Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• I would bet on Varney sorting out the mess and possibly putting a few in their place.
    Would he really come back?
    It seemed a possibility with the other chap Barclay.
  • Yes, I would like to know what part Adkins played in player recruitment. Gallen clearly works with somebody then tries to get the deal done. He did this with Bowyer, but who is he working with in the current structure. What is Roddy's job? Is he able to interfere with the first team? These are questions we may think we know but it would be good to know for certain.
  • edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Is there anyone on here who can just outline the roles and responsibilities of Roddy, Gallen and Adkins?

Roddy’s role here Rob; 

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f7ec0d4cac2b/ged-roddy-mbe-appointed-as-technical-director and as far as I’m aware Gallen now does negotiations of new signings and Adkins first team coach/manager. However the Gang of Four (Sandy, Roddy, Gallen & Adkins) all had input into any new additions.

• If the Charlton job became vacant, there would be plenty of interest. Internal candidates like Jacko and Euell obviously, plus there are always out of work managers out there - Adkins came from nowhere for example. However the field is much wide than that

There are up and coming managers who've done well at smaller clubs, and might see Charlton as a step up, even if we are lower in the table. The likes of Michael Duff, Ryan Lowe or Paul Warne. Paul Warne for example knows that Rotherham will always be a yo-yo club, too small to survive in the Championship.

Plus there are also the talented young coaches who've made their name in academy football, and want to implement their methods in senior football. Blackpool for example went up under Neil Critchley, who had previously only worked in the Liverpool academy, MK Dons went for Liam Manning while Swansea previously appointed Steve Cooper who had worked in the Liverpool academy and England youth football.

• edited September 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Is there anyone on here who can just outline the roles and responsibilities of Roddy, Gallen and Adkins?
    Adkins - Team Manager
    Gallen - head of recruitment 
    Roddy - Jacob’s Dad
    Lol That's about it though.

There's 3 options as I see it -

Leave as is and show faith in Adkins.

Get a new manager in to work within the same structure in place now, and just try to salvage something this season.

Whole new clean slate, restructure the set up and look longer term. Maybe a new manager who don't mind kicking the teacups about.
  • Stockley reminds me a little of Santa Jr playing up front in an U11 game yesterday. Jr scored 5 goals in the first half (ok no similarities yet) but in the second half he had 3 defenders on him the whole time and almost no support which meant he didn't have a sniff of a chance. Isolated strikers without decent pace are just too easy to defend.
    Unless they are very clever. Lyle Taylor used to move towards the full back so it would harder to double up, as it would lead a huge gap down the middle of the pitch.
    We had a lot of attacks come down our right in the second halves of games in that promotion season.  Taylor was excellent at it.  Stockley’s just not capable.  He doesn’t run the channels either 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Adkins - Team Manager
    Gallen - head of recruitment 
    Roddy - Jacob’s Dad
    Lol That's about it though.

There's 3 options as I see it -

Leave as is and show faith in Adkins.

Get a new manager in to work within the same structure in place now, and just try to salvage something this season.

Whole new clean slate, restructure the set up and look longer term. Maybe a new manager who don't mind kicking the teacups about.
    I don't see the whole structure being wiped and rewritten mid-season. Changes made, yes, wholesale restructuring, no. I suspect that any changes will be more gradual than that.
  • edited September 2021
    RedChaser said:

TEL’s post earlier was bang on the money we’re not a FTSE or NASDAQ quoted entity needing a corporate structure. Yes by all means have a short, medium, long term business plan but the main priority atm is to win football matches and get out of the poxy 3rd Division!

Don’t try and run before you can walk, we don’t need a gang of four just a UK based CEO, a Team Manager and Chief scout (not of the Baden Powell variety 😉) to identify new additions. In other words get Varney or similar in, replace NADS and bin off Roddy.

Yes, it is being too clever. Sadly the reality is the opposite. You can and should strengthen weak structures of course but a 5 year plan is a joke and those that talk of it don't know what they are on about. Football is ultimately always a one year plan followed by another one year plan. A youth pathway to the first team policy is a joke as all you need to do is create the right standard of youth players who are better than your League One players (at this moment in time). It is all about structures, good people knowing and doing their jobs and improving year in year out. How these people can give this bull with a straight face is beyond me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Where's Russell Slade when you need him, with his "patient" approach .....
  • Off_it said:
    Where's Russell Slade when you need him, with his "patient" approach .....
    Like for like replacement with grinning Nigel.  
  • Croydon said:
    Chris Powell won't leave the England set-up,Wilder won't drop to our level, and nor would Hughton. Think some of our fans need a reality check on what sort of draw we are for players/managers.
    Hughton just got sacked by bottom of the championship.  It’s not out the realms of possibility that he ends up in league one.
  • Croydon said:
    Chris Powell won't leave the England set-up,Wilder won't drop to our level, and nor would Hughton. Think some of our fans need a reality check on what sort of draw we are for players/managers.
    Is Eddie Howe available?
  • edited September 2021
    Adkins can wave the white flag and try to get away with a draw on Tuesday or try to turn things around by factoring in we are playing Gillingham and not Barcelona. A good win and it could kick start things. The problem is, I am not expecting it and I suspect I am not alone in that.
  • RedChaser said:

TEL’s post earlier was bang on the money we’re not a FTSE or NASDAQ quoted entity needing a corporate structure. Yes by all means have a short, medium, long term business plan but the main priority atm is to win football matches and get out of the poxy 3rd Division!

Don’t try and run before you can walk, we don’t need a gang of four just a UK based CEO, a Team Manager and Chief scout (not of the Baden Powell variety 😉) to identify new additions. In other words get Varney or similar in, replace NADS and bin off Roddy.

Decent post.......for a change.
  • clb74 said:
    Croydon said:
    Is Eddie Howe available?
    Ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Decent post.......for a change.
    Harsh! 😞
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think Wilder would be the only out of work manager I'd consider to replace Adkins if it were to be done right now.

I still think the CEO position is the one that most needs resolving personally.
    This
  • edited September 2021
    The problem when considering whether Chris Wilder might be persuaded to join which I doubt is the thorny problem of management structure at The Valley. Wilder we can be sure would want total control and not be a bit part player in player identification. As much as he would be my choice if Adkins should go, I would think there is next to zero chance of Wilder if for no other reason than he’d be shackled by both Gallen and Roddy. He wouldn’t accept that.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I think Wilder would be the only out of work manager I'd consider to replace Adkins if it were to be done right now.

Not a hope he'd go to us
  • clb74 said:
    Gribbo said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    A few of them players of been here for 10 minutes.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    It is League One and we have been beyond shite!
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
    Wtf watches Charlton sober??????

😉

clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    A few of them players of been here for 10 minutes.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    It is League One and we have been beyond shite!
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
    for a second I had an image of you driving down the motorway while watching the game on your iPad
    Will make up for it tuesday.
    Get smashed fall asleep for 90 minutes then head home.

Sounds like you're talking about our 1st team.

• siblers said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Not a hope he'd go to us
    Agreed. No chance. 

I’d like Chris Hughton. He’s a good manager, despite how badly he did at Forest. Trouble is you’re never going to get someone with a perfect record so it might need to be someone who’s struggled recently. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!