Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Give Adkins some time. It will come good. Was at Wycombe yesterday. Started OK but petered out after Wycombe started to control the game. As i said when a lot were calling for Bowyers head a large portion of blame should be at the players door. 
  • edited September 2021
    It is right fans are calling for Adkins to go and equally right he should be trying to change that. If it is not in his gift to change that, he ought to go. The problem with playing on Tuesday is the players will train today where a lot of time needs to be spent by the management team working out what is wrong and how it can be affected. If you look at the performances yesterday, if you remove the late subs, nobody can escape criticism/low scores so the failings are most likely team/tactical ones.
  • lonman said:
    Give Adkins some time. It will come good. Was at Wycombe yesterday. Started OK but petered out after Wycombe started to control the game. As i said when a lot were calling for Bowyers head a large portion of blame should be at the players door. 
    If Adkins can't get more out of these players however good or bad they are in the next few games then is it worth sticking with him? 23rd in L1 is a disaster.
  • edited September 2021
    Playing five at the back requires the full backs to get forward. If they don't it is a very back foot tactic. The sort of tactic you employ when your opponent is far superior to you.

If it isn't meant to be defensive, surely you change it when it isn't working. Again. you don't change it when you believe your opponents are far better than you.
  • Hal1x said:
    I can’t believe some still think TS delivered what he needed to in the transfer window. It’s a total case of denial.

Came on board to step up a level from RD and what do we get?

Clare (Oxford reject), Dobson (Sunderland reject), CBT (league 2 reject), Watson and Pearce renewed, Gunter renewed. 

Fuck sake it was a fucking horrendous window. Issue is I think he recognised it and tried to repair it with Leko but it was all too late and rushed. 

Adkins may not be the messiah and may be made to walk ….. but if he does he will be walking with a wince from being so royally fucked by Tommy Boy.
    We don't really know how any budgetary restraints set by TS hindered the recruitment, but the choice of players wasn't TS's, and he didn't manage the window. The manager and his team chose the players and thats where the buck stops. 
      Budgetary restraints and PL in 5 years,Europe in ten don't really go hand in hand though do they?

Unless you believe in magic beans and the tooth fairy!
  • edited September 2021
    We seem to have spent more money on players than we usually do but have played hardball with other players causing disquiet behind the scenes. 
  • We seem to have spent more money on players than we usually do but have played hardball with other players causing disquiet behind the scenes. 
    There are definitely problems at the club.
  • edited September 2021
    I have to say I’m coming round to the “Adkins Out” mindset despite the fact I have a feeling that he has been handed a weaker hand of cards than Guitar Boy gave him to expect.  Thomas’s wording of his tweet last night “…puts us in a difficult position” reads quite ominously to me.  I also think there must be some sort of disharmony at the senior management level that is destabilising things.  But I am astounded that so many  are calling him “yesterday’s man” at the same time as calling for the return of Curbs.  Much as I love the latter and am grateful for all he did. His role should now be the one he has - entertaining us all from the sidelines. I do wonder how much credibility Nigel has with the players.  We only get to hear his happy clappy stuff once in a while. The players presumably get it full on every day. I can’t believe they take him seriously. 

• Sponsored links:

• If we win 5-0 at the Gills on Tuesday then what? Nigel is king?!

People are so quick to rush through divorce in this age. 

At least give him 10 games!! (3 to go! Phew!) 
    So give him till the end of the month then. It hasn’t been terrible this season, but even if we do a job on Tuesday (this isn’t going to be false sense of belief-we had that against Cheltenham. At least got to get 5 points in the next three games to give us belief that we can do something this season.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I have to say I’m coming round to the “Adkins Out” mindset despite the fact I have a feeling that he has been handed a weaker hand of cards than Guitar Boy gave him to expect.  Thomas’s wording if his tweet last night “…puts us in a difficult position” reads quite ominously to me.  I also think there must be some sort of disharmony at the senior management level that is destabilising things.  But I am astounded that so many  are calling him “yesterday’s man” at the same time as calling for the return of Curbs.  Much as I love the latter and am grateful for all he did. His role should now be the one he has - entertaining us all from the sidelines. I do wonder how much credibility Nigel has with the players.  We only get to hear his happy clappy stuff once in a while. The players presumably get it full on every day. I can’t believe they take him seriously. 

