Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited September 2021
    I don't fully understand the give him more time attitude as it just makes his successors job harder.

Does he look like he knows what he's doing with a squad largely of his choosing, playing his choice of tactics and with a close season in which to get organised? Has there been any real progress or improvement? Can you see this situation really changing? Do you look forward to the next game or quietly dread it? 

I honestly cant see it getting better in the short, or medium term (and we really haven't got time to wait for the long term).
  • Go back to basics get a win .. and then move on … try it without Stockley what could happen ? Last 10 mins today were very good snd we could have walked away with a point …. Let’s learn from them last 10 and try something diff on Tuesday … 
    still long way to go lots of strange results happening weekly … league table only matters after 46 games I still fully expect us to click soon and be top 6 come April 

Pure fantasy
  • I can’t believe some still think TS delivered what he needed to in the transfer window. It’s a total case of denial.

Came on board to step up a level from RD and what do we get?

Clare (Oxford reject), Dobson (Sunderland reject), CBT (league 2 reject), Watson and Pearce renewed, Gunter renewed. 

Fuck sake it was a fucking horrendous window. Issue is I think he recognised it and tried to repair it with Leko but it was all too late and rushed. 

Adkins may not be the messiah and may be made to walk ….. but if he does he will be walking with a wince from being so royally fucked by Tommy Boy.
    We don't really know how any budgetary restraints set by TS hindered the recruitment, but the choice of players wasn't TS's, and he didn't manage the window. The manager and his team chose the players and thats where the buck stops. 
  • Hal1x said:
    I don't fully understand the give him more time attitude as it just makes his successors job harder.

Does he look like he knows what he's doing with a squad largely of his choosing, playing his choice of tactics and with a close season in which to get organised? Has there been any real progress or improvement? Can you see this situation really changing? Do you look forward to the next game or quietly dread it? 

I honestly cant see it getting better in the short, or medium term (and we really haven't got time to wait for the long term).
    The squad isn’t of his choosing. He wanted players for x,y,z positions with x,y,z qualities and the recruitment team got the players we now have. Not exactly of his choosing. He’s been let down on the recruitment front.
  • Hal1x said:
    I can’t believe some still think TS delivered what he needed to in the transfer window. It’s a total case of denial.

Came on board to step up a level from RD and what do we get?

Clare (Oxford reject), Dobson (Sunderland reject), CBT (league 2 reject), Watson and Pearce renewed, Gunter renewed. 

Fuck sake it was a fucking horrendous window. Issue is I think he recognised it and tried to repair it with Leko but it was all too late and rushed. 

Adkins may not be the messiah and may be made to walk ….. but if he does he will be walking with a wince from being so royally fucked by Tommy Boy.
    We don't really know how any budgetary restraints set by TS hindered the recruitment, but the choice of players wasn't TS's, and he didn't manage the window. The manager and his team chose the players and thats where the buck stops. 
    But we know that isn’t the case. The recruitment team recruits the players and the manager has to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
  • TEL said:
    Bed at 2.30am again and another very poor showing. Will I set the alarm for 4.30am Wednesday morning for the Gills?

Ok, Ive had a chance to sleep on it and even had a lengthy chat with the Mrs about Charlton in general this morning.

Firstly, six changes from last week. Should have been a good thing really with the exception of the love in with his Chrissy Gunter. I won't dwell too much on Gunter, Ive seen every minute of every game and I fail to see what he brings to the game....passes backwards and sideways mostly, ball watches and drifts out of position.....fail to see what he brings....end of.

Nigel.....well I watched his pre and post match interviews....before the game a little bolshy and strident about leaving players at the training ground.......then after the game I sensed a big change in his body language, looking at the ceiling, looking off to the side. He looked like he'd rather be somewhere else altogether....same cliches, reflecting this and that, speaking a lot but not really saying anything at all.

Ive mentioned this a few times already but Thomas has really got to take the brunt of the criticism. Yes, I love the bloke for his enthusiasm and the fact that he saved the football club.

However his naivety is beginning to be his undoing. He approached the purchase of Charlton in the same way as he would undertake the integration of buying a similar business in his own profession. It was all about structure, a five year plan and buying in expertise. This in my opinion is where he started to go wrong.

