Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    If there is a God, he'll be offered the Newcastle United job....
    Shearer’s been there, done that and got the T shirt 😉.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:
    It’s absolutely right that he’s let go. 

But some of the stuff being put out on social media is out of order.
    He’s a decent human being, just not a very good football manager.
    People have such a blood lust. 
    What’s being put on social media?
    Dick pics

Dick Tydeman!

He was my hero 40-odd years ago!

Tydeman was your hero ???

Strange choice, but each to their own !!!
    Well, okay ..... let's just say at the time Dick Tydeman was the nearest we had to a midfield creative genius in the team.

Imagine Claus Jensen with one leg, no pace but still able to occasionally make the killer pass. That was our Dick. :wink:

Tydeman was and will always be my favourite Charlton player. 
  • Options
    Can someone provide a quick summary of those on the other side of the world who've just woken up ... has he gone ?
  • Options
    dickad1 said:
    Everything I have ever read about Adkins points to him being a good man. He has clearly come to the club wanting to achieve success and for whatever reason that unfortunately has not happened. I am sure nobody is more gutted about that than him. I am sure his pay off will be a substantial sum however I doubt it is anything he is going to be able to retire on and he will clearly have to find work elsewhere with his reputation significantly weakened to what it was when he took us over. 

I know football managers are paid good money and it perhaps comes with the territory however it must have been a very lonely few weeks for him. I personally cannot think of anything worse than being stood in the middle of a football stadium with thousands of fans chanting about your impending demise, I have been in a job before where I've known I'm in over my head and its a terrible feeling. It must be even worse when your failure is in the public spotlight, either in your place of work like it has been for Adkins and all over the Internet as well.

I have posted myself over the last few weeks that a change is probably needed however I must admit the very public lynching of managers does make me a little uncomfortable, I am not just talking about Adkins but in general. I've been guilty of it myself and its easy to do as almost all of our collective loyalty is to our club and not the manager and results for our club have been really poor this season.

If Adkins does go which looks likely then he will go with my best wishes. Sometimes things work out in life and sometimes they don't. I am sure he has tried his best and will be as disappointed as us that it has not worked out as he planned. Nobody takes a job with the intention of not succeeding.

Well said, great post! Sums up my own feelings much better than I could have expressed them. 
    If he is that good a man then perhaps he should walk, the only thing he seems good at, rather than wait to be pushed! The abuse he seems to be getting on social media is unacceptable but chants at a football ground when his ineptitude is clear for all to see is part and parcel of being a failed manager. If he can't accept that then a career change is needed if in fact he does need another job after this one.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Valley11 said:
    It’s absolutely right that he’s let go. 

But some of the stuff being put out on social media is out of order.
    He’s a decent human being, just not a very good football manager.
    People have such a blood lust. 
    What’s being put on social media?
    Dick pics

Dick Tydeman!

He was my hero 40-odd years ago!

Tydeman was your hero ???

Strange choice, but each to their own !!!
    Well, okay ..... let's just say at the time Dick Tydeman was the nearest we had to a midfield creative genius in the team.

Imagine Claus Jensen with one leg, no pace but still able to occasionally make the killer pass. That was our Dick. :wink:

Tydeman was and will always be my favourite Charlton player. 
    Remember Dick Tydeman. Always came across as being very perceptive of what needed to be done to split the defence, but sometimes the touch was too light, or he gave it too much wellie. Yet when it worked, sheer magic. Always tried to give 100%, and played for the shirt. Hero? Yes, in as much he was a hero amongst heroes at the time! Far cry from.....    
  • Options
    I'm sure Adkins will have his own view of what has gone wrong and all of the blame may not lie at his door with that view. The pay off will ensure he doesn't share it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People misunderstanding what the fan advisor is there to do… not at all surprised by that.
    I quite agree Callum.

Her earlier tweet at 1354 today could have made clear that it is not within her gift to provide an update on such matters. But instead I can see that using the sentence "i have asked the club if there are any plans for an update or statement from TS" would perhaps confuse some around her remit.

• Options
    After Tydeman retired he joined my company and I trained him, he was the nicest person you could imagine, and a half decent midfielder
    He is a smashing fella Red, loads of great stories and half decent golfer too, glad you found him as a nice guy.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    dickad1 said:
    Everything I have ever read about Adkins points to him being a good man. He has clearly come to the club wanting to achieve success and for whatever reason that unfortunately has not happened. I am sure nobody is more gutted about that than him. I am sure his pay off will be a substantial sum however I doubt it is anything he is going to be able to retire on and he will clearly have to find work elsewhere with his reputation significantly weakened to what it was when he took us over. 

I know football managers are paid good money and it perhaps comes with the territory however it must have been a very lonely few weeks for him. I personally cannot think of anything worse than being stood in the middle of a football stadium with thousands of fans chanting about your impending demise, I have been in a job before where I've known I'm in over my head and its a terrible feeling. It must be even worse when your failure is in the public spotlight, either in your place of work like it has been for Adkins and all over the Internet as well.

I have posted myself over the last few weeks that a change is probably needed however I must admit the very public lynching of managers does make me a little uncomfortable, I am not just talking about Adkins but in general. I've been guilty of it myself and its easy to do as almost all of our collective loyalty is to our club and not the manager and results for our club have been really poor this season.

If Adkins does go which looks likely then he will go with my best wishes. Sometimes things work out in life and sometimes they don't. I am sure he has tried his best and will be as disappointed as us that it has not worked out as he planned. Nobody takes a job with the intention of not succeeding.

