Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Not has he lost the dressing room in which is evident as the players are not playing for him he has now pretty much lost the support of the fans. 
    Lose at Gillingham and it is game over 
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    A few of them players of been here for 10 minutes.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    It is League One and we have been beyond shite!
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
    for a second I had an image of you driving down the motorway while watching the game on your iPad
  • Can't see a single positive with our football at present. If that doesn't change soon how can NA stay on?

As soon as we concede we look beaten.
  • If you’re calling for Jackson and Euell to be sacked then you need to give your head a wobble. 

Two of the last Charlton people at the club and there’s absolutely zero evidence of them having anything to do with the poor form. I think everyone needs to take a long hard think about who they hound out of the football club, before it’s too late. 

I can feel the toxicity brewing, first it was Bowyer, now it’s Adkins, then it’ll be the backroom staff, then it’ll be Sandgaard. 

The phrase “Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater” comes to mind
    I don’t want them sacked but hang on. “Zero evidence of having anything to do with poor form” !!!!!!!!! They are the two first team coaches. I’m pretty sure that if they are not having anything to do with form then they deserve to be sacked. It’s their job to coach and improve the players. Are you currently seeing any evidence of that ?
    First team coaches do not pick the match day squads, choose the style of play, choose tactics, choose what subs to do and most importantly.. manage the game. 
    Screaming for them to be sacked or even be at fault is ridiculous
  • Addick_8 said:
    If you’re calling for Jackson and Euell to be sacked then you need to give your head a wobble. 

Two of the last Charlton people at the club and there’s absolutely zero evidence of them having anything to do with the poor form. I think everyone needs to take a long hard think about who they hound out of the football club, before it’s too late. 

I can feel the toxicity brewing, first it was Bowyer, now it’s Adkins, then it’ll be the backroom staff, then it’ll be Sandgaard. 

I don’t want them sacked but hang on. “Zero evidence of having anything to do with poor form” !!!!!!!!! They are the two first team coaches. I’m pretty sure that if they are not having anything to do with form then they deserve to be sacked. It’s their job to coach and improve the players. Are you currently seeing any evidence of that ?
    First team coaches do not pick the match day squads, choose the style of play, choose tactics, choose what subs to do and most importantly.. manage the game. 
    but do you not feel that sometimes they are too involved for any real changes to come from only sacking the manager?
  • I still think he’ll be given time. Certainly longer than the next two games which I’m confident won’t see two defeats. 
  • Gribbo said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
    Wtf watches Charlton sober??????

😉

clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    for a second I had an image of you driving down the motorway while watching the game on your iPad
    Will make up for it tuesday.
    Get smashed fall asleep for 90 minutes then head home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    If you’re calling for Jackson and Euell to be sacked then you need to give your head a wobble. 

but do you not feel that sometimes they are too involved for any real changes to come from only sacking the manager?
    I don’t think we’ll ever know. If we are going to sack Adkins I don’t see any harm in giving JJ ago. Something is seriously amiss at the moment but again, these players are shithouses and if they are ignoring NA they need to cop some of the flak Adkins is getting
  • Belv said:
    Belv said:
    Hope for his sake we win on Tuesday because the away end will turn vile, and he can’t walk down the tunnel cowardly in the same way he did yesterday as he’ll have to walk past our fans.

A defeat on Tuesday will surely end him. 
    To be honest, he should be gone before then.

When a large proportion of an away end are singing for you to be sacked, it’s almost impossible to come back from that. 
    History suggests otherwise. Even Guy Luzon went from public enemy number one to the messiah when we won a few games. 
  • If you’re calling for Jackson and Euell to be sacked then you need to give your head a wobble. 

Do they pick the team? Are they on the transfer committee? Do they make the final decisions? There’s no evidence for any of the above and they shouldn’t be held accountable for them.

