry. But what a load of bs.
    That was a horrific performance. It absolutely was disastrous. Watch it back. There were periods where the players literally couldn’t string a pass together. Couldn’t defend our box. Couldn’t retain the ball when there was no pressure from an opposition player. No shots until that last minute false dawn when Wycombe stopped playing. It was disastrous, trust me. And it’s been that way since the season started. 
    Possibly, and yes, will try to watch it again. But the good spell at the end wasn’t last minute, it was ten minutes, although you could argue it sort of started when Blackett-Taylor came on, which was 27 mins from the end ? 👍
    And the first 20 we did well too. Surprisingly so. That was the feeling amongst the crowd where I was (right behind the goal.) It was sad that when that good spell ended we got on their backs, and you could see heads dropping.
    Anyway, my point is not so much that it hasn’t been shit, it largely has, but I’m not convinced at all that it’s down to one man. Are you?
    BTW I’ve unfortunately seen every minute of every game this season, including all but one of the streamed friendlies. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Nah.

Why?

I've always saved the word Fickles for Palace fans.
    I’ll take that if that’s the conclusion you’ve drawn cos you’re not too wrong.  In other news, water is wet.
  • Options
    What's there not to smile about if your NAD's? 
    Most people if they screw up in their job would be out during  their probation period with a months salary or if you run your own business / self employed your in serious trouble by now.NAD's if sacked gets a nice juicy payout from only working 6months of a 3yr contract. 

I'm grateful to Tommy for saving the club, but he's underestimated the challenge and clearly bought in people i.e Ged Roddy & Wayne Mumford who have made a mess of recruitment and the marketing of Charlton.

Time to take stock, get in a proper football CEO, and why not appoint Curbs on board along with proper football people who can help Tommy.It's all well and good, NADS & Tommy spouting "Positivity" but it wears thin when football is a results business and football is dire. Addick fans have had more than their fair share of a rough deal with crap owners, multiple relegations (8 for me) and dodgy managers to be bluffed i'm afraid this time around. 

Yes of course Lennie, Curbs, SCP times and Bows Wembley were the highlights but there have been more lowlights along the way and that's why NADS will be slaughtered in Kent tonight if we lose to Gillingham and hopefully out of the door quickly. Tommy I hope delays his flight back to USA and rolls up his sleeves up and gets on top of the mess we yet again find Charlton in. 
  • Options
    Big day for Nigel today. He has to win, nothing else will do. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Wycombe wasn’t the worst performance in years, Cheltenham was worse. That being said from seven matches this season alone we probably have two or three contenders for the all time top ten already!
  • Options
    addick1956 said:o
    ct_addick said:
    Feel for the guy in that he went thru preseason with half the U23's in the squad and now trying to bed in the new players due to the disastrous late transfer window strategy. Where I don't like him is the long-ball tactics and his inability to turn around a team going a goal down with a change in tactics. I give him the next 2 games and then assess our options. 
    And isn't  that the real problem. Being told to use yoofs while the money was withheld for decent players and then panic set in. 
    Is this really NA's fault ?
    It might not be but if the team fails he is seen to be the one responsible.
  • Options
    We have been told that Adkins is part of a team involved in recruitment. Because we don't know the percentage involvement of every member of that team, it is very difficult to 100% blame him. If say he approves a list, he has more responsibility than if players are landed on him. 

You can bring in decent players but ultimately the manager knows what he needs better than anybody else. Ultimately, we don't have that information. We do see a shambles though but it is difficult to accurately apportion blame. Mind you, Adkins must have signed up to whatever system we have. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Wycombe wasn’t the worst performance in years, Cheltenham was worse. That being said from seven matches this season alone we probably have two or three contenders for the all time top ten already!
    The first half v Cheltenham was the real shocker. I was expecting worse at Wycombe, a trouncing, which is perhaps why I didn’t see it as as bad a performance as some. 
    Time to step up today. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both were terrible performances given the context of being played in League One.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think it’s testament to how truly awful we’ve been this season that people are thinking we did quite well in the first 20 on Saturday just because we wasn’t played off the park.

We may not have been played off the park to begin with but we certainly carried no threat of our own.

From memory, I can’t think of a single decent chance or shot on goal in the entire first half.

Maybe the first 20 minutes weren’t quite as bad as previous weeks but that’s about it, it’s some push to say we did quite well.

• Options
    Both were terrible performances given the context of being played in League One.
    We should have learned by now that the level in L1 isn’t as bad as it once was. We can’t just waltz into the Championship because we’re Charlton. How many massively easy wins have we had in L1 in recent years? I can barely remember any if I’m honest. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The first half v Cheltenham was the real shocker. I was expecting worse at Wycombe, a trouncing, which is perhaps why I didn’t see it as as bad a performance as some. 
    Time to step up today. 
    It was a trouncing in everything other than the score line. 

An even 10mins and lively last 5mins aside we were completely outplayed for the other 80mins

If we’d have lost that 3-0 or 4-0 nobody could have complained 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Belv said:
    I think it’s testament to how truly awful we’ve been this season that people are thinking we did quite well in the first 20 on Saturday just because we wasn’t played off the park.

We may not have been played off the park to begin with but we certainly carried no threat of our own.

From memory, I can’t think of a single decent chance or shot on goal in the entire first half.

Maybe the first 20 minutes weren’t quite as bad as previous weeks but that’s about it, it’s some push to say we did quite well.

Only one, the shot from Leko that was on target, but was deflected into the side netting. Not a lot to shout about I know. Second half we scored and had two ‘cleared off the line’ (Davison hit defenders who were standing on the line). Would have been hilariously undeserved (over the 90) if we’d score twice in the second half. Was never going to happen. A draw would also have been totally undeserved, but that happens in football. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Time to step up today. 
    It was a trouncing in everything other than the score line. 

An even 10mins and lively last 5mins aside we were completely outplayed for the other 80mins

If we’d have lost that 3-0 or 4-0 nobody could have complained 
    I was about to argue that we’ve been the victims of misleading score lines when we’ve totally dominated for ninety minutes and come away with a narrow win, or a draw. But actually can’t think of one in recent years. Which reinforces my point that L1 isn’t a walk in the park, even for a well run club, which we haven’t been. 
    (But it was more than 10 & 5 btw, not that that really makes any difference. There were five mins of injury time for one thing, and it began when CBT came on in the 68th minute. He showed the rest of the team what could be done, and it gave them a real lift. Not arguing that we were great or even that we deserved to draw, but you don’t need to make it any worse than it already was lol)
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    We should have learned by now that the level in L1 isn’t as bad as it once was. We can’t just waltz into the Championship because we’re Charlton. How many massively easy wins have we had in L1 in recent years? I can barely remember any if I’m honest. 
    Plymouth Away in terms of games played was not that long ago
    True. There’s one then. 👍
  • Options
    This season we have stunk the place out.
    Gillingham this evening could be very grim, heavy handed police, tanked up lumpen Charlton fans, dreadful accommodation, cover of darkness, the real prospect of another thrashing….all the ingredients are there.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!