Its a nonsense he is on Charlton TV every week. No manager would be happy with a former great manager of the club passing judgement on the current team on a platform run by the club. 
    I think Curbs is pretty diplomatic. It is hard not to be critical when you see complete rubbish. The thing is, Curbs looks in a good place and I would be amazed if he wanted to get into football management again at this stage of his life. As he is on the payroll, Sandgaard should absolutely use his knowledge though.
  • Great post Tel 
  • Pushing Pratley out. Not recognising his contribution on and off the pitch. Horrible error.
    I feel like the club couldn't afford (not financially, but in terms of age) to keep both him and Watson. Pratley would've been more use to us, but unfortunately our hands were tied because Watson activated his extension clause.

Will forever be grateful for his play off second leg goal and I'm pleased he's doing well at Orient, one of 4 ever presents for them and they're a much better side with him this season as shown by their league position. 
  • Players don’t become bad overnight do they. 

We all rated Stockley, Matthews etc under bowyer.  

We’ve spent decent money on decent league one players.  Not to mention some very capable loan players.  

The manager is the problem, clearly.
    When you think the players we’ve paid money for….Kirk and DJ weren’t even in the squad, Clare was on the bench and Stockley needs to come out. Not a brilliant reflection on the summer recruitment drive, is it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Not so sure he will get the sack ,it would appear Sandgaard doesn’t like paying out money for management or players.
    Glad to see the owner is over here for a longer stay this time.

Lots has to be sorted out in se7 and the side is not the main problem.
    People still think this? Tommy has spent a lot of money for a league 1 team, unfortunately, it doesn’t look wisely spent at the moment
    He has spent very little on management and Players . 
    That is what I said doesn’t like paying out money for management or players.
    Can not see him paying Adkins off and paying money out for new management from another club.
  • I was excited by his appointment, but it's clear it's not working out 

• If we win 5-0 at the Gills on Tuesday then what? Nigel is king?!

People are so quick to rush through divorce in this age. 

At least give him 10 games!! (3 to go! Phew!) 
    So give him till the end of the month then. It hasn’t been terrible this season, but even if we do a job on Tuesday (this isn’t going to be false sense of belief-we had that against Cheltenham. At least got to get 5 points in the next three games to give us belief that we can do something this season.
    If we dicked by Gillingham, what makes you think we'd then fare any better against Pompey and Bolton who are much better sides?

The only benefit i can see in giving him until the end of the month is that there is then another international break so if he's going to be fired and we act fast in hiring a new manager it then gives the new guy 2 weeks (assuming we get enough call ups) to prepare for a game instead of the current 3-4 days between games.
  • Valley11 said:
    Players don’t become bad overnight do they. 

We all rated Stockley, Matthews etc under bowyer.  

We’ve spent decent money on decent league one players.  Not to mention some very capable loan players.  

The manager is the problem, clearly.
    When you think the players we’ve paid money for….Kirk and DJ weren’t even in the squad, Clare was on the bench and Stockley needs to come out. Not a brilliant reflection on the summer recruitment drive, is it?
    I gave our window 8/10, as did many posters, the consensus seemed that play offs with this squad is a minimum, and I’ll stick by that for now.  I believe NA is the issue. 
  • shirty5 said:
    4 games to turn this around before the next international break. 
    It’s not going to happen though is it. Best deal with the problem now. 
  • I certainly think for his own benefit he needs to hold back on the tweets for now.  I know his last one after Cheltenham was saying he knows there’s work to be done.  This week, I would advise zero tweeting and 100% focus on whatever it is he believes can stop the rot 
  • Gillis said:
    No club should sack its manager after seven games of the season.
    100% agree.
    TS strikes me as an astute guy. That doesn't mean he's infallible or that he shouldn't make changes but it does mean he's someone who makes considered, not hasty decisions, especially in matters of business and investment. Every step he's made and every person he's engaged in his purchase and rebuilding (to date) of the Club underlines that IMO. It's why he's got where he has in business.
    Adkins' appointment would be no different.
    Things are patently not going to plan as yet but that happens, even to the best of managers and biggest of clubs (as Man Utd fans know) and the last thing I want to see is a hasty tearing up of Plan A and return to the revolving door, which we and all football fans know is a disaster.
    IMO Adkins should be given at least half of this season to show what he can do with this squad. That has to mean eventually challenging strongly for top 6, which may look a forlorn hope on form to date but I don't think that's beyond this squad and coaching team.  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!