Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans’ Forum - Thursday 16th September 2021

1234568»

Comments

• Options

After (too) many years of neglect hopefully our club is now in transition to a brighter future. It won't happen overnight and the process won't be without some missteps along the way. Change will confront trivial issues as well as much more fundamental ones. At least we are assured of the current owner's good intentions, which is a major advance. With patience and goodwill on all sides the important insights which are emerging will help the club finally start to achieve the progress that is so long overdue.

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    the team on the pitch will fill the Stadium end of :)
    Yeah, those youtuber lads. 
  • Options
    Maybe the public address system was a less fundamental issue than Bovril. Having looked at the minutes I can’t see it mentioned anywhere.
  • Options
    Everyone knows the best way to motivate people to attend is a winning team. No one is arguing against that.

But there are things that also demotivate some people from attending.

Those things will vary for each individual but some serious demotivators might be fear of violence, racism or other abuse.

Other less serious but still important things it might be long queues, poor views, ticket prices, poor parking options, poor food and drink, dirty toilets, poor stewarding etc etc

It might not stop YOU going but it might make it less attractive to people coming for the first time or wondering if they should come back after an absence.

Imagine bringing a friend or a child and their first experience of the Valley was a long queue for food/drink with a cold or badly served item at the end of it? Or dirty toilets? Or as per a recent thread a steward being rude to a parent?  How motivated are they to come back?

We forget sometimes that we're the hardcore fanatics/nutters who come regardless. Not everyone is like that or starts out like that. We were all potential fans once.

There is also a financial issue. If it takes too long to sell beer then you're losing sales and so income. If the Bovril isn't good then that person might not bother next week. 

Remember the moans about the ST offers? The free drink etc etc. It clearly matters to many.

I rarely if ever buy food or drink in the ground because it's too expensive, the choice is poor and I don't go to football to eat. I drink away from the ground.

That's all lost income.

So Bovril matters. It's not as urgent as three points tonight but it is important and the Fans Forum was designed to be the place to raise those sort of issues whether we're top of the league or bottom.
    Great post HI.
  • Options
    the only thing that can really fill the stadium is the team on the pitch.....
    That’s true, but for a lot of people who will attend regardless of how shit we are, why should we accept the bits of the day that are usually enjoyable also being shit? 

We’re miles away from filling the stadium but that doesn’t mean that the basics should be forgotten about. People value their pints, Bovrils and potato wedges! 
  • Options
    Everyone knows the best way to motivate people to attend is a winning team. No one is arguing against that.

Those things will vary for each individual but some serious demotivators might be fear of violence, racism or other abuse.

Other less serious but still important things it might be long queues, poor views, ticket prices, poor parking options, poor food and drink, dirty toilets, poor stewarding etc etc

It might not stop YOU going but it might make it less attractive to people coming for the first time or wondering if they should come back after an absence.

Imagine bringing a friend or a child and their first experience of the Valley was a long queue for food/drink with a cold or badly served item at the end of it? Or dirty toilets? Or as per a recent thread a steward being rude to a parent?  How motivated are they to come back?

We forget sometimes that we're the hardcore fanatics/nutters who come regardless. Not everyone is like that or starts out like that. We were all potential fans once.

There is also a financial issue. If it takes too long to sell beer then you're losing sales and so income. If the Bovril isn't good then that person might not bother next week. 

Remember the moans about the ST offers? The free drink etc etc. It clearly matters to many.

I rarely if ever buy food or drink in the ground because it's too expensive, the choice is poor and I don't go to football to eat. I drink away from the ground.

That's all lost income.

So Bovril matters. It's not as urgent as three points tonight but it is important and the Fans Forum was designed to be the place to raise those sort of issues whether we're top of the league or bottom.
    The queue is the thing which puts me off most of all, this isn't unique to Charlton as most sporting venues have that issue

Imagine you went to a local pub, and realised you'd have to wait 10/15 minutes just to get served? You'd think "8888 that" and go elsewhere
  • Options

That's all lost income.

You were right the other Saturday, they will let anyone in there these days!
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Second from bottom in League One and fans are moaning about f**king Bovril, embarrassing
    Reminded me of an intense supporters group meeting in the board room with Meire, someone complained about the kiosks removing the lid from soft drink bottles. For a moment I hated that person more than her!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t really think you can complain about not receiving a response from a volunteer. I’m not a fan of the role but I doubt it’s reasonable to have expectations of the person doing it for nothing within a professional organisation.
    So why advertise the email to make contact with her?
    Very disappointing, and bad manners.
    A pointless position created without communication
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    razil said:
    (Quick reaction not the minutes)

Best FF I’ve been to, potentially my last though as City Addicks may fold shortly.

TS being there with his key directors is a huge big deal, because he can hear feedback and steer his team and that is what he did.

I was impressed with him and the buy in he seems to have into engagement and development of the support.

A lot of ground covered due to the 2 year gap (I’m told) and a lot going on with the squad stuff so long meeting.

No sandwiches in sight not even a biscuit.. ;)

Edit: I directed Lucy to this CL thread prior to the meeting, so at least some of the issues raised here would have been noted
    Who else was there apart from TS?