Using this logic, Bowyer and Jackson should have been sacked alongside Robinson. They were coaching under a poor manager and when he goes we play some of the best football I’ve seen in years.
  • I agree with what’s been said above; if you could see patterns, shape and style being formed, I’d be advocating giving it more time.  As it is, there’s nothing to commend anything thus far- arguably it’s getting worse as we weren’t too bad for spells against SW 
  • Like Tel said, we are a club trying to be all things to all people, but have forgotten the most important bit, winning football matches.
    Players are appointed all these fancy titles for work they are doing "in the community" but they are not doing their jobs on the football pitch.
    Adkins is just a part of a structure that isn't fit for purpose.
    Players who are unfamiliar with eachother are being asked to play in systems and formations that they are unfamiliar with. It's a losing combination!
    Bob Bolder had it spot on yesterday, go back to basics, simple 4 4 2, start grinding out some results first, then you can start tweeking things.
    I hope Adkins turns it around obviously, but he's never come across as the type of manager who is successful at Charlton.
    In my lifetime, the successful ones have always been, fairly dour, strict, thoughtful, slightly withdrawn characters. The exception being maybe Riga, very briefly.
    The dream ticket for me would be Curbs with Brownie or possibly Bowen as assistant.
    The whole club needs to be reunited and put back on the correct track, and Sandy needs to learn quickly, what makes Charlton tick.
    Sorry, personally, I don't give two hoots about woman's football, I want full concentration and full resources going into what really matters.

Yes, Chris Powell fits that description perfectly 🧐
  • Gribbo said:
    Bournesnr said:
    All this talk of trouble in higher management ceo etc being the problem is just so much guff, the players train all week and when they cross the white line on a Saturday they should be focused on what they’re doing, nobody’s telling them to play like they are they’re clearly better players than their performances suggest they have to take responsibility for their own performances.
    Something clearly ain't right though is it and, as it is, it's impossible for the average fan to know exactly what it is. Quite a few people think the transfer window weren't the best, so then that would call into question the people who are responsible for that. 

Was Adkins brought in purely as a coach to look after the team and told that transfers were not in his remit? If so, where do you point the finger when new players are shit or don't gel or whatever? (2 of those signed this window were dropped yesterday) 

To me, Sandgaard is completely in the clear over this. He's stumped up funds and employed people to look after the technical side of things, so not sure what else he can do tbh
    Well surely by default he is responsible for the people employed? 

This is the danger of crawling too far up Tommy’s backside. He will believe the hype and potentially be even more unwilling to get the outside help be so obviously needs. 
  • My conclusion is that we should maybe have a 'Roddy out' thread. After all we know the recruitment problem is not Gallen.

To us fans it's all a bit of a mystery. I hope TS is talking to everyone 1-1 especially the players.
  • Like Tel said, we are a club trying to be all things to all people, but have forgotten the most important bit, winning football matches.
    Players are appointed all these fancy titles for work they are doing "in the community" but they are not doing their jobs on the football pitch.
    Adkins is just a part of a structure that isn't fit for purpose.
    Players who are unfamiliar with eachother are being asked to play in systems and formations that they are unfamiliar with. It's a losing combination!
    Bob Bolder had it spot on yesterday, go back to basics, simple 4 4 2, start grinding out some results first, then you can start tweeking things.
    I hope Adkins turns it around obviously, but he's never come across as the type of manager who is successful at Charlton.
    In my lifetime, the successful ones have always been, fairly dour, strict, thoughtful, slightly withdrawn characters. The exception being maybe Riga, very briefly.
    The dream ticket for me would be Curbs with Brownie or possibly Bowen as assistant.
    The whole club needs to be reunited and put back on the correct track, and Sandy needs to learn quickly, what makes Charlton tick.
    Sorry, personally, I don't give two hoots about woman's football, I want full concentration and full resources going into what really matters.

Yes, Chris Powell fits that description perfectly 🧐
    Not exactly prolonged success thought was it?
    I'd put the achievements of Lennie and Curbs way ahead of him.
    As much as I loved CP, his football towards the end was terrible. You are correct that he got off to a great start and of course, personality wise, a far more jovial character.
    I'd like a manager with longevity who can build us up, and then stick around 5-10 years, if that's even possible these days!
  • Sponsored links:

Do they pick the team? Are they on the transfer committee? Do they make the final decisions? There’s no evidence for any of the above and they shouldn’t be held accountable for them.

