Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    We have a squad that should easily be top 6. The fact we are second bottom and lacking any style or attacking idea has to sit with NA.
    That squad has been together for 2 games.
    How do explain MK Dons for example, lost their manager the week leading up to the season, surely we should be five times as organised as them?
    We sack Adkins, how long are we the fans going to give the new manager before we get on his back?
    A lot longer if it’s Jackson or euell. Loads of time for any other manager if the team starts winning or even looks like it could start winning. 
  • As long as they have confidence in him/them. That is why giving the job to JJ or Euell makes sense, they either succeed or fail and if they fail you find somebody else. At our level, surely it is best to give managers the job on a trial basis. 
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    We have a squad that should easily be top 6. The fact we are second bottom and lacking any style or attacking idea has to sit with NA.
    How do explain MK Dons for example, lost their manager the week leading up to the season, surely we should be five times as organised as them?
    We sack Adkins, how long are we the fans going to give the new manager before we get on his back?

Fair point, but I guess the answer is we don’t because whoever it is gets the best out of a bunch that should be top six based on individuals.
  • clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    A few of them players of been here for 10 minutes.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    It is League One and we have been beyond shite!
  • I honestly think Adkins is the sole problem for our on field problems, the players don't seem to respect him and I believe that us struggling to get players through the door was down to him as well.

• clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    A lot longer if it’s Jackson or euell. Loads of time for any other manager if the team starts winning or even looks like it could start winning. 
    Adkins did that for ten games, 7 games later.......... 
  • clb74 said:
    Again.
    Probably only me, but a few games into the season and the players and manager already under pressure.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    Well ask yourself why then.
    We were supposed to blow the league away, we’ve spent big for league one, and there’s sides who had much more turbulence during the summer than us who are near the top of the league.

we’re not all over he likes of Cheltenham and getting sucker punched, we are being outplayed and outfought.
  • We have no plan, no shape, no identity. We do have the players though. So for me we need a change in leadership 
  • He had a mixed record before us and hasn’t managed for two years. Football changes quickly. He’s not up to the task. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I honestly think Adkins is the sole problem for our on field problems, the players don't seem to respect him and I believe that us struggling to get players through the door was down to him as well.

Agree the players don't respect him, but I thought Gallen and Roddy were there to identify new players and bring them in? If that ain't their role, does anyone really know what is?
  • clb74 said:
    Again.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    Make it 2 of us.
  • Gribbo said:
    I honestly think Adkins is the sole problem for our on field problems, the players don't seem to respect him and I believe that us struggling to get players through the door was down to him as well.

Agree the players don't respect him, but I thought Gallen and Roddy were there to identify new players and bring them in? If that ain't their role, does anyone really know what is?
    I mean players not wanting to play for him, nothing Gallen and Roddy can do if potential signings think the manager is a bellend
  • Adkins keeps saying he is telling the players not to knock it long to Stockley. Yesterday he said he told them pre match and again at halftime. We can all see that the long ball isnt working and if correct in that Adkins is telling the players not to do it then if I was him I would sub the first player that did it even if it was 2 mins into the game 
  • edited September 2021
    The issue is what options are there for them? If there aren't any, they knock it long. If there are, why are they not taking them. That is where you start surely.
  • AndyG said:
    Adkins keeps saying he is telling the players not to knock it long to Stockley. Yesterday he said he told them pre match and again at halftime. We can all see that the long ball isnt working and if correct in that Adkins is telling the players not to do it then if I was him I would sub the first player that did it even if it was 2 mins into the game 
    Yet they still do it. 
  • clb74 said:
    Again.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
  • AndyG said:
    Adkins keeps saying he is telling the players not to knock it long to Stockley. Yesterday he said he told them pre match and again at halftime. We can all see that the long ball isnt working and if correct in that Adkins is telling the players not to do it then if I was him I would sub the first player that did it even if it was 2 mins into the game 

I heard him say that which is what sets alarm bells ringing in my head.

If he is instructing them to not play long balls and they are disregarding that, it shows either the players don't respect him and are just point blank ignoring him or that they have no idea what tactics and style of play they are meant to be playing and just resorting to the easiest and simplest option of hoofing it 40 yards to the strikers. 

Both are pretty major issues in my view and both come down to the manager.
  • cafc999 said:
    AndyG said:
    Yet they still do it. 
    I think part of the reason is they aren't fit enough.  I don't think any of them are fit enough.  I don't think this is a new problem either, it's been the case for years and was briefly masked by some outstanding natural athletes. 

• Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Do we really have players that can play better? 

