Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    If he has gone we are getting a battling point away at Sunderland, nailed on.  Money going on it.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Who’d love to see Curbs and Brownie in the dugout vs Sunderland on Saturday?
    My thoughts yesterday. Brownie has identified a lot of the defensive problems.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    CH4RLTON said:
    Love 'em both, but no.

While I'm here, what time do people reckon the club twitter feed will break radio silence today?
  • Options
    I think because there’s no outright denial and public backing, along with “no statement on Adkins tonight”, I think sandgaard and co want to announce his replacement before announcing his sacking. 
    I think that's likely 👍
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Is Laudrop still an option? (Anyone of them will do, Michael Brian, Agnitha)
    very fitting name. If we have to get relegated,  we may as well go down with a bang
  • Options
    Adkinswatch - his car is in the training ground car park 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    My thoughts yesterday. Brownie has identified a lot of the defensive problems.
    But I don't think he's shown anything to show he could actually solve it. His own record is far from stellar. 

His comments are accurate but I think most people could spot the issues he did, that does not mean that just anyone could take the job. 
  • Options
    Several valued posters on here said yesterday that he'd gone.

I think we'll get an announcement early today.

No way he'll still be in charge on Saturday 
    I would not bet on it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Saying goodbye to the players and collecting his things hopefully. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    If he has gone we are getting a battling point away at Sunderland, nailed on.  Money going on it.

New manager bounce of...."we better give more effort in this game so it will make it look like Adkins was from another planet and didn't have a clue"

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    But has he given back the keys?

• Options
    I still have a nagging suspicion he'll be in charge on Saturday. Would sacking him today give whoever is taking the team Saturday enough time to work on things?
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    dickad1 said:
    Everything I have ever read about Adkins points to him being a good man. He has clearly come to the club wanting to achieve success and for whatever reason that unfortunately has not happened. I am sure nobody is more gutted about that than him. I am sure his pay off will be a substantial sum however I doubt it is anything he is going to be able to retire on and he will clearly have to find work elsewhere with his reputation significantly weakened to what it was when he took us over. 

I know football managers are paid good money and it perhaps comes with the territory however it must have been a very lonely few weeks for him. I personally cannot think of anything worse than being stood in the middle of a football stadium with thousands of fans chanting about your impending demise, I have been in a job before where I've known I'm in over my head and its a terrible feeling. It must be even worse when your failure is in the public spotlight, either in your place of work like it has been for Adkins and all over the Internet as well.

I have posted myself over the last few weeks that a change is probably needed however I must admit the very public lynching of managers does make me a little uncomfortable, I am not just talking about Adkins but in general. I've been guilty of it myself and its easy to do as almost all of our collective loyalty is to our club and not the manager and results for our club have been really poor this season.

If Adkins does go which looks likely then he will go with my best wishes. Sometimes things work out in life and sometimes they don't. I am sure he has tried his best and will be as disappointed as us that it has not worked out as he planned. Nobody takes a job with the intention of not succeeding.

Well said, great post! Sums up my own feelings much better than I could have expressed them. 
    If he is that good a man then perhaps he should walk, the only thing he seems good at, rather than wait to be pushed! The abuse he seems to be getting on social media is unacceptable but chants at a football ground when his ineptitude is clear for all to see is part and parcel of being a failed manager. If he can't accept that then a career change is needed if in fact he does need another job after this one. 

Well perhaps although I would hedge a bet that no matter how nice a guy someone is they are unlikely to walk away from a job knowing they are due a payoff. Especially in such an uncertain climate as football, who can say when he will find another job? 

It is never nice not succeeding in your line of work,  that's the same whether you earn £9 an hour or £90 an hour.  Has NA succeeded in this job so far? I think even he would say no. Has he given it his best shot? I'm sure he has and I've heard nothing to suggest he's skiving training or sat watching netflix in his office.

It's rubbish not doing well at a job, take that from me I've been there. It was irrelevant how much I was recompensed because no amount of money made the feeling of not succeeding any better. It's a horrible, lonely place to be. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I cannot imagine what it would have been like in front of a national audience. 