Using this logic, Bowyer and Jackson should have been sacked alongside Robinson. They were coaching under a poor manager and when he goes we play some of the best football I’ve seen in years.
    Logic doesn’t come into it. I’m not suggesting that either or both of Jonnie or Jason are to blame and should go but it’s obviously ridiculous to think they have no impact on the players form. If they don’t. Why the eff not. 
  • Stockley reminds me a little of Santa Jr playing up front in an U11 game yesterday. Jr scored 5 goals in the first half (ok no similarities yet) but in the second half he had 3 defenders on him the whole time and almost no support which meant he didn't have a sniff of a chance. Isolated strikers without decent pace are just too easy to defend.
    Unless they are very clever. Lyle Taylor used to move towards the full back so it would harder to double up, as it would lead a huge gap down the middle of the pitch.
  • edited September 2021

Logic doesn’t come into it. I’m not suggesting that either or both of Jonnie or Jason are to blame and should go but it’s obviously ridiculous to think they have no impact on the players form. If they don’t. Why the eff not. 
    Nobody has said they don’t have an impact on the players form. 

The point is we don’t know to what extent the impact they have, nor are they the ones in charge of the team. Until we know the facts, let’s not point fingers

Robinson wasn't sacked. He left because he thought the club was about to be sold (as if) and that the new owner would want a new manager, so he took a job which was perfect for him (Oxford being much nearer where I presume he lived as MKD manager). That he's still there 3 years later, and has reached the playoffs twice suggests he's doing a decent enough job at Oxford.

Also we were 9th in the table when he left, not 23rd. Bowyer did a brilliant job as manager, but if Robinson had been managing a side the next season which included the likes of Taylor, Bielik and Cullen, we would also have been very successful
  • Addick_8 said:

Of course coaches are involved in the tactics and style of play. Todays modern game involves studying the opposition weeks before the actual game following which coaches along with the management team drill the team in upcoming training sessions as to how to play against the opposition.

I know we don't look like we do but to say Jackson & Euell are not involved is just not true. If all Jackson & Euell are doing is monitoring the players running round the outside of the pitch for 10 laps to get their heart rate up we may as well ding them and save on the wage bill. 

Robinson wasn't sacked. He left because he thought the club was about to be sold (as if) and that the new owner would want a new manager, so he took a job which was perfect for him (Oxford being much nearer where I presume he lived as MKD manager). That he's still there 3 years later, and has reached the playoffs twice suggests he's doing a decent enough job at Oxford.

Also we were 9th in the table when he left, not 23rd. Bowyer did a brilliant job as manager, but if Robinson had been managing a side the next season which included the likes of Taylor, Bielik and Cullen, we would also have been very successful
    I take your point about him walking but I don’t believe for one second we would have been successful the following season with Robinson. 

For one, he wouldn’t have recruited the same players. Even if he started the season with the same squad, he’d have crammed players into a 4-2-3-1. A big factor in promotion was the management teams flexibility between 5-3-2 and the diamond. 

anyway, let’s not get into a debate around Robinson and the 18/19 season - nobody wants that! 
  • I just don't believe the inflexibility of our tactics and the static formation.

Our opponents set themselves up exclusively to overload their defenders on our centre forward.

But Stockley doesn't try to create space by dragging his markers out to the wing - or come deep and play as a midfielder for a while. Maybe he could start on the bench and come on late in the game. Or be paired with Davison - anything to confuse and surprise the opposition. Basic Sunday morning stuff!

I don't know if this is Adkins / Stockley / JJ / Roddys fault but TS has to find out and put things right.
  • edited September 2021

Nobody has said they don’t have an impact on the players form. 

The point is we don’t know to what extent the impact they have, nor are they the ones in charge of the team. Until we know the facts, let’s not point fingers
    Lol. I’m not pointing a finger at anyone. Tell me what a coach does though if it’s not improving players ? Fwiw. I’m pretty sure both would rather play 4-4-2 so I’m not blaming them for tactics or selection. That’s Adkins, but I’m sorry I can’t see how they don’t shoulder a small portion of the blame. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!