The general feeling last season was that we were playing awful turgid football - we put it down to Bowyer and playing to Stockley- but maybe, just maybe... We actually have shite players. We retained a fair few and shock, we're still playing shite. Who in the team is a "baller" Kirk and Gilbey with Morgan sometimes? 

Adkins should definitely be getting more out of them, but if it's like he's said about players not following instructions, players not playing how he wants then the blokes got no chance really. We've played some football in patches but revert to smash it to Stockley...

Honestly don't think he got the parts he wanted and needed in the window, but if the players aren't going to respond and play his way, then you gotta get someone in who will manage them to their level of ability. 
    I believe so.

Lets be clear, we were shite under bowyer because he had Oshilaja and Pratley as his centre halves for a massive chunk of the season.  He wasn’t without his faults, but he had excuses, Adkins hasn’t.

Think it all depends on just what/how Adkins is training them to play.  If he is trying to implement some sort of pressing pass and move then we definitely don't have enough quality in the squad for it.

Gunter, Matthews, Inniss, Lavelle, Famewo, Pearce, Purrington. 
    Watson, Dobson, Clare, JFC
    Stockley, Washington, Davisson 

Hardly screams technical, pass and move free flowing football. 

Kirk, Lee, Gilbey, Morgan have some ability and Leko, DJ CBT are Dynamic, but with injuries and form that's not enough.

Think Adkins is going to have to do what he did when he first took over and play to the strengths rather than re-invent Stockley's wheel.

Or, well, find someone who will....
    Are they any less technical than Cheltenham’s players? We only had 43% of possession and although we had a similar number of shots half of Cheltenham’s 16 were on target, only 1 of our 14 were.

The biggest difference is belief, confidence, the mentality. We don’t have a settled team but we’re not even trying to play decent football. Players are scared to make a mistake so they pump the ball long.

We need a manager to give them that confidence and freedom to play. It’s not coming from Adkins.
    Probably no less technical at all, but Cheltenham are a settled side, players, manager and footballing "style" I assume. One of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

You'd like to think that Captain positivity Adkins would be able to give the players the belief to stick to the game plan. It's just not happening for him and them. 

Not saying Adkins isn't blameless and wouldn't shed a tear if he was sacked tomorrow morning by the way.
  • AndyG said:
    If they do it, sub Stockley.

But actually, the long balls aren't the problem, it's his isolation. In the Crewe game we knocked 4 times as many balls long when compared to the Wigan game. The difference was we were playing 442.
  • AndyG said:

I heard him say that which is what sets alarm bells ringing in my head.

If he is instructing them to not play long balls and they are disregarding that, it shows either the players don't respect him and are just point blank ignoring him or that they have no idea what tactics and style of play they are meant to be playing and just resorting to the easiest and simplest option of hoofing it 40 yards to the strikers. 

Both are pretty major issues in my view and both come down to the manager.

Or players self belief? 

I mean, I cant believe Nige has said to NEVER hit it long to Stockley as yeah, that's then a complete disregard for management from the player's, I'd guess he says hit it long as a last resort if it ain't working, then it's down to the players own interpretation of "it ain't working". 

"Fck we've been passing it around for 20 mins and nothings happened yet, ummm stocks, on ye head" 

There's been times when you can see Adkins giving a "wtf" on the touchline.

• The issue is what options are there for them? If there aren't any, they knock it long. If there are, why are they not taking them. That is where you start surely.
    There's often not enough options ..... players are not showing for the ball, not enough movement and runs off the ball.

If you're a defender and you're being closed down and team mates are not showing or providing an outlet - then, yes of course you're going to go long, rather than be caught in possession.

• Didn’t TS want a “Charlton identity “ in terms of how the teams play from the kids right through to the first team ? I’m sure he knows that wont be achieved overnight and will require continuity in coaching from top to bottom but what he’s witnessing currently with the first team is a complete lack of identity and it looks like a complete lack of coaching too. How long Thomas is prepared to wait is the question. It was only a few short weeks ago that Adkins was the right man. I’m thinking that Thomas will give NA quite a lot more time before even considering a change.
  • edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafc999 said:
    AndyG said:
    Yet they still do it. 
    I think part of the reason is they aren't fit enough.  I don't think any of them are fit enough.  I don't think this is a new problem either, it's been the case for years and was briefly masked by some outstanding natural athletes. 

They are playing long balls from minute one so I doubt it's a fitness issue. There is no movement, plan or desire which comes from the management 
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Again.
    Its f@cking b@llocks.
    I know Muttley, I even had to watch yesterday s game sober because I was driving.
    Wtf watches Charlton sober??????

😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!