Pretty surprised that the clubs Fan Liaison Officer doesn't come on the clubs biggest fans forum. Even if she doesn't post anything you'd expect she'd at least want to have a browse just to see what's going on and what fans are saying about certain things.

How do we know that she doesn't come on and have a browse? I suspect that it's highly likely that she does, given her role. And if she does, I don't blame her at all for not advertising the fact in order to avoid getting dragged into things or having her every word - or personal view as a supporter - picked over as if it's an official club statement.

From what I've seen from Lifers posts and elsewhere, she's doing a pretty good job too. IIRC, she's got the Fans Forum up and running again (successfully, based on @Razil's view); she's written columns for the website; she's written a column for the programme; she's met I think most - if not all - the fan groups; she's done an interview with TS where she put forward genuine questions from fans that maybe some people wouldn't have asked; she tweets and gets involved in discussions with fans. Other Lifers have referred to her replying to their emails and queries promptly, and I've seen her in the Fans Bar before and after games this season talking to supporters. Bearing in mind that it's an unpaid role and again, IIRC, she has a full-time job, whether she posts on here to my mind is neither here nor there given how much she is already communicating/relatively accessible.

As far as I'm concerned the Fan Adviser (agree Fan Liaison would be a better title) has been a good appointment by the club and she and they deserve credit for the way they're going about it. Not everything is perfect about it and never could be (we're a tough crowd to please!), but IMHO I think it's a bit unfair to have a little dig - especially given that we don't know whether she is on here or not.     

Have sent an email three weeks ago to her, still no reply.  Very disappointing.
    Did you offer to discuss your issue over dinner at your expense mate 😉
    I did, and sent her over the restaurants available offering the discount voucher code.
  • Options
    razil said:

Best FF I’ve been to, potentially my last though as City Addicks may fold shortly.

TS being there with his key directors is a huge big deal, because he can hear feedback and steer his team and that is what he did.

I was impressed with him and the buy in he seems to have into engagement and development of the support.

A lot of ground covered due to the 2 year gap (I’m told) and a lot going on with the squad stuff so long meeting.

Edit: I directed Lucy to this CL thread prior to the meeting, so at least some of the issues raised here would have been noted

Pretty surprised that the clubs Fan Liaison Officer doesn't come on the clubs biggest fans forum. Even if she doesn't post anything you'd expect she'd at least want to have a browse just to see what's going on and what fans are saying about certain things.

How do we know that she doesn't come on and have a browse? I suspect that it's highly likely that she does, given her role. And if she does, I don't blame her at all for not advertising the fact in order to avoid getting dragged into things or having her every word - or personal view as a supporter - picked over as if it's an official club statement.

From what I've seen from Lifers posts and elsewhere, she's doing a pretty good job too. IIRC, she's got the Fans Forum up and running again (successfully, based on @Razil's view); she's written columns for the website; she's written a column for the programme; she's met I think most - if not all - the fan groups; she's done an interview with TS where she put forward genuine questions from fans that maybe some people wouldn't have asked; she tweets and gets involved in discussions with fans. Other Lifers have referred to her replying to their emails and queries promptly, and I've seen her in the Fans Bar before and after games this season talking to supporters. Bearing in mind that it's an unpaid role and again, IIRC, she has a full-time job, whether she posts on here to my mind is neither here nor there given how much she is already communicating/relatively accessible.

As far as I'm concerned the Fan Adviser (agree Fan Liaison would be a better title) has been a good appointment by the club and she and they deserve credit for the way they're going about it. Not everything is perfect about it and never could be (we're a tough crowd to please!), but IMHO I think it's a bit unfair to have a little dig - especially given that we don't know whether she is on here or not.     

Have you chased it up ? Quite possibly inadvertently lost/deleted particularly if she was deluged with contacts.
    I'll keep you posted, I have given her x time now time to ask again.
  • Options
    razil said:

Have you chased it up ? Quite possibly inadvertently lost/deleted particularly if she was deluged with contacts.
    After but not before you complained on here !

I’m sure the volunteer will get back to you as soon as they can. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:

That's all lost income.

You were right the other Saturday, they will let anyone in there these days!

I'm having a word with the steward next week to check memberships @DA9   ;)
  • Options
    Does anybody know if the International Fans Forum meeting is still going ahead this coming Thursday 28th October 2021.
  • Options
    razil said:

I'm not sure how volunteering allows a good few weeks to reply to an email.
  • Options
    razil said:

Presumably because its not the only thing they have going on.
  • Options
    razil said:

Indeed, but a few weeks is taking the rise though. Would you not agree? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    razil said:

Indeed, but a few weeks is taking the rise though. Would you not agree? 
    Well potentially yes BUT I don't know if there has been any acknowledgment of the email , how chased etc.

My original point was it was possible the individual was deluged with a high volume and may have lost sight of it; gone to a  junk / spam folder etc.  And to 'complain' on here as the 1st step seemed the wrong approach. Who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

The charity shops open on time.
  • Options
    razil said:

The charity shops open on time.
    Who employ people as well as use volunteers
  • Options
    Still no minutes from last night's meeting.

What  are they keeping from us?
  • Options
    Still no minutes from last night's meeting.

What  are they keeping from us?
    Was it the England semi final when there was a meeting and a couple of posters got the hump because we wasn't updated that night?