Well said, great post! Sums up my own feelings much better than I could have expressed them. 
    If he is that good a man then perhaps he should walk, the only thing he seems good at, rather than wait to be pushed! The abuse he seems to be getting on social media is unacceptable but chants at a football ground when his ineptitude is clear for all to see is part and parcel of being a failed manager. If he can't accept that then a career change is needed if in fact he does need another job after this one. 

Well perhaps although I would hedge a bet that no matter how nice a guy someone is they are unlikely to walk away from a job knowing they are due a payoff. Especially in such an uncertain climate as football, who can say when he will find another job? 

It is never nice not succeeding in your line of work,  that's the same whether you earn £9 an hour or £90 an hour.  Has NA succeeded in this job so far? I think even he would say no. Has he given it his best shot? I'm sure he has and I've heard nothing to suggest he's skiving training or sat watching netflix in his office.

It's rubbish not doing well at a job, take that from me I've been there. It was irrelevant how much I was recompensed because no amount of money made the feeling of not succeeding any better. It's a horrible, lonely place to be. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I cannot imagine what it would have been like in front of a national audience. 

As I said before I have not seen anything portraying NA as anything other than a good person. His morning videos might not be my cup of tea but they are clearly about injecting some positivity into people's lives and trying to improve people's mental health. He doesn't have to do them, and people don't have to like them and I understood the gentle mocking he got for them and I'm sure he knew they'd be open to ridicule as well. But using them as some form of stick to beat and mock him with as he stares down the barrel of the sack feels a little unfair.

As others have said people can want a change of direction at the club and still respect that a man has tried his best and wish him well. Being branded a failure, useless, inept etc i imagine hurts regardless of whether you are on 20k a year or 250k a year.

I have no doubt that he is a good man and I don't disagree with what you say but he accepted a job with a good salary knowing he would be in the limelight with no guarantee of success. As I said personal abuse on social media is unnecessary and unacceptable but he has failed miserably and his link with Charlton is less than a year, he will walk away with a decent wedge whereas thousands of supporters who are quite rightly chanting Adkins out have put a large chunk of their life's into supporting the club at the cost of thousands of pounds. I am sorry but I know where my sympathy lies.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    TS likes a tweet where a fan points out another fan has no idea what’s going on behind the scenes.

What's going on behind the scenes then?

I think it means Nigel Adkins is on his way out
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Scoham said:
    TS likes a tweet where a fan points out another fan has no idea what’s going on behind the scenes.

What's going on behind the scenes then?

I think it means Nigel Adkins is on his way out
    Who knows? But it does suggest to me that a lack of "visible" activity does not necessarily mean that nothing is actually happening. Whether that is sorting out legal/contract stuff or making plans for the next step I don't think that it's a case of Sandgaard's thinking everything is fine and dandy. 
  • Options
    The longer Sandgaard leaves Adkins in charge, the worse it will get. If he is charge on Saturday and we lose up at Sunderland we could be 7 points adrift in the relegation places. Now is not the time for waiting. Announce he has gone first thing tomorrow morning and we can move forward on from a manager that has been tactically naive this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can someone provide a quick summary of those on the other side of the world who've just woken up ... has he gone ?
    Nothing to report from 10:58am Thursday morning,  I'm afraid. You might want to try me again me again when i get to 9pm Thursday evening.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    not a usual source of mine but somebody who has contacts at the club told me the deed is being done tonight 
     Doing the deed (DTD) has another meaning on certain dating forums...😃
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    Good to see Cables rediscovering a bit of his Charltonlife creative magic, rather than slating every Charlton player like they’re his mum’s new boyfriend. 
    Lol - Gunter is toilet though! 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    not a usual source of mine but somebody who has contacts at the club told me the deed is being done tonight 
     Doing the deed (DTD) has another meaning on certain dating forums...😃
    As has 'Doing a Golfie'.
  • Options
    I'm sure Adkins will have his own view of what has gone wrong and all of the blame may not lie at his door with that view. The pay off will ensure he doesn't share it.
    8 million should do it
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Adkins should, of course, have gone weeks ago. The obvious time to get rid was the international break. The win just before it fooled nobody.
    This ongoing delay and uncertainty helps no one especially with an away game so far away.
    This.

The last 2 defeats could & probably would gave been avoided if Adkins had gone during the International. It would have given the new manager time to instill done basics into the players.

As Boris said.......more dither & delay. 
    The international break would have been perfect for the new person to work with the players

Alternatively, if TS and Roddy felt Nigel deserved more time to work with the players, then the Lincoln game should have been the final straw, as after 2 weeks of work, we got worse

If Nigel had been removed by Adkins, even just from new manager bounce, I'm sure Jacko or Euell as caretakers would have got something from last night
    But we went in the break on the back of two wins ?? 
    Drivel as per usual. A Papa John's trophy win against some no mark under 23's team doesn't count for shit, and 9 points from 13 games tells you more than enough. 
  • Options
    Really can’t believe he is still here. Could be carnage tomorrow.
    Lets be honest Pete what is the worst that will happen, we are Charlton, not MIllwall, Leeds etc.

I read comments on here saying it will be "toxic". 

If we lose there will be chanting and booing from less than a couple of thousand fans, at the end of the game the tunnel will be quickly extended, Nigel will hurry down it and we all go home and kick the cat.

Charlton do not do carnage, toxic, intimidation etc. 
    Charlton don’t do carnage, toxic & intimidation….

Oh I don’t know , I think all 3 of those things apply to the beer dished up at the valley.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!