As I said before I have not seen anything portraying NA as anything other than a good person. His morning videos might not be my cup of tea but they are clearly about injecting some positivity into people's lives and trying to improve people's mental health. He doesn't have to do them, and people don't have to like them and I understood the gentle mocking he got for them and I'm sure he knew they'd be open to ridicule as well. But using them as some form of stick to beat and mock him with as he stares down the barrel of the sack feels a little unfair.

As others have said people can want a change of direction at the club and still respect that a man has tried his best and wish him well. Being branded a failure, useless, inept etc i imagine hurts regardless of whether you are on 20k a year or 250k a year.

Absolutely spot on!
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I still have a nagging suspicion he'll be in charge on Saturday. Would sacking him today give whoever is taking the team Saturday enough time to work on things?
    If he gets sacked today JJ will take charge Saturday wheather we bring in a new manager or not.
  • Options
    My guess is 1pm.

What do i win?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Well no, but it’s not really a game we are expected to win anyway so with that in mind it’s not as much of an issue.

As I and others have said we should have had someone new in charge against Fleetwood, used that as hopefully a confidence builder - worked hard on the training ground during the international break and maybe we would have got something out of the Lincoln and Accrington games. 

Even the Fleetwood win for Adkins didn’t necessarily show a new confident style of football. We were just a little more effective as a team as poor as us. Should never have been used as a barometer to keep him on if he won.
  • Options
    My guess is 1pm.

What do i win?
    A walk is round the training ground with Nigel Adkins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    If he gets sacked today JJ will take charge Saturday wheather we bring in a new manager or not.
    I think it'd be Euell to take charge for Saturday if Adkins gets binned today
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    I’d love to see Seed and Trotter in the dugout vs Sunderland on Saturday (Sunderland owe JS) but that ain’t gonna happen either. 
  • Options
    Thursday is the day for Nigel’s five minute inaudible/incomprehensible pre match press conference.
    The usual highlight is hearing Nigel answer a question that has taken an age to ask and is mumbled and convoluted.
    The only interest is contemplating what on earth has been asked by trying to follow the answers.
    If there is no Adkins press conference on Charlton TV today it will be a relief, not because he has gone, but because it is stressful trying to figure out what question he is answering.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Not me. I really don’t get the desire for brown. He has had two non league managerial jobs and two sackings. At least Adkins is failing in the professional leagues
    Talks a good game though.
    Bit like the bloke up the pub  ;)
    A bit like the majority of us on here. An International goalkeeper once said to me it’s better to have been a has been than a never have been 😉
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Well no, but it’s not really a game we are expected to win anyway so with that in mind it’s not as much of an issue.

As I and others have said we should have had someone new in charge against Fleetwood, used that as hopefully a confidence builder - worked hard on the training ground during the international break and maybe we would have got something out of the Lincoln and Accrington games. 

Even the Fleetwood win for Adkins didn’t necessarily show a new confident style of football. We were just a little more effective as a team as poor as us. Should never have been used as a barometer to keep him on if he won.

Absolutely agree with you on the Fleetwood point , that should have been when he went , would have given the new man 2 weeks to really work on the training ground and get their ideas and style across. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Agreed. TS has spoken about JJ getting the gig one day and I think he’d be wary of the potential backlash from fans if he sacked JJ so I can’t see him going. 

Not sure if that will mean stepping back if the new guy wants his own assistant though. 

Maybe JJ is the new guy
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Agreed. TS has spoken about JJ getting the gig one day and I think he’d be wary of the potential backlash from fans if he sacked JJ so I can’t see him going. 

Not sure if that will mean stepping back if the new guy wants his own assistant though. 

Maybe JJ is the new guy
    I don’t think there would be an enormous backlash if JJ got sacked.  There would be unhappiness and sympathy for him but I for one wouldn’t be getting my pitchfork sharpened. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Maybe JJ is the new guy
    I don’t think there would be an enormous backlash if JJ got sacked.  There would be unhappiness and sympathy for him but I for one wouldn’t be getting my pitchfork sharpened. 
    One day does not mean today.

Better if he gets some proper managerial experience somewhere else.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

One last walk around the ground
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!