Football as we all know is about results. The first steps should have been about football, not infrastructure, recruiting Technical, commercial people......the outlandish comments he himself made about the Premier league, Europe etc were the warning signs. Yes we lapped it up...who wouldn't after the Duchatelet years.

However my point is, first and foremost to make use of a technical director, technical as we now understand in a way of integrating all parts of the football club as one, nothing to do with the technicalities of the game, you firstly need a team and management on the football side worthy of having something to build upon.

So, Thomas, you got this part arse upwards....team first, the rest can come later...but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

I could go further and criticise the image the club are putting out....to me its not Charlton, its all gone a bit Billy big bollocks with all these shiny media clips set against upbeat music with everyone smiling and having a good time.....cut all this out until you've earned the right.

Nobody at the club right now should be happy and smiling....we are second bottom on goal difference in league one. Given the performances we are exactly where we should be....at the bottom.

So that takes us back to the squad and management team. On paper they are good enough, on the pitch woeful. So if we are calling for Adkins head then Im afraid Id lump in the rest, Roddy, Jacko (yes unpopular I know and I love the bloke) Euell.

Listening to Lee last season and again this year listening to Adkins about managing players minutes....wtf has happened to football? If a player can't last ninety minutes then he isn't fit is he?
    So, why is that? why can other teams put out pretty much the same 11 week in week out Saturday/Tuesday but we can't? Sorry something is wrong here too.

So, if we are having a change in manager, I suggest we need a change in management.....Thomas, you're a clever bloke, you've made a lot of money, don't waste it any longer. 

Put in a football savvy CEO to oversee the club, fuck off all these high profile non football people and get to grips with what matters.....football...not commercial hospitality ladies football Cat 1 academy and glossy media clips and heres the rub Thomas, carry on as we are and the most important thing this club has (Us the fans) will drift away. Once fans find another way of spending their weekends its very difficult to lure them back no matter what sort of campaigns you run to fill the valley. Mate you've gotten ahead of yourself......time to "reflect"

Act swiftly, act now.

👍👏
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    in response to LA above...

Theres no way that we would sign a player the manager doesn't want, so how do you know that was the case, has NA ever said " I was in my office and was told there was a new player waiting in reception!". Only in some weird kind of Belgian fantasy is that ever going to happen. 

They would presumably all initially have had a meeting, with the manager and probably TS or CEO, to decide the sort of players the manager needs, and set the budget. Then the recruitment team would draw up a short list of possible players for the managers approval, and then recruit them, after the final OK from NA/TS/CEO.

Alternatively they may get a sniff that a player is available, but would first consult the manager and paymaster. They would not recruit the player independently, and then tell the manager how he must use him, and how much TS must pay.

You cant simply state that recruitment was solely the responsibility of the recruitment team and wash NA's hands of the whole matter, and therefore you cant blame just one element of the process as you seem to have done.

• Gillis said:
    No club should sack its manager after seven games of the season.

• Great Post Tel. Agree with every word
  • Get him out 
  • edited September 2021
    Gunter had another year left and Watson triggered his extension, according to Airman. 

TS says he really rates our recruitment, but it is a fact that we had to increase our budget and bring in some more quality when the season started and we realised we were miles off it. So that doesn't say much for the recruitment system. 
  • Tough one, I think give him a few more games. The losing matches is concerning yes, but the way we are losing is f#####g frightening, being outplayed by all bar weds and Crewe is far from acceptable. 

• Dazzler21 said:
    Still seeing comments on twitter that Neil Harris was at the game today.

If thats the alternative then Adkins IN!!
    Better the devil you know I think.

Cardiff City
    On 16 November 2019, Harris was appointed manager of Championship side Cardiff City.[25] In his first season, he finished 5th in the league taking Cardiff to the play-off semi-finals against Fulham.

On 21 January 2021, Harris was sacked from Cardiff City.[26] The Bluebirds had initially only won three of their opening 13 fixtures, inviting pressure on Harris. A 4-match winning streak was undone by 6 straight defeats that sealed his fate as manager.[27]
    Surely even Roddy isn’t stupid enough to suggest that appointment 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Have we sunk to such low expectations that we are happy to appoint 2 untried managers just because they are club ‘legends’? It would be a clear sign that Tommy’s master plan for the Prem and Europe was complete guff or a deluded vision based his youth/growth recruitment strategy and willingness to have a go with JJ and JE. My gut tells me that’s exactly what he will do though.. 

Yes, Curbs and Gritty worked out but going with JJ and Euele would be a massive gamble, especially with us already sitting in the bottom 3. I’m not set against it but, personally, something tells me JJ is not management material like Curbs or Powelly. I’m more positive about JE.

All I know is that my £500 ‘top half’ league finish bet looks very precarious after just 7 bloody games. Hard to believe that 22 League 1 teams are better then us! 

Feeling very numb about the Club right now.
  • Good post Tel.

Although, we only seem to look at Adkins or Sandgaard. If funds have been made available and it's the quality of players brought in, in question, shouldn't we also be looking at Gallen and Roddy a bit closer too?
  • Said before the game yesterday that we needed a good performance simply because i wasn't sure where we'd go if we didn't get one. We've played shit all season, so he's changed 6 players and the formation and we've played shit again, so what now? Does he persevere with the same team as yesterday? Does he bring back some of the players who he'd dropped? It seems no matter what he does, the end result is the same.

Personally i feel the players we have are not bad for this level so the only conclusion to be made is that the players are simply not performing for him. We certainly don't have a worse squad than the likes of Crewe, Cambridge, Shrewsbury, Morecambe, Gillingham, Cheltenham etc, but we are below them all. We're conceding bad goals and not creating anything.

If we were scoring goals but leaking them you'd say if we could sort the defence we'd be ok, and vice versa if we looked solid but just couldn't score, then we'd be ok if we finally started scoring. But we have problems at both ends of the pitch and it's simply not good enough.

If we lose at Gillingham (who just got smashed at home 4-1) then i think he's got to go.
  • Alex Neil had Stockley at Preston maybe he could be a good one to know how to get the best out of him
  • rikofold said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Fact is, he's now lost the vast majority of the fanbase. The chants today have shown that.
    Well the majority of the fanbase weren't there today. 

Performances have been woeful, but it's barely been two weeks since the window closed and I think he shoud have the chance to see his signings bed in before we judge him.

That said, lose the next two games and I think argument for him staying dissipates. 
    Good job the majority of the fan base wasn’t there. The calls for his head would be even louder. 

It’s early in the season but there are no indications this is going to get any better. 

He’s floundering - doesn’t know what to do . Last year at this stage we were 8th - now 23rd. 

• edited September 2021
    I don't think managers have the luxury of having a preferred system in the lower leagues. They have to look what they have and maximise that. It feels Adkin's system is lacking two or three players to make it work.
  • edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    I have to agree that Stockley is a big part of the problem. We're hoofing to him because that's the only way to get him the ball. He doesn't run the channels, he doesn't come short, he doesn't bring others into play. He just stands near the defender and calls for it to be lobbed high. It's difficult to get up the pitch, create chances and get shots on target when we can't get the ball to our striker. 

And because Adkins doesn't want to play long ball, we're not set up to play it, and so when we hoof it, there's nobody around him. It's a circle of poo. The players hoof it because they feel like they have to, and we don't have anyone near Stockley because Adkins doesn't want them to hoof it. 

I wondered why we signed him because if NA wants to play football on the floor, and he insists that he does, why have we brought in a massive target man.
    I think Stockley is a far better footballer than he is being allowed to show ATM.
    He needs crosses coming in from the byline coming onto his head, something for him to attack.
    He's also very decent on the ground as we saw with his cool finish a couple of weeks ago.
    The hoofball is a consequence of a total lack of confidence running through the team.
    No one has the courage to take risks, bomb forward in support of the strikers, it's always safety first. 
    I wouldn't disagree with that general assessment, I think it's pretty much spot on, I just don't think he's that good of a footballer. And it's quite hard to get to the byline or even up the pitch when you can't give the ball to your striker at some point. Stockley never shows for it. You can literally see him waving for it to be played high and